Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
A confederacy of dunces 11:23 - Jan 26 with 616 viewsdickythorpe

Anyone read this book?
A confederacy of dunces on 11:25 - Jan 26 with 613 viewsDarran

Is it about people of The Wirral?

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

A confederacy of dunces on 11:27 - Jan 26 with 610 viewsexiledclaseboy

The alternative title is “A History of Planet Swans”.

Poll: Tory leader

A confederacy of dunces on 11:29 - Jan 26 with 599 viewsNotLoyal

The sequel is being written as we speak by the stoke sentinel.

OK I've changed it.
Poll: The FINALS : Poster of the year 2022

A confederacy of dunces on 12:25 - Jan 26 with 560 viewsGreatBritton

Yeah. Me. Not too many others though, I guess. Toole committed suicide because he thought no one would ever recognise his genius. I recognised it, bit it was too late for me to tell him. It's a brilliant book. Title is a line from Pope.
A confederacy of dunces on 13:23 - Jan 26 with 521 viewsLohengrin

A confederacy of dunces on 12:25 - Jan 26 by GreatBritton

Yeah. Me. Not too many others though, I guess. Toole committed suicide because he thought no one would ever recognise his genius. I recognised it, bit it was too late for me to tell him. It's a brilliant book. Title is a line from Pope.

The title is paraphrasing Swift, surely?

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

A confederacy of dunces on 14:51 - Jan 26 with 475 viewslondonlisa2001

A confederacy of dunces on 12:25 - Jan 26 by GreatBritton

Swift.
A confederacy of dunces on 14:52 - Jan 26 with 474 viewslondonlisa2001

A confederacy of dunces on 13:23 - Jan 26 by Lohengrin

Sorry Loh. Didn’t see this before I replied...
A confederacy of dunces on 15:13 - Jan 26 with 446 viewsHighjack

A confederacy of dunces on 13:23 - Jan 26 by Lohengrin

Haters gonna hate.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Login to get fewer ads

A confederacy of dunces on 16:57 - Jan 26 with 403 viewsLohengrin

A confederacy of dunces on 15:13 - Jan 26 by Highjack

Haters gonna hate.

A confederacy of dunces on 17:07 - Jan 26 with 397 viewsLohengrin

A confederacy of dunces on 14:52 - Jan 26 by londonlisa2001

Sorry Loh. Didn’t see this before I replied...

No need to apologise, mun. I rather suspect GB knows full well that it was Swift, he just threw out a bait line laughing that Warwick, you or I would jump to nibble. Still nice to see Alexander Pope get a mention mind, probably his first on the site?

Have you read the book, love? I actually bought and read it in New Orleans back in the ‘80s which wouldn’t have been too many years after publication. It was a useful, seedy guide to the Crescent City as I traipsed around trying, with varying degrees of success, to pass for a twenty one year old and get into the dive bars.

A confederacy of dunces on 18:58 - Jan 26 with 357 viewslondonlisa2001

A confederacy of dunces on 17:07 - Jan 26 by Lohengrin

No need to apologise, mun. I rather suspect GB knows full well that it was Swift, he just threw out a bait line laughing that Warwick, you or I would jump to nibble. Still nice to see Alexander Pope get a mention mind, probably his first on the site?

Have you read the book, love? I actually bought and read it in New Orleans back in the ‘80s which wouldn’t have been too many years after publication. It was a useful, seedy guide to the Crescent City as I traipsed around trying, with varying degrees of success, to pass for a twenty one year old and get into the dive bars.

I haven’t read it, but years ago, I saw a performance of it in one of those theatres above a pub somewhere in either Chiswick or Notting Hill. Can’t remember who was in it now, but from memory it was a one or two man show rather than a full adaptation. It must have been 25 or 30 years ago though. I was reminded of it recently when some list of ‘100 books you should read’ type thing came out and it was on there, but until this thread I forgot all about it again.

I was more recently reminded of Pope as I had a drink in the Mawson Arms in Chiswick (the pub next door to the Fullers brewery) which used to be his house...
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024