Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I walked around town for the first time in years today... 15:07 - Oct 15 with 8171 viewsGammon

And the city is an eyesore. Let’s face it - Swansea city centre is a sh*thole.

I spend a lot of time in Bristol and Cardiff with work and they’re simply on a different planet compared to the drab, depressing city which Swansea is now.

I couldn’t get over how many shops were closed in town, and how quiet it was. And the few people who were ‘shopping’ were either drunk, high on some kind of banned substance or unemployed.

No suits or city types anywhere - just homeless, people drinking and smoking drugs.

Boarded up shops everywhere. A million Greggs, Costas and that’s about it.

The council need sacking - all of them.
[Post edited 15 Oct 2019 15:09]
I walked around town for the first time in years today... on 23:01 - Oct 15 with 1744 viewslifelong

I enjoy my weekly visit to the City Centre, brings back so many memories.

Some very good produce on sale in the market, a couple of very good butchers and fruit and veg merchants, often have a Thai lunch there.
I walked around town for the first time in years today... on 23:07 - Oct 15 with 1731 viewsbonymine

I walked around town for the first time in years today... on 22:07 - Oct 15 by pikeypaul

The general area of Swansea is a far better place to life than Cardiff certainly, but due to zero investment down here and £100s of millions thrown at crapdiff the city centres are incomparable.

All we have is scummy bookmakers,charity shops,pound shops and the likes of primark catering to the less affluent in society which is all you see when walking around our city centre.

Once Debenhams goes and it will within 18 months it will be even worse.

Can’t argue with this assessment tbh ....Pretty, Shitty City would be great if I could see the word ‘pretty’ at any time there .....!!

Poll: Why is this site so quiet these days ?

I walked around town for the first time in years today... on 00:30 - Oct 16 with 1659 viewsTNT

What's that new shithole they've built next to The Owain Glyndwr? It must've cost a fortune.

Poll: Would you make goalposts bigger?

I walked around town for the first time in years today... on 08:11 - Oct 16 with 1524 viewsoh_tommy_tommy

I walked around town for the first time in years today... on 16:40 - Oct 15 by raynor94

Well, seeing its being demolished for redevelopment it would be

👏🏻

Indeed
It’ll get there slowly but it’s getting there

Poll: DO you support the uk getting involved in Syria

I walked around town for the first time in years today... on 08:29 - Oct 16 with 1508 viewsGowerjack

Two things..

Swansea City centre is an eyesore due to a lack of investment by local & central govt, a series of ill thought out and poorly realised planning decisions and the rise of out of town shopping centres.

And

Ther is no such place as "the Gower" as I believe I may have mentioned on several occasions on this forum..

Plastic since 1974
Poll: Is ECB for tyranny?

I walked around town for the first time in years today... on 08:40 - Oct 16 with 1494 viewsLord_Bony

All to do with the weather and time of year.

Any city, especially London looks really drab and miserable when it's pissing down.

Similarly, Swansea with the marina and beach look great in sunny weather. Had some friends down and we took a visit in the summer, they couldn't get over it how beautiful it was.

It holds its own,I live in Cardiff but Swansea has a totally different (better) character to it.

This post has been edited by an administrator

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"
Poll: iS tHERE lIFE aFTER dEATH

I walked around town for the first time in years today... on 08:53 - Oct 16 with 1478 viewsoh_tommy_tommy

I walked around town for the first time in years today... on 08:40 - Oct 16 by Lord_Bony

All to do with the weather and time of year.

Any city, especially London looks really drab and miserable when it's pissing down.

Similarly, Swansea with the marina and beach look great in sunny weather. Had some friends down and we took a visit in the summer, they couldn't get over it how beautiful it was.

It holds its own,I live in Cardiff but Swansea has a totally different (better) character to it.

This post has been edited by an administrator

You poor man

Poll: DO you support the uk getting involved in Syria

I walked around town for the first time in years today... on 09:08 - Oct 16 with 1453 viewsMrSwerve

I walked around town for the first time in years today... on 21:18 - Oct 15 by Swanjaxs

So you claim to live in the Gower and you walked around town today for the first time in years?...

I smell bullshìt

To be fair, I lived down the SA1 Waterfront for 5 years and I think I walked beyond Wind St probably twice in that time!

Poll: Decision day - who wins the PL title?

