Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The championship 06:29 - Nov 4 with 1941 viewsNotLoyal

It's exciting at times, awful, brilliant, frustrating etc.
But is it a good league now?
Competition is incredible from top to bottom, is this a real quality league or not?

I'm enjoying it more than the Premier league which albeit is quality got boring after 3 seasons (Cardiff fans not eligible for comment)

OK I've changed it.
Poll: The FINALS : Poster of the year 2022

The championship on 06:52 - Nov 4 with 1914 viewsDr_Winston

Don't know whether we were a bit spoiled by some of the stuff we saw in the Prem but it feels like the overall standard is much lower than it was in 2011. Put that team under that manager into the current league and I don't think we'd have lost a game yet.

Consistency seems to be the key. Any team that manages to put a run of 5/6 wins together will be in the mix. Any team that does it a couple of times will probably win the whole thing.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

The championship on 07:52 - Nov 4 with 1835 views34dfgdf54

Standard is shocking but the entertainment is second to none.
The championship on 08:27 - Nov 4 with 1791 viewsSTID2017

It seems to me like a cup competition.
Overall the better sides are up and around the top, however on the day, any team seems capable of winning a particular game. The form book counts for nothing each game.

"Sanity and happiness are an impossible combination" - Mark Twain
Poll: Who Would You Want As Captain For Swans ?

The championship on 09:04 - Nov 4 with 1729 viewsFireboy2

The championship on 07:52 - Nov 4 by 34dfgdf54

Standard is shocking but the entertainment is second to none.

I don't think the standard is shocking risca, i think its average, there are alot of teams who are similar standard and atm there is a lot of chopping and changing positions, normally the top, middle and bottom of the division is making itself clear by november but because there isnt alot between about 15 clubs, and because of this as you say the entertainment is good.

Just as a side note, if west brom win tonight i think its the first time that the top 5 have all won.
The championship on 09:58 - Nov 4 with 1645 viewsdickythorpe

Teams that seem to be in the ascendancy drop points unexpectedly, then they sneak victories when you least expect.
The championship on 10:30 - Nov 4 with 1618 viewsJacket

The championship on 06:52 - Nov 4 by Dr_Winston

Don't know whether we were a bit spoiled by some of the stuff we saw in the Prem but it feels like the overall standard is much lower than it was in 2011. Put that team under that manager into the current league and I don't think we'd have lost a game yet.

Consistency seems to be the key. Any team that manages to put a run of 5/6 wins together will be in the mix. Any team that does it a couple of times will probably win the whole thing.

Difficult to compare with 2011, but I reckon the standard gas taken a nose dive since last season. Not a single team in this division is on form.
The championship on 11:20 - Nov 4 with 1568 viewsOldjack

just keep ticking over until the last two months then go on a winning streak , job done

anyone else is not to fussed about dining at the top table ,?This league is far more fun and enjoyable
[Post edited 4 Nov 2019 12:07]

Prosser the Tosser dwells on Phil's bum hole like a rusty old hemorrhoid ,fact You Greedy Bastards Get Out Of OUR Club!

The championship on 12:02 - Nov 4 with 1528 viewsTimTtam

The championship on 11:20 - Nov 4 by Oldjack

just keep ticking over until the last two months then go on a winning streak , job done

anyone else is not to fussed about dining at the top table ,?This league is far more fun and enjoyable
[Post edited 4 Nov 2019 12:07]

Results-wise the Championship is more enjoyable because we're not battling every week, but playing in the PL should always be the goal. The longer we are in the Championship, the odds of relegation to League 1 will slowly become greater than promotion to the PL.

My name is Matt
Poll: Best option in regards to the EPL & EFL seasons?

Login to get fewer ads

The championship on 12:14 - Nov 4 with 1503 viewsOldjack

The championship on 12:02 - Nov 4 by TimTtam

Results-wise the Championship is more enjoyable because we're not battling every week, but playing in the PL should always be the goal. The longer we are in the Championship, the odds of relegation to League 1 will slowly become greater than promotion to the PL.

The chances of our first visit to the prem [staying their for seven years ]are very remote without huge investment ,.Getting stuffed week in week out is as miserable as it comes for a footy fan in any league ,The prem is a big money league and we don't have any
[Post edited 4 Nov 2019 14:05]

Prosser the Tosser dwells on Phil's bum hole like a rusty old hemorrhoid ,fact You Greedy Bastards Get Out Of OUR Club!

The championship on 12:28 - Nov 4 with 1486 viewsTimTtam

The championship on 12:14 - Nov 4 by Oldjack

The chances of our first visit to the prem [staying their for seven years ]are very remote without huge investment ,.Getting stuffed week in week out is as miserable as it comes for a footy fan in any league ,The prem is a big money league and we don't have any

Maybe I'm being naive, but I think if we get back in the next 2 years (we'll have parachute payments), we'll be able to stay up. Because of our previous 7-year stay, people know who we are, and we'll be a more attractive destination than a PL-newbie like Preston, Brentford, Bristol etc if any of those sides go up. We won't have a lot of money to spend in year 1, but we can make savvy loan signings.

