Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
That M4 again! 19:56 - Dec 30 with 5853 viewsjack2jack

At least two or three more incidents near the llandarcy interchange today.
It's getting worse. What's to be done?
That M4 again! on 19:53 - Dec 31 with 1434 viewsDr_Winston

Speed limits shouldn't be uniform. At busy times of the day a 50mph restriction on the M4 in certain places might make sense. When the roads are dead it doesn't.

We need to move away from blanket restrictions and be more sensible about it. The 20mph limit outside schools within Swansea is another perfect example. What purpose does that serve at 10 o'clock at night or in the middle of August?

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

That M4 again! on 21:49 - Dec 31 with 1364 viewsmajorraglan

That M4 again! on 19:53 - Dec 31 by Dr_Winston

Speed limits shouldn't be uniform. At busy times of the day a 50mph restriction on the M4 in certain places might make sense. When the roads are dead it doesn't.

We need to move away from blanket restrictions and be more sensible about it. The 20mph limit outside schools within Swansea is another perfect example. What purpose does that serve at 10 o'clock at night or in the middle of August?

You should put yourself forward for a post with some clout in WAG, you’d get plenty of votes with common sense policies like that. I also can’t understand why on earth the speed limit from Briton Ferry bridge through to Port Talbot is 50mph at 2am, it’s mental the amount of traffic on the road is negligible. Another thing that peeves me is the 40/50 mph limit they have on parts of the Port Talbot relief road, what incentive is there for people to use the road when it’s slower that the M4. By all means lower the speed limit in built up areas, but not on the outskirts.

The M4 is no longer fit for purpose, all that’s happening is they are tinkering with things because they don’t have the money to address the issues. We need a much better infrastructure.
That M4 again! on 21:58 - Dec 31 with 1352 viewsDr_Winston

That M4 again! on 21:49 - Dec 31 by majorraglan

You should put yourself forward for a post with some clout in WAG, you’d get plenty of votes with common sense policies like that. I also can’t understand why on earth the speed limit from Briton Ferry bridge through to Port Talbot is 50mph at 2am, it’s mental the amount of traffic on the road is negligible. Another thing that peeves me is the 40/50 mph limit they have on parts of the Port Talbot relief road, what incentive is there for people to use the road when it’s slower that the M4. By all means lower the speed limit in built up areas, but not on the outskirts.

The M4 is no longer fit for purpose, all that’s happening is they are tinkering with things because they don’t have the money to address the issues. We need a much better infrastructure.

The A4067 between Landore and Ynysforgan is another one. Dual Carriageway all the way yet a 50mph limit all day. Then it drops to single lane up the valley but the speed limit increases?

It's just stupid.

This post has been edited by an administrator

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

That M4 again! on 10:11 - Jan 1 with 1245 viewsCatullus

How about this Doc, variable speed limits and fit transponders/telematics onto all new cars that automatically set off an in car warning of the speed limit and if you exceed the limit by 5mph or more automatically informs the police/DVLA.
While I'm there, all new cars have dash cams fitted (tamper proof) that the police and insurance companies can access.

It'll never happen, well not in my lifetime but have we reached an age where such draconian measures need to be considered?

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

That M4 again! on 10:32 - Jan 1 with 1226 viewsDr_Winston

That M4 again! on 10:11 - Jan 1 by Catullus

How about this Doc, variable speed limits and fit transponders/telematics onto all new cars that automatically set off an in car warning of the speed limit and if you exceed the limit by 5mph or more automatically informs the police/DVLA.
While I'm there, all new cars have dash cams fitted (tamper proof) that the police and insurance companies can access.

It'll never happen, well not in my lifetime but have we reached an age where such draconian measures need to be considered?

The EU are well ahead of you. Automatic speed limiters become law in 2022.

https://www.driving.co.uk/news/automatic-speed-limiters-new-cars-approved-europe

Which will of course either cause a slump in new car sales or a surge in devices or services that neutralise the things, unless testing them becomes part of the MOT.

Crazy thing is British roads are already pretty safe as a rule compared to other countries. If anything the speed limits on motorways should be being revised up, not down. Most of the figures given in the highway code for stuff like stopping distance is woefully out of date and inaccurate.

That M4 again! on 10:56 - Jan 1 with 1201 viewsdickythorpe

It's crying out for public transport to be really seriously funded, developed and upgraded

It is 2020 and the trains and buses are worse than 20 years ago
That M4 again! on 11:02 - Jan 1 with 1197 viewsCatullus

I think the UK road safety record is going to get worse. As the number of vehicles increases, driving gets worse and roads aren't upgraded. It's a rubbish situation, this country doesn't plan ahead taking into account rising numbers. They draw up plans for the way things are predicted to be in 10 years and usually, by the time those plans are carried out they are already out of date.

