Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Wales has, for as long as anyone can remember, been a rugby nation. 23:37 - Jan 26 with 2264 viewscentrestandswan

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-51192459

Any thoughts ?

Poll: Will we be relegated ?

Wales has, for as long as anyone can remember, been a rugby nation. on 00:11 - Jan 27 with 1644 viewsBadlands

Another hangover from English imperialism.
State Grammar schools in Wales sucked up to the English inspectors and departments for education by trying to emulate their semi-private and private schools - hence rugby.
Football was always the game of the people.
Rugby is a great game though.
Neath is the oldest club in Wales 1871 but it was played in Lampeter College from 1850.
The first football club in Wales was a Wrexham side formed in 1864 (7 years before Neath Rugby) Newtown the oldest existing club, 1875.
FAW formed 1876
Welsh Football Union (Rugby) was formed in 1881 and became the WFU in 1934.
So most respects football was an earlier settler in Wales.

Poll: Should the summer transfer window close before the season starts?

Wales has, for as long as anyone can remember, been a rugby nation. on 06:36 - Jan 27 with 1535 viewsDr_Winston

Spectator and participant levels all higher for football and have been for as long as I'm aware of. A couple of pissups every year and immense BBC hype about one of the few sports they still have the rights to does not a national sport make.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Wales has, for as long as anyone can remember, been a rugby nation. on 07:47 - Jan 27 with 1456 viewsdickythorpe

It the standard and quality of the clubs though.

At the top level of football there is no representation of Wales in the Premier League.

In rugby there are 4 regions in the PRO14. Then the European cup only saw 1 region compete this season, the Ospreys.

At international level Wales are punching above their weight in football, but in rugby the quality outside the top 6 or 7 is questionable....Scotland are 9th in the world rankings but you won't see them lifting the grand slam this season I can tell you.

Too many in both sports overhype the level they play at below championshp level.
It should be about fun and development of younger players. Too often it's all about supplementing your wage from the working week, although many can't play due to work. The Mon -fri 9-5 era has long gone, so less participate.
Wales has, for as long as anyone can remember, been a rugby nation. on 08:21 - Jan 27 with 1429 viewslifelong

No mention in that article about the strength of Welsh football at schoolboy level, particularly in Swansea, in the 1930’s and 50’s.
In 1939 a crowd of 20,000 at the Vetch saw Swansea schoolboys lift the English schoolboy shield, this was repeated on 3 occasions in the 1950’s.
https://swans100.com/history/swansea-schoolboys-in-the-1930s/
Wales has, for as long as anyone can remember, been a rugby nation. on 09:45 - Jan 27 with 1357 viewsBarrySwan

Its a little known fact that Newport Gwent Dragons have never won a game since their formation in 2003.
Wales has, for as long as anyone can remember, been a rugby nation. on 10:02 - Jan 27 with 1329 viewsjack247

You can make quite convincing arguments for either being the national sport. Football is the more popular game week in week out by a mile. At the same tome, nothing brings the Southern half of the country together like the 6 nations. Euro 2016 was close, hopefully 2020 will be as well.

If I was pushed I’d say football. I’d imagine most people in Wales would disagree.

I don’t know what rugby can really do, but it’s really failed to exploit the national teams popularity.
Wales has, for as long as anyone can remember, been a rugby nation. on 10:08 - Jan 27 with 1325 viewsVincent_Vega

You can tell the article was written by a rugby person when it refers to football as 'soccer'

Boycott Shampoo......Demand Real Poo!!!

Wales has, for as long as anyone can remember, been a rugby nation. on 11:33 - Jan 27 with 1258 viewsNotLoyal

More people watch and play football in Wales than rugby, simple.
living in the past.

