Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Welsh left wing,English right wing. 13:08 - Jan 1 with 1499 viewsladyjack

Welsh left wing,English right wing. on 13:38 - Jan 1 with 1464 viewsladyjack

Plaid voters Welsh, Conservative voters English is a generalisation that is hard to get away from but I do know of non Welsh Plaid voters and on the other hand Welsh Conservative voters.
Welsh left wing,English right wing. on 13:50 - Jan 1 with 1432 viewsLohengrin

You know climate change is more than idle theory if mushrooms are out this early...

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Welsh left wing,English right wing. on 14:00 - Jan 1 with 1407 viewsladyjack

The Profs stats tie in with the old 3 Wales model.
[Post edited 1 Jan 2020 14:01]
Welsh left wing,English right wing. on 17:50 - Jan 1 with 1278 viewsCatullus

There are lies, damned lies and statistics.

Academics come up with theories and then find the facts that back them up and stats can be made to say whatever you want to say.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Welsh left wing,English right wing. on 17:53 - Jan 1 with 1268 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

Welsh left wing,English right wing. on 17:50 - Jan 1 by Catullus

There are lies, damned lies and statistics.

Academics come up with theories and then find the facts that back them up and stats can be made to say whatever you want to say.

Increasingly so these days unfortunately.

Besian Idrizaj Forever a Jack
Poll: When will Duff Revert to 4 at the Back

Welsh left wing,English right wing. on 18:50 - Jan 1 with 1217 viewsladyjack

Welsh left wing,English right wing. on 19:31 - Jan 1 with 1171 viewsPentyrchJack

The way we are playing I would take a left and right winger.

Poll: Fox Hunting - what do you think?

Welsh left wing,English right wing. on 20:04 - Jan 1 with 1132 viewsJoe_bradshaw

Interesting.

https://morningstaronline.co.uk/article/no-‘genuinely-welsh’-did-not-vote-re

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

Login to get fewer ads

Welsh left wing,English right wing. on 20:58 - Jan 1 with 1101 viewsladyjack

Griffiths is the general secretary of the Communist Party of Britain and they are against Britain being members of the European Union.
Welsh left wing,English right wing. on 10:03 - Jan 2 with 1016 viewsLeonWasGod

Welsh left wing,English right wing. on 18:50 - Jan 1 by ladyjack

My old fella's one of them. A fully signed-up member of the Daily Mail whinging about foreigners being a drain on society club. The irony of him moving to Wales on retirement and being a regular user of the NHS is completely lost on him.
Welsh left wing,English right wing. on 10:54 - Jan 2 with 981 viewsJoe_bradshaw

The obvious solution is to stop the free movement of people across the English/Welsh border.

Trumpie should campaign to build a wall to stop the English invasion and should make sure that the English pay for it as well.

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

Welsh left wing,English right wing. on 10:54 - Jan 2 with 981 viewsAnotherJohn

Welsh left wing,English right wing. on 10:03 - Jan 2 by LeonWasGod

My old fella's one of them. A fully signed-up member of the Daily Mail whinging about foreigners being a drain on society club. The irony of him moving to Wales on retirement and being a regular user of the NHS is completely lost on him.

Irony for an older man who has paid tax all his life to use the NHS? As to whether an English-born retiree imposes an unfair burden on NHS Wales, well, first it helps to understand how public services are funded in the post-devolution UK. I'd say your father is using what he helped pay for.

https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/opendemocracyuk/twenty-years-on-from-devolution
Welsh left wing,English right wing. on 12:54 - Jan 2 with 923 viewsLeonWasGod

Welsh left wing,English right wing. on 10:54 - Jan 2 by AnotherJohn

Irony for an older man who has paid tax all his life to use the NHS? As to whether an English-born retiree imposes an unfair burden on NHS Wales, well, first it helps to understand how public services are funded in the post-devolution UK. I'd say your father is using what he helped pay for.

https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/opendemocracyuk/twenty-years-on-from-devolution

Yeah, he fits into the broad picture they are talking about in that article: paying less tax now in Wales (than he did in England) but using the NHS a lot more than he did when he was working in England. So a double whammy for Wales' finances - low tax take and higher public service cost.

But of course he's contributed in the UK over his working life and is entirely eligible now; I didn't say differently. I simply see the irony in someone moving to a region and relying on public services parroting the Leave camp claims that people moving to a region is killing public services (when EU immigrants normally make a positive contribution to the public purse).
Welsh left wing,English right wing. on 14:18 - Jan 2 with 874 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

Welsh left wing,English right wing. on 12:54 - Jan 2 by LeonWasGod

Yeah, he fits into the broad picture they are talking about in that article: paying less tax now in Wales (than he did in England) but using the NHS a lot more than he did when he was working in England. So a double whammy for Wales' finances - low tax take and higher public service cost.

But of course he's contributed in the UK over his working life and is entirely eligible now; I didn't say differently. I simply see the irony in someone moving to a region and relying on public services parroting the Leave camp claims that people moving to a region is killing public services (when EU immigrants normally make a positive contribution to the public purse).

It's the politics of difference often employed by those promoting tolerance and diversity, ironically.

Besian Idrizaj Forever a Jack
Poll: When will Duff Revert to 4 at the Back

Welsh left wing,English right wing. on 18:54 - Jan 2 with 798 viewsAnotherJohn

Welsh left wing,English right wing. on 12:54 - Jan 2 by LeonWasGod

You missed the key point about the Barnett formula and the transfer payment from England that subsidizes public services in Wales. Therefore your father's tax contributions down through the years have helped support the Welsh NHS. He is not moving between fiscal jurisdictions that are entirely separate, as an incomer from outside would be.

Risk pooling for the NHS has two dimensions. At any given time the tax contributions of the better off and healthy help support those who are less well off or need to make heavier use of NHS services. Then there is the cross subsidisation that occurs through the life course, with most people contributing tax income throughout their working lives, but the highest costs on the NHS arising from child and reproductive services and services for older people. Your father contributed in both ways, while a recent migrant from outside will not have done. Of course, that does not mean that we should not help deserving refugees or people whose skills we need, but your argument about your father's situation is off target.
[Post edited 2 Jan 2020 18:58]
Welsh left wing,English right wing. on 19:23 - Jan 2 with 783 viewsLeonWasGod

Welsh left wing,English right wing. on 18:54 - Jan 2 by AnotherJohn

You missed the key point about the Barnett formula and the transfer payment from England that subsidizes public services in Wales. Therefore your father's tax contributions down through the years have helped support the Welsh NHS. He is not moving between fiscal jurisdictions that are entirely separate, as an incomer from outside would be.

Risk pooling for the NHS has two dimensions. At any given time the tax contributions of the better off and healthy help support those who are less well off or need to make heavier use of NHS services. Then there is the cross subsidisation that occurs through the life course, with most people contributing tax income throughout their working lives, but the highest costs on the NHS arising from child and reproductive services and services for older people. Your father contributed in both ways, while a recent migrant from outside will not have done. Of course, that does not mean that we should not help deserving refugees or people whose skills we need, but your argument about your father's situation is off target.
[Post edited 2 Jan 2020 18:58]

You missed the key point where I said he deserves access. Access isn’t the issue; believing bullsh*t about immigrants is.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024