Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Official Swansea City vs Wigan Athletic Match Thread 23:55 - Jan 13 with 33685 viewsjackharris

[Post edited 18 Jan 2020 14:08]

Very proud to be voted Planet Swans Poster of the Year 2017 by my fellow posters. Especially on a site that nearly had 20 million impressions last year.
Poll: What is your favourite Knock?

The Official Swansea City vs Wigan Athletic Match Thread on 21:05 - Jan 18 with 1906 viewsTNT

The Official Swansea City vs Wigan Athletic Match Thread on 20:57 - Jan 18 by bryncochjack

Bryncoch is full of them. You should pop into the Duffryn Arms, it's like Bangkok.

Good sell, landlord.

Did a bit of my courting in there in the early '80's... bit classier then maybe.

Poll: Would you make goalposts bigger?

The Official Swansea City vs Wigan Athletic Match Thread on 21:09 - Jan 18 with 1889 viewsTNT

The Official Swansea City vs Wigan Athletic Match Thread on 21:03 - Jan 18 by Chief

No, there are genuine questions that need to be asked and answered. We did have a load of luck throughout our brilliant start.

Most Swans fans know our good league position is misleading as the form table would tell you.

Get what you're saying Chief, but when we came up from the bottom of the leagues, people were so happy to be where we now are.

The Official Swansea City vs Wigan Athletic Match Thread on 21:28 - Jan 18 with 1796 viewsOneill_77

The Official Swansea City vs Wigan Athletic Match Thread on 20:56 - Jan 18 by TNT

We're 5th in The Championship, and no-one seems happy.

Is it because we've come 'down' to this, whereas people were happy when we came 'up' to this?

I'm more than happy.
It's all about expectation and unfortunately there are too many with unreasonably lofty expectations.
Today was a hugely encouraging performance by a young team with fight, grit and determination to win. The spine was solid. Togetherness was solid..
- CBs were mature beyond their years, and dealt with Moore with confidence and aplomb
- CM held it together - all Midfielders put in a shift to cover for one another
- Brewster a breath of exuberant fresh air up top
- Ayew - given the licence to roam and excelled as usual, galvanising, encouraging
- Celina - given the licence to express without undue defensive worries
Th Nth East was more than happy too. Brewster's recognition at the end was telling.
The Official Swansea City vs Wigan Athletic Match Thread on 21:32 - Jan 18 with 1783 viewsTNT

The Official Swansea City vs Wigan Athletic Match Thread on 21:28 - Jan 18 by Oneill_77

I'm more than happy.
It's all about expectation and unfortunately there are too many with unreasonably lofty expectations.
Today was a hugely encouraging performance by a young team with fight, grit and determination to win. The spine was solid. Togetherness was solid..
- CBs were mature beyond their years, and dealt with Moore with confidence and aplomb
- Ayew - given the licence to roam and excelled as usual, galvanising, encouraging
Th Nth East was more than happy too. Brewster's recognition at the end was telling.

You'll get pelters for posting stuff like that, mwsh.

The Official Swansea City vs Wigan Athletic Match Thread on 21:32 - Jan 18 with 1780 viewsChief

The Official Swansea City vs Wigan Athletic Match Thread on 21:09 - Jan 18 by TNT

Get what you're saying Chief, but when we came up from the bottom of the leagues, people were so happy to be where we now are.

Yea of course. But we've fallen a fair bit in the last few years and we haven't been in the lower leagues for over a decade now.

It's healthy to question and constructively criticise where appropriate.

Poll: Rate the ref's performance today

The Official Swansea City vs Wigan Athletic Match Thread on 21:37 - Jan 18 with 1747 viewsDr_Winston

The Official Swansea City vs Wigan Athletic Match Thread on 21:32 - Jan 18 by Chief

Yea of course. But we've fallen a fair bit in the last few years and we haven't been in the lower leagues for over a decade now.

It's healthy to question and constructively criticise where appropriate.

Suspect a lot of the criticism is borne of frustration. When you see the same patterns and mistakes happening again and again, game after game then people are going to have a bip.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

The Official Swansea City vs Wigan Athletic Match Thread on 21:42 - Jan 18 with 1728 viewsTNT

The Official Swansea City vs Wigan Athletic Match Thread on 21:37 - Jan 18 by Dr_Winston

Suspect a lot of the criticism is borne of frustration. When you see the same patterns and mistakes happening again and again, game after game then people are going to have a bip.

I do feel things are now happening, and I'd rather see the three youngsters with potential, with something to prove, and who have worked with Cooper, than ageing journeymen on a final pay steal.

The Official Swansea City vs Wigan Athletic Match Thread on 21:43 - Jan 18 with 1728 viewsChief

The Official Swansea City vs Wigan Athletic Match Thread on 21:37 - Jan 18 by Dr_Winston

Yes as I alluded to earlier, our lofty league position has belied what is happening on the pitch for some time now.

I don't think it would take a lot to make us a proper force in this division though, some simple fairly obvious changes would help a lot I think.

