Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
employment law - annual leave owed 19:12 - Nov 6 with 4403 viewsjack_lord

Anyone have a definitive answer?

I am owed 6 days and I am in my notice period. I need to take the time because I am moving house. My company say that I can't and that they will pay me in lieu of what I am owed.

I don't want the money, I worked for the annual leave and would have booked it off if I was staying.

All getting very stressful here.

Lord_Jack increasingly detached from the riches of kicking a ball
Poll: The E U : Stay or Leave

employment law - annual leave owed on 11:11 - Nov 7 with 981 viewsNotLoyal

Yup, your stress levels must be massive, go sick.

OK I've changed it.
Poll: The FINALS : Poster of the year 2022

employment law - annual leave owed on 00:13 - Nov 8 with 934 viewsjack_lord

employment law - annual leave owed on 11:08 - Nov 7 by angryjack

If it was me and it was stressing me out that much I would just take the time off anyway and wouldn't care about losing 6 days pay..phone in sick and if they hold it they hold it for the sake of 6 days pay

I really don't care whether I get paid six days. If I don't turn up then, bizarrely, I won;t get paid for those days but they owe me 6 days annual leave. If I phone in sick, I am entitled to a week full sick pay and also the six days annual leave they owe me.

I want to leave on a high, but the manager is (possibly pressure from even higher) is saying that he has to have the numbers on the ground and that will be the stand off. I can not work on those days as I am moving house. We have transport organised and everyone has taken time off as once the date was finalised it just happened to coincide with my notice. I am not going it to work. If they want to tarnish my 15 year unblemished record then so be it.

employment law - annual leave owed on 07:03 - Nov 8 with 889 viewsBrynmill_Jack

employment law - annual leave owed on 21:12 - Nov 6 by Fireboy2

Not being awkward lisa but if hes got an impending house move and his boss wont let him have the time off then i cant see any other way, but as you say he should try and come to a compromise with his boss as that would be the best way forward.

From what I’ve read of JL’s employers from previous posts I’m not surprised they’re making things awkward for him. If he has a new job how on earth is taking some sick leave going to compromise his future employment prospects ?

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

employment law - annual leave owed on 19:57 - Nov 8 with 828 viewsjack_lord

employment law - annual leave owed on 07:03 - Nov 8 by Brynmill_Jack

From what I’ve read of JL’s employers from previous posts I’m not surprised they’re making things awkward for him. If he has a new job how on earth is taking some sick leave going to compromise his future employment prospects ?

They know how to play us. They make us thankful for the shockingly low pay where you lose your self worth. The manager is just going blank and saying I have to work - yep. it's not coming out of his pocket, why would he care. HR seem to be ignoring my emails.

I am moving - how the f do I empty a huge garage of its contents when the recycling plant closes at 5 and I am rota'd to work the next seven days and my moving day. It is seriously freaking me out.

employment law - annual leave owed on 20:33 - Nov 8 with 818 viewsmonmouth

employment law - annual leave owed on 19:57 - Nov 8 by jack_lord

They know how to play us. They make us thankful for the shockingly low pay where you lose your self worth. The manager is just going blank and saying I have to work - yep. it's not coming out of his pocket, why would he care. HR seem to be ignoring my emails.

I am moving - how the f do I empty a huge garage of its contents when the recycling plant closes at 5 and I am rota'd to work the next seven days and my moving day. It is seriously freaking me out.

You really have nothing to lose do you? If they dock your pay for unpaid leave, then they have to pay the outstanding holiday pay to cover it anyway. Which is exactly the same as you taking the last week as holiday. I would be explaining to them that this going to happen and that they are making you ill with their behaviour.

If you can offer any sweeteners like one day in work to help hand over then it might be politic. If necessary though go to the docs and tell him or her that youre feeling extremely stressed by all this (no lie there, by the sound of it) and fear you are going to breakdown. Tell him or her that you don't want stress on a sicknote but really need to be taken out of the situation and see what they suggest. My sis found them very sympathetic and helpful with their medical notes when it was clear she was genuinely at the end of her teather, as she didn't want to have to declare 'stress' at any future medicals.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

employment law - annual leave owed on 20:59 - Nov 8 with 806 viewsjack_lord

employment law - annual leave owed on 20:33 - Nov 8 by monmouth

You really have nothing to lose do you? If they dock your pay for unpaid leave, then they have to pay the outstanding holiday pay to cover it anyway. Which is exactly the same as you taking the last week as holiday. I would be explaining to them that this going to happen and that they are making you ill with their behaviour.

