Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Dehumidifiers 21:33 - Oct 28 with 5938 viewsSgorioFruit

I think I need to buy a dehumidifier for the house.
In the winter months i always wake up in the morning with loads of condensation running down the inside of the windows. And its not as if I have the heating on full blast.

So, anyone use a dehumidifier? Can anyone recommend one?

My methods are not favoured by some but by god i speak the truth.
Poll: What Happened Today???

Dehumidifiers on 21:42 - Oct 28 with 5219 viewsjedijack

They're very useful for drying clothes on a drier and also in the bedroom for the reason you're asking.

Another bonus I wasn't expecting is that I wake up much drier than I used to. I've always been a particularly sweaty individual in bed, used to go through pillows every few months. Not any more, not woken up clammy in as long as I can remember.

Use mine all year round, fab device. If it broke tomorrow I'd be buying another, without doubt.
Dehumidifiers on 21:59 - Oct 28 with 5186 viewsbuilthjack

Open your window a quarter of an inch. Should solve the problem.

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Dehumidifiers on 22:04 - Oct 28 with 5168 viewsRevJames

I installed trickle vents in my window frames as they were old but didn't need new double glazing.

The vents help with reducing the effects of condensation by allowing air to flow in.
Dehumidifiers on 22:16 - Oct 28 with 5146 viewsmajorraglan

My father has one in his house, he thinks it does a really good job. I can’t tell you the brand, but I do subscribe to a well known organisation who test this kind of stuff and these are the best buys.

Meaco DD8l. £182
Meaco DD8l Zambezi £259. These are the top scorers @ 81%

Cheapest is Ecoair DC18 £144 scores 71%.

PM me if you need any more detail.
[Post edited 30 Oct 2019 21:02]
Dehumidifiers on 22:27 - Oct 28 with 5126 viewsjedijack

I've got window vents but my phobia of spiders doesn't let me leave them open :)
Dehumidifiers on 22:36 - Oct 28 with 5110 viewsjack2jack

Have had one for years,they are well worth it if you get problems with damp due to condensation.
The last one we bought was from Band Q.
It's an Amcor been very reliable, had current one for about 10 years,no problems, I believe they still do them,not sure if BandQ still stock them mind.
The water they pull out is unbelievable.
Dehumidifiers on 01:11 - Oct 29 with 5049 viewskrunchykarrot

If you want to get rid of condensation you need one of these.

https://www.nuaire.co.uk/residential/positive-input-ventilation

easy to install and It will save you a fortune instead of a dehumidifier.
Dehumidifiers on 15:10 - Oct 29 with 4851 viewsProfessor

we have a couple of smaller ones from Aldi which do a decent job-certainly a big improvement. Looking to get on of the bigger ones (Meaco) as recommended above.
Login to get fewer ads

Dehumidifiers on 16:43 - Oct 29 with 4791 viewsdickythorpe

They are ok if you remember to switch them on!!!
Dehumidifiers on 17:16 - Oct 29 with 4771 viewsJoe_bradshaw

Dehumidifiers on 16:43 - Oct 29 by dickythorpe

They are ok if you remember to switch them on!!!

Good point Dicky, I find the TV is poor when you forget to switch it on as well. Sometimes it’s no better when you do.

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

Dehumidifiers on 17:24 - Oct 29 with 4760 viewsdickythorpe

Dehumidifiers on 17:16 - Oct 29 by Joe_bradshaw

Good point Dicky, I find the TV is poor when you forget to switch it on as well. Sometimes it’s no better when you do.

Wiseguy!
Dehumidifiers on 19:45 - Oct 29 with 4703 viewsDyfnant

Dehumidifiers on 22:27 - Oct 28 by jedijack

I've got window vents but my phobia of spiders doesn't let me leave them open :)

Bad news for you pal, the spiders are already inside. You’ll mainly spot the males wandering about the house looking for a shag.

Poll: How much will SCFC spend on transfer fees this summer

Dehumidifiers on 21:46 - Oct 29 with 4657 viewsmajorraglan

Lidl have some smaller ones out on sale this Thursday @ £39.99. Can’t comment on quality though.
Dehumidifiers on 14:02 - Oct 30 with 4561 viewsLibertarian

I have a Ecoair DC12 which does the job for me nicely, but it is quite loud so not good for night running.

A nice feature is that you can tell it run run for the next 2 or 4 hours and then stop. (so not running constantly if you pop out)

£127 from appliances direct....
https://www.appliancesdirect.co.uk/search-results/ecoair%20dc12
Dehumidifiers on 18:22 - Oct 30 with 4475 viewssotonswan

I have and can recommend Meaco Portable Compact Dehumidifier DD8L https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B007X236NQ/

I wouldn't want it on in the same room as me at night. It would be too noisy for that. But if you get general humidity down to 40% then you are not likely to add enough yourself overnight to cause condensation.

It uses about 850W when on, so you can calculate the cost. (Once you hit target humidity it only comes on intermittently.)

I also use it on full power to dry clothes from washing machine in the bathroom this time of year. 3-4 hours does the trick for most stuff.

We are the NORTH BANK POPULAR FRONT ! (in no way affiliated to those splitters the North Bank Alliance.) WWG1WGA

Dehumidifiers on 19:47 - Oct 30 with 4436 viewsjedijack

Dehumidifiers on 19:45 - Oct 29 by Dyfnant

Bad news for you pal, the spiders are already inside. You’ll mainly spot the males wandering about the house looking for a shag.

