Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Swansea History Question 10:25 - Nov 11 with 3057 viewssquarebear

Once upon a time I read that one of the beaches in Swansea was formed by waste product from local clay mining.

Does that sound familiar to anyone? I've googled but haven't been able to verify it.

(I'm involved in a light-hearted bit of "who's home town is best" banter with mates from Leeds and Swindon, but I've not been here that long, so my historical knowledge is pretty sparse).
[Post edited 11 Nov 2019 11:11]
Swansea History Question on 10:49 - Nov 11 with 3017 viewstheloneranger

Swansea bay used to be mud flats.

A bit of trivia ... Over 300,000 tons of sand were removed from Swansea to make Blackpool beach look good!! (1950's ??)

Everyday above ground ... Is a good day! 😎

Swansea History Question on 10:51 - Nov 11 with 3011 views3swan

Not sure about the beach but there was Swansea Pottery

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cambrian_Pottery
Swansea History Question on 12:00 - Nov 11 with 2911 viewsSwanjaxs

Best hometown between Swansea, Leeds and Swindon...

That must be a close call 🤔

Hasn't Swindon got the most roundabouts or something?

You might think I've forgotten, but one day, when you least expect it, my time will come.
Poll: Celtic and Rangers should be fast tracked into the Championship ASAP

Swansea History Question on 07:08 - Nov 12 with 2686 viewsN_T_J

Swansea History Question on 12:00 - Nov 11 by Swanjaxs

Best hometown between Swansea, Leeds and Swindon...

That must be a close call 🤔

Hasn't Swindon got the most roundabouts or something?

Ain't that Milton Keynes? They even put fake cows on them to make them look different, I remember the Swans playing at their old stadium and there was a few fake cows in on corner of their stadium.
[Post edited 12 Nov 2019 7:09]
Swansea History Question on 10:09 - Nov 12 with 2595 viewsoldcob

Swansea History Question on 07:08 - Nov 12 by N_T_J

Ain't that Milton Keynes? They even put fake cows on them to make them look different, I remember the Swans playing at their old stadium and there was a few fake cows in on corner of their stadium.
[Post edited 12 Nov 2019 7:09]

Swindon has about thirteen roundabouts in a cluster. I negotiated them once. Luckily for me it was before seven in the morning and here was no other traffic on the road. I swear I saw the back of my neck at least twice.
Swansea History Question on 10:14 - Nov 12 with 2588 views3swan

Swansea History Question on 10:09 - Nov 12 by oldcob

Swindon has about thirteen roundabouts in a cluster. I negotiated them once. Luckily for me it was before seven in the morning and here was no other traffic on the road. I swear I saw the back of my neck at least twice.

Yes close to the football ground, very strange to see traffic coming at what seems the wrong way, but then correcting around another island.
As already posted Milton Keynes has many many roundabouts but Swindon is in a confined area. (nicknamed magic roundabout I think)
Swansea History Question on 10:44 - Nov 12 with 2563 viewstaffpop

I don’t think pwll ddu beach is a natural feature. That whole stone beach was apparently brought over bit by bit from Devon as ballast in the ships exporting the mountains of our local limestone. Sailed over full of rocks. Dumped them on the beach then filled up on limestone and offski.
Swansea History Question on 10:58 - Nov 12 with 2551 viewsJoe_bradshaw

Swansea History Question on 10:09 - Nov 12 by oldcob

Is that crazy system still there? I believe locals call it the magic roundabout. You need magic mushrooms to negotiate it safety.

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

Login to get fewer ads

Swansea History Question on 20:52 - Nov 12 with 2366 viewsjack2jack

I think the clay deposits you mention, were possibly deposits brought down, when the ice flow came down the valley.Check out this link:
https://www.geolsoc.org.uk/GowerTour1
Here's an extract:-
The retreat of the ice resulted in the deposition of many different kinds of glacial sediment in the region. The actual bedrock of Swansea Bay, for example, is some 600 feet below the present seabed. In the area of the town, however, the most common deposit is boulder clay (also called glacial till), which is a mixture of clay and massive boulders dumped by the melting glaciers. Singleton Park, lying behind the University campus and which deserves a visit, displays well the hummocky topography typical of this kind of glacial deposit.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024