Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
1917 15:58 - Jan 11 with 7246 viewsJohnw102

Saw it last night, well worth the visit very cleverly done, a few jump out your seats moments.

Never knew getting old would happen so quick!

1917 on 21:51 - Jan 21 with 2054 viewsFieryJack

Saw it at the local Imax last week.

Overwhelming in that format. I physically recoiled at 2 points - thought something was going to whizz out of the screen and smash me in the head

Was expecting to walk into a packed auditorium but was a bit surprised & disappointed (considering all the hype) to see that barely a quarter of the seats were taken.
1917 on 22:16 - Jan 21 with 2036 viewsLohengrin

1917 on 21:51 - Jan 21 by FieryJack

Saw it at the local Imax last week.

Overwhelming in that format. I physically recoiled at 2 points - thought something was going to whizz out of the screen and smash me in the head

Was expecting to walk into a packed auditorium but was a bit surprised & disappointed (considering all the hype) to see that barely a quarter of the seats were taken.

Full houses around here, mate.

PS: It was the rat, wasn’t it?

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

1917 on 21:33 - Jan 22 with 1898 viewsWxmJax

SPOILER ALERT

From a conversation on the army wagon, when the Germans were retreating they were killing all the cattle, as could also be seen from the back of the wagon with dead cows everywhere in sight.
So how did they earlier come across a cow grazing near the farm and found fresh milk that had recently been milked in to a bucket ? Who milked the cow ?
I was waiting for some Germans to start firing, but no, they were miles away.

Thought it was ok, that's all, but the missus really enjoyed it.

Poll: England, General Election: How are you going to vote ?

1917 on 21:39 - Jan 22 with 1894 viewsFieryJack

1917 on 22:16 - Jan 21 by Lohengrin

Full houses around here, mate.

PS: It was the rat, wasn’t it?

No, but the missus squirmed a bit when that giant German rat appeared

I recoiled shortly afterwards when the rat set that tripwire explosion off
1917 on 22:32 - Jan 22 with 1871 viewsLord_Bony

The movie has got 10 Oscar nominations, it's right up there with the big boys of last year like Joker, The Irishman etc. It's already won a string of other awards. Great for the British film industry.

Watch this space.

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"
Poll: iS tHERE lIFE aFTER dEATH

1917 on 23:59 - Jan 22 with 1834 viewsWxmJax

1917 on 22:32 - Jan 22 by Lord_Bony

The movie has got 10 Oscar nominations, it's right up there with the big boys of last year like Joker, The Irishman etc. It's already won a string of other awards. Great for the British film industry.

Watch this space.

Westlife had 14 number 1's , which is more than

Abba, Bowie, Jackson, U2, Rolling Stones......well more than everyone apart from Elvis and The Beatles. Doesnt make them a great musical act though

ANOTHER SPOILER ALERT

I enjoyed the cinematography, if that's what it's called, and the lead guy's acting, but it was a very poor man's sort of Saving Private Ryan. Couldn't see the point of Colin Firth, Benedict Cumberbatch and Andrew Scott being in it for less than 2 minutes between them unless it was solely to put bums on seats with their names on the acting credits and all three appeared in the trailer, infact most of Firth's time in the film is shown on the trailer.

Another observation. A sniper was shooting at our hero but when he opens the door on the sniper they both shoot each other simultaneously, sending our man backwards down the stairs, presumably dead but a little later our hero wakes up apparently unscathed

A great fillm it is not and most definitely shouldn't be in the running for best film. Must have been a poor year for film making is all I can think .

Poll: England, General Election: How are you going to vote ?

1917 on 00:12 - Jan 23 with 1820 viewsLord_Bony

Ok so you didn't like the film.no big deal.

But it has received critical.acclaim worldwide, to receive 10 Oscar nominations for best photography, director,editing etc is no mean feat.

We should support the great British movie industry more... Except when they turn out shite like Cats. That film was so bad my missus slept all the way through and she was the one who wanted to watch it. I genuinely felt like crying as I was trapped in my seat for the duration, it just went on and on with just utter dross.

