Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Gay Poppies this year then 12:37 - Nov 2 with 11113 viewsDarran

How wánky is this?

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Gay Poppies this year then on 19:18 - Nov 3 with 687 viewslondonlisa2001

Gay Poppies this year then on 18:17 - Nov 3 by jack2jack

If that's meant to be a dig at me, crack on I'm not interested.
You know the main point of the argument, but choose to pick off snippets to suit.
The main argument as you well know is that for most the RED poppy is the correct on to wear, not these self indulgent wanna be's.
Enjoy the rest of your weekend👍

It wasn’t, no.

But I’m heartened by you not caring in the event it was.

And actually the main argument is that there are lots of different colour poppies but no one cared until a rainbow one was pictured.
Gay Poppies this year then on 19:19 - Nov 3 with 686 viewstheloneranger

The RBL has come to a very important decision this year, and that their Red Poppy will mean something different for the first time in 98 years ...

"They now say it “remembers” the sacrifice of the British and Commonwealth armed forces, “pays tribute” to families and the emergency services, and says “we acknowledge innocent civilians who have lost their lives in conflict and acts of terrorism”.

Everyday above ground ... Is a good day! 😎

Gay Poppies this year then on 19:20 - Nov 3 with 684 viewslondonlisa2001

Gay Poppies this year then on 18:41 - Nov 3 by Garyjack

Great post. For me it's about the utter sheer hypocrisy of it all. For as long as anyone can remember LGBT persons have strived for equality and to be treated in the same manner as everyone else, and so they should be.
But the closer they get to achieving that goal, the more they wish to show the world they are different from everyone else.

"Look at me with my gay poppy, i'm gay you see, i'm not like you"!

What part of ‘it isn’t anything to do with the sexuality of the person wearing it’ don’t you understand?
Gay Poppies this year then on 19:25 - Nov 3 with 664 viewsdickythorpe

Gay Poppies this year then on 19:17 - Nov 3 by Flashberryjack

Sorry mate

I've been on the ale today but am now on tea
Gay Poppies this year then on 19:27 - Nov 3 with 654 viewsLohengrin

Gay Poppies this year then on 19:20 - Nov 3 by londonlisa2001

What part of ‘it isn’t anything to do with the sexuality of the person wearing it’ don’t you understand?

I’ve read about them on this thread but I can’t say as I’ve actually seen one. Have you, Lis?

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Gay Poppies this year then on 19:28 - Nov 3 with 652 viewsFlashberryjack

Gay Poppies this year then on 18:10 - Nov 3 by londonlisa2001

Apart from using it to show what football club they support of course. That one’s fine.

It's about remembering people killed in wars, not about what football team you support, or your sexua preferences.

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

Gay Poppies this year then on 19:36 - Nov 3 with 642 viewstheloneranger

Gay Poppies this year then on 13:11 - Nov 3 by londonlisa2001

That one has been around for a while. The one that’s ok I mean.

A cursory look at the British Legion examples demonstrates that anything is ok as long as it raises money. The reason they attach a red poppy to everything is because they trademarked it in 2000.

I can see that you support any colour poppy Lisa, so where do you stand on all these manufacturers and outlets that sell the non red poppy and don't give one penny from these sales to the RBL??

Gay Poppies this year then on 19:46 - Nov 3 with 627 viewslondonlisa2001

Gay Poppies this year then on 19:27 - Nov 3 by Lohengrin

I’ve read about them on this thread but I can’t say as I’ve actually seen one. Have you, Lis?

Nope.
Login to get fewer ads

Gay Poppies this year then on 19:49 - Nov 3 with 619 viewsjack2jack

Gay Poppies this year then on 19:18 - Nov 3 by londonlisa2001

It wasn’t, no.

But I’m heartened by you not caring in the event it was.

And actually the main argument is that there are lots of different colour poppies but no one cared until a rainbow one was pictured.

