Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Do we need a new captain? 20:43 - Nov 29 with 1474 viewsdickythorpe

Doesn't seem to be any leadership from our current one!
Do we need a new captain? on 20:45 - Nov 29 with 1464 viewscentrestandswan

Have we got one ?

Poll: Will we be relegated ?

Do we need a new captain? on 20:46 - Nov 29 with 1463 viewsYossarian

Have to agree with this. He’s been marginally better than Peterson first helf- both do a good impersonation of a couple of 60 year olds playing walking football

"Yossarian- the very sight of the name made him shudder.There were so many esses in it. It just had to be subversive" (Catch 22)

Do we need a new captain? on 21:15 - Nov 29 with 1416 viewsMrSwerve

There is only one stand out leader in our squad and that is Andre Ayew.

Poll: Decision day - who wins the PL title?

Do we need a new captain? on 01:00 - Nov 30 with 1289 viewsbuilthjack

Long John Silver is no Captain.

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Do we need a new captain? on 01:15 - Nov 30 with 1275 viewslonglostjack

Definitely. There is no way he’s a captain. Feel sorry for him. Good player who’s being ruined by the role.

Poll: Alcohol in the lockdown

Do we need a new captain? on 08:44 - Nov 30 with 1213 viewsnantywatcher

Do we need a new captain? on 01:15 - Nov 30 by longlostjack

Definitely. There is no way he’s a captain. Feel sorry for him. Good player who’s being ruined by the role.

Excellent leader who leads by example, covered every blade of grass last night, never stoped running and looking for the ball. Very happy with him in this role.
Do we need a new captain? on 09:13 - Nov 30 with 1187 viewsBadlands

To the OP

YES

Making Grimes captain was a daft decision. He'd one stand out season but had and does not show any leadership qualities. I can't image what Cooper saw in him to take the decision.

All season 've been saying he's played poorly and possibly because he has the responsibility of captain on his shoulders. He is not a natural leader and I not growing into being one.
Don't take the arm band out of spite or frustration but for th good of the player and the team.
Again, last night it was Horn and Ayew noticeably calling the shots with Naughton supporting.

Poll: Should the summer transfer window close before the season starts?

Do we need a new captain? on 09:15 - Nov 30 with 1182 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Do we need a new captain? on 09:13 - Nov 30 by Badlands

To the OP

YES

Making Grimes captain was a daft decision. He'd one stand out season but had and does not show any leadership qualities. I can't image what Cooper saw in him to take the decision.

All season 've been saying he's played poorly and possibly because he has the responsibility of captain on his shoulders. He is not a natural leader and I not growing into being one.
Don't take the arm band out of spite or frustration but for th good of the player and the team.
Again, last night it was Horn and Ayew noticeably calling the shots with Naughton supporting.

Perhaps he’s a mr nice guy that Cooper can easily get on with.

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Login to get fewer ads

Do we need a new captain? on 14:20 - Nov 30 with 1115 viewsdameedna

No that would be a mistake. Played well last season and showing good stats this season. Leads by example in a decent group that is having a results downturn. Manager has put Ayew up but there is a good chance Andre will leave in January.
Do we need a new captain? on 14:30 - Nov 30 with 1102 viewssherpajacob

Mikey vdh, is it so obvious that Cooper cant see it.

Otherwise I reckon Freddie the woodman would do a good job, even though he's only on loan.

Poll: Your favourite ever Swans shirt sponsor?

Do we need a new captain? on 14:33 - Nov 30 with 1098 viewsjack247

Do we need a new captain? on 09:13 - Nov 30 by Badlands

To the OP

YES

I can’t see any other reasons than with VdH expected to leave and Ayew not expected to come back, he was the only more or less guaranteed starter, other than Rodon who is obviously younger and less experienced.

With hindsight, it hasn’t been a good decision at all.

Assuming they played every week, both of the above plus Naughton and possibly even Roberts would be a better fit IMO.

Didn’t think he had a bad game last night mind, speaking on the balance of the season so far.
Do we need a new captain? on 14:35 - Nov 30 with 1089 viewsjojaca

Do we need a new captain? on 14:33 - Nov 30 by jack247

I can’t see any other reasons than with VdH expected to leave and Ayew not expected to come back, he was the only more or less guaranteed starter, other than Rodon who is obviously younger and less experienced.

Assuming they played every week, both of the above plus Naughton and possibly even Roberts would be a better fit IMO.

Didn’t think he had a bad game last night mind, speaking on the balance of the season so far.

If Ayew stays for the rest of season, surely he would be best candidate. He's one of the few that will thrive from captaincy.

Even when you know, you never know?

Do we need a new captain? on 14:36 - Nov 30 with 1088 viewsJoe_bradshaw

Captaincy is hugely overrated in the modern game. Would we have more points with a different captain? I very much doubt it. It's a distraction from the real issue which is our midfield weakness.

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

Do we need a new captain? on 14:38 - Nov 30 with 1083 viewsTimTtam

The problem Cooper had when choosing his captain was that there weren't many options. Mike is leaving at the end of the season, so that would be a temporary appointment. Ayew wasn't at the club at the time. Routs will be playing his final season, meaning a temporary appointment. Cooper was impressed with Grimes @ Exeter in the preseason, and probably thought picking him would be a good long-term choice.

The same dilemma is still here. Changing the captaincy will mean if we don't get promoted, we'll have to sort out a new captain again. As much as I think Grimes is struggling with the captaincy, I think we need to persist in the hope that he can become better and be a long-term player and captain.

