Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Anybody seen 'Spotlight on the troubles' ? 11:01 - Nov 5 with 871 viewsladyjack

Ive been a critic of the Beeb and their right wing stance for quite a few years now but I have to say they did a good job on the 'Spotlight on the troubles' series, I agree with lots of comments I have seen about the show being fair which was refreshing and probably not what I would have expected from Auntie.

I personally did not learn anything new having taken some note of the problems over the years but im sure some people, possibly younger people would have learned something of the troubles, 3 main players in the troubles, the Loyalists, the Republicans and the British State, I don't think the British State came out of it well around the 'dirty war' aspect of the troubles.
I thought the summing up was correct in basically saying, we know why it started [civil rights etc] but don't really know why it ended ?, the Republicans committing to peace without a United Ireland [although the prospect of getting one in the future], the Loyalists accepting to share power when they always had the whip hand via the backing of the might of the British State and the British State itself fighting a 'dirty war' and covering everything up, what really happened in the end is not fully known or why, will we ever know is now the question ?
Anybody seen 'Spotlight on the troubles' ? on 11:03 - Nov 5 with 864 viewsLohengrin

Is there something wrong with you?

That’s a genuine enquiry, Tramp.

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Anybody seen 'Spotlight on the troubles' ? on 11:06 - Nov 5 with 859 viewsladyjack

What's the matter captain ?, didn't you watch the series ?, I would have thought it would have been up your street ?
Anybody seen 'Spotlight on the troubles' ? on 11:07 - Nov 5 with 858 viewsNotLoyal

BBC are left wing in everything but name.

OK I've changed it.
Poll: The FINALS : Poster of the year 2022

Anybody seen 'Spotlight on the troubles' ? on 11:10 - Nov 5 with 852 viewsLohengrin

Anybody seen 'Spotlight on the troubles' ? on 11:06 - Nov 5 by ladyjack

What's the matter captain ?, didn't you watch the series ?, I would have thought it would have been up your street ?

Isn’t this either the second or third thread you’ve started on that programme now?

Anybody seen 'Spotlight on the troubles' ? on 11:28 - Nov 5 with 824 viewsladyjack

Anybody seen 'Spotlight on the troubles' ? on 11:10 - Nov 5 by Lohengrin

Isn’t this either the second or third thread you’ve started on that programme now?

Oh blydi hell, I apologise I have previously started a thread on it, I was just about to reply that I had only commented on the programme before but thought I better check and indeed I did start a thread on it, mods feel free to merge or delete it if that is your want.
Anybody seen 'Spotlight on the troubles' ? on 11:31 - Nov 5 with 817 viewsladyjack

Anybody seen 'Spotlight on the troubles' ? on 11:07 - Nov 5 by NotLoyal

Cardiff Uni did detailed research for the BBC and found them to be right wing biased, if I remember right the beeb said they have made changes on the back of the report.
Anybody seen 'Spotlight on the troubles' ? on 12:32 - Nov 5 with 782 viewscontroversial_jack

The BBC has become so politically correct and agenda driven it's lost credibility
Anybody seen 'Spotlight on the troubles' ? on 12:55 - Nov 5 with 758 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Anybody seen 'Spotlight on the troubles' ? on 11:07 - Nov 5 by NotLoyal

And political bias

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Login to get fewer ads

Anybody seen 'Spotlight on the troubles' ? on 12:58 - Nov 5 with 751 viewscontroversial_jack

Anybody seen 'Spotlight on the troubles' ? on 12:55 - Nov 5 by Brynmill_Jack

And political bias

yes, a mouthpiece for the govt
Anybody seen 'Spotlight on the troubles' ? on 13:30 - Nov 5 with 724 viewsladyjack

Anybody seen 'Spotlight on the troubles' ? on 12:58 - Nov 5 by controversial_jack

yes, a mouthpiece for the govt

Yes indeed.
Anybody seen 'Spotlight on the troubles' ? on 13:50 - Nov 5 with 695 viewsCountyJim

The BBC can't win the right says its left leaning the the left says its right leaning

So they must be doing something right
Anybody seen 'Spotlight on the troubles' ? on 14:34 - Nov 5 with 669 viewsladyjack

Anybody seen 'Spotlight on the troubles' ? on 13:50 - Nov 5 by CountyJim

The BBC can't win the right says its left leaning the the left says its right leaning

So they must be doing something right

Its a dark ops situation to try and keep the Beeb as a right wing Government sympathetic mouth peace, I know the likes of the newspaper barons, company bosses and right wing politicians would accuse them of being on the left just to keep them on the right.

