Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Awkward attempt to talk to girl ends up as sex offender 14:04 - Oct 24 with 4000 viewsGroo

Seems a shy guy simply touched a girls arm and hip and ends up with his life destroyed.

https://www.theburningplatform.com/2019/10/11/shy-and-awkward-student-19-who-goo

The sentence seems way, way over the top. can't believe it was even taken to court.

Groo does what Groo does best

Awkward attempt to talk to girl ends up as sex offender on 14:42 - Oct 24 with 2854 viewsThrasher6

Surely common sense should prevail here...I feel sorry for him tbh...

Poll: Social Distancing: When will it be an obsolete word?

Awkward attempt to talk to girl ends up as sex offender on 15:34 - Oct 24 with 2781 viewsSirjohnalot

Awkward attempt to talk to girl ends up as sex offender on 14:42 - Oct 24 by Thrasher6

Surely common sense should prevail here...I feel sorry for him tbh...

I’d be astonished if this wasn’t appealed.
Awkward attempt to talk to girl ends up as sex offender on 15:40 - Oct 24 with 2767 viewsHighjack

He did maliciously touch her arm so the evil bastard deserves everything he gets as far as I’m concerned.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Awkward attempt to talk to girl ends up as sex offender on 16:44 - Oct 24 with 2694 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Note it was a Magistrates court, I think his solicitor should have elected to go to high court with a Judge & Jury.
If there really is no more to the story than has come out this must be classed as a miscarriage of justice.
The young lady must be of an extremely nervous disposition to have been so badly affected.
Awkward attempt to talk to girl ends up as sex offenders on 17:31 - Oct 24 with 2640 viewsSirjohnalot

Awkward attempt to talk to girl ends up as sex offender on 16:44 - Oct 24 by A_Fans_Dad

Note it was a Magistrates court, I think his solicitor should have elected to go to high court with a Judge & Jury.
If there really is no more to the story than has come out this must be classed as a miscarriage of justice.
The young lady must be of an extremely nervous disposition to have been so badly affected.

Yes. I’d have advised to elect Crown Court.

Problem with that it is that it is financially crippling even if you have legal aid as you have to make a monthly contribution to the costs of the case which could be up to 90% of disposable income. A lot of people can’t afford it.

Disposable income is everything other than mortgage.

Some people plead as it’s a better alternative financially than running a trial.
Awkward attempt to talk to girl ends up as sex offenders on 19:07 - Oct 24 with 2537 viewsmajorraglan

Awkward attempt to talk to girl ends up as sex offenders on 17:31 - Oct 24 by Sirjohnalot

Problem with that it is that it is financially crippling even if you have legal aid as you have to make a monthly contribution to the costs of the case which could be up to 90% of disposable income. A lot of people can’t afford it.

Some people plead as it’s a better alternative financially than running a trial.

I want aare of the riles re Legal Aid, that’s a shocking situation. Work hard, try to get ahead, have a bit of bother which may be nothing of your dong and get smashed, do nowt, live off the role and get it all paid for. Scandalous.
Awkward attempt to talk to girl ends up as sex offenders on 19:11 - Oct 24 with 2530 viewscontroversial_jack

Awkward attempt to talk to girl ends up as sex offenders on 17:31 - Oct 24 by Sirjohnalot

The doors of justice are open to all, so are the Savoy's
Awkward attempt to talk to girl ends up as sex offenders on 19:40 - Oct 24 with 2496 viewsSirjohnalot

Awkward attempt to talk to girl ends up as sex offenders on 19:07 - Oct 24 by majorraglan

I want aare of the riles re Legal Aid, that’s a shocking situation. Work hard, try to get ahead, have a bit of bother which may be nothing of your dong and get smashed, do nowt, live off the role and get it all paid for. Scandalous.

Well no, the contributions are when a person gets legal aid in the Crown Court !

Government thinking is that if you get found not guilty, they’ll very kindly refund you’re contributions. However, I had a 5 day trial today adjourned to November next year, so that’s a year of contributions, which could financially wreck you. Also there’s nothing to say that the trial will go ahead then.

What courts tend to do is list a ‘floating trial’, so your trial is listed eg Dec 1st 2020 but not allocated to a court. Rather it’s listed in the hope that another trial pleads guilty and then yours goes into that court. Often doesn’t happen.

The annoying thing is that there are courts sitting empty as the Government won’t pay for the judges that are needed.

So, I could spend months preparing a rape trial eg, the trial gets taken out and put into another date. It’s very likely that you’ll get choice as to the date and if it’s put on a date that you’re doing something else, you’ll end up not doing the trial and get paid nothing for months of work !