My name is Matt
Poll: Best option in regards to the EPL & EFL seasons?

Do we need a new captain? on 14:44 - Nov 30 with 1075 viewsBadlands

Do we need a new captain? on 14:38 - Nov 30 by TimTtam

The problem Cooper had when choosing his captain was that there weren't many options. Mike is leaving at the end of the season, so that would be a temporary appointment. Ayew wasn't at the club at the time. Routs will be playing his final season, meaning a temporary appointment. Cooper was impressed with Grimes @ Exeter in the preseason, and probably thought picking him would be a good long-term choice.

The same dilemma is still here. Changing the captaincy will mean if we don't get promoted, we'll have to sort out a new captain again. As much as I think Grimes is struggling with the captaincy, I think we need to persist in the hope that he can become better and be a long-term player and captain.

But, if he acted as a manager should and accept he made a mistake and captaincy is sopping Grimes playing well he has to change it.
It can't matter if a player might not be here next season - a captain could pick up a long term injury, Grimes might leave.
No one should be looking to who will be captain next season. That isn't forward planning that's neglecting the now.
Hoping Grimes who, let's be clear here, had one good season as an utility player, when there are two strong alternatives is IMHO barking mad.

Do we need a new captain? on 14:56 - Nov 30 with 1056 viewsTimTtam

Do we need a new captain? on 14:44 - Nov 30 by Badlands

But, if he acted as a manager should and accept he made a mistake and captaincy is sopping Grimes playing well he has to change it.
It can't matter if a player might not be here next season - a captain could pick up a long term injury, Grimes might leave.
No one should be looking to who will be captain next season. That isn't forward planning that's neglecting the now.
Hoping Grimes who, let's be clear here, had one good season as an utility player, when there are two strong alternatives is IMHO barking mad.

Some decent points. Maybe Ayew as captain and Grimes as VC would be the way to go. I still believe having one eye on the long-term aspect of the captaincy is the way to go. And lets face it, Grimes is going nowhere after the season he's had.

My name is Matt

Do we need a new captain? on 20:27 - Nov 30 with 982 viewsCatullus

Do we need a new captain? on 14:56 - Nov 30 by TimTtam

Some decent points. Maybe Ayew as captain and Grimes as VC would be the way to go. I still believe having one eye on the long-term aspect of the captaincy is the way to go. And lets face it, Grimes is going nowhere after the season he's had.

Thinking long term, do we want a player to be captain if it's spoiling his game and affecting the team in a negative way?
Captains are expected to step up when others aren't performing, to be strong and lead by example. If Grimes is struggling under the weight of that then a change is better for the team AND better for Grimes.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Do we need a new captain? on 02:59 - Dec 1 with 931 viewsTimTtam

Do we need a new captain? on 20:27 - Nov 30 by Catullus

Thinking long term, do we want a player to be captain if it's spoiling his game and affecting the team in a negative way?
Captains are expected to step up when others aren't performing, to be strong and lead by example. If Grimes is struggling under the weight of that then a change is better for the team AND better for Grimes.

That's where the rest of the season (if he stays in the job for that long) will be a litmus test. If he can't cut it then he can't. But he should have a bit more time. In January if things haven't improved in terms of the leadership and/or Grimes' game, the change can be made.

I'm being hopeful that he can cut it in the long-term. Maybe he can't.

My name is Matt

Do we need a new captain? on 10:37 - Dec 1 with 854 viewsJinxy

Do we need a new captain? on 14:33 - Nov 30 by jack247

We were chatting about this at the game too. If Roberts was more consistent and had pushed on, he'd be a candidate - a vocal local who could lead by example. He hasn't (as yet) so until he's first name on the teamsheet, which is probably a prerequisite for captaincy, he's out of the running. Shame.

Ideally, we would buy a gritty midfielder, leader and captain all rolled into one from transfer (inevitable?) sales, but I doubt that'll happen too.
Do we need a new captain? on 12:25 - Dec 1 with 796 viewsBadlands

Do we need a new captain? on 10:37 - Dec 1 by Jinxy

We were chatting about this at the game too. If Roberts was more consistent and had pushed on, he'd be a candidate - a vocal local who could lead by example. He hasn't (as yet) so until he's first name on the teamsheet, which is probably a prerequisite for captaincy, he's out of the running. Shame.

Ideally, we would buy a gritty midfielder, leader and captain all rolled into one from transfer (inevitable?) sales, but I doubt that'll happen too.

Robert just gets ratty ... awful trait for a captain.
Reading back it seems some are happy with Grimes because he might be captain material next season ... trust me, he won't.

Do we need a new captain? on 12:32 - Dec 1 with 786 viewsMrSwerve

Do we need a new captain? on 12:25 - Dec 1 by Badlands

Robert just gets ratty ... awful trait for a captain.
Reading back it seems some are happy with Grimes because he might be captain material next season ... trust me, he won't.

Indeed, the only thing Roberts comes out with on the pitch is “fûck off ref” most of the time.

Poll: Decision day - who wins the PL title?

Do we need a new captain? on 12:25 - Dec 2 with 659 viewsJinxy

Do we need a new captain? on 12:32 - Dec 1 by MrSwerve

Indeed, the only thing Roberts comes out with on the pitch is “fûck off ref” most of the time.

He's young though, and still has much to learn in all aspects. Never say never I say, hopefully he will develop. I think Roy Keane had similar traits?!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024