Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Rats 23:55 - Dec 27 with 5490 viewsSgorioFruit

There seems to be just one rat residing in my shed. I’m aware that they don’t usually come alone but I’m pretty sure there is just one in there.
Anyone dealt with rats before?
My garden is spotlessly clean, and all my house refuse is locked and sealed away in dustbins.
I think my shed has appealed to this rat because of a big bag of grass seed in there and a rolled up spare bit of carpet.
Tomorrow, I’m gutting the shed out, taking a lot of crap to the tip. Then when I can see the bare four walls I’m then going to seal up the shed so the fecker can’t get in.
I’ve got poison and traps to lay afterwards just incase. And an air rifle.

What’s been your experiences with rats?
[Post edited 27 Dec 2019 23:55]

My methods are not favoured by some but by god i speak the truth.
Poll: What Happened Today???

Rats on 19:46 - Dec 28 with 1541 viewsJack123

Rats on 15:48 - Dec 28 by controversial_jack

I have found mice quite easy to trap.Don't use the conventional wooden snap traps as they aren't so sensitive, use the plastic ones. and use chocolate.I have caught dozens over the years, but I believe rats are a different matter altogether

Thanks, just out of curiosity, did you change the bait if it isn't taken? is it ok to leave say chocolate on a trap, until it's caught?
[Post edited 28 Dec 2019 19:47]

libera nos a malo

Rats on 20:28 - Dec 28 with 1489 viewsCooperman

Rats on 06:07 - Dec 28 by patchboy

caught mouse before with a chocolate mint in the trap.

This generally only works after eight.

Poll: Your confectionery tub of choice

Rats on 20:30 - Dec 28 with 1487 viewsdickythorpe

FFS expanding foam!!!
Rats on 20:48 - Dec 28 with 1469 viewsJack123

Rats on 20:28 - Dec 28 by Cooperman

This generally only works after eight.

Cause they are nocturnal

libera nos a malo

Rats on 21:42 - Dec 28 with 1417 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Rats on 20:30 - Dec 28 by dickythorpe

FFS expanding foam!!!

They can chew their way through concrete

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Rats on 21:44 - Dec 28 with 1415 viewscontroversial_jack

Rats on 19:46 - Dec 28 by Jack123

Thanks, just out of curiosity, did you change the bait if it isn't taken? is it ok to leave say chocolate on a trap, until it's caught?
[Post edited 28 Dec 2019 19:47]

I left the bait for a while. I even used cheese too. Hungry mice will try anything. The white plastic traps from B & Q were good, but a bit flimsy and don't last for ever
Rats on 21:53 - Dec 28 with 1402 viewsJack123

Rats on 21:44 - Dec 28 by controversial_jack

I left the bait for a while. I even used cheese too. Hungry mice will try anything. The white plastic traps from B & Q were good, but a bit flimsy and don't last for ever

Thanks, I used 6 of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/Victor-Easy-Set-Mouse-Trap/dp/B00004RAN4/ref=sr_1_14?cr

also 2 of the plastic trap kill bar kinda thing..Reason I asked that, because I have read you have to refresh the bait after a few days, so i was thinking did I make a mistake.

libera nos a malo

Rats on 22:29 - Dec 28 with 1373 viewscontroversial_jack

Rats on 21:53 - Dec 28 by Jack123

Thanks, I used 6 of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/Victor-Easy-Set-Mouse-Trap/dp/B00004RAN4/ref=sr_1_14?cr

also 2 of the plastic trap kill bar kinda thing..Reason I asked that, because I have read you have to refresh the bait after a few days, so i was thinking did I make a mistake.

Those are crap, not very sensitive get more robust plastic or metal ones
Login to get fewer ads

Rats on 23:27 - Dec 28 with 1342 viewsTNT

Uni days, eight of us shared a house. One lad was from West Cross, really intelligent guy... but gullible? We clearly had a mouse in the house. It tunnelled through his loaf of bread... left claw marks in his block of lard, but he was convinced the boys dunnit. Another lad from Yorkshire always returned to digs with a big box of biscuits. We heard rustling in the kitchen one night, went to investigate, and the mouse popped its head out of the top of the biscuit box. It stopped and stared at us... we stood and stared back - it was a moment that would not have been out of place on 'The Young Ones'! It jumped out of the box and headed for a hole in the wall. I grabbed a saucepan, swiped, and caught it! It ran around the inside of the pan. I hadn't really planned my next course of action, so went to the window and threw it out. I was three storeys up. It was the end of 'Theo'... we called it that, after our Landlord.

Poll: Would you make goalposts bigger?

Rats on 01:31 - Dec 29 with 1277 viewsJack123

Rats on 22:29 - Dec 28 by controversial_jack

Those are crap, not very sensitive get more robust plastic or metal ones

Funnily enough, it was the wooden one that caught the blighter!

libera nos a malo

Rats on 08:39 - Dec 29 with 1200 viewsdickythorpe

Rats on 21:42 - Dec 28 by Brynmill_Jack

They can chew their way through concrete

Of course they can with the shoddy mixing that goes on these days.
The expanding foam is the way forward believe me.
Rats on 11:28 - Dec 29 with 1135 viewscontroversial_jack

Glad to hear, but there's usually more than one.
Rats on 14:44 - Dec 29 with 1052 viewsSgorioFruit

Some interesting replies.
OK so Rat update from the SgorioFruit household, i think he has buggered off.

To paint the picture, i have a tiny garden, and a small shed. I always thought i was dealing with just one shed inhabitant. I am well aware that these little feckers come in small armies, but I have only ever confronted one rat in the shed, I just had the feeling he was there on his own. I hope to god that I am correct with that assumption.
So I found the entrance he used, I sealed that off, I did indeed use expanding foam for all other possible access points, im aware that rats can eat through this stuff, but I just sealed up the holes with expanding foam with the vision of using it as an indicator for any future unwelcomed guests. I will now know if he comes in the shed or not.
So I laid down poison, which he has taken away. And I haven't seen the bugger since.
I totally gutted out the shed of all its contents so I could just see 4 bare walls, and then after sealing everything up I returned all the contents carefully.
There very well may have been more than one, but there's no damn rats in my shed or garden now.
I think my wood pile for my fire may have attracted him in the first place. Also I haven't actually entered the shed for about two months. Thus giving him ample time to become acquainted with his surroundings. Now I have had a good declutter and clear out the little swine has disappeared.
For Now.
[Post edited 29 Dec 2019 14:45]

My methods are not favoured by some but by god i speak the truth.
Poll: What Happened Today???

Rats on 14:57 - Dec 29 with 1046 viewsAnotherJohn

Sounds like the problem is solved, but I thought I'd add my tuppence worth. I have some experience in another country. Didn't had much success with conventional traps, but glue mats worked well. I am not sure if they are legal in the UK, but if positioned near points where rats or mice enter a room or shed they will work.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024