Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Immigration, the non-issue of this election. I wonder why? 16:46 - Dec 10 with 1938 viewsBytholWyn

Strange isn’t it, that given that immigration was THE central issue during the Brexit referendum that is hasn’t featured at all in this campaign. All the more remarkable given the dramatic changes that have occurred in net migration since June 2016. At that point in time EU net immigration was 189,000, just below non-EU net immigration, at 196,000. https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/populationandmigration/inter

In just 3 years the situation has completely transformed. EU net immigration has reduced dramatically to 48,000 — i.e. a quarter of the level at the time of the referendum. Net immigration from non-EU countries in the meantime has continued to climb — now standing at 229,000, or nearly 5 times the rate of EU net immigration. https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/populationandmigration/inter

You would really think that this dramatic change of circumstances would figure in some way in this election campaign, wouldn’t you? For instance, has anybody bothered to ask the question of the Tories “If you’re so concerned about net immigration then why, in the nearly 10 years you’ve been in power, haven’t you implemented a points based immigration system for non-EU citizens?”. You’d almost be forgiven for thinking that the Tories are obsessed with EU immigration specifically. I wonder why?
Immigration, the non-issue of this election. I wonder why? on 19:54 - Dec 10 with 1864 viewsCatullus

Right, because the Tories haven't mentioned immigration you want to think they are obsessed with it? Illogical.

Non EU migration being 5 times EU migration is irrelevant and over all immigration is down the total pre brexit being 385,000 but now it is 277,000. A drop of 108,000

Maybe that's why they are not mentioning it, it is over 100,000 lower so why risk bringing it up and being called racists or xenophobic?

The big failing was pre Tory, it was when Blair could have implemented controls on EU immigration but refused having lied to us about the expected numbers.

Regardless, a sensible, points based system is what we need. We'll never stop immigration and nor should we try, to do so would be madness.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Immigration, the non-issue of this election. I wonder why? on 20:05 - Dec 10 with 1844 viewsKilkennyjack

Immigration, the non-issue of this election. I wonder why? on 19:54 - Dec 10 by Catullus

Right, because the Tories haven't mentioned immigration you want to think they are obsessed with it? Illogical.

Non EU migration being 5 times EU migration is irrelevant and over all immigration is down the total pre brexit being 385,000 but now it is 277,000. A drop of 108,000

Maybe that's why they are not mentioning it, it is over 100,000 lower so why risk bringing it up and being called racists or xenophobic?

The big failing was pre Tory, it was when Blair could have implemented controls on EU immigration but refused having lied to us about the expected numbers.

Regardless, a sensible, points based system is what we need. We'll never stop immigration and nor should we try, to do so would be madness.

I am very happy that people like Angel Rangel and Roberto Martinez chose to come to live and work in Wales.

Likewise the 21 per cent of the people living in Wales who were born in England. Croeso.

Not you Johnson, you can feck right off .... !

Beware of the Risen People

Immigration, the non-issue of this election. I wonder why? on 22:09 - Dec 10 with 1789 viewsBytholWyn

Immigration, the non-issue of this election. I wonder why? on 19:54 - Dec 10 by Catullus

The Tories have only been "obsessed" with immigration when it suits them regarding the EU. Now that EU net immigration is less than half the arbitrary target of 99,999 that they set themselves you think they might revise their rhetoric and focus on the much bigger problem (if you view it as a problem, I don't, but most Tories do) of non-EU net immigration. Nearly 10 years in government and they've done bugger all to introduce a points based system or any system to reduce this growing "problem". Which just illustrates again the whole fraudulent basis for Brexit.

But hats off to the Tories, it's pretty impressive (from a Machiavellian perspective) how they've owned half the population.
Immigration, the non-issue of this election. I wonder why? on 11:42 - Dec 11 with 1728 viewsCatullus

Immigration, the non-issue of this election. I wonder why? on 22:09 - Dec 10 by BytholWyn

The Tories have only been "obsessed" with immigration when it suits them regarding the EU. Now that EU net immigration is less than half the arbitrary target of 99,999 that they set themselves you think they might revise their rhetoric and focus on the much bigger problem (if you view it as a problem, I don't, but most Tories do) of non-EU net immigration. Nearly 10 years in government and they've done bugger all to introduce a points based system or any system to reduce this growing "problem". Which just illustrates again the whole fraudulent basis for Brexit.

But hats off to the Tories, it's pretty impressive (from a Machiavellian perspective) how they've owned half the population.

Obsession - an idea or thought that continually preoccupies or intrudes on a person's mind. It's not something that only happens when it suits you.

Now then, after accusing them of obsession because they haven't mentioned it you go on to advise them to revise their rhetoric and focus on the much bigger problem, which rhetoric is that then, the stuff they haven't been saying because they are obsessed with it? They should focus on a different problem than the one they haven't been focussing on?

What is impressively Machiavellian is how you have used twisted logic to attack the Tories, to accuse them of being obsessed with something they aren't talking about.

What's up next, how Plaid aren't obsessed with Welsh Indy?

PS, immigration wasn't the whole reason for brexit, no matter how many times it's repeated it won't be true.

Face it even though Johnson is a total azz wipe he still manages to be more popular than Corbyn, that is impressive, not on Bojo's part though. It's impressive how Corbyn manages to be so bad that Johnson looks like winning.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024