Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Liberty Attendance: the downward two-year trend in the Championship 19:50 - Jan 20 with 5478 viewsTummer_from_Texas

Has me perplexed that we averaged 18,737 last season, but only 16,260 so far this season (-14%). Yet this year we have a much better team and we are currently in a playoff position, where we were smack dab mid table the whole way last season, which was particularly boring.

Only thing I can think of is the possibility that a lot of season ticket holders from 17/18 early renewed for 18/19 before they knew we'd be relegated from the PL. But that can't be the whole cause, is it?

PS - is our away attendance kept track of anywhere?

Poll: Biggest signing so far in January? (just curious what Planet Swans thinks)

Liberty Attendance: the downward two-year trend in the Championship on 19:52 - Jan 20 with 3428 viewsNeath_Jack

The first season we still had the premier league hangers on, that will account for a large number. Crap football will put plenty off as well.

I want a mate like Flashberryjacks, who wears a Barnsley jersey with "Swans are my second team" on the back.
Poll: Would you support military action against Syria on what we know so far?

Liberty Attendance: the downward two-year trend in the Championship on 19:54 - Jan 20 with 3423 viewsJinxy

Many "fans" used the yanks as an excuse to not renew. If you only come to watch other teams, just say so and don't blame other factors eh.
[Post edited 20 Jan 2020 19:56]
Liberty Attendance: the downward two-year trend in the Championship on 19:55 - Jan 20 with 3420 viewsjasper_T

It's mostly the reason you've suggested but also the football has been dire to watch.

We were in a slightly worse position this time last year but on the whole it was more exciting as we had all these strange new players coming in and impressing.
Liberty Attendance: the downward two-year trend in the Championship on 19:56 - Jan 20 with 3414 viewsjack247

Yes, that is the cause. Plenty of people from the PL era (and before) didn’t renew at the end of last season. Said they would pick and choose their games, but when it comes to the crunch, find it harder to stay away than they thought. Quite a few didn’t renew and don’t turn up as often though. Can’t see much of a drop next season, those that weren’t in it for the long haul have already stopped going as much/at all.
Liberty Attendance: the downward two-year trend in the Championship on 20:00 - Jan 20 with 3391 viewspencoedjack

Those saying the football is dire whilst we sit in a play off position in the 2nd tier were you about when we were in the dungeon divisions?
Liberty Attendance: the downward two-year trend in the Championship on 20:02 - Jan 20 with 3379 viewsLuther27

I take it those figures also include traveling fans who have been piss poor in their support this season.
Liberty Attendance: the downward two-year trend in the Championship on 20:03 - Jan 20 with 3372 viewsjojaca

Premier League exposure has given us another 3k hard core fans. I also think attendances would be higher if the football was good on the eye. We have been dire for most of the home games this season.

Even when you know, you never know?

Liberty Attendance: the downward two-year trend in the Championship on 20:03 - Jan 20 with 3357 viewsNeath_Jack

Liberty Attendance: the downward two-year trend in the Championship on 20:00 - Jan 20 by pencoedjack

Those saying the football is dire whilst we sit in a play off position in the 2nd tier were you about when we were in the dungeon divisions?

I was yeah, and then some.

How long someone has followed this club has absolutely no bearing on how we are playing at the moment.

This is the worst championship we have ever played in, its shite.

I want a mate like Flashberryjacks, who wears a Barnsley jersey with "Swans are my second team" on the back.

Login to get fewer ads

Liberty Attendance: the downward two-year trend in the Championship on 20:05 - Jan 20 with 3350 viewsJinxy

Liberty Attendance: the downward two-year trend in the Championship on 19:55 - Jan 20 by jasper_T

It's mostly the reason you've suggested but also the football has been dire to watch.

We were in a slightly worse position this time last year but on the whole it was more exciting as we had all these strange new players coming in and impressing.

The contradiction though is that those who chose not to renew did so in potter's time, a period of improved playing style and promise. In my view, many didn't renew because imminent return to the PL was unlikely. Strangely, in that period I renewed immediately, but this season only renewed today (I'm less impressed with the playing style this year despite higher league position). Each to his/her own though, freedom of choice etc.. Just be honest about it I say.
Liberty Attendance: the downward two-year trend in the Championship on 20:08 - Jan 20 with 3327 viewsVetchfielder

The other thing is that, this season, I reckon the actual attendance is about 2000 less than the official attendance due to season ticket holders not bothering to turn up, whereas last season it might only have been a few hundred different. I can't remember the match (Millwall?) but I thought there were only about 9000 people there. It was OK for the last game though.
So I think the official figures are hiding the full extent of the issue.

Proud to have been one of the 231

Liberty Attendance: the downward two-year trend in the Championship on 20:09 - Jan 20 with 3327 viewspencoedjack

Liberty Attendance: the downward two-year trend in the Championship on 20:03 - Jan 20 by Neath_Jack

I was yeah, and then some.

How long someone has followed this club has absolutely no bearing on how we are playing at the moment.

This is the worst championship we have ever played in, its shite.

Not a dig fella just a question.

Although the football is not brilliant enjoying it more than the last 3 seasons in PL.
Liberty Attendance: the downward two-year trend in the Championship on 20:15 - Jan 20 with 3299 viewsJinxy

I enjoy Eastenders more than the last 3 years of the PL.
Liberty Attendance: the downward two-year trend in the Championship on 20:19 - Jan 20 with 3285 viewsbuilthjack

Many factors.
1. Premier League fans didn't renew last January
2. A lot don't trust the Yanks. I don't. (But still turn up to support the team)
3. Away support has dropped.
4. The football is poor.