Fat cat lawyers eh ?
Login to get fewer ads

Awkward attempt to talk to girl ends up as sex offender on 19:55 - Oct 24 with 2460 viewslondonlisa2001

Unless there is more to this case than the media are reporting, this is a ridiculous outcome. It does no good for genuine cases of sexual harassment and sexual assault.
Awkward attempt to talk to girl ends up as sex offender on 20:00 - Oct 24 with 2443 viewsexiledclaseboy

Here’s a slightly different take on it. He got 200 hours community service.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/jamie-griff

You can’t just walk up to people in the street and touch them on the hip mun.
[Post edited 24 Oct 2019 20:02]

Poll: Tory leader

Awkward attempt to talk to girl ends up as sex offender on 20:03 - Oct 24 with 2435 viewsSirjohnalot

Awkward attempt to talk to girl ends up as sex offender on 19:55 - Oct 24 by londonlisa2001

Unless there is more to this case than the media are reporting, this is a ridiculous outcome. It does no good for genuine cases of sexual harassment and sexual assault.

Crown has to prove....there was touching, the touching was sexual, victim was not consenting and Def knew or ought to have known she was not consenting.
From what I understand , the victim suggested that even though the touching was on the arm, he was aiming for the breast.

Think I’d be confident in persuading a Judge and two magistrates (no jury on appeal) that there’s a doubt, it’s to do with Defendant’s intention not her perception
Awkward attempt to talk to girl ends up as sex offender on 20:05 - Oct 24 with 2427 viewslondonlisa2001

Awkward attempt to talk to girl ends up as sex offender on 20:00 - Oct 24 by exiledclaseboy

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/jamie-griff

Well if that’s true, and he grabbed her more than once and admitted that he had done so, fair enough. The article I saw doesn’t say anything similar.
Awkward attempt to talk to girl ends up as sex offender on 20:08 - Oct 24 with 2413 viewsexiledclaseboy

Awkward attempt to talk to girl ends up as sex offender on 20:05 - Oct 24 by londonlisa2001

Well if that’s true, and he grabbed her more than once and admitted that he had done so, fair enough. The article I saw doesn’t say anything similar.

The original article was lifted from the Mail and the site it’s reproduced in in the OP is one of those mental ones beloved of Alex Jones types.

Awkward attempt to talk to girl ends up as sex offender on 20:08 - Oct 24 with 2410 viewslondonlisa2001

Awkward attempt to talk to girl ends up as sex offender on 20:03 - Oct 24 by Sirjohnalot

Crown has to prove....there was touching, the touching was sexual, victim was not consenting and Def knew or ought to have known she was not consenting.
From what I understand , the victim suggested that even though the touching was on the arm, he was aiming for the breast.

Think I’d be confident in persuading a Judge and two magistrates (no jury on appeal) that there’s a doubt, it’s to do with Defendant’s intention not her perception

ECB has just highlighted an article which states that there were text messages from him, now deleted but obviously recovered, which throw a different slant on it and suggest he knew he was in the wrong but said he’d stop now. I hadn’t seen that before. If that’s the case, it rather changes my view. But in which case, why the hell aren’t the papers reporting it?
Awkward attempt to talk to girl ends up as sex offender on 20:10 - Oct 24 with 2399 viewslondonlisa2001

Awkward attempt to talk to girl ends up as sex offender on 20:08 - Oct 24 by exiledclaseboy

The original article was lifted from the Mail and the site it’s reproduced in in the OP is one of those mental ones beloved of Alex Jones types.

Ah, I didn’t realise it was the Mail. I only saw it on social media.

Explains the discrepancy then.
Awkward attempt to talk to girl ends up as sex offender on 20:11 - Oct 24 with 2392 viewsexiledclaseboy

Awkward attempt to talk to girl ends up as sex offender on 20:08 - Oct 24 by londonlisa2001

ECB has just highlighted an article which states that there were text messages from him, now deleted but obviously recovered, which throw a different slant on it and suggest he knew he was in the wrong but said he’d stop now. I hadn’t seen that before. If that’s the case, it rather changes my view. But in which case, why the hell aren’t the papers reporting it?

They are but the “up to 10 years in jail” aspect that so outraged Groo was never applicable here.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7606833/Shy-awkward-student-told-pay-25

Awkward attempt to talk to girl ends up as sex offender on 20:17 - Oct 24 with 2374 viewsSirjohnalot

Awkward attempt to talk to girl ends up as sex offender on 20:05 - Oct 24 by londonlisa2001

Problem with papers is that they don’t report the whole thing, it depends on the context of the texts, the whole conversation as opposed to individual, what, if any conversations happened between the parties, etc.