OK I've changed it.
Poll: The FINALS : Poster of the year 2022

Login to get fewer ads

Wales has, for as long as anyone can remember, been a rugby nation. on 13:06 - Jan 27 with 1183 viewsJacket

The only measure where rugby outperforms football in Wales is attendances at internationals and the amount that go on the piss on these weekends. And the simple reason is that success is far easier when you only have a handful of countries playing rugby at any level. People like success and people like big piss ups - Rugby gives ten big piss ups a year and a healthy level of success, and 42 weeks then to not take any interest whatsoever in the sport.
Wales has, for as long as anyone can remember, been a rugby nation. on 13:17 - Jan 27 with 1163 viewsOldjack

Only when the national team is playing , everyone wants a bit of that action it seems .Club rugby is very poorly supported .

Prosser the Tosser dwells on Phil's bum hole like a rusty old hemorrhoid ,fact You Greedy Bastards Get Out Of OUR Club!

Wales has, for as long as anyone can remember, been a rugby nation. on 16:18 - Jan 27 with 1047 viewssherpajacob

Wales has, for as long as anyone can remember, been a rugby nation. on 10:08 - Jan 27 by Vincent_Vega

You can tell the article was written by a rugby person when it refers to football as 'soccer'

Soccer is a perfectly acceptable abbreviation of Association Football, for those that know their soccer history.

Poll: Your favourite ever Swans shirt sponsor?

Wales has, for as long as anyone can remember, been a rugby nation. on 16:48 - Jan 27 with 1026 viewsVincent_Vega

Wales has, for as long as anyone can remember, been a rugby nation. on 16:18 - Jan 27 by sherpajacob

Soccer is a perfectly acceptable abbreviation of Association Football, for those that know their soccer history.

Oh la de da.

*currently searching all over for a fcuk to give, no luck so far..

Boycott Shampoo......Demand Real Poo!!!

Wales has, for as long as anyone can remember, been a rugby nation. on 17:57 - Jan 27 with 965 viewsMrSwerve

Domestic - football

International - rugby

Poll: Decision day - who wins the PL title?

Wales has, for as long as anyone can remember, been a rugby nation. on 18:02 - Jan 27 with 958 viewsBillyChong

6 nations tickets should be based on loyalty points earned from watching club/regional rugby. That’ll filter out the once a year daffodil heads and increase crowds at club level.
Wales has, for as long as anyone can remember, been a rugby nation. on 18:09 - Jan 27 with 941 viewsbuilthjack

Wales has, for as long as anyone can remember, been a rugby nation. on 18:02 - Jan 27 by BillyChong

6 nations tickets should be based on loyalty points earned from watching club/regional rugby. That’ll filter out the once a year daffodil heads and increase crowds at club level.

But a lot of people simply can't afford International tickets. Hence why a lot of tickets go to pi££heads who never ever watch a club or regional match. They don't even know the rules. Just there for the pi££ up.

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Wales has, for as long as anyone can remember, been a rugby nation. on 18:13 - Jan 27 with 926 viewsHighjack

Wales has, for as long as anyone can remember, been a rugby nation. on 16:18 - Jan 27 by sherpajacob

But it’s a completely archaic term that nobody ever uses. It’s only ever really used in a derogatory tone. Hardly anybody in this country calls it association football or soccer any more than people go to the crucible to watch Ronnie O’Sullivan play billiards.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Wales has, for as long as anyone can remember, been a rugby nation. on 18:14 - Jan 27 with 929 viewstaffpunk

Wales has, for as long as anyone can remember, been a rugby nation. on 13:17 - Jan 27 by Oldjack

Only when the national team is playing , everyone wants a bit of that action it seems .Club rugby is very poorly supported .

Local Club Rugby in the Valleys is still well supported, local Football is sadly not.

Second Time Around Record Shop-Tonypandy, RCT-Open Friday and Saturday. Valley Leaflets-Reliable Leaflet Distribution throughout South Wales.

Wales has, for as long as anyone can remember, been a rugby nation. on 18:33 - Jan 27 with 899 viewsdickythorpe

Wales has, for as long as anyone can remember, been a rugby nation. on 11:33 - Jan 27 by NotLoyal

More people watch and play football in Wales than rugby, simple.
living in the past.

