Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Official Swansea City vs Wigan Athletic Match Thread 23:55 - Jan 13 with 33734 viewsjackharris

[Post edited 18 Jan 2020 14:08]

Very proud to be voted Planet Swans Poster of the Year 2017 by my fellow posters. Especially on a site that nearly had 20 million impressions last year.
Poll: What is your favourite Knock?

The Official Swansea City vs Wigan Athletic Match Thread on 23:40 - Jan 18 with 1751 viewsChief

The Official Swansea City vs Wigan Athletic Match Thread on 23:29 - Jan 18 by Oneill_77

It does seem like that superficially but it's a tough one to call.

Thing is the coaching team get to see the squad day in. They see stuff we don't. No matter how clever we think we are, we are at best insightful onlookers from afar. I doubt many posters have had the privilege of playing or coaching at this level, so even tougher to gauge.

My understanding is that the squad is currently buzzing.

Let's hope they are doing their best to continue to keep the squad engaged, despite how it may look to us outsiders.

Byers / Grimes must be absolutely bossing it in training then!

Poll: Rate the ref's performance today

The Official Swansea City vs Wigan Athletic Match Thread on 23:52 - Jan 18 with 1701 viewsjasper_T

The Official Swansea City vs Wigan Athletic Match Thread on 23:29 - Jan 18 by Oneill_77

It does seem like that superficially but it's a tough one to call.

Thing is the coaching team get to see the squad day in. They see stuff we don't. No matter how clever we think we are, we are at best insightful onlookers from afar. I doubt many posters have had the privilege of playing or coaching at this level, so even tougher to gauge.

My understanding is that the squad is currently buzzing.

Let's hope they are doing their best to continue to keep the squad engaged, despite how it may look to us outsiders.

At the end of the day it's the games that matter though, isn't it. Doesn't matter how skilful or professional or determined a player is in training if it's not reflected on the pitch.

You never wanted DJ on your team in training according to Oli. Part of the reason Shrewsbury sent him home.
The Official Swansea City vs Wigan Athletic Match Thread on 07:55 - Jan 19 with 1386 viewsTimTtam

Only managed to see minutes 25 to 45, and then the highlights. But it looked like we got back to playing actual 'football' and were willing to attack more. Both goals were clinical and it was great to see some goals scored from open play.

Gallagher is going to be huge for us and our promotion chances. I know he plays in the no.10 role, but he seemed to drop back into the midfield quite a bit. He's got quality, but also is willing to make a tackle. Essentially he's a more skilled Fulton.

The front 4 of Brewster, Celina, Gallagher and Ayew looks as good as anyone in the league. The back 4 is settled in terms of LB and RB, and VDH & Rodon will be back soon to replace our already skilled CBs. While I thought Bidwell was a trier, it's obvious now that he's a backup LB.

Midfield is still the question mark. I thought the point of Gallagher coming in was to play alongside Grimes. Personally I'd go with 4-3-3 and slide Gallagher into CM with Grimes and Byers/Fulton/Carrol.

.................Woodman
Roberts . VDH . Rodon . Naughton
.....Carrol . Gallagher . Grimes
.......Ayew . Brewster . Celina

My name is Matt
Poll: Best option in regards to the EPL & EFL seasons?

The Official Swansea City vs Wigan Athletic Match Thread on 08:33 - Jan 19 with 1337 viewssP7qupUf

The Official Swansea City vs Wigan Athletic Match Thread on 07:55 - Jan 19 by TimTtam

Only managed to see minutes 25 to 45, and then the highlights. But it looked like we got back to playing actual 'football' and were willing to attack more. Both goals were clinical and it was great to see some goals scored from open play.

Gallagher is going to be huge for us and our promotion chances. I know he plays in the no.10 role, but he seemed to drop back into the midfield quite a bit. He's got quality, but also is willing to make a tackle. Essentially he's a more skilled Fulton.

The front 4 of Brewster, Celina, Gallagher and Ayew looks as good as anyone in the league. The back 4 is settled in terms of LB and RB, and VDH & Rodon will be back soon to replace our already skilled CBs. While I thought Bidwell was a trier, it's obvious now that he's a backup LB.

Midfield is still the question mark. I thought the point of Gallagher coming in was to play alongside Grimes. Personally I'd go with 4-3-3 and slide Gallagher into CM with Grimes and Byers/Fulton/Carrol.

.................Woodman
Roberts . VDH . Rodon . Naughton
.....Carrol . Gallagher . Grimes
.......Ayew . Brewster . Celina

Carrol!!!! Are you serious?
The Official Swansea City vs Wigan Athletic Match Thread on 08:43 - Jan 19 with 1313 viewsBrynmill_Jack

The Official Swansea City vs Wigan Athletic Match Thread on 20:12 - Jan 18 by vetchonian

Byers could have and should have done more to get to the ball and player resulting in their goal
I still dont see what he brings to the team he is static never looks up and 80 % of the time passes back.