My name is Matt
Poll: Best option in regards to the EPL & EFL seasons?

The championship on 12:38 - Nov 4 with 1476 viewsDr_Winston

Still the myth that we were relegated due to a lack of spending survives.

We spent plenty of money. We spent it badly, on top of some awful decision making when it came to replacing managers and not continuing with a style of play which had comfortably sustained us there.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

The championship on 13:21 - Nov 4 with 1403 viewsOldjack

The championship on 12:38 - Nov 4 by Dr_Winston

We spent plenty of money. We spent it badly, on top of some awful decision making when it came to replacing managers and not continuing with a style of play which had comfortably sustained us there.

We got lucky with basement bargain buys and good people at the helm once that finished and greed took over we were doomed .The chances of getting that lucky again are very very remote ,never mind we had some wonderful times in the sunshine days

The championship on 13:51 - Nov 4 with 1370 viewsJacket

I think the Yanks showed in our last season in the PL that they were prepared to splash the cash, it's just a shame Conky decided to spend it so unwisely. It could be different second time round with a wiser chairman. The drawback with that is that we know what the impact of spending and failing to stay up looks like - sell anything that moves.
[Post edited 4 Nov 2019 13:52]
The championship on 14:22 - Nov 4 with 1335 viewsBobbyBacala

The championship on 06:52 - Nov 4 by Dr_Winston

I think you're right that the standard of the Championship seems lower than last time (though obviously, it's hard to quantify it), but oddly, I think the gap between the the Championship and the bottom half has closed quite a bit.

Obviously it's a small sample size and it's a long season, but Sheff Utd are doing very well and Villa and Norwich aren't being outclassed. Obviously last season Cardiff and Fulham came straight back down, but Cardiff did incredibly well - given the squad, I thought they'd be hammered each week and down by March - and while Fulham went down, they were a shambles on and off the pitch.

Not sure what - if anything - it all means. Probably that we're all looking back at things through rose tinted glasses and thinking everything was better in the past.
The championship on 14:22 - Nov 4 with 1334 viewsDr_Winston

The championship on 13:21 - Nov 4 by Oldjack

We got lucky with basement bargain buys and good people at the helm once that finished and greed took over we were doomed .The chances of getting that lucky again are very very remote ,never mind we had some wonderful times in the sunshine days

We didn't "get lucky" at all. We had a specific plan and recruited both players and managers to suit it. It was only after we abandoned that plan and started doing things the same way as everybody else that the rot set in.

The championship on 15:50 - Nov 4 with 1226 viewsGlyn1

The championship on 09:04 - Nov 4 by Fireboy2

I don't think the standard is shocking risca, i think its average, there are alot of teams who are similar standard and atm there is a lot of chopping and changing positions, normally the top, middle and bottom of the division is making itself clear by november but because there isnt alot between about 15 clubs, and because of this as you say the entertainment is good.

Just as a side note, if west brom win tonight i think its the first time that the top 5 have all won.

But it's just as likely that Stoke will get a home win. We know from bitter experience that they have some quality players.

Poll: Who should be our next manager? Please name them.

The championship on 17:00 - Nov 4 with 1157 viewsSPboy

Didn’t we have the biggest transfer surplus in our last 2 seasons in the EPL ?

Spend plenty we didn’t ... spend badly is an understatement
The championship on 17:09 - Nov 4 with 1147 viewsswancity

That’s your view

I’ll take an alternative view which is that an insufficient sum was set aside as a transfer budget so in other words not enough was reinvested directly into that 1st team squad following the sale of players like Siggurdson £40m ? Williams £12m Bony £25m

And I’d agree that many the players signed were either unsuitable in style or not good enough ( too many to name individually ).

Only an idiot would eat a turkey curry on Christmas day

The championship on 17:43 - Nov 4 with 1111 viewsmonmouth

Sheff U seem to be doing ok so far. 'Splashing the cash' gets you nowhere unless you have megabucks like Man City.....and even then, look at Man U.

Evo and Wham are going backwards after spending shedloads.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

The championship on 18:11 - Nov 4 with 1078 viewsDr_Winston

The championship on 17:43 - Nov 4 by monmouth

Sheff U seem to be doing ok so far. 'Splashing the cash' gets you nowhere unless you have megabucks like Man City.....and even then, look at Man U.

Evo and Wham are going backwards after spending shedloads.

Yup. It's obvious unless you're an idiot, but those are rarely in short supply in these parts.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024