What I would do is get the ambassadors or whatever they are called, into schools every day, into junior clubs , offering tickets at very low prices or even give them away, just to get bums on seats.
These kids are the future.

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Liberty Attendance: the downward two-year trend in the Championship on 20:24 - Jan 20 with 3256 viewsJinxy

Liberty Attendance: the downward two-year trend in the Championship on 20:19 - Jan 20 by builthjack

Many factors.
2. A lot don't trust the Yanks. I don't. (But still turn up to support the team)
4. The football is poor.

What I would do is get the ambassadors or whatever they are called, into schools every day, into junior clubs , offering tickets at very low prices or even give them away, just to get bums on seats.

Or just actively commit to a better playing style. It's pleasing on the eye, and will return results on moderate outlay, see before. That will pull the kids, and dads/mums in. It did before.
Liberty Attendance: the downward two-year trend in the Championship on 20:25 - Jan 20 with 3245 viewslondonlisa2001

In response to the OP.

Last year many renewed ‘just in case’ we stayed up. This year, that didn’t apply.

I also think we’ve suffered from our years in the PL with a model that (a) didn’t create a habit of ‘walk up’ attendances and (b) didn’t capitalise on creating ‘new’, younger fans in person (we may well have created many TV fans, but that’s not quite the same thing).
Liberty Attendance: the downward two-year trend in the Championship on 20:29 - Jan 20 with 3230 viewsEbo

Liberty Attendance: the downward two-year trend in the Championship on 20:05 - Jan 20 by Jinxy

The contradiction though is that those who chose not to renew did so in potter's time, a period of improved playing style and promise. In my view, many didn't renew because imminent return to the PL was unlikely. Strangely, in that period I renewed immediately, but this season only renewed today (I'm less impressed with the playing style this year despite higher league position). Each to his/her own though, freedom of choice etc.. Just be honest about it I say.

I stopped renewing in Clements last season. I have had a season ticket since Yorath took over in 1986. It was not an easy decision but I will not get another until Levien and Kaplan are gone.

Each to his own but that's my reason.

Thank you, goodnight and bollocks
Poll: What couldn't you live without?

Liberty Attendance: the downward two-year trend in the Championship on 20:30 - Jan 20 with 3220 viewsNeath_Jack

Liberty Attendance: the downward two-year trend in the Championship on 20:09 - Jan 20 by pencoedjack

Not a dig fella just a question.

Although the football is not brilliant enjoying it more than the last 3 seasons in PL.

Fair enough butt.

Liberty Attendance: the downward two-year trend in the Championship on 20:34 - Jan 20 with 3210 viewssainthelens

Liberty Attendance: the downward two-year trend in the Championship on 20:19 - Jan 20 by builthjack

Many factors.
4. The football is poor.

Excellent last point Builthy, I've always advocated that, but the marketing side of the club is crap.
Liberty Attendance: the downward two-year trend in the Championship on 20:37 - Jan 20 with 3198 viewsLuther27

Many factors.
4. The football is poor.

The missed opportunity was to lower season ticket prices.
Liberty Attendance: the downward two-year trend in the Championship on 20:38 - Jan 20 with 3191 viewsPozuelosSideys

Think its a mix of away fans in the Championsip having smaller followings, about 1500 less than the PL on average.

But we had a hell of a lot of plastics in the PL. My facebook wall is now full of Liverpool, Chelsea, Man Utd status updates and links etc from a good few of our "fans"who had season tickets for a big chunk of our PL time.

"Michu, Britton and Williams could have won 3-0 on their own. They wouldn't have required a keeper."
Poll: Hattricks

Liberty Attendance: the downward two-year trend in the Championship on 20:38 - Jan 20 with 3189 viewsbuilthjack

Liberty Attendance: the downward two-year trend in the Championship on 20:34 - Jan 20 by sainthelens

Excellent last point Builthy, I've always advocated that, but the marketing side of the club is crap.

The marketing is awful Saint.

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Liberty Attendance: the downward two-year trend in the Championship on 20:40 - Jan 20 with 3170 viewsPJackArmy

It doesn't help that since before Christmas nobody has been able to purchase tickets online, anybody who would want to then has to ring the ticket office because it doesn't work only for the ticket office phone to just ring and ring, joke club
Liberty Attendance: the downward two-year trend in the Championship on 20:43 - Jan 20 with 3155 viewsJinxy

Liberty Attendance: the downward two-year trend in the Championship on 20:29 - Jan 20 by Ebo

I stopped renewing in Clements last season. I have had a season ticket since Yorath took over in 1986. It was not an easy decision but I will not get another until Levien and Kaplan are gone.

Each to his own but that's my reason.

I respect your honesty.
[Post edited 20 Jan 2020 20:44]
Liberty Attendance: the downward two-year trend in the Championship on 20:49 - Jan 20 with 3109 viewssplJack

If we are still in with a good shout of the playoffs at the end of the season we should get some good crowds.
Our last 5 home games are all against teams likely to have something to play for with decent away followings.

Then we have Reading away last, so could get very interesting...
Liberty Attendance: the downward two-year trend in the Championship on 21:00 - Jan 20 with 3064 viewsNotLoyal

Liberty Attendance: the downward two-year trend in the Championship on 20:08 - Jan 20 by Vetchfielder

The other thing is that, this season, I reckon the actual attendance is about 2000 less than the official attendance due to season ticket holders not bothering to turn up, whereas last season it might only have been a few hundred different. I can't remember the match (Millwall?) but I thought there were only about 9000 people there. It was OK for the last game though.
So I think the official figures are hiding the full extent of the issue.

9,000?

OK I've changed it.
Poll: The FINALS : Poster of the year 2022

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024