Worse film of the decade.

This post has been edited by an administrator

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"

1917 on 07:35 - Jan 23 with 1743 viewsswan85

1917 on 00:12 - Jan 23 by Lord_Bony

Ok so you didn't like the film.no big deal.

But it has received critical.acclaim worldwide, to receive 10 Oscar nominations for best photography, director,editing etc is no mean feat.

We should support the great British movie industry more... Except when they turn out shite like Cats. That film was so bad my missus slept all the way through and she was the one who wanted to watch it. I genuinely felt like crying as I was trapped in my seat for the duration, it just went on and on with just utter dross.

Worse film of the decade.

Took my Mrs to see the stage show version of Cats about 4 years ago. At the time we both walked out and said that was weird. Shite would be another good description.
Login to get fewer ads

1917 on 09:22 - Jan 23 with 1716 viewsAlfieMooresSon

1917 on 09:10 - Jan 14 by Lord_Bony

Saw this film last night in IMax. Absolutely brilliant, if anyone thinks war is
glamour ous have a look at this, the British version of Saving Private Ryan almost.

Wow that looks a great trailer!
1917 on 09:38 - Jan 23 with 1706 viewsLord_Bony

1917 on 07:35 - Jan 23 by swan85

Took my Mrs to see the stage show version of Cats about 4 years ago. At the time we both walked out and said that was weird. Shite would be another good description.

Yeah, I feel your pain brother.
From now on it is known as Catshite in my household.

The one saving grace of the film should have been the Elaine Paige song "Memories"
Beautiful, instead they absolutelymullered it with some lady cat singing with tears and snot running down her face. Just f*c n awful.

1917 on 18:36 - Jan 23 with 1618 viewsperplex

Can never be called a great film simply because they made out that the Germans could not shoot straight, at times that aspect of the film bordered on the ridiculous, apart from that it was good.
1917 on 07:13 - Jan 24 with 1562 viewsCooperman

Brilliant film, good story, great storyline.

I’ve not seen it mind, don’t need to after reading Planet Swans.

Poll: Your confectionery tub of choice

1917 on 10:39 - Jan 24 with 1512 viewsHighjack

1917 on 18:36 - Jan 23 by perplex

Can never be called a great film simply because they made out that the Germans could not shoot straight, at times that aspect of the film bordered on the ridiculous, apart from that it was good.

A lot of them couldn’t shoot straight. Most of them didn’t have much training, they were just given a gun and shoved right in there. The guns were awful in general. The french had a gun called a chauchat rifle where the magazine was on the outside, underneath the gun. It got clogged up with mud and constantly jammed. It’s known as one of the most unreliable guns ever made. Their equipment was completely unsuitable. Most people died from artillery and machine gun nests.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

1917 on 22:33 - Jan 25 with 1403 viewsepaul

Just watched it, wow wow bl**dy wow, amazing film, almost choked at the end, anyone who says it's not is an idiot

The hair and the beard have gone I am now conforming to society, tis a sad day The b*stards are coming back though

1917 on 22:36 - Jan 25 with 1389 viewsLohengrin

1917 on 22:33 - Jan 25 by epaul

Just watched it, wow wow bl**dy wow, amazing film, almost choked at the end, anyone who says it's not is an idiot

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

1917 on 22:44 - Jan 25 with 1374 viewsDr_Winston

1917 on 09:29 - Jan 14 by Best_loser

Anything filmed by Roger deakins is worth seeing

Saw it last night. If he doesn't win best Cinematography at the Oscars it'll be up there with Ralph Feinnes losing to Tommy Lee Jones for Best Supporting in 1994.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

1917 on 08:24 - Jan 26 with 1310 viewsepaul

1917 on 22:36 - Jan 25 by Lohengrin

The hair and the beard have gone I am now conforming to society, tis a sad day The b*stards are coming back though

1917 on 08:34 - Jan 26 with 1300 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

1917 on 10:39 - Jan 24 by Highjack

A lot of them couldn’t shoot straight. Most of them didn’t have much training, they were just given a gun and shoved right in there. The guns were awful in general. The french had a gun called a chauchat rifle where the magazine was on the outside, underneath the gun. It got clogged up with mud and constantly jammed. It’s known as one of the most unreliable guns ever made. Their equipment was completely unsuitable. Most people died from artillery and machine gun nests.

