Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Israel Folau / Margaret Court 21:23 - Jan 29 with 4785 viewsunion_jack

Freedom of speech

Or

Inciting hate and intolerance?

Gareth Thomas has put his foot down and said he won’t watch Folau again.

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

Israel Folau / Margaret Court on 21:24 - Jan 29 with 2277 viewsexiledclaseboy

They’re entitled to their views and to express them. Others are equally as entitled to react to them in whatever way they see fit.

Poll: Tory leader

Israel Folau / Margaret Court on 05:47 - Jan 30 with 2216 viewspremierjack

I wondered how long it would take Gareth Thomas to make it about himself.
Israel Folau / Margaret Court on 07:26 - Jan 30 with 2172 viewsjack247

Israel Folau / Margaret Court on 05:47 - Jan 30 by premierjack

I wondered how long it would take Gareth Thomas to make it about himself.

I’m not much of a Gareth Thomas fan, but I think he’s got a point here.
Israel Folau / Margaret Court on 07:54 - Jan 30 with 2150 viewsPegojack

Let's not get sidetracked down the Gareth Thomas route.

The two people concerned are plonkers who should be called out at every opportunity. It's time to stand up to the peddlars of hate all across the world. Here in Spain too, where we have our own brand of Nazis called Vox.
Israel Folau / Margaret Court on 08:19 - Jan 30 with 2133 viewsLohengrin

Israel Folau / Margaret Court on 21:24 - Jan 29 by exiledclaseboy

They’re entitled to their views and to express them. Others are equally as entitled to react to them in whatever way they see fit.

I’ve always been fundamentally opposed to putting limits on freedom of expression, not so with reaction, that has to be finite of necessity. Viewed in a certain light what you have just written could be viewed as an assassin’s mandate.

Don’t agree with what someone says then construct a counter-argument. If you hear what you perceive to be nonsense just laugh. It’s what we do on here and it works pretty well.

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Israel Folau / Margaret Court on 08:21 - Jan 30 with 2131 viewsFireboy2

They are both a fvcking djsgrace but i am more angry with the RFL and SL for allowing catalan to sign him.

They are agreeing with his views imo.
Israel Folau / Margaret Court on 08:22 - Jan 30 with 2129 viewsPegojack

Israel Folau / Margaret Court on 08:19 - Jan 30 by Lohengrin

I’ve always been fundamentally opposed to putting limits on freedom of expression, not so with reaction, that has to be finite of necessity. Viewed in a certain light what you have just written could be viewed as an assassin’s mandate.

Don’t agree with what someone says then construct a counter-argument. If you hear what you perceive to be nonsense just laugh. It’s what we do on here and it works pretty well.

Well said. Noone's advocating violence, just put the opposite point of view relentlessly.
Israel Folau / Margaret Court on 08:24 - Jan 30 with 2128 viewsLohengrin

Israel Folau / Margaret Court on 08:21 - Jan 30 by Fireboy2

They are both a fvcking djsgrace but i am more angry with the RFL and SL for allowing catalan to sign him.

You want to see somebody denied the opportunity to make a living and meet his obligations because you disagree with an opinion he holds?

That’s the Left view on tolerance in action, is it?

Login to get fewer ads

Israel Folau / Margaret Court on 09:11 - Jan 30 with 2082 viewsFireboy2

Israel Folau / Margaret Court on 08:24 - Jan 30 by Lohengrin

You want to see somebody denied the opportunity to make a living and meet his obligations because you disagree with an opinion he holds?

That’s the Left view on tolerance in action, is it?

Left view?

His view is that Keegan Hirst should ' burn in hell'

You think thats a good view?

I wonder if he would say it to his face?

And to answer your question, he should work for his church, they are one of very few organisations who would employ him for his attitude towards gay people, apart from catalans.
Israel Folau / Margaret Court on 09:32 - Jan 30 with 2056 viewsfelixstowe_jack

It seems it is okay for rugby and football clubs to employ convicted criminals, drink drivers, and drug users but not okay to employ someone who is not PC.
You may not agree with his views but freedom of views has not stopped by the thought police.

The world is full of hypocrisy.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

Israel Folau / Margaret Court on 09:42 - Jan 30 with 2051 viewsDarran

Israel Folau / Margaret Court on 09:32 - Jan 30 by felixstowe_jack

It seems it is okay for rugby and football clubs to employ convicted criminals, drink drivers, and drug users but not okay to employ someone who is not PC.
You may not agree with his views but freedom of views has not stopped by the thought police.