Login to get fewer ads

The Official Swansea City vs Wigan Athletic Match Thread on 21:46 - Jan 18 with 1717 viewsOneill_77

The Official Swansea City vs Wigan Athletic Match Thread on 21:32 - Jan 18 by TNT

You'll get pelters for posting stuff like that, mwsh.

Mwsh, get what you're saying (on here) but there's a definite shift in momentum and mood amongst the younger brigade on the terraces, embracing the focus on young talented ambition.

There's always room for good old cynical realism, however there's a sense that this tired cynicism has had it's day and young, fresh positivity is the way forward.

The hierarchy, management team and players are massively embracing it. Let's hope others do too.
The Official Swansea City vs Wigan Athletic Match Thread on 21:50 - Jan 18 with 1683 viewsOneill_77

The Official Swansea City vs Wigan Athletic Match Thread on 21:43 - Jan 18 by Chief

Yes as I alluded to earlier, our lofty league position has belied what is happening on the pitch for some time now.

I don't think it would take a lot to make us a proper force in this division though, some simple fairly obvious changes would help a lot I think.

Quite right. Apart from a solid CDM what changes would you obviously make ?
The Official Swansea City vs Wigan Athletic Match Thread on 21:51 - Jan 18 with 1677 viewsChief

The Official Swansea City vs Wigan Athletic Match Thread on 21:46 - Jan 18 by Oneill_77

Mwsh, get what you're saying (on here) but there's a definite shift in momentum and mood amongst the younger brigade on the terraces, embracing the focus on young talented ambition.

There's always room for good old cynical realism, however there's a sense that this tired cynicism has had it's day and young, fresh positivity is the way forward.

The hierarchy, management team and players are massively embracing it. Let's hope others do too.

I do feel like the loan signings has given the club a lift, felt the atmosphere on the East was as good as it's been probably since the Cardiff game.

The Official Swansea City vs Wigan Athletic Match Thread on 21:52 - Jan 18 with 1671 viewsTNT

The Official Swansea City vs Wigan Athletic Match Thread on 21:46 - Jan 18 by Oneill_77

Mate, I'll vote you for Prime Minister too.

Young Jacks are the way forward, leave the cantankerous oldies to bitch on here, mwsh.

YJB!
[Post edited 18 Jan 2020 21:53]

The Official Swansea City vs Wigan Athletic Match Thread on 22:13 - Jan 18 with 1599 viewsPrivate_Partz

The Official Swansea City vs Wigan Athletic Match Thread on 20:18 - Jan 18 by Highjack

Three.

Indeed. Byers efforts to hold up play was poor in the area but the passing and movement by Wigan leading up to their goal was excellent.
I have seen Wigan both home and away this season and in both games they have given us more than a good run for our money.
I think they are in a false position and are nowhere near as bad as some are making out on here.
This was a good win considering a bizarre ref and at least one very dodgy linesman.
The new recruits look the biz as well considering they have hardly any game time.
I am going to allow myself some optimism tonight. We are in with a shout. despite the Yanks.
[Post edited 18 Jan 2020 22:21]

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

The Official Swansea City vs Wigan Athletic Match Thread on 22:14 - Jan 18 with 1594 viewsChief

The Official Swansea City vs Wigan Athletic Match Thread on 21:50 - Jan 18 by Oneill_77

Quite right. Apart from a solid CDM what changes would you obviously make ?

Celina in the centre (although he was very good today - best performance of season), proper wingers playing more regularly, making subs at more opportune times, stop the pointless chopping and changing (thinking Dhanda, Peterson, McKay etc), drop Byers / Grimes, take captaincy off Grimes.

The Official Swansea City vs Wigan Athletic Match Thread on 22:26 - Jan 18 with 1534 viewsDr_Winston

The Official Swansea City vs Wigan Athletic Match Thread on 22:14 - Jan 18 by Chief

Celina in the centre (although he was very good today - best performance of season), proper wingers playing more regularly, making subs at more opportune times, stop the pointless chopping and changing (thinking Dhanda, Peterson, McKay etc), drop Byers / Grimes, take captaincy off Grimes.

Mostly this.

It remains a puzzle why Cooper has been so keen to drop certain individuals after the first whiff of underperformance (Baston, the ever changing rota of wingers) but two players as singularly hapless this season as Grimes and Byers have been and remain almost automatic choices.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

The Official Swansea City vs Wigan Athletic Match Thread on 22:29 - Jan 18 with 1523 viewsChief

I give him credit for finally seeing through Bidwell and acting mind

The Official Swansea City vs Wigan Athletic Match Thread on 22:35 - Jan 18 with 1499 viewsOneill_77

The Official Swansea City vs Wigan Athletic Match Thread on 22:14 - Jan 18 by Chief

Celina seems to thrive when peripheral; a dark horse, prefers to be off radar to shock and awe, as he did today with massive effect. Would therefore keep him wide.
Not sure which wingers would convince changing today's set up., unfortunately.
Chopping and changing is inevitable when nurturing this youngish squad; Dhanda now deserves his chance again especially given his heritage with Brewster.
Ayew is the obvs captain, subject to longevity. Grimes would flourish without the burden.
The Official Swansea City vs Wigan Athletic Match Thread on 22:37 - Jan 18 with 1491 viewsjasper_T

The Official Swansea City vs Wigan Athletic Match Thread on 21:28 - Jan 18 by Oneill_77

I'm more than happy.