Login to get fewer ads

I walked around town for the first time in years today... on 09:10 - Oct 16 with 1450 viewsLord_Bony

I walked around town for the first time in years today... on 08:53 - Oct 16 by oh_tommy_tommy

You poor man

All to do with business Tom Bach these days...still hard being a Jack down here.😂

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"

I walked around town for the first time in years today... on 09:14 - Oct 16 with 1442 viewsLord_Bony

I walked around town for the first time in years today... on 09:08 - Oct 16 by MrSwerve

To be fair, I lived down the SA1 Waterfront for 5 years and I think I walked beyond Wind St probably twice in that time!

You cannot be serious?😊

I walked around town for the first time in years today... on 10:02 - Oct 16 with 1394 viewsUxbridge

Swansea has been consistently ignored by the Senedd. Ironically we've probably done better than most other areas. I had the misfortune of spending some time in Bridgend the other week and it was beyond bleak. Neath is no different, Llanelli, pretty much every town in the country has been ignored by the centralisation of so much public funds into anything with a low CF postcode.

The council has mismanaged things spectacularly too of course. More artists impressions of regeneration plans than a magistrates sketch artist.

Blog: Whose money is it anyway?

I walked around town for the first time in years today... on 13:49 - Oct 17 with 1221 viewsEbo

I walked around town for the first time in years today... on 16:40 - Oct 15 by raynor94

Well, seeing its being demolished for redevelopment it would be

Even before they fenced it off it was full of poor sods sleeping rough and around by the bridge / car park area, lots of left behind drug paraphernalia.

Thank you, goodnight and bollocks
Poll: What couldn't you live without?

I walked around town for the first time in years today... on 13:51 - Oct 17 with 1218 viewsEbo

I walked around town for the first time in years today... on 18:44 - Oct 15 by exhmrc1

Lets face the facts.
The quadrant has 2 empty shops including its smallest store.
Every unit on Whitewalls is taken from Oxford Street to New Look.
There is 1 empty store on Lower Union Street.
There about half a dozen outlets available for let in the market.
There are about 1/2 dozen empty stores on Oxford Street including Select which has recently closed and Thomas Cook which will be reopening as Hays.
Does that make it a shithole. I dont think so. Decide for yourself.

What about the empty units near Denny's? There are quite a few that have been empty for quite some time now.

I walked around town for the first time in years today... on 13:53 - Oct 17 with 1215 viewsEbo

I walked around town for the first time in years today... on 22:07 - Oct 15 by pikeypaul

The general area of Swansea is a far better place to life than Cardiff certainly, but due to zero investment down here and £100s of millions thrown at crapdiff the city centres are incomparable.

All we have is scummy bookmakers,charity shops,pound shops and the likes of primark catering to the less affluent in society which is all you see when walking around our city centre.

Once Debenhams goes and it will within 18 months it will be even worse.

"the likes of primark catering to the less affluent in society"

You judgmental bell whiff.

I walked around town for the first time in years today... on 14:06 - Oct 17 with 1200 viewsLohengrin

I walked around town for the first time in years today... on 13:53 - Oct 17 by Ebo

"the likes of primark catering to the less affluent in society"

You judgmental bell whiff.

Bad taste transcends the contents of a wallet, Eb. It puts a spotlight on the void where discernment ought to be.

Any esthete inwardly shudders at the mention of Primark with its acres of hangered crimplene.

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

I walked around town for the first time in years today... on 14:09 - Oct 17 with 1196 viewsEbo

I walked around town for the first time in years today... on 14:06 - Oct 17 by Lohengrin

Bad taste transcends the contents of a wallet, Eb. It puts a spotlight on the void where discernment ought to be.

Any esthete inwardly shudders at the mention of Primark with its acres of hangered crimplene.

Lots of low income / unemployed people in Swansea and the surrounding area Loh. I don't judge people because they shop in Primark to clothe themselves because of the situation they are in.

I walked around town for the first time in years today... on 14:30 - Oct 17 with 1181 viewsMrSwerve

I walked around town for the first time in years today... on 09:14 - Oct 16 by Lord_Bony

You cannot be serious?😊

Genuinely. Maybe twice is a slight exaggeration but it's certainly not more than a handful of times. I'm not sure why you'd want to walk into and around town any more, to be honest. The only time I tend to be dragged into there is when the misses wants to see the 'pretty sheds' at Christmas time.

They need to make Castle Gardens green again.

Poll: Decision day - who wins the PL title?

