Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ridiculous train fares!!! 09:39 - Jan 23 with 2300 viewsdickythorpe

That's over a month's rent for me!!!

https://www.edp24.co.uk/news/uea-lecturer-quoted-705-to-travel-from-norwich-to-s
Ridiculous train fares!!! on 09:42 - Jan 23 with 1787 viewsVincent_Vega

That's bonkers and they wonder why the roads are jammed?! Cheaper to fly to Orlando!

Boycott Shampoo......Demand Real Poo!!!

Ridiculous train fares!!! on 10:14 - Jan 23 with 1755 viewsLuther27

No doubt the Dick Turpins....not you Dicky....will counter with the usual bullshte that cheaper fares are available if you plan ahead blah blah blah. The fact is this fare does exist....and someone on expenses who doesn't give a toss will pay it. Corporate sharp practice.
Ridiculous train fares!!! on 10:36 - Jan 23 with 1731 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Ridiculous train fares!!! on 10:14 - Jan 23 by Luther27

No doubt the Dick Turpins....not you Dicky....will counter with the usual bullshte that cheaper fares are available if you plan ahead blah blah blah. The fact is this fare does exist....and someone on expenses who doesn't give a toss will pay it. Corporate sharp practice.

Standard return is £150 return so even for two people as quoted in article it would be £300 . Even less if he used the rail card he claims to have.

I guess he wanted to travel first class.

By the way I do a similar journey to Felixstowe to swansea 12 times a year which costs me £100 return first class using a rail card. £36 standard class return using rail card.

I fear for our students education if this senior lecturer cannot find a better fare than the £700 he claims.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

Ridiculous train fares!!! on 10:53 - Jan 23 with 1716 viewscontroversial_jack

Ridiculous train fares!!! on 10:36 - Jan 23 by felixstowe_jack

Standard return is £150 return so even for two people as quoted in article it would be £300 . Even less if he used the rail card he claims to have.

By the way I do a similar journey to Felixstowe to swansea 12 times a year which costs me £100 return first class using a rail card. £36 standard class return using rail card.

I fear for our students education if this senior lecturer cannot find a better fare than the £700 he claims.

I was going to post, that some smart arse will be along to say how it can be found cheaper
Ridiculous train fares!!! on 11:56 - Jan 23 with 1666 viewsCooperman

Split tickets are the way to go.

Llanelli to Paddington can be purchased for £80.
The sum of Llanelli to Swansea and Swansea to Paddington can be purchased for £60.

Poll: Your confectionery tub of choice

Ridiculous train fares!!! on 12:01 - Jan 23 with 1656 viewsFireboy2

Ridiculous train fares!!! on 11:56 - Jan 23 by Cooperman

The sum of Llanelli to Swansea and Swansea to Paddington can be purchased for £60.

This ^

I split my train tickets everytime i travel and it saves well over a third.

But it doesnt take away that its the prices for travelling on the same day is daylight robbery.
Ridiculous train fares!!! on 12:10 - Jan 23 with 1643 viewsCooperman

Ridiculous train fares!!! on 12:01 - Jan 23 by Fireboy2

This ^

But it doesnt take away that its the prices for travelling on the same day is daylight robbery.

And I hope your all aware of the loophole that allows you to claim refunds on journeys already made...

I’m not putting it up on here though.

Ridiculous train fares!!! on 12:13 - Jan 23 with 1639 viewscontroversial_jack

I just checked the prices , and to split the journeys as you stated is actually £6.20 more expensive
Login to get fewer ads

Ridiculous train fares!!! on 12:18 - Jan 23 with 1633 viewsHighjack

I’ve always enjoyed train journeys and would use the train wherever possible but at current prices I’ll just drive everywhere and I don’t give a shit if Greta and Meghan come after me.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Ridiculous train fares!!! on 13:18 - Jan 23 with 1587 viewsCooperman

Ridiculous train fares!!! on 12:13 - Jan 23 by controversial_jack

I just checked the prices , and to split the journeys as you stated is actually £6.20 more expensive

That may well be the case for the particular journeys that you selected.
Myself on the other hand have saved hundreds of pounds over the years by splitting tickets.

Ridiculous train fares!!! on 13:45 - Jan 23 with 1544 viewsHighjack

Ridiculous train fares!!! on 13:18 - Jan 23 by Cooperman

Myself on the other hand have saved hundreds of pounds over the years by splitting tickets.

You shouldn’t need to split the tickets. It should automatically offer you one price to go from A to B.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.

Ridiculous train fares!!! on 13:46 - Jan 23 with 1545 viewscontroversial_jack

Ridiculous train fares!!! on 13:18 - Jan 23 by Cooperman

It's for the specific journey that you stated. I'm sure you have, but I have never found it to be cheaper, unless it's specific days times or journeys. Rail travel though is very expensive in general
Ridiculous train fares!!! on 14:01 - Jan 23 with 1528 viewsCooperman

Ridiculous train fares!!! on 13:45 - Jan 23 by Highjack

You shouldn’t need to split the tickets. It should automatically offer you one price to go from A to B.

That's quite right but there has been a long running campaign to remove the intricacies of rail fares and it hasn't really made much progress.

Ridiculous train fares!!! on 14:03 - Jan 23 with 1522 viewsCooperman

Ridiculous train fares!!! on 13:46 - Jan 23 by controversial_jack

It's for the specific journey that you stated. I'm sure you have, but I have never found it to be cheaper, unless it's specific days times or journeys. Rail travel though is very expensive in general

In some cases it is certainly an expensive alternative. On the flip side I am quite happy to pay £50 for Llanelli to Paddington as it's probably cash neutral versus the alternative car journey. I would certainly not pay >£150 for the same journey.