Improving the railways and getting freight off the motorways would be a good step. Getting more police on the streets would also help. People do stupid schit largely because they believe they'll get away with it. When you do that stupid schit in a car doing 70 though, one day you won't just not get away with it, you'll probably kill someone.

Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?

That M4 again! on 11:38 - Jan 1 with 1171 viewscontroversial_jack

That M4 again! on 10:56 - Jan 1 by dickythorpe

It's crying out for public transport to be really seriously funded, developed and upgraded

It is 2020 and the trains and buses are worse than 20 years ago

The great British public just voted against that
Login to get fewer ads

That M4 again! on 12:21 - Jan 1 with 1141 viewsJackfath

That M4 again! on 21:58 - Dec 31 by Dr_Winston

The A4067 between Landore and Ynysforgan is another one. Dual Carriageway all the way yet a 50mph limit all day. Then it drops to single lane up the valley but the speed limit increases?

It's just stupid.

This post has been edited by an administrator

Not stupid. It's to do with built up areas. There would have to be huge, unsightly fencing all along the edges if the speed limit was to be increased.

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.
Poll: Should Darran's ban be lifted?

That M4 again! on 17:38 - Jan 1 with 1062 viewsCatullus

That M4 again! on 11:38 - Jan 1 by controversial_jack

The great British public just voted against that

No we didn't. The Tories promised to invest in public services and infrastructure. Of course it remains to be seen how much of the manifesto is complete and utter BS.

We'd be in the same situation with Labour, it's always wait and see. At every election I have lived through political parties have told us what we want to hear with little intention of sticking 100% to their promises.

That M4 again! on 19:23 - Jan 1 with 1026 viewscontroversial_jack

That M4 again! on 17:38 - Jan 1 by Catullus

No we didn't. The Tories promised to invest in public services and infrastructure. Of course it remains to be seen how much of the manifesto is complete and utter BS.

We'd be in the same situation with Labour, it's always wait and see. At every election I have lived through political parties have told us what we want to hear with little intention of sticking 100% to their promises.

Labour were quite clear in their manifesto about nationalising the railways etc
That M4 again! on 19:30 - Jan 1 with 1013 viewsCatullus

That M4 again! on 19:23 - Jan 1 by controversial_jack

Labour were quite clear in their manifesto about nationalising the railways etc

Renationalising the railways doesn't guarantee investment and upgrading though. Would there be any money left for that after buying them back? Or maybe Labour would simply have borrowed another few billion?

Isn't there enough debt in the world though?

https://www.ft.com/content/938642f6-21bd-11ea-b8a1-584213ee7b2b

I know we're not an emerging market but 55 trillion, eck!!

That M4 again! on 15:41 - Jan 2 with 922 viewscontroversial_jack

That M4 again! on 19:30 - Jan 1 by Catullus

Renationalising the railways doesn't guarantee investment and upgrading though. Would there be any money left for that after buying them back? Or maybe Labour would simply have borrowed another few billion?

Isn't there enough debt in the world though?

https://www.ft.com/content/938642f6-21bd-11ea-b8a1-584213ee7b2b

I know we're not an emerging market but 55 trillion, eck!!

They wouldn't have to buy them back just not renew the franchises and many other major European countries seem to invest in their railways.Have you been to German or the Netherlands lately, it's a different world.
That M4 again! on 19:05 - Jan 2 with 877 viewsmajorraglan

That M4 again! on 15:41 - Jan 2 by controversial_jack

They wouldn't have to buy them back just not renew the franchises and many other major European countries seem to invest in their railways.Have you been to German or the Netherlands lately, it's a different world.

Fair point. Seems mental that we’d spend tens of billions on HS2 and let someone else make a profit on it. Appoint sensible people to run the railway so that it operates profitably and reinvest the profit in improving services. Could be a winner.
That M4 again! on 13:47 - Jan 3 with 778 viewsCatullus

That M4 again! on 15:41 - Jan 2 by controversial_jack

Yes and that means waiting for the franchise to run out which then means no investment until the franchise runs out. Some of those franchises go beyond the next election so even if Labour won, if they waited til the deals ran out most of the rail services wouldn't be renationalised meaning Labour would have needed another victory, that or borrow and buy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_companies_operating_trains_in_the_United_K

I fail to see what other European countries have done has any bearing on what our government does or will do though. I mean, it's obvious we need the investment and upgrades but just because Germany and the Netherlands do something, it doesn't mean we will.
With any luck (so probably not) Bojo will invest in our country and halt the movement of wealth from the public purse the private profiteering. Again, I won't hold my breath.

That M4 again! on 17:27 - Jan 3 with 748 viewsGlastonbury

Had to undertake several cars again today. It's just not on. Middle lane drivers are the bloody worst
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024