I walked around town for the first time in years today... on 15:20 - Oct 17 with 1150 viewswaynekerr55

I was gutted to see Wasabi has closed in the Uplands

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

I walked around town for the first time in years today... on 23:09 - Oct 17 with 1064 viewsGammon

I walked around town for the first time in years today... on 21:18 - Oct 15 by Swanjaxs

So you claim to live in the Gower and you walked around town today for the first time in years?...

I smell bullshìt

Why?

I work in Bristol mostly. Live in the Gower. I do all of my shopping online. I eat out at Mumbles and locally.

Why on earth would I venture into town? I only went there on Tuesday because I was meeting an old friend for coffee. And even she said how depressing the place is.
I walked around town for the first time in years today... on 23:59 - Oct 17 with 1043 viewsjack_lord

I walked around town for the first time in years today... on 23:09 - Oct 17 by Gammon

Why?

I work in Bristol mostly. Live in the Gower. I do all of my shopping online. I eat out at Mumbles and locally.

Why on earth would I venture into town? I only went there on Tuesday because I was meeting an old friend for coffee. And even she said how depressing the place is.

When I lived in Mumbles I stopped going in to town for a few years. It was only because of my "new" job back in 2000 I ended up seeing the city centre again.

Lord_Jack increasingly detached from the riches of kicking a ball
Poll: The E U : Stay or Leave

I walked around town for the first time in years today... on 00:02 - Oct 18 with 1036 viewsjack_lord

I walked around town for the first time in years today... on 14:06 - Oct 17 by Lohengrin

Primark is one of my customers. I have to mention that the cardiff store has about 70 tills across 5 floors. Swansea has about 30 across 3. Bristol's Primark is even bigger.
I have to smile, though, when I see some of some wealthier people I know shopping in Primark when I am working. They do look a little mortified being spotted shopping there.

Lord_Jack increasingly detached from the riches of kicking a ball
Poll: The E U : Stay or Leave

I walked around town for the first time in years today... on 08:23 - Oct 18 with 965 viewsexhmrc1

Your right but they are not in the centre of the city. Most people shopping in the city centre tend to shop in the Quadrant and the nearby area.
I walked around town for the first time in years today... on 10:33 - Oct 18 with 908 viewsJackSomething

I walked around town for the first time in years today... on 08:23 - Oct 18 by exhmrc1

Your right but they are not in the centre of the city. Most people shopping in the city centre tend to shop in the Quadrant and the nearby area.

It's a pretty bad sign for retail that they can't rent those units. They're the equivalent of an out of town retail development having parking right outside, with the added benefits of a cinema and bowling alley on site, while being within easy walking distance of the city centre.

Either the owners (Hammersons?) are asking too much in rent, or it shows how bricks and mortar retail is dying on it's arse. Not a good sign for city centres that have concentrated massively on retail if this trend continues.

Swansea has been the recipient of many bad development decisions over many years (everyone but the council of the time knew that bendy buses were a terrible idea), no doubt. It's a big if, but if the current plans for redevelopment come off, Swansea city centre may be better prepared for the future than many other cities.

You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help.

I walked around town for the first time in years today... on 10:45 - Oct 18 with 899 viewswaynekerr55

I walked around town for the first time in years today... on 21:03 - Oct 15 by sainthelens

You odious prick. Stay down the Gower then.

"The Gower"

😱

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

I walked around town for the first time in years today... on 14:01 - Oct 18 with 856 viewsGammon

I walked around town for the first time in years today... on 10:33 - Oct 18 by JackSomething

It's a pretty bad sign for retail that they can't rent those units. They're the equivalent of an out of town retail development having parking right outside, with the added benefits of a cinema and bowling alley on site, while being within easy walking distance of the city centre.

Either the owners (Hammersons?) are asking too much in rent, or it shows how bricks and mortar retail is dying on it's arse. Not a good sign for city centres that have concentrated massively on retail if this trend continues.

Swansea has been the recipient of many bad development decisions over many years (everyone but the council of the time knew that bendy buses were a terrible idea), no doubt. It's a big if, but if the current plans for redevelopment come off, Swansea city centre may be better prepared for the future than many other cities.

Retail is definitely in terrible shape.

I can order everything I need online, for next day delivery, for much cheaper and I don’t have the stress of having to park or deal with other people.

Plus you get free delivery on most stuff now as well so I save a fortune in petrol money.

And there are no designer shops in town. Nothing special there at all. I love my designer suits for work so I’m not getting them from town. Again I have to go to Cardiff.

Eating out in Swansea is terrible as well unless you venture to SA1, which isn’t the city centre.

Our City Centre is dying a painfully slow death.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024