Probably true but look at the standard of some of the matches.
60 year olds playing in both sports for some teams
Wales has, for as long as anyone can remember, been a rugby nation. on 18:40 - Jan 27 with 894 viewsJackfath

Wales has, for as long as anyone can remember, been a rugby nation. on 13:17 - Jan 27 by Oldjack

You mean regional rugby, surely? Club rugby is well supported at grass roots level you crusty kegged old goat.

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.
Poll: Should Darran's ban be lifted?

Wales has, for as long as anyone can remember, been a rugby nation. on 19:03 - Jan 27 with 876 viewsOldjack

Wales has, for as long as anyone can remember, been a rugby nation. on 18:40 - Jan 27 by Jackfath

You mean regional rugby, surely? Club rugby is well supported at grass roots level you crusty kegged old goat.

one man and his dog is it ,tomato head

Prosser the Tosser dwells on Phil's bum hole like a rusty old hemorrhoid ,fact You Greedy Bastards Get Out Of OUR Club!

Wales has, for as long as anyone can remember, been a rugby nation. on 19:44 - Jan 27 with 826 viewsBadlands

Until 1934 Rugby was governed by the 'Welsh Football Union' and from what I remember my old man (born Hafod 1910s) always called association football 'soccer' and rugby 'rugger' i'e' the games were soccer and rugger.

Poll: Should the summer transfer window close before the season starts?

Wales has, for as long as anyone can remember, been a rugby nation. on 19:55 - Jan 27 with 806 viewsCatullus

Wales has, for as long as anyone can remember, been a rugby nation. on 18:40 - Jan 27 by Jackfath

At Skewens last game there were about 100-120 there I reckon.....I was walking past with my dog.
Mumbles used to get a few hundred regularly. That's all I've got!

This is probably just me but I think more committed football fans also go to rugby than vice versa. I know several football fans who also go to the Ospreys (I used to go to the Whites now and then and have had a season for the Ospreys a couple of times) but none of my egg chasing friends ever go to the Swans.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Wales has, for as long as anyone can remember, been a rugby nation. on 20:01 - Jan 27 with 796 viewssherpajacob

Wales has, for as long as anyone can remember, been a rugby nation. on 18:13 - Jan 27 by Highjack

But it’s a completely archaic term that nobody ever uses. It’s only ever really used in a derogatory tone. Hardly anybody in this country calls it association football or soccer any more than people go to the crucible to watch Ronnie O’Sullivan play billiards.

It's only become derogatory because people mistakenly think it's an American term.

The lambasting of the word soccer is a rewriting of history that started about the same time as 1992/93 was reclassified as year zero, with Tim Lovejoy and Helen Chamberlain as Adam and Eve.

P.S. Billiards and Snooker are different sports.
[Post edited 27 Jan 2020 20:02]

Poll: Your favourite ever Swans shirt sponsor?

Wales has, for as long as anyone can remember, been a rugby nation. on 20:07 - Jan 27 with 780 viewsjack247

Wales has, for as long as anyone can remember, been a rugby nation. on 20:01 - Jan 27 by sherpajacob

It's only become derogatory because people mistakenly think it's an American term.

The lambasting of the word soccer is a rewriting of history that started about the same time as 1992/93 was reclassified as year zero, with Tim Lovejoy and Helen Chamberlain as Adam and Eve.

It pretty much is an American term.

They abbreviated the ‘socia’ out of association football and adopted it because they already have a game they call football. Ok, a minority here have adopted the term too, but it’s very rare to hear British people with a genuine interest in the game call it anything other than football.
Wales has, for as long as anyone can remember, been a rugby nation. on 20:54 - Jan 27 with 748 viewsHighjack

Wales has, for as long as anyone can remember, been a rugby nation. on 20:01 - Jan 27 by sherpajacob

They aren’t different sports. Billiards is the umbrella term for all cue games. Snooker is a form of billiards, as is pool. There’s loads of different types, the game with the pegs, the one where there’s no pockets. But it’s an archaic name that nobody ever uses anymore. Same as association football. Literally nobody says “did you see the association football last night?”

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024