Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Proportional Representation 18:13 - Dec 13 with 2591 viewslonglostjack

Desperately needed. Not sour grapes, It really doesn’t matter what Party you support. A mate of mine has always voted Tory (twaat) but couldn’t be arsed yesterday because there was no point. Lives in Greenwich. How can you have an electoral system where so many people’s votes are basically worthless? Not fit for purpose.

Poll: Alcohol in the lockdown

Proportional Representation on 20:20 - Dec 13 with 1827 viewsFlashberryjack

When would you like it changed, in the next election which could be as long as 5 years away or earlier ?

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

Proportional Representation on 20:26 - Dec 13 with 1821 viewsjack2jack

It doesn't suit the main parties so never going to happen.
Proportional Representation on 20:32 - Dec 13 with 1801 viewsCatullus

Didn't Sophie Raworth have a UK map up earlier showing how the election would have gone under PR? Didn't it show the Tories having more seats? Or did I imagine that?

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Proportional Representation on 21:35 - Dec 13 with 1738 viewslonglostjack

Proportional Representation on 20:32 - Dec 13 by Catullus

Didn't Sophie Raworth have a UK map up earlier showing how the election would have gone under PR? Didn't it show the Tories having more seats? Or did I imagine that?

If that’s the case then so be it. System as it stands stinks.

Proportional Representation on 21:43 - Dec 13 with 1724 viewsKilkennyjack

Yes, the current system is shite.
Tory vote was only up 1%.

The Senedd has a much better and modern way, for example.

Beware of the Risen People

Proportional Representation on 21:45 - Dec 13 with 1724 viewsLeonWasGod

The day that a government introduces a fairer system will be the true test of whether any of these feckers ever do want to serve the people. Until then, they’re simply playing a power game.

And no, I wouldn’t care which Govt brought it in or when.
Proportional Representation on 21:51 - Dec 13 with 1706 viewsJimmyGilligan

There is an article in WoL about it, it would have been a hung parliament. I linked it in the GE thread.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/politics/proportional-representation-general-

No overall majority for any party

The Conservatives win 75 seats fewer

The Greens go from one seat to 17

The amount of SNP seats halves

A government could only be formed if parties worked together

The Brexit Party win 13 seats
Proportional Representation on 21:55 - Dec 13 with 1704 viewslonglostjack

Proportional Representation on 20:20 - Dec 13 by Flashberryjack

When would you like it changed, in the next election which could be as long as 5 years away or earlier ?

Up to Boris now. Why change it? Remember Blair big majority, why change it? BUT the fecking system needs changing!

Login to get fewer ads

Proportional Representation on 22:10 - Dec 13 with 1679 viewsHighjack

Literally the only thing fptp has going for it is it gives some constituencies the chance to ditch terrible MPs. Seeing weasels like Swinson, Soubry, Umuna, Grieve all fall on their own sword was utterly delicious. Under PR they’d have a job for life. Even Boris’s seat was apparently under threat in the time leading up to the vote.

But yes something has to change.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Proportional Representation on 22:21 - Dec 13 with 1665 viewswestside

EU Parliament has PR and people voted Brexit to leave that.

Britain didn't need to leave the EU to have PR.

London Assembly, Welsh Assembly and Scottish Parliament all have PR.
Proportional Representation on 22:28 - Dec 13 with 1655 viewsCatullus

Proportional Representation on 22:21 - Dec 13 by westside

I'm not against PR but when you mention the devolved governments, them I am against. As far as I can see all they have done is cost a lot of money and caused a lot of trouble. We have far too many elected representatives who cost an enormous amount and do very little worthwhile. The EU, Westminster, devolution.

We could manage just as well with far fewer politicians.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Proportional Representation on 08:46 - Dec 14 with 1585 viewsladyjack

The devolved Governments are vital, they have been a success with the electorate overwhelmingly voting for them to have more powers.
Proportional Representation on 09:15 - Dec 14 with 1550 viewsPegojack

How did that work, then? I know it depends on the exact PR system being introduced, but it isn't based on geographical constituencies, is it? I thought it was a list based system, and each party gets the number of MPs based on their overall proportion of the national vote.

