Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Official Swansea City FC v Charlton Athletic FC Match Thread 22:09 - Dec 29 with 34202 viewsjackharris

[Post edited 2 Jan 2020 18:47]

Very proud to be voted Planet Swans Poster of the Year 2017 by my fellow posters. Especially on a site that nearly had 20 million impressions last year.
Poll: What is your favourite Knock?

The Official Swansea City FC v Charlton Athletic FC Match Thread on 14:41 - Jan 3 with 1166 viewsBadlands

The Official Swansea City FC v Charlton Athletic FC Match Thread on 13:41 - Jan 3 by ploppy

I don't think people are giving enough credit to our first half performance last night. I thought we were excellent and should have been 3 up at half time. Some of the best football we've played for a long time. We were very fluid, and excellent on the transition. Contrary to some opinions I think a slick pitch helps us enormously - always has done.

Unfortunately, the second half was pretty poor. Whether this was due to Charlton's change of formation is hard to tell, but it wouldn't be the first time we've played a team off the park in the first half only for them to change something at half time and us not being able to respond. This is not a new phenomenon, and certainly not unique to Cooper. If Baston had scored instead of blasting over, and Byers' shot not hit the post, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

After that second half I think the conversation would be much the same.
But, the fact is we didn't see off the challenge in the first half when we dominated somewhat and were panic defending for much of the second i.e. back to the norm.

Poll: Should the summer transfer window close before the season starts?

The Official Swansea City FC v Charlton Athletic FC Match Thread on 14:49 - Jan 3 with 1147 viewsdobjack2

The Official Swansea City FC v Charlton Athletic FC Match Thread on 13:41 - Jan 3 by ploppy

I don't think people are giving enough credit to our first half performance last night. I thought we were excellent and should have been 3 up at half time. Some of the best football we've played for a long time. We were very fluid, and excellent on the transition. Contrary to some opinions I think a slick pitch helps us enormously - always has done.

Unfortunately, the second half was pretty poor. Whether this was due to Charlton's change of formation is hard to tell, but it wouldn't be the first time we've played a team off the park in the first half only for them to change something at half time and us not being able to respond. This is not a new phenomenon, and certainly not unique to Cooper. If Baston had scored instead of blasting over, and Byers' shot not hit the post, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Agree goals change games and last night should have been buried before half time.

However we didn’t appear to be able to respond to their second half change in tactics. Simply dropping deep, inviting them on with no out ball just created bigger problems. Celina being anonymous when he came on didn’t help the cause.

Hope The coaching and playing staff analyse the game and consider what they might do differently if faced with a similar situation.
The Official Swansea City FC v Charlton Athletic FC Match Thread on 15:05 - Jan 3 with 1105 viewsmonmouth

Sometimes when you piss on a team, you think the second half will be the same and your concentration goes as you forget to keep playing. It’s very hard to get back ‘up’ from that then. We should know, remember the play off final. We couldn't ‘cope’ with Readings ‘change in tactics’ then, neither. In fact, it was as much about the attitude, and I suspect it was the same last night. By the time you twig things have changed, you are fighting for your life.

Anyway, despite my serious doubts about Cooper, I’d rather believe the first half holds future promise than the second half holds future disaster. It is a new year after all.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

The Official Swansea City FC v Charlton Athletic FC Match Thread on 16:00 - Jan 3 with 1021 viewsploppy

The Official Swansea City FC v Charlton Athletic FC Match Thread on 15:05 - Jan 3 by monmouth

Sometimes when you piss on a team, you think the second half will be the same and your concentration goes as you forget to keep playing. It’s very hard to get back ‘up’ from that then. We should know, remember the play off final. We couldn't ‘cope’ with Readings ‘change in tactics’ then, neither. In fact, it was as much about the attitude, and I suspect it was the same last night. By the time you twig things have changed, you are fighting for your life.

Anyway, despite my serious doubts about Cooper, I’d rather believe the first half holds future promise than the second half holds future disaster. It is a new year after all.

You're right, of course. Even in "that WBA game", we didn't play as well second half (did we even score second half?). What amazes me is that a manager can make one change - taking Taylor off, and presumably changing from a diamond formation? - and the game completely changes. Surely, it's for our manager to notice that and try and nullify it. Their change happened at half time so should have been obvious from then.
The Official Swansea City FC v Charlton Athletic FC Match Thread on 21:53 - Jan 3 with 824 viewsTNT

Yep.

Poll: Would you make goalposts bigger?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024