He made the tokenest of gesturesvto get into position, was easily beaten (he didn't make any effort at all) just shrugged his shoulders and did a pointy type thing. Get rid FFS

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

The Official Swansea City vs Wigan Athletic Match Thread on 08:44 - Jan 19 with 1317 viewsDr_Winston

Time and time again they found space down the right hand side. Roberts was all over the place.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

The Official Swansea City vs Wigan Athletic Match Thread on 09:22 - Jan 19 with 1249 viewsFireboy2

The Official Swansea City vs Wigan Athletic Match Thread on 08:43 - Jan 19 by Brynmill_Jack

He made the tokenest of gesturesvto get into position, was easily beaten (he didn't make any effort at all) just shrugged his shoulders and did a pointy type thing. Get rid FFS

Yep saw all that, plus he turned his back on the scorer instead of trying to stand up and stop him therefore giving him the chance to shimmy and put the ball on his left, you know the rest.
The Official Swansea City vs Wigan Athletic Match Thread on 09:23 - Jan 19 with 1254 viewsgordondg

Credit their left back going forward,impressed.
Login to get fewer ads

The Official Swansea City vs Wigan Athletic Match Thread on 09:25 - Jan 19 with 1249 viewsfelixstowe_jack

The Official Swansea City vs Wigan Athletic Match Thread on 20:56 - Jan 18 by TNT

We're 5th in The Championship, and no-one seems happy.

Is it because we've come 'down' to this, whereas people were happy when we came 'up' to this?

Strange everyone was happy with Potter at this stage of season last year even though we were mid table and had James and McBurnie.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

The Official Swansea City vs Wigan Athletic Match Thread on 09:32 - Jan 19 with 1230 viewsChief

The Official Swansea City vs Wigan Athletic Match Thread on 09:25 - Jan 19 by felixstowe_jack

Strange everyone was happy with Potter at this stage of season last year even though we were mid table and had James and McBurnie.

I think that was because there was a sense that he was getting the very best out of the squad he had

Poll: Rate the ref's performance today

The Official Swansea City vs Wigan Athletic Match Thread on 10:21 - Jan 19 with 1153 viewsTimTtam

The Official Swansea City vs Wigan Athletic Match Thread on 08:33 - Jan 19 by sP7qupUf

It was a tough choice. All 3 (Byers, Fulton, Carrol) have flaws. I'd pick Carrol based on the talent he has shown in the past. Byers is hot or cold (and when it's cold, it's freezing), and Fulton doesn't really excite me. It'll be a spot which each of them will hold for a few games I'm sure.

My name is Matt

The Official Swansea City vs Wigan Athletic Match Thread on 10:44 - Jan 19 with 1118 viewsvetchonian

Did anyone else notice Cooper and Routledge having some sort of “spat” as the team walked off.
Cooper seemed to want to give Routledge a hug but Wayne kept pushing him away

Poll: Will CCFC win a game this season?

The Official Swansea City vs Wigan Athletic Match Thread on 11:17 - Jan 19 with 1067 viewsJoe_bradshaw

The Official Swansea City vs Wigan Athletic Match Thread on 08:44 - Jan 19 by Dr_Winston

Time and time again they found space down the right hand side. Roberts was all over the place.

Absolutely spot on.

Roberts’ positioning was terrible throughout and most of their attacks came down his side as a result. He gets sucked into the centre all the time and then has to rush out which makes him easy to beat. He needs a kick up the backside and has done for months.

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

The Official Swansea City vs Wigan Athletic Match Thread on 11:27 - Jan 19 with 1048 viewsvetchonian

The Official Swansea City vs Wigan Athletic Match Thread on 11:17 - Jan 19 by Joe_bradshaw

Absolutely spot on.

Roberts’ positioning was terrible throughout and most of their attacks came down his side as a result. He gets sucked into the centre all the time and then has to rush out which makes him easy to beat. He needs a kick up the backside and has done for months.

He might be good getting forwards but his ability to defend is questionable
Watch him closely always backs off his man often turning his back that’s led to a few goals scored against us this season

Poll: Will CCFC win a game this season?

The Official Swansea City vs Wigan Athletic Match Thread on 11:31 - Jan 19 with 1042 viewsAguycalledJack

The Official Swansea City vs Wigan Athletic Match Thread on 11:27 - Jan 19 by vetchonian

Watch him closely always backs off his man often turning his back that’s led to a few goals scored against us this season

Never stops the cross.
The Official Swansea City vs Wigan Athletic Match Thread on 11:47 - Jan 19 with 1013 viewsjasper_T

The Official Swansea City vs Wigan Athletic Match Thread on 09:25 - Jan 19 by felixstowe_jack

Dunno, there were a few sour faces in December after we'd been turned over by a few teams, and then the couple of capitulations at the end of the year. But it felt like we'd found the right formula in January and started looking like a real side for the rest of the season.