Has to be appealed the negative and devastating consequences of a conviction for this will be life changing. Sexual offenders register eg.
Awkward attempt to talk to girl ends up as sex offender on 20:18 - Oct 24 with 2367 viewsLohengrin

Awkward attempt to talk to girl ends up as sex offender on 20:00 - Oct 24 by exiledclaseboy

Unless you look like me and Errol Flynn of course. In those circumstances the whole notion of an unwanted approach becomes so hypothetical as to be absurd...

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Awkward attempt to talk to girl ends up as sex offender on 20:22 - Oct 24 with 2359 viewsSwanDownUnder

pervert
Awkward attempt to talk to girl ends up as sex offender on 20:23 - Oct 24 with 2355 viewslondonlisa2001

Awkward attempt to talk to girl ends up as sex offender on 20:17 - Oct 24 by Sirjohnalot

Problem with papers is that they don’t report the whole thing, it depends on the context of the texts, the whole conversation as opposed to individual, what, if any conversations happened between the parties, etc.

Has to be appealed the negative and devastating consequences of a conviction for this will be life changing. Sexual offenders register eg.

Indeed, but if he has sent text messages saying he’s grabbed a woman without her consent more than once but has now decided to stop (that’s an ‘if’ as I agree with the issue on partial reporting) then what will be will be.

I was grabbed on a bus once (through the back of the seat, which had a gap at the bottom). I turned round to the bloke and told him very loudly to get his f*cking disgusting paws off me otherwise I’d smack him. There was a group of very vocal black teenage girls a few rows back, who howled at him until he ran off at the next stop and then screamed at him through the windows. I was 40 something though and confident. Some are different and it would quite badly affect them.
Awkward attempt to talk to girl ends up as sex offender on 20:30 - Oct 24 with 2331 viewsLohengrin

Awkward attempt to talk to girl ends up as sex offender on 20:22 - Oct 24 by SwanDownUnder

pervert

How’s the drinking coming along Mohammed?

Awkward attempt to talk to girl ends up as sex offender on 20:41 - Oct 24 with 2299 viewsSirjohnalot

Awkward attempt to talk to girl ends up as sex offender on 20:23 - Oct 24 by londonlisa2001

Indeed, but if he has sent text messages saying he’s grabbed a woman without her consent more than once but has now decided to stop (that’s an ‘if’ as I agree with the issue on partial reporting) then what will be will be.

I was grabbed on a bus once (through the back of the seat, which had a gap at the bottom). I turned round to the bloke and told him very loudly to get his f*cking disgusting paws off me otherwise I’d smack him. There was a group of very vocal black teenage girls a few rows back, who howled at him until he ran off at the next stop and then screamed at him through the windows. I was 40 something though and confident. Some are different and it would quite badly affect them.

They still have to show that the assault was sexual in its nature. Obviously difficult to talk about it without being there. The age of the two, perhaps awkward attempt at flirting ?

I do know the solicitor that ran the trial but haven’t asked her about it.
Awkward attempt to talk to girl ends up as sex offender on 20:50 - Oct 24 with 2288 viewsLohengrin

Awkward attempt to talk to girl ends up as sex offender on 20:41 - Oct 24 by Sirjohnalot

They still have to show that the assault was sexual in its nature. Obviously difficult to talk about it without being there. The age of the two, perhaps awkward attempt at flirting ?

I do know the solicitor that ran the trial but haven’t asked her about it.

Purely judging the book by the cover the kid does look the epitome of a teen who would be flat-footed and awkward around girls, John.

Truth be told I feel sorry for him.

Awkward attempt to talk to girl ends up as sex offender on 21:06 - Oct 24 with 2254 viewsSirjohnalot

Awkward attempt to talk to girl ends up as sex offender on 20:50 - Oct 24 by Lohengrin

Purely judging the book by the cover the kid does look the epitome of a teen who would be flat-footed and awkward around girls, John.

Truth be told I feel sorry for him.

....that’s exactly what would be in my closing speech,...awkward ? Yes....not wanted ? Yes....common assault ? Possibly.....not sexual
Awkward attempt to talk to girl ends up as sex offender on 21:13 - Oct 24 with 2239 viewsLohengrin

Awkward attempt to talk to girl ends up as sex offender on 21:06 - Oct 24 by Sirjohnalot

....that’s exactly what would be in my closing speech,...awkward ? Yes....not wanted ? Yes....common assault ? Possibly.....not sexual

And everybody sat in Court, not just the Jury members, would be able to recall a kid from school just like him.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024