Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Wales' Brexit Vote 17:24 - Feb 2 with 5468 viewsjohnlangy

Here's some interesting info in an article published by professor Danny Dorling of Oxford University recently.
“If you look at the more genuinely Welsh areas, especially the Welsh-speaking ones, they did not want to