When the beeb commissioned the experts to look into if they were biased or not the result was obvious they looked at air time given to one side and the other side, they looked at positive and negative slants given to one side and the other side, they looked at how Auntie treated one side when they were in Government and then how the other side were treated when they were in Government.
It was concluded that they were right wing, pro bosses, pro leave EU, pro Israeli over Arabs, anti Scottish independence etc etc
The Beeb accepted the results and say they are/have done something about it.

There is no disputing that if you for example give twice as much coverage to one side of the argument than to the other then there is a biasness, there is no dispute if both sides are given 50% each air time but presenters, interviewers, journalists, commentators etc use all positive words in their reporting of one side and then for the other side use all negative words then yet again there is a biasness also if one side has more spokesmen giving their views than the other side then yet again there is a biasness.
These were the type of things the Beeb were found to be doing in favour of right wing arguments.

Although I could see through it it must be quite clever how its done because most people apparently don't know they are been taken in and as a consequence their views are being moulded.
Anybody seen 'Spotlight on the troubles' ? on 19:02 - Nov 5 with 588 viewsSPboy

I stopped reading at the point the OP states “Beeb and their right wing stance”

PMSL, no credibility, clown
Anybody seen 'Spotlight on the troubles' ? on 19:13 - Nov 5 with 575 viewsladyjack

Anybody seen 'Spotlight on the troubles' ? on 19:02 - Nov 5 by SPboy

I stopped reading at the point the OP states “Beeb and their right wing stance”

PMSL, no credibility, clown

http://theconversation.com/hard-evidence-how-biased-is-the-bbc-17028

Check the last paragraph if you don't want to wade through the article.
Anybody seen 'Spotlight on the troubles' ? on 19:13 - Nov 5 with 574 viewsmajorraglan

My personal view is that by-enlarge the BBC do a tidy job and that they are fairly balanced. If you get your views from the Mail, Express, Telegraph then your bound to consider them left wing, if you take your position from the Morning Star then you are going to see them as right wing.
Anybody seen 'Spotlight on the troubles' ? on 20:15 - Nov 5 with 527 viewsNortbankboy

Anybody seen 'Spotlight on the troubles' ? on 19:13 - Nov 5 by majorraglan

My personal view is that by-enlarge the BBC do a tidy job and that they are fairly balanced. If you get your views from the Mail, Express, Telegraph then your bound to consider them left wing, if you take your position from the Morning Star then you are going to see them as right wing.

interesting.
Anybody seen 'Spotlight on the troubles' ? on 20:20 - Nov 5 with 515 viewsladyjack

How many people read the Morning Star and how many read the Mail, Express and Telegraph ?
Anybody seen 'Spotlight on the troubles' ? on 20:21 - Nov 5 with 514 viewsexiledclaseboy

Anybody seen 'Spotlight on the troubles' ? on 20:20 - Nov 5 by ladyjack

How many people read the Morning Star and how many read the Mail, Express and Telegraph ?

Is the Morning Star still a thing?

Poll: Tory leader

Anybody seen 'Spotlight on the troubles' ? on 20:27 - Nov 5 with 500 viewsladyjack

Anybody seen 'Spotlight on the troubles' ? on 20:21 - Nov 5 by exiledclaseboy

Exactly, the last time I bought it was when Thatcher died to see what they had to say about her and even then they were asking for donations to keep going.

Just checked and judging by its website I think its still going [still asking for donations], the lead article on the webpage is all about that Swansea Tory woman standing in Gower [I guess the print edition would be the same].
Anybody seen 'Spotlight on the troubles' ? on 20:28 - Nov 5 with 496 viewsLohengrin

Anybody seen 'Spotlight on the troubles' ? on 20:21 - Nov 5 by exiledclaseboy

It is, though the Lord alone knows how they manage to keep it going, Clase? I pick up a copy quite often on the way in to work, mainly as I enjoy the obituaries. “That’s another bugger gone,” I smile to myself over a cuppa’ at break time.

Talking of papers had you heard Steve Bannon may be lining up a bid to buy The Telegraph?
[Post edited 5 Nov 2019 20:29]

Anybody seen 'Spotlight on the troubles' ? on 21:06 - Nov 5 with 469 viewsexiledclaseboy

Anybody seen 'Spotlight on the troubles' ? on 20:28 - Nov 5 by Lohengrin

It is, though the Lord alone knows how they manage to keep it going, Clase? I pick up a copy quite often on the way in to work, mainly as I enjoy the obituaries. “That’s another bugger gone,” I smile to myself over a cuppa’ at break time.

Talking of papers had you heard Steve Bannon may be lining up a bid to buy The Telegraph?
[Post edited 5 Nov 2019 20:29]

I heard the title was up for sale but I didn’t know about Bannon. To be honest the way that paper is now, Bannon’s influence won’t change the editorial stance all that much.

Poll: Tory leader

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024