Ridiculous train fares!!! on 14:07 - Jan 23 with 1513 viewsBatterseajack

Ridiculous train fares!!! on 10:36 - Jan 23 by felixstowe_jack

He's not travelling first class, the high cost is because he's setting off at 5:30am and travelling during rush hour for the entire journey.

He could set off later, but miss his appointment in swansea.

He could set off the day before, but he then have to factor in a hotel and potentially childcare arrangements.
Ridiculous train fares!!! on 16:27 - Jan 23 with 1439 viewsmonmouth

Yes but that should be totally transparent. it should be misselling if they don't quote only the cheapest fare...the c*nts.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Ridiculous train fares!!! on 16:55 - Jan 23 with 1415 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Ridiculous train fares!!! on 12:01 - Jan 23 by Fireboy2

This ^

This is what the majority voted for. Tw*ts

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Ridiculous train fares!!! on 17:38 - Jan 23 with 1381 viewsLuther27

Ridiculous train fares!!! on 13:45 - Jan 23 by Highjack

Exactly. That's the point I was trying to make. Does it really have to take legislation to make these thieving twunts give the general public straight forward up front costing of their journey?
Ridiculous train fares!!! on 17:43 - Jan 23 with 1367 viewsSPboy

Ridiculous train fares!!! on 16:55 - Jan 23 by Brynmill_Jack

This is what the majority voted for. Tw*ts

Whereas Transport for Wales is the shining light ?

The M4 in Wales absolutely shocking every week day at multiple locations as the Welsh government continue to procrastinate
Ridiculous train fares!!! on 17:56 - Jan 23 with 1343 viewsJack_Meoff

Ridiculous train fares!!! on 17:43 - Jan 23 by SPboy

Whereas Transport for Wales is the shining light ?

The M4 in Wales absolutely shocking every week day at multiple locations as the Welsh government continue to procrastinate

Not what he's saying is it? The subject is rail fares, and those that sold off the railways in the early 90s have just been voted back in.

The railway system in this country now benefits the coffers of the German, Dutch, Italian and French states. Not however, the British state, and certainly not those who paid for it and built it - the public via taxation.

It's theft; plain and simple. But we seem cool with this so expect more of the same.

If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face--forever.

Ridiculous train fares!!! on 07:43 - Jan 24 with 1213 viewstaffpunk

Train fares on the Valley lines have incredibly just gone down. A return to Cardiff from Ton Pentre is a pound cheaper, and at 7.60 is good value. Completely agree they're too expensive in general though.

Second Time Around Record Shop-Tonypandy, RCT-Open Friday and Saturday. Valley Leaflets-Reliable Leaflet Distribution throughout South Wales.

Ridiculous train fares!!! on 09:57 - Jan 24 with 1154 viewsHighjack

Ridiculous train fares!!! on 17:38 - Jan 23 by Luther27

Exactly. That's the point I was trying to make. Does it really have to take legislation to make these thieving twunts give the general public straight forward up front costing of their journey?

In an ideal world there should just be a flat rate, either by mile travelled or the amount of time you’re on the train. When the price of the exact same trip can fluctuate by hundreds of pounds, you’re literally slave to some imperfect algorithm.

Ridiculous train fares!!! on 10:14 - Jan 24 with 1146 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

Ridiculous train fares!!! on 09:57 - Jan 24 by Highjack

In an ideal world there should just be a flat rate, either by mile travelled or the amount of time you’re on the train. When the price of the exact same trip can fluctuate by hundreds of pounds, you’re literally slave to some imperfect algorithm.

Having worked in a couple of industries where there has been differential pricing I'm cynical enough to check my options on anything substantial that I buy.

For example I got quoted £300 and £140 recently to hire the same model car for the same number of days in the same city.

The internet is a good thing for getting wise to your options.

Besian Idrizaj Forever a Jack
Poll: When will Duff Revert to 4 at the Back

Ridiculous train fares!!! on 13:50 - Jan 24 with 1077 viewsLeonWasGod

Ridiculous train fares!!! on 14:07 - Jan 23 by Batterseajack

He's not travelling first class, the high cost is because he's setting off at 5:30am and travelling during rush hour for the entire journey.

He could set off later, but miss his appointment in swansea.

He could set off the day before, but he then have to factor in a hotel and potentially childcare arrangements.

I thought I smelt a rat, so I've just checked (as if I haven't got anything better to do).

Leaving 2 weeks today it'd cost £347.60* to go from Norwich to Swansea and back in a day, peak times. Standard economy fare. £347!

As you say, if you have to travel peak time you've no option. No wonder people drive.

(But drops to *£144 if you split the tickets).
[Post edited 24 Jan 2020 13:55]
Ridiculous train fares!!! on 16:17 - Jan 24 with 1022 viewsBatterseajack

Ridiculous train fares!!! on 13:50 - Jan 24 by LeonWasGod

I thought I smelt a rat, so I've just checked (as if I haven't got anything better to do).

Leaving 2 weeks today it'd cost £347.60* to go from Norwich to Swansea and back in a day, peak times. Standard economy fare. £347!

As you say, if you have to travel peak time you've no option. No wonder people drive.

(But drops to *£144 if you split the tickets).
[Post edited 24 Jan 2020 13:55]

Since i also have nothing better to do, first class would have been £600 per person for the same journey. And id that wasn't bad enough, its a 6 hour journey each way.

If he set off an hour later, it would be a more reasonable £120 per person.

And people say Planet Swans is boring these days...
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024