"Lofty expectations" based on how good we were to watch all of 9 months ago. Feels like a lifetime.
The Official Swansea City vs Wigan Athletic Match Thread on 22:40 - Jan 18 with 1479 viewsbuilthjack

The Official Swansea City vs Wigan Athletic Match Thread on 18:58 - Jan 18 by longlostjack

When was the last time Grimes had a good game? Ayew should be made captain. Take the pressure off Grimes.
[Post edited 18 Jan 2020 18:59]

Grimes reminds me of a player in a local league at a club with a first and a reserve team. He would be outstanding for the ressies in a shit League every week. So is promoted to the first team. He can't hack it so is demoted back to the stiffs.
Simply not good enough for a top half championship side. League 1 is his level.

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

The Official Swansea City vs Wigan Athletic Match Thread on 22:49 - Jan 18 with 1453 viewsTNT

The Official Swansea City vs Wigan Athletic Match Thread on 22:26 - Jan 18 by Dr_Winston

Mostly this.

It remains a puzzle why Cooper has been so keen to drop certain individuals after the first whiff of underperformance (Baston, the ever changing rota of wingers) but two players as singularly hapless this season as Grimes and Byers have been and remain almost automatic choices.

I get what you're saying, but things are slowly starting to change.

The Official Swansea City vs Wigan Athletic Match Thread on 22:54 - Jan 18 with 1435 viewsChief

The Official Swansea City vs Wigan Athletic Match Thread on 22:35 - Jan 18 by Oneill_77

Celina seems to thrive when peripheral; a dark horse, prefers to be off radar to shock and awe, as he did today with massive effect. Would therefore keep him wide.
Not sure which wingers would convince changing today's set up., unfortunately.
Chopping and changing is inevitable when nurturing this youngish squad; Dhanda now deserves his chance again especially given his heritage with Brewster.
Ayew is the obvs captain, subject to longevity. Grimes would flourish without the burden.

Disagree on Celina thriving on periphery. He was played centrally last season so was in the thick of it a lot more and overall he put in far better performances last season.

Understand your point about maybe drip feeding games to youngsters but I think it would benefit the likes of Dhanda, Garrick, Peterson at least a lengthy run on the bench. So far it's been a start, then dropped altogether, then reappear months later.

The Official Swansea City vs Wigan Athletic Match Thread on 22:59 - Jan 18 with 1403 viewsDr_Winston

The Official Swansea City vs Wigan Athletic Match Thread on 22:49 - Jan 18 by TNT

I get what you're saying, but things are slowly starting to change.

Maybe.

For me it seems like Cooper has his favourites that get unlimited game time no matter how badly they play whilst others get one game in six and are then cast to the periphery if they don't immediately pull up trees.

It's not a good way to keep a squad engaged.

The Official Swansea City vs Wigan Athletic Match Thread on 23:03 - Jan 18 with 1388 viewsTNT

The Official Swansea City vs Wigan Athletic Match Thread on 22:54 - Jan 18 by Chief

Disagree on Celina thriving on periphery. He was played centrally last season so was in the thick of it a lot more and overall he put in far better performances last season.

Understand your point about maybe drip feeding games to youngsters but I think it would benefit the likes of Dhanda, Garrick, Peterson at least a lengthy run on the bench. So far it's been a start, then dropped altogether, then reappear months later.

Agree mate, but it's for people to nail the shirt. Nobody is playing that well that they cannot be dropped. We need players who want to take the shirt from the complacent / underperforming / not good enough players. Changes are afoot.

The Official Swansea City vs Wigan Athletic Match Thread on 23:29 - Jan 18 with 1327 viewsOneill_77

The Official Swansea City vs Wigan Athletic Match Thread on 22:59 - Jan 18 by Dr_Winston

Maybe.

For me it seems like Cooper has his favourites that get unlimited game time no matter how badly they play whilst others get one game in six and are then cast to the periphery if they don't immediately pull up trees.

It's not a good way to keep a squad engaged.

It does seem like that superficially but it's a tough one to call.

Thing is the coaching team get to see the squad day in. They see stuff we don't. No matter how clever we think we are, we are at best insightful onlookers from afar. I doubt many posters have had the privilege of playing or coaching at this level, so even tougher to gauge.

My understanding is that the squad is currently buzzing.

Let's hope they are doing their best to continue to keep the squad engaged, despite how it may look to us outsiders.
The Official Swansea City vs Wigan Athletic Match Thread on 23:38 - Jan 18 with 1304 viewsChief

The Official Swansea City vs Wigan Athletic Match Thread on 23:03 - Jan 18 by TNT

Agree mate, but it's for people to nail the shirt. Nobody is playing that well that they cannot be dropped. We need players who want to take the shirt from the complacent / underperforming / not good enough players. Changes are afoot.

Yes, but it's also difficult to impress if you aren't given a fair crack too.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024