My phobia of spiders refuses to let me believe that ;)
Dehumidifiers on 20:41 - Oct 31 with 4286 viewskrunchykarrot

Dehumidifiers on 18:22 - Oct 30 by sotonswan

I have and can recommend Meaco Portable Compact Dehumidifier DD8L https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B007X236NQ/

I wouldn't want it on in the same room as me at night. It would be too noisy for that. But if you get general humidity down to 40% then you are not likely to add enough yourself overnight to cause condensation.

It uses about 850W when on, so you can calculate the cost. (Once you hit target humidity it only comes on intermittently.)

I also use it on full power to dry clothes from washing machine in the bathroom this time of year. 3-4 hours does the trick for most stuff.

I think these are desiccant driers which dont last long at all, to give you a example of its capabilities imagine a hairdryer warming your home. This might do a room if you close all doors.

If you install the option above it will eliminate all condensation in the house guaranteed.

You will need to drill 4" hole in cieling and plug into 13a socket, costs pennies a year to run or a bit more for heated option.
Dehumidifiers on 22:41 - Nov 1 with 4151 viewsPacemaker

Dehumidifiers on 20:41 - Oct 31 by krunchykarrot

I think these are desiccant driers which dont last long at all, to give you a example of its capabilities imagine a hairdryer warming your home. This might do a room if you close all doors.

If you install the option above it will eliminate all condensation in the house guaranteed.

You will need to drill 4" hole in cieling and plug into 13a socket, costs pennies a year to run or a bit more for heated option.

I assume you are talking* about the Nuaire Post above, I am really interested in getting one of these devices, my daughter has something similar in her bungalow in NZ. It has made a big difference to humidity levels.

Have you had yours long? Did you fit it yourself? I have heard that the unheated version can feel as if there is a draught below it in the winter.

Someone told me it’s all snake oil medicine and a bit of a con, what’s your opinion and experience?

Life is an adventure or nothing at all.

Dehumidifiers on 11:33 - Nov 2 with 4054 viewskrunchykarrot

Dehumidifiers on 22:41 - Nov 1 by Pacemaker

I assume you are talking* about the Nuaire Post above, I am really interested in getting one of these devices, my daughter has something similar in her bungalow in NZ. It has made a big difference to humidity levels.

Have you had yours long? Did you fit it yourself? I have heard that the unheated version can feel as if there is a draught below it in the winter.

Someone told me it’s all snake oil medicine and a bit of a con, what’s your opinion and experience?

Been using these for years, you can see the difference immediately it eradicates ALL condensation. Mine is hanging on a chain in the attic it has variable speed, i have just replaced filter afer 5yrs took 5mins. All you need to do is simply use a hole saw to cut hole 100mm i think fit ceiling grill, cable tie flexi onto each end. Plug in i estimate you could do it yourself in 2-3 hrs. I haven't got the heated version, but i would next time, as you are correct there can be a draught if positioning is limited. I have a big bungalow and it is in the centre of housein a hallway.
Dehumidifiers on 15:07 - Nov 2 with 3983 viewsPacemaker

Dehumidifiers on 11:33 - Nov 2 by krunchykarrot

Been using these for years, you can see the difference immediately it eradicates ALL condensation. Mine is hanging on a chain in the attic it has variable speed, i have just replaced filter afer 5yrs took 5mins. All you need to do is simply use a hole saw to cut hole 100mm i think fit ceiling grill, cable tie flexi onto each end. Plug in i estimate you could do it yourself in 2-3 hrs. I haven't got the heated version, but i would next time, as you are correct there can be a draught if positioning is limited. I have a big bungalow and it is in the centre of housein a hallway.

Thanks for that, I have a split level house with a bungalow type 1st floor and rear bedrooms suffer a little bit with condensation, so I was thinking of getting one of these.

Life is an adventure or nothing at all.

Dehumidifiers on 15:42 - Nov 2 with 3972 viewskrunchykarrot

Yes this is what you want, it will stop all mold on clothes and walls. You wont get any condensation on windows.
Dehumidifiers on 10:26 - Nov 19 with 3707 viewsWxmJax

Took the plunge and bought a drimaster heat unit. Took a couple of hours to fit yesterday. So far I've found that any speed over 2 makes the heater redundant. Got condensation on all upstairs windows. It was about -3°c last night and humidity was 86% when I woke so not great, down to 71% as I speak. Going to put the unit on full blast for a few hours to see if it alters.

Poll: England, General Election: How are you going to vote ?

Dehumidifiers on 11:09 - Nov 19 with 3663 viewsdickythorpe

A Karcher window vacuum has been bought in my fight against condensation. Superb!

https://www.google.co.uk/shopping/product/6521869098557310562?lsf=seller:1309967
Dehumidifiers on 10:59 - Nov 23 with 3551 viewsWxmJax

Update on my drimaster, ALL condensation has gone.
The front door was particularly bad but it seems to be a thing of the past, bedroom windows also clear and much better than the dehumidifier we had. Wife is happy and impressed by what it's done and thinks I'm great.
Can't get the humidity down below 60% and it seems to have settled around this mark. It used to be 80% - 90%. It is colder upstairs but it was probably too warm before.
A mahoosive thank you to krunchykarrot for pointing me in this direction.

Poll: England, General Election: How are you going to vote ?

Dehumidifiers on 11:02 - Nov 23 with 3543 viewscontroversial_jack

Dehumidifiers on 19:45 - Oct 29 by Dyfnant

A bit like Wind street on the weekend
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024