Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Hoyt Axton. C&W haters need not apply. 15:52 - Oct 26 with 2413 viewsPrivate_Partz

Anyone ever heard of him? Not a bit surprised if you haven't.
Hoyt was a vastly underrated Country and Western singer, writer, actor and record label owner. As well as performing his songs were covered by a myriad of artists including Ringo, Joan Baez, Steppenwolf and Linda Ronstadt.
He passed away 20 years ago today. Far too early at 61 years old. I think a misspent early youth of fighting, wine, women and drugs eventually took its toll. Even so he was always regarded as a general good guy.
Anyone who likes C &W music could do far worse than check out his extensive back catalogue.
Here are a couple of links of the great man performing in the late 70s. RIP Hoyt.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=you+tube+hoyt+axton&qpvt=you+tube+hoyt+axto

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=you+tube+hoyt+axton&qpvt=you+tube+hoyt+axto

[Post edited 26 Oct 2019 15:56]

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

Hoyt Axton. C&W haters need not apply. on 16:16 - Oct 26 with 2372 viewsWarwickHunt

Wrote Steppenwolf’s ‘The Pusher’ from Easy Rider. Biggest hit was Joy To The World for Three Dog Night which would have earned him a few bob.

“You're the Hangnail in My Life" - what a great C&W title.

Always liked this one

Hoyt Axton. C&W haters need not apply. on 17:08 - Oct 26 with 2337 viewstheloneranger

My father bought me this LP, approx 50 years ago 👍

Everyday above ground ... Is a good day! 😎

Hoyt Axton. C&W haters need not apply. on 19:36 - Oct 26 with 2279 viewsPrivate_Partz

Cool guys. I am glad some have heard of him.
It feels like I am his only fan at times. Hoyt who.....?
Largely ignored by the C & W community as he was deemed too mainstream. 'The Pusher is right out there as a non C&W song. The talent was in the family with his mother co writing 'Heartbreak Hotel' for Elvis. She died 18 months before her son.
If Dolly Parton and Kenny Rogers can be accepted into the fold then I have no idea why Hoyt wasn't.
Still I think he made a good career of it all with his films and tv appearances. Used to love him turning up on the 'Dukes of Hazzard'.
Shame he died so young.

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

Hoyt Axton. C&W haters need not apply. on 21:47 - Oct 26 with 2231 viewsLohengrin

Hoyt Axton. C&W haters need not apply. on 19:36 - Oct 26 by Private_Partz

Cool guys. I am glad some have heard of him.
It feels like I am his only fan at times. Hoyt who.....?
Largely ignored by the C & W community as he was deemed too mainstream. 'The Pusher is right out there as a non C&W song. The talent was in the family with his mother co writing 'Heartbreak Hotel' for Elvis. She died 18 months before her son.
If Dolly Parton and Kenny Rogers can be accepted into the fold then I have no idea why Hoyt wasn't.
Still I think he made a good career of it all with his films and tv appearances. Used to love him turning up on the 'Dukes of Hazzard'.
Shame he died so young.

We had a thread on Hoyt a few years back, mate. He’s a fixture on a lot of the internet-based roots music shows but I wouldn’t hold your breath if you’re hoping he’ll get any airtime on mainstream commercial channels.

He’s too folksy, way too country for today’s so-called country broadcasting. Personally I think he’s fckin’ great!

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Hoyt Axton. C&W haters need not apply. on 07:05 - Oct 27 with 2137 viewsPrivate_Partz

Hoyt Axton. C&W haters need not apply. on 21:47 - Oct 26 by Lohengrin

We had a thread on Hoyt a few years back, mate. He’s a fixture on a lot of the internet-based roots music shows but I wouldn’t hold your breath if you’re hoping he’ll get any airtime on mainstream commercial channels.

He’s too folksy, way too country for today’s so-called country broadcasting. Personally I think he’s fckin’ great!

Nice one Loh. Can always rely on you to have sh!t politics and great musical taste :-)
I must have missed that thread.
Radio play is very unlikely I agree though I have heard 'Della and the Dealer' played. Also, and quite amazingly, Kev Johns will play 'Evangelina' on Swansea Sound on the odd occasion.
I agree. He is brilliant. I was a late convert and have got a lot of his stuff now. Imho the guy never did a bum record.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024