Let me clarify it for you , so there is no ambiguity. I don't believe the colour should be messed with. Great if they also raise money for the cause, however, was nothing wrong with the traditional one, which everyone one could wear with pride, whatever their colour,creed or sexual orientation.(hope I've got the correct terminology here, sorry if I haven't)
The red poppy is iconic, and it's not just some random colour or flower, it actually means something, why can't people respect that.
Look its my opinion, each to their own, but I don't like the other coloured poppies, it's as simple as that.👍
Gay Poppies this year then on 19:52 - Nov 3 with 611 viewsDarran

Gay Poppies this year then on 19:49 - Nov 3 by jack2jack

Let me clarify it for you , so there is no ambiguity. I don't believe the colour should be messed with. Great if they also raise money for the cause, however, was nothing wrong with the traditional one, which everyone one could wear with pride, whatever their colour,creed or sexual orientation.(hope I've got the correct terminology here, sorry if I haven't)
The red poppy is iconic, and it's not just some random colour or flower, it actually means something, why can't people respect that.
Look its my opinion, each to their own, but I don't like the other coloured poppies, it's as simple as that.👍

Great post and so true.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Gay Poppies this year then on 19:53 - Nov 3 with 610 viewsGaryjack

Gay Poppies this year then on 19:20 - Nov 3 by londonlisa2001

And what part don't you understand? The designer can say what they want, but you must be extremely naive that people will not wear it to show they are gay and different from the rest of us, after lifetimes spent striving for equality. C'mon now eh?
[Post edited 3 Nov 2019 19:53]
Gay Poppies this year then on 19:56 - Nov 3 with 589 viewsGaryjack

Gay Poppies this year then on 19:52 - Nov 3 by Darran

Great post and so true.

Hear hear.
Gay Poppies this year then on 19:59 - Nov 3 with 577 viewsexiledclaseboy

Gay Poppies this year then on 17:36 - Nov 3 by exiledclaseboy

Surely the act of remembrance itself is what’s important and it matters not a jot what colour your poppy is?

So no then. If it’s not red you’re not doing remembrance properly. Wibble. Didn’t all these people you claim to care so much about lay down their lives at least in part to protect the freedom to make such choices?

Poll: Tory leader

Gay Poppies this year then on 20:02 - Nov 3 with 569 viewslondonlisa2001

Gay Poppies this year then on 19:36 - Nov 3 by theloneranger

I can see that you support any colour poppy Lisa, so where do you stand on all these manufacturers and outlets that sell the non red poppy and don't give one penny from these sales to the RBL??

Interesting question.

I think that the destination of money raised needs to be made crystal clear. The purple ones, as an example, go to Animal Aid.

To be completely honest, although I choose to buy a red poppy and support the RBL, I find certain aspects of their organisation disappointing.

Firstly that as at 30 September 2018 (the latest reporting date), they are sitting on £68m.
Secondly that of the £164m raised in the year ended 30 September 2018, they spent £42m of that on admin costs rather than helping people. That’s a big percentage compared to other charities.
Thirdly their biggest ever single donation was from sales of Tony Blair’s memoirs.
Fourthly they have accepted money from the BNP.
Finally I find them trademarking the red poppy to be distasteful if I’m completely honest.

I am supportive of their work, which is why I give every year, but that support isn’t unconditional. I don’t believe them to have a monopoly on remembering those that have served and those that require help.
Gay Poppies this year then on 20:03 - Nov 3 with 563 viewsGaryjack

Gay Poppies this year then on 19:59 - Nov 3 by exiledclaseboy

So no then. If it’s not red you’re not doing remembrance properly. Wibble. Didn’t all these people you claim to care so much about lay down their lives at least in part to protect the freedom to make such choices?

No, in the main they were slaughtered needlessly. But that's another story.
Gay Poppies this year then on 20:05 - Nov 3 with 559 viewsexiledclaseboy

Gay Poppies this year then on 20:03 - Nov 3 by Garyjack

No, in the main they were slaughtered needlessly. But that's another story.

Nicely avoided having to address the point though. Good effort. Lohengrin-esque.