If you can offer any sweeteners like one day in work to help hand over then it might be politic. If necessary though go to the docs and tell him or her that youre feeling extremely stressed by all this (no lie there, by the sound of it) and fear you are going to breakdown. Tell him or her that you don't want stress on a sicknote but really need to be taken out of the situation and see what they suggest. My sis found them very sympathetic and helpful with their medical notes when it was clear she was genuinely at the end of her teather, as she didn't want to have to declare 'stress' at any future medicals.

Thank you for that.

That is one thing I am worried about is the medical notes for any future potential employment. I have taken the plunge, which I should have done a good while ago as has been discussed on here. Whilst I am in early 50's and I don't expect to take any job that will look in to any stress issue on my medical records, you just never know and I am aware.

The way I am feeling I just want to walk away and say F it.

The new company have not yet had my reference from my employer. Do I have to be that careful?

employment law - annual leave owed on 21:19 - Nov 8 with 794 viewsmonmouth

employment law - annual leave owed on 20:59 - Nov 8 by jack_lord

Thank you for that.

That is one thing I am worried about is the medical notes for any future potential employment. I have taken the plunge, which I should have done a good while ago as has been discussed on here. Whilst I am in early 50's and I don't expect to take any job that will look in to any stress issue on my medical records, you just never know and I am aware.

The way I am feeling I just want to walk away and say F it.

The new company have not yet had my reference from my employer. Do I have to be that careful?

Others will know better than me but I believe they have to be factual and would have to justify and prove anything negative they say as you could sue for consequential loss. If you have 15 years unblemished it would be tough for them to say anything negative I would suggest. It would be a hell of a length to try and go to, that I find almost unimaginable. It's a pig of a situation for sure.

employment law - annual leave owed on 21:29 - Nov 8 with 781 views3swan

employment law - annual leave owed on 21:19 - Nov 8 by monmouth

Others will know better than me but I believe they have to be factual and would have to justify and prove anything negative they say as you could sue for consequential loss. If you have 15 years unblemished it would be tough for them to say anything negative I would suggest. It would be a hell of a length to try and go to, that I find almost unimaginable. It's a pig of a situation for sure.

They do have to be factual and not vindictive in any way. Sometimes though it's not what they say but what could be a very bland reference. It also depends who is doing the reference HR or manager. I still believe A quick call to Acas would help. They don't need to know the company details etc but will give up to date factual position
Login to get fewer ads

employment law - annual leave owed on 21:35 - Nov 8 with 773 viewsmonmouth

employment law - annual leave owed on 21:29 - Nov 8 by 3swan

They do have to be factual and not vindictive in any way. Sometimes though it's not what they say but what could be a very bland reference. It also depends who is doing the reference HR or manager. I still believe A quick call to Acas would help. They don't need to know the company details etc but will give up to date factual position

A bland reference is fine if he already has another job though? I would be making sure that my new employer knew that my old employer is very unhappy at me leaving as they are struggling to replace me.

Sorry JL for talking as if you are not here. It's easy for me to pontificate. A lot harder when you are in it.

employment law - annual leave owed on 21:40 - Nov 8 with 763 views3swan

employment law - annual leave owed on 21:35 - Nov 8 by monmouth

A bland reference is fine if he already has another job though? I would be making sure that my new employer knew that my old employer is very unhappy at me leaving as they are struggling to replace me.

Sorry JL for talking as if you are not here. It's easy for me to pontificate. A lot harder when you are in it.

A bland references fine. Don't know about now but my last employer only had HR on behalf of the company giving references. I can't see a poor reference being given as it could leave the company wide open
employment law - annual leave owed on 21:56 - Nov 8 with 755 viewsFireboy2

Most bosses are too scared to give a bad reference as anything considered not 100% accurate could be grounds for legal action.

You go for it JL, you come across as decent bloke and dont deserve this sh!t.
employment law - annual leave owed on 23:37 - Nov 8 with 727 viewsmajorraglan

I worked in recruiting for 14 months a couple of years ago. It was a real hotch potch.
Employers were generally very careful about what they said, some organisations would only commit pen to paper to confirm the fact a person was an employee and how long they had worked there, some went a bit further and gave details of sickness, some commented on performance, on or two actually refused to provide a references at all.

I know one private local company (very good employer) who will only employ people who have been recommended by existing employees.
employment law - annual leave owed on 03:40 - Nov 9 with 701 viewscontroversial_jack

employment law - annual leave owed on 23:37 - Nov 8 by majorraglan

I worked in recruiting for 14 months a couple of years ago. It was a real hotch potch.
Employers were generally very careful about what they said, some organisations would only commit pen to paper to confirm the fact a person was an employee and how long they had worked there, some went a bit further and gave details of sickness, some commented on performance, on or two actually refused to provide a references at all.

I know one private local company (very good employer) who will only employ people who have been recommended by existing employees.

Many big companies do not give references at all
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024