The world is full of hypocrisy.

Fair point.
There wasn’t this much outcry when Ben Stokes made fun of someone’s disabled eyes last week.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Israel Folau / Margaret Court on 10:04 - Jan 30 with 2027 viewsLohengrin

Israel Folau / Margaret Court on 09:11 - Jan 30 by Fireboy2

Left view?

His view is that Keegan Hirst should ' burn in hell'

You think thats a good view?

I wonder if he would say it to his face?

And to answer your question, he should work for his church, they are one of very few organisations who would employ him for his attitude towards gay people, apart from catalans.

I doubt he even knows who Hirst is, I just had to look him up.

This whole business has been hijacked and politicised with obvious calculation. What is this ‘crime’ Folau has committed anyway? He posted something on social media along the lines of adulterers, liars, usurers and homosexuals having to repent if they want entry to The Kingdom or they are bound for Hell. That’s all pretty standard Biblical fayre. I can remember people walking around town with their ‘wages of sin’ sandwich boards when I was a kid. It’s not some sort of lightning bolt all his own he’s thrown it’s not even remotely exceptional. I’d have to assume that the others listed were too busy to take offence but the gay lobby must have thought it was heyday for headlines!

How many Christians is it you’d like to see sacked for professing their faith anyway? All two billion or so, or just those who make a living through sport?

Israel Folau / Margaret Court on 10:10 - Jan 30 with 2012 viewsKGriz16

Israel Folau / Margaret Court on 08:21 - Jan 30 by Fireboy2

Well, no they are not agreeing with his views. They're allowing a professional to ply his trade.
Israel Folau / Margaret Court on 10:16 - Jan 30 with 2005 viewsDarran

Israel Folau / Margaret Court on 10:04 - Jan 30 by Lohengrin

This whole business has been hijacked and politicised with obvious calculation. What is this ‘crime’ Folau has committed anyway? He posted something on social media along the lines of adulterers, liars, usurers and homosexuals having to repent if they want entry to The Kingdom or they are bound for Hell. That’s all pretty standard Biblical fayre. I can remember people walking around town with their ‘wages of sin’ sandwich boards when I was a kid. It’s not some sort of lightning bolt all his own he’s thrown it’s not even remotely exceptional. I’d have to assume that the others listed were too busy to take offence but the gay lobby must have thought it was heyday for headlines!

How many Christians is it you’d like to see sacked for professing their faith anyway? All two billion or so, or just those who make a living through sport?

Don’t talk about same sex marriage to school kids in Birmingham though. lol

Israel Folau / Margaret Court on 10:32 - Jan 30 with 1995 viewsDarran

Israel Folau / Margaret Court on 10:10 - Jan 30 by KGriz16

Well, no they are not agreeing with his views. They're allowing a professional to ply his trade.

And then Alastair Stewart loses his job for quoting Shakespeare.

Israel Folau / Margaret Court on 10:44 - Jan 30 with 1983 viewsFireboy2

Israel Folau / Margaret Court on 10:10 - Jan 30 by KGriz16

By doing that they are.
Israel Folau / Margaret Court on 11:34 - Jan 30 with 1941 viewsJackSomething

As ECB said, he has a right to say whatever he wants. But equally people have the right to react how they want to what he says. He's also said it more than once.

What he's saying is intolerant to a section of society. His profession is one where he has a strong public presence and his words reach a far larger amount of people than Dai Jones in the tax office. His (very high) wages are paid because people pay to watch him and his team play rugby. If a large amount of people are going to be angered/dismayed by his intolerant views and that is going to affect his employer financially, then of course he runs the risk of losing his job.

Rugby clubs will talk about how welcoming they are to all sections of society, all in pursuit of more money of course. Bit hard for his new club to claim that while employing someone who believes that a percentage of their fans are sinners going to hell.

I know you wish the world was as it was when you were a child, but thankfully it's moved on and what was acceptable then is not acceptable now.
[Post edited 30 Jan 2020 11:36]

You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help.

Israel Folau / Margaret Court on 11:37 - Jan 30 with 1933 viewsunion_jack

Israel Folau / Margaret Court on 21:24 - Jan 29 by exiledclaseboy

I know this isn’t the case BUT if this was racist rather than homophobic would your views be the same?