Gay Poppies this year then on 20:06 - Nov 3 with 558 viewslondonlisa2001

Gay Poppies this year then on 19:49 - Nov 3 by jack2jack

Terrific. Don’t wear one then. Same as I don’t.
Gay Poppies this year then on 20:12 - Nov 3 with 540 viewsFlashberryjack

Remembrance and Wibble in the same sentence...fair play.

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

Gay Poppies this year then on 20:12 - Nov 3 with 538 viewstheloneranger

Gay Poppies this year then on 20:02 - Nov 3 by londonlisa2001

Interesting question.

I think that the destination of money raised needs to be made crystal clear. The purple ones, as an example, go to Animal Aid.

To be completely honest, although I choose to buy a red poppy and support the RBL, I find certain aspects of their organisation disappointing.

Firstly that as at 30 September 2018 (the latest reporting date), they are sitting on £68m.
Secondly that of the £164m raised in the year ended 30 September 2018, they spent £42m of that on admin costs rather than helping people. That’s a big percentage compared to other charities.
Thirdly their biggest ever single donation was from sales of Tony Blair’s memoirs.
Fourthly they have accepted money from the BNP.
Finally I find them trademarking the red poppy to be distasteful if I’m completely honest.

I am supportive of their work, which is why I give every year, but that support isn’t unconditional. I don’t believe them to have a monopoly on remembering those that have served and those that require help.

The purple poppy no longer goes to Animal Aid, they now sell the purple paw badge for their charity.

The purple poppy was taken over by Murphy's Army charity in 2016.

Gay Poppies this year then on 20:12 - Nov 3 with 537 viewsdickythorpe

Now then, when is the correct time to start wearing a poppy?
Plus didn't Dar have a poodle called Poppy?
Gay Poppies this year then on 20:12 - Nov 3 with 537 viewsexiledclaseboy

Gay Poppies this year then on 20:12 - Nov 3 by Flashberryjack

Remembrance and Wibble in the same sentence...fair play.

They’re not in the same sentence. I know you’ve had a few but still.

Gay Poppies this year then on 20:12 - Nov 3 with 537 viewsmonmouth

Yes, it's obvious that people care more about the colour of the goddamn cursed piece of plastic than what's actually behind it. Both my grandfathers fought in that war when not much more than children themselves, and would hate thatwe were actually still 'remembering' it at all rather than actually acting to see it never happened again, which clearly nobody gives much of a shit about because it does, again and again and again.

It's reminding me of Salem's lot where the priest keeps the demon away by holding the glowing cross. The demon challenges him to throw itaway. he doesn't. The power goes because of lack of belief. The f^cking symbol has NO importance.

Ok not a great analogy, but this trivial shit year after year really gets my goat, and I keep my goat well tethered.

I shall be contributing by buying the most multicoloured one I can find (don't worry it'll have some red in it), as long as the money goes to the RBL, and I shall respect and support the values of thse that died, plus the rights of everyone to be whatever the hell they like, which my virtual friend ECB rightly points out, is what they fought for.

Now you can all f*ck off :)

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Gay Poppies this year then on 20:13 - Nov 3 with 530 viewsGaryjack

Gay Poppies this year then on 20:05 - Nov 3 by exiledclaseboy

Nicely avoided having to address the point though. Good effort. Lohengrin-esque.

I didn't know you were addressing me as you were replying to yourself.
Gay Poppies this year then on 20:13 - Nov 3 with 527 viewsjack2jack

Gay Poppies this year then on 20:05 - Nov 3 by exiledclaseboy

Let me have a go then, yes they laid down their lives to give people the right to chose, but the battlefields were not cover in white, blue or multicoloured poppies were they. The red poppy is a symbolic reminder.
Hope that helps.
Gay Poppies this year then on 20:17 - Nov 3 with 508 viewslondonlisa2001

Gay Poppies this year then on 20:12 - Nov 3 by theloneranger

The purple poppy no longer goes to Animal Aid, they now sell the purple paw badge for their charity.

The purple poppy was taken over by Murphy's Army charity in 2016.

Now you say, I think I knew that as I bought one (along with the red one) last year. It had a Velcro fastening for the dog and I bought it at my vets.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024