Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Wales has, for as long as anyone can remember, been a rugby nation. 23:37 - Jan 26 with 2259 viewscentrestandswan

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-51192459

Any thoughts ?

Poll: Will we be relegated ?

Wales has, for as long as anyone can remember, been a rugby nation. on 21:13 - Jan 27 with 574 viewssherpajacob

Wales has, for as long as anyone can remember, been a rugby nation. on 20:07 - Jan 27 by jack247

It pretty much is an American term.

They abbreviated the ‘socia’ out of association football and adopted it because they already have a game they call football. Ok, a minority here have adopted the term too, but it’s very rare to hear British people with a genuine interest in the game call it anything other than football.

Complete nonsense.

Soccer as an American term is a complete myth and a re writing of history.

Some of us know the difference between SC&FC and SCAFC and which is which.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/King-of-Soccer-by-John-Charles-1957-Football-Book-Lee

[Post edited 27 Jan 2020 21:30]

Poll: Your favourite ever Swans shirt sponsor?

Wales has, for as long as anyone can remember, been a rugby nation. on 21:42 - Jan 27 with 539 viewsjack247

Wales has, for as long as anyone can remember, been a rugby nation. on 21:13 - Jan 27 by sherpajacob

Complete nonsense.

Soccer as an American term is a complete myth and a re writing of history.

Some of us know the difference between SC&FC and SCAFC and which is which.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/King-of-Soccer-by-John-Charles-1957-Football-Book-Lee

[Post edited 27 Jan 2020 21:30]

It’s not a rewriting of history. It’s a bastardisation of the long name for football. Quite handy in places like America and Australia where they’ve got their own versions of football.

https://www.britannica.com/story/why-do-some-people-call-football-soccer

You’ve had to go back what 25 years? to find a tv programme with soccer in the title and let’s be fair, if it was shown on a Friday, I highly doubt it would have been called soccer Friday. The e-bay link won’t open, but I’m assuming from it’s title you’ve had to go back to 1957.

If you want to call football soccer, crack on. You’ll be in the company of rugby loving PE teachers.
Wales has, for as long as anyone can remember, been a rugby nation. on 21:48 - Jan 27 with 528 viewssherpajacob

Wales has, for as long as anyone can remember, been a rugby nation. on 21:42 - Jan 27 by jack247

It’s not a rewriting of history. It’s a bastardisation of the long name for football. Quite handy in places like America and Australia where they’ve got their own versions of football.

https://www.britannica.com/story/why-do-some-people-call-football-soccer

You’ve had to go back what 25 years? to find a tv programme with soccer in the title and let’s be fair, if it was shown on a Friday, I highly doubt it would have been called soccer Friday. The e-bay link won’t open, but I’m assuming from it’s title you’ve had to go back to 1957.

If you want to call football soccer, crack on. You’ll be in the company of rugby loving PE teachers.

From your own link

"Because the sport originated in England, it is often assumed that soccer is an Americanism. In fact, the word is thoroughly British in origin"

.what's the name of that show still on sky sports on Saturday mornings?

[Post edited 27 Jan 2020 21:50]

Poll: Your favourite ever Swans shirt sponsor?

Wales has, for as long as anyone can remember, been a rugby nation. on 21:55 - Jan 27 with 517 viewsjackrabbit

Why not just enjoy both sports? There’s no extra charge. I’m looking forward to Wales v Italy followed by Preston v Swans–if I can get a stream. Super Saturday!

Bring it on.
[Post edited 27 Jan 2020 22:00]
Wales has, for as long as anyone can remember, been a rugby nation. on 22:29 - Jan 27 with 491 viewsjack247

Wales has, for as long as anyone can remember, been a rugby nation. on 21:48 - Jan 27 by sherpajacob

From your own link

"Because the sport originated in England, it is often assumed that soccer is an Americanism. In fact, the word is thoroughly British in origin"

I know. I’m not talking about it’s origins. I’m talking about who calls it soccer today. First line from the same link ‘One of the best known differences between British and American English is the fact that the sport known as football is usually called soccer in the United States’.

I doubt there is anyone on here who doesn’t know where the term originated from. I also doubt there is anyone (from Swansea) on here, who doesn’t call it football. Present company excluded.

If you want, you can list all the tv shows with soccer in the title and I’ll do the same with football. Be a bit tedious though. You crack on calling it whatever you like. People will know what you mean, just like they will if you call a pavement a sidewalk.
Wales has, for as long as anyone can remember, been a rugby nation. on 22:37 - Jan 27 with 481 viewsbuilthjack

Wales has, for as long as anyone can remember, been a rugby nation. on 21:55 - Jan 27 by jackrabbit

Why not just enjoy both sports? There’s no extra charge. I’m looking forward to Wales v Italy followed by Preston v Swans–if I can get a stream. Super Saturday!