Good point, in the latter stages of WW2, Germany pressed teenagers and older men directly into service, I appreciate the film is WW1.
[Post edited 26 Jan 2020 9:05]

Besian Idrizaj Forever a Jack
Poll: When will Duff Revert to 4 at the Back

1917 on 12:36 - Jan 26 with 1257 viewsSwanDownUnder

I enjoyed the film, after doing some research though its apparently "looselier" based on a true story than Jordan's north & south mouth combined.
1917 on 17:30 - Jan 26 with 1189 viewsSwanjaxs

1917 on 12:36 - Jan 26 by SwanDownUnder

I enjoyed the film, after doing some research though its apparently "looselier" based on a true story than Jordan's north & south mouth combined.

"looselier" ...

Is that even a word?

You might think I've forgotten, but one day, when you least expect it, my time will come.
Poll: Celtic and Rangers should be fast tracked into the Championship ASAP

1917 on 10:12 - Jan 27 with 1112 viewsjackrmee

1917 on 23:59 - Jan 22 by WxmJax

Westlife had 14 number 1's , which is more than

Abba, Bowie, Jackson, U2, Rolling Stones......well more than everyone apart from Elvis and The Beatles. Doesnt make them a great musical act though

ANOTHER SPOILER ALERT

I enjoyed the cinematography, if that's what it's called, and the lead guy's acting, but it was a very poor man's sort of Saving Private Ryan. Couldn't see the point of Colin Firth, Benedict Cumberbatch and Andrew Scott being in it for less than 2 minutes between them unless it was solely to put bums on seats with their names on the acting credits and all three appeared in the trailer, infact most of Firth's time in the film is shown on the trailer.

Another observation. A sniper was shooting at our hero but when he opens the door on the sniper they both shoot each other simultaneously, sending our man backwards down the stairs, presumably dead but a little later our hero wakes up apparently unscathed

A great fillm it is not and most definitely shouldn't be in the running for best film. Must have been a poor year for film making is all I can think .

Must have shot him in the rifle.
LUCKY, LUCKY BARSTAD.

Poll: Who are you voting for this year? I'm sure Grimes will be popular. I've gone Oli

1917 on 10:18 - Jan 27 with 1107 viewsjackrmee

Usually I would have been put off by the unrealistic shots being missed everywhere, like you see in many action films, but I gave this the benefit of the doubt, due to it being set in WWI.

Not sure I've seen many WWI movies. Are there any more?

Most I've seen are set WWII onwards. The weapons used in WWII weren't the best, bu they have 30 years on these ones.

Poll: Who are you voting for this year? I'm sure Grimes will be popular. I've gone Oli

1917 on 10:21 - Jan 27 with 1107 viewsjackrmee

1917 on 12:36 - Jan 26 by SwanDownUnder

"Based on true events" and "True story" mean two totally different things IMO.

True events means that it's probably a fictional story, based in a true battle for instance.
True story means the things actually happened.

1917 on 13:11 - Jan 27 with 1059 viewsBatterseajack

They were likely to be drunk to be fair
1917 on 13:31 - Jan 27 with 1047 viewsHighjack

1917 on 10:18 - Jan 27 by jackrmee

Usually I would have been put off by the unrealistic shots being missed everywhere, like you see in many action films, but I gave this the benefit of the doubt, due to it being set in WWI.

Not sure I've seen many WWI movies. Are there any more?

Most I've seen are set WWII onwards. The weapons used in WWII weren't the best, bu they have 30 years on these ones.

The guns they were issued with were practically useless in the heat of battle. Fiddling with lever action rifles whilst in the heat of battle with artillery going off everywhere. You’d be better off using your bayonet.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024