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

Israel Folau / Margaret Court on 12:10 - Jan 30 with 1901 viewslondonlisa2001

He stated that the Australian bush fires were a direct result of the legalisation of same sex marriage in Australia.

You’ll have to point out which part of the Christian faith that is.

Margaret Court said that apartheid South Africa was the best way of dealing with race there is. Again, which part of the Christian faith is that an expression of?

People using ‘Christianity’ as an excuse for their bigotry and hatred are as far removed from faith as it’s possible to be.

He has a right to think what he wants. He has a limited right to say what he wants as no one can veer into hate speech which could encourage violence or discrimination against others.

In this case, he has, of course, parked his unwavering ‘faith’ and ‘principles’ which he previously declared to be the only things he cared about, and signed a contract which agrees that he will shut the f*** up about his views, or will be sacked. So it seems that his ‘faith’ has a price. Funny that.

The reaction of Wigan is to be applauded.
Israel Folau / Margaret Court on 12:24 - Jan 30 with 1884 viewsDarran

Israel Folau / Margaret Court on 12:10 - Jan 30 by londonlisa2001

He stated that the Australian bush fires were a direct result of the legalisation of same sex marriage in Australia.

You’ll have to point out which part of the Christian faith that is.

Margaret Court said that apartheid South Africa was the best way of dealing with race there is. Again, which part of the Christian faith is that an expression of?

People using ‘Christianity’ as an excuse for their bigotry and hatred are as far removed from faith as it’s possible to be.

He has a right to think what he wants. He has a limited right to say what he wants as no one can veer into hate speech which could encourage violence or discrimination against others.

In this case, he has, of course, parked his unwavering ‘faith’ and ‘principles’ which he previously declared to be the only things he cared about, and signed a contract which agrees that he will shut the f*** up about his views, or will be sacked. So it seems that his ‘faith’ has a price. Funny that.

The reaction of Wigan is to be applauded.

Exactly and that’s why every Muslim in Birmingham against same sex marriage should be kicked out of their jobs immediately.

Israel Folau / Margaret Court on 12:31 - Jan 30 with 1880 viewslondonlisa2001

Israel Folau / Margaret Court on 12:24 - Jan 30 by Darran

Exactly and that’s why every Muslim in Birmingham against same sex marriage should be kicked out of their jobs immediately.

People against same sex marriage shouldn’t be kicked out of their jobs.

People who publicly rant about gay people should be. And are.

The Birmingham issue isn’t about same sex marriage it’s about teaching children to be tolerant. The morons protesting should be ignored. Same as the morons on here that similarly believed teaching kids to be tolerant is wrong.

People can believe what they want - they can’t incite hatred or discrimination against other groups of people.
Israel Folau / Margaret Court on 12:34 - Jan 30 with 1875 viewsDarran

Israel Folau / Margaret Court on 12:31 - Jan 30 by londonlisa2001

People against same sex marriage shouldn’t be kicked out of their jobs.

People who publicly rant about gay people should be. And are.

The Birmingham issue isn’t about same sex marriage it’s about teaching children to be tolerant. The morons protesting should be ignored. Same as the morons on here that similarly believed teaching kids to be tolerant is wrong.

People can believe what they want - they can’t incite hatred or discrimination against other groups of people.

Yes of course Muslims are throwing gay people off buildings in other countries but there’s far more people offended by Folau and Court.
Christianity see.

Israel Folau / Margaret Court on 12:41 - Jan 30 with 1869 viewslondonlisa2001

Israel Folau / Margaret Court on 12:34 - Jan 30 by Darran

Yes of course Muslims are throwing gay people off buildings in other countries but there’s far more people offended by Folau and Court.
Christianity see.

Absolute nonsense.

But you crack on.
Israel Folau / Margaret Court on 12:46 - Jan 30 with 1847 viewsDarran

Israel Folau / Margaret Court on 12:41 - Jan 30 by londonlisa2001

Absolute nonsense.

But you crack on.

Yep in your head it might be.

Israel Folau / Margaret Court on 12:47 - Jan 30 with 1844 viewslondonlisa2001

Israel Folau / Margaret Court on 12:46 - Jan 30 by Darran

Yep in your head it might be.

You don’t think people are bothered about the behaviour of fundamentalist Islamic states?

Rightio.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024