If you look at the overall vote shares, providing Labour, Lib Dem, Greens and SNP could come to a governing coalition agreement, they would have outgunned the Tories and other right wing parties. I haven't worked out the numbers, but they have a slim majority. 10 MPs maybe?

Anyway, its never going to happen. Too many vested interests.
[Post edited 14 Dec 2019 9:21]
Proportional Representation on 09:19 - Dec 14 with 1546 viewsJoe_bradshaw

Proportional Representation on 22:21 - Dec 13 by westside

Two thirds of the Welsh Assembly AMs are elected by FPTP.

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

Proportional Representation on 09:37 - Dec 14 with 1505 viewsLohengrin

Proportional Representation on 08:46 - Dec 14 by ladyjack

The devolved Governments are vital, they have been a success with the electorate overwhelmingly voting for them to have more powers.

Stormont hasn’t sat for three years.

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Proportional Representation on 09:46 - Dec 14 with 1492 viewsladyjack

The Lib-Dems f*cked up PR by not putting PR but the nonsense that was AV up for a vote against FPTP, I slaughtered AV on various sites before the vote it was such a nonsense that FPTP was a better system than AV.
[Post edited 14 Dec 2019 9:54]
Proportional Representation on 10:01 - Dec 14 with 1469 viewsBest_loser

There are about 49 million people registered to vote in the UK I think

Tories got 13 million on Thursday

Labour got 11 million

Got mixed feelings on PR myself

Not going to happen anyway
Proportional Representation on 10:06 - Dec 14 with 1460 viewsjohnlangy

How could the Tories have ended up with a majority of seats in a PR situation if they only got 43.6% of the votes ?
Proportional Representation on 11:00 - Dec 14 with 1423 viewsJoe_bradshaw

Those maps are misleading. The Tories’ constituencies are generally much bigger than Labour ones. Even when Labour have won elections you wouldn’t think so by looking at a political map.

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

Proportional Representation on 11:10 - Dec 14 with 1415 viewsLohengrin

Proportional Representation on 11:00 - Dec 14 by Joe_bradshaw

Those maps are misleading. The Tories’ constituencies are generally much bigger than Labour ones. Even when Labour have won elections you wouldn’t think so by looking at a political map.

Corbyn’s constituency is all of three square miles, or to put it another way 1900 acres, about the size of a Powys hill farm.

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Proportional Representation on 12:23 - Dec 14 with 1359 viewsHighjack

Proportional Representation on 11:10 - Dec 14 by Lohengrin

Corbyn’s constituency is all of three square miles, or to put it another way 1900 acres, about the size of a Powys hill farm.

It has a much higher population than a Powys hill farm though, and more ex IRA bombers living in big town houses arranged by the local MP.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Proportional Representation on 12:27 - Dec 14 with 1348 viewsfelixstowe_jack

We had a referendum recently on proportional representation it was rejected 66% to 33% .

It does not work just leads to hung parliaments and we have seen what happens with a hung parliament nothing gets resolved.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

Proportional Representation on 12:58 - Dec 14 with 1325 viewsFlashberryjack

Proportional Representation on 21:55 - Dec 13 by longlostjack

Up to Boris now. Why change it? Remember Blair big majority, why change it? BUT the fecking system needs changing!

If you say so.

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

Proportional Representation on 13:31 - Dec 14 with 1298 viewsexiledclaseboy

Proportional Representation on 12:27 - Dec 14 by felixstowe_jack

We had a referendum recently on proportional representation it was rejected 66% to 33% .

It does not work just leads to hung parliaments and we have seen what happens with a hung parliament nothing gets resolved.

“We had a referendum recently on proportional representation it was rejected 66% to 33% “.

No we didn’t

Poll: Tory leader

Proportional Representation on 13:42 - Dec 14 with 1285 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Proportional Representation on 13:31 - Dec 14 by exiledclaseboy

“We had a referendum recently on proportional representation it was rejected 66% to 33% “.

No we didn’t

Oh yes we did.

2011 was part of the conservatives and liberal deal when they were partners in government after the 2010 general election.

How often do you want to rerun a referendum? Every year, everytime labour fail to win, everytime someone wins you did not vote for?

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024