Bring it on.
[Post edited 27 Jan 2020 22:00]

Shame they don't play different teams though. There should be promotion and relegation, not a closed shop.

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Wales has, for as long as anyone can remember, been a rugby nation. on 22:49 - Jan 27 with 475 viewsAndyconky

Really? How does that work?

Blog: Are we any better than other supporters ?

Wales has, for as long as anyone can remember, been a rugby nation. on 15:09 - Jan 28 with 406 viewsowainglyndwr

Wales has, for as long as anyone can remember, been a rugby nation. on 00:11 - Jan 27 by Badlands

Another hangover from English imperialism.
State Grammar schools in Wales sucked up to the English inspectors and departments for education by trying to emulate their semi-private and private schools - hence rugby.
Football was always the game of the people.
Rugby is a great game though.
Neath is the oldest club in Wales 1871 but it was played in Lampeter College from 1850.
The first football club in Wales was a Wrexham side formed in 1864 (7 years before Neath Rugby) Newtown the oldest existing club, 1875.
FAW formed 1876
Welsh Football Union (Rugby) was formed in 1881 and became the WFU in 1934.
So most respects football was an earlier settler in Wales.

Am I right in thinking that Swansea football club was the oldest or one of them but originally played at Saint Helens but then changed codes to Rugby.
I'm sure I read or heard about this some years back
Login to get fewer ads

Wales has, for as long as anyone can remember, been a rugby nation. on 15:33 - Jan 28 with 390 viewsJacket

Wales has, for as long as anyone can remember, been a rugby nation. on 21:48 - Jan 27 by sherpajacob

From your own link

It's clearly of English toff origin, similar to equally ridiculous words like ruger, but has long since been adopted by the Yanks and rugby folk who use it almost as a derogatory term. I've heard very few football supporters use the term. The fact it's used in the od TV programme does not change this.
Wales has, for as long as anyone can remember, been a rugby nation. on 15:58 - Jan 28 with 385 viewsJacket

Wales has, for as long as anyone can remember, been a rugby nation. on 15:09 - Jan 28 by owainglyndwr

Am I right in thinking that Swansea football club was the oldest or one of them but originally played at Saint Helens but then changed codes to Rugby.

I think that despite being known as Swansea Football Club they were to all intents and purposes a Rugby club. For some bizarre reason people in that era saw Rugby and Soccer as two different codes of the same sport. I know, it makes no sense but the rules of rugby would have been very different back then as would the way football was played. I'm sure I read somewhere (probably in The Red Dragons by Phil Stead) that teams from north Wales would arrange fixtures with the likes of Swansea Football Club and find on arrival that yes, they would play Football, but not the football they were expecting, rather the Rugby variety, even at times playing one half of rugby and one half of soccer. Kicking would have been more a part of rugby back then though, with a conversion giving you more points than a try.
Wales has, for as long as anyone can remember, been a rugby nation. on 16:07 - Jan 28 with 380 viewsSwanDownUnder

Wales has, for as long as anyone can remember, been a rugby nation. on 13:06 - Jan 27 by Jacket

The only measure where rugby outperforms football in Wales is attendances at internationals and the amount that go on the piss on these weekends. And the simple reason is that success is far easier when you only have a handful of countries playing rugby at any level. People like success and people like big piss ups - Rugby gives ten big piss ups a year and a healthy level of success, and 42 weeks then to not take any interest whatsoever in the sport.

Thread over.

Also police love a rugby piss-up, we can't even have a can on the train.
Wales has, for as long as anyone can remember, been a rugby nation. on 16:53 - Jan 28 with 364 viewsBadlands

Wales has, for as long as anyone can remember, been a rugby nation. on 15:09 - Jan 28 by owainglyndwr

Not sure, but wouldn't be surprised as sports clubs often formed for multiple sport.
There could also be a confusion as what we now call rugby was, until the 1930s, simply called football.
Reports of 'Swansea and district football league' in 1884 refer to rugby.
I'm sure there are more knowledgable fans out there to correct anything I've found but The Vetch area was home to the Gas Works footballers from the Victorian period and taken over by the newly formed Swansea Town in 1912.
But, as there is a reference to Swansea in the inaugural Welsh Cup of 1878 and Wales played Ireland at St Helens in 1884.
South Wales Leagues existed locally but The South Wales League sparodically from 1890,. Swansea doesn't feature until the season 1898.
'There were 19 clubs entered, but two of them, the 23rd Welsh Fusiliers and the Swansea scratched,'
So a team representing the town had formed by then but no mention of where they played.

1898 reports 'Association Football - Progress of the game in South Wales.
The establishment of the league has made the "Socker" code more prominent in South Wales this last season."
(Evening Express)
A brief look through old maps only show St Helens as a sports ground in Swansea until the Vaeth appears in 1912 ... but there must have been some.

Poll: Should the summer transfer window close before the season starts?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024