Potter did get the benefit of expectations being extremely low with all the youth players half our fans hadn't heard of being involved in the squad. Routs and Dyer not being available for regular selection as well meant his squad was a lot thinner and less proven than what we have now. Courtney Baker-Richardson made 17 appearances - Cooper's signings Kalulu and Peterson have only made 12 so far combined.
The Official Swansea City vs Wigan Athletic Match Thread on 12:06 - Jan 19 with 978 viewsBrynmill_Jack

The Official Swansea City vs Wigan Athletic Match Thread on 22:59 - Jan 18 by Dr_Winston

Maybe.

For me it seems like Cooper has his favourites that get unlimited game time no matter how badly they play whilst others get one game in six and are then cast to the periphery if they don't immediately pull up trees.

It's not a good way to keep a squad engaged.

No it certainly is not. This is where the chasm between coach and manager starts to manifest itself with Cooper. If he can sort this out as part of his learning curve then great.

The Official Swansea City vs Wigan Athletic Match Thread on 12:09 - Jan 19 with 973 viewsDr_Winston

The Official Swansea City vs Wigan Athletic Match Thread on 11:27 - Jan 19 by vetchonian

Not all that good getting forward either.

His development has stagnated significantly, and it's not down to Cooper. The malaise started setting in last season.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

The Official Swansea City vs Wigan Athletic Match Thread on 12:10 - Jan 19 with 965 viewsBrynmill_Jack

The Official Swansea City vs Wigan Athletic Match Thread on 08:33 - Jan 19 by sP7qupUf

Offers a lot more than Byers ever will. With Gallagher there's no room for a fancy dan. Need a grafter and Carroll has far more graft in him than Byers ever will.

The Official Swansea City vs Wigan Athletic Match Thread on 12:18 - Jan 19 with 953 viewsA_Fans_Dad

The Official Swansea City vs Wigan Athletic Match Thread on 11:17 - Jan 19 by Joe_bradshaw

Absolutely spot on.

Who is supposed to be his support when being attacked by 2 players.
Wouldn't be the non existent winger would it?
The Official Swansea City vs Wigan Athletic Match Thread on 12:27 - Jan 19 with 936 viewsJoe_bradshaw

The Official Swansea City vs Wigan Athletic Match Thread on 12:18 - Jan 19 by A_Fans_Dad

Who is supposed to be his support when being attacked by 2 players.
Wouldn't be the non existent winger would it?

Ayew.

Doesn’t excuse disgraceful positioning though.

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

The Official Swansea City vs Wigan Athletic Match Thread on 12:36 - Jan 19 with 925 viewssainthelens

Must be getting interesting, just found myself jumping out my seat cos Luton just took lead at Forest.
Must stop getting ahead of myself.
The Official Swansea City vs Wigan Athletic Match Thread on 12:37 - Jan 19 with 923 viewsA_Fans_Dad

The Official Swansea City vs Wigan Athletic Match Thread on 12:10 - Jan 19 by Brynmill_Jack

Offers a lot more than Byers ever will. With Gallagher there's no room for a fancy dan. Need a grafter and Carroll has far more graft in him than Byers ever will.

Funny how Whoscored.com doesn't agree with you, they rate Byers at 6.6 against Carrolls 6.2.
Must be something to do with the 5 goals Byers scored to Carrolls 0.
Plus his passing rate is better, as is his tackling & clearances.
Personally I think both of them are too lightweight, even though they can both be skillful.
The mix of Grimes with Carroll or Byers should not be used.
The Official Swansea City vs Wigan Athletic Match Thread on 12:44 - Jan 19 with 916 viewsjack_lord

The Official Swansea City vs Wigan Athletic Match Thread on 12:10 - Jan 19 by Brynmill_Jack

The problem with Carroll is he is second, only to McKay in the sh1thouse challenge. Though he is a bit dirty with fouls when he gets skimmed.
Shame as there is a class player in there.

Lord_Jack increasingly detached from the riches of kicking a ball
Poll: The E U : Stay or Leave

The Official Swansea City vs Wigan Athletic Match Thread on 14:39 - Jan 19 with 827 viewsTimTtam

The Official Swansea City vs Wigan Athletic Match Thread on 10:44 - Jan 19 by vetchonian

Did anyone else notice Cooper and Routledge having some sort of “spat” as the team walked off.
Cooper seemed to want to give Routledge a hug but Wayne kept pushing him away

Routs spoke very highly of Cooper in an interview less than 2 weeks ago. Could've been a joke. Could you see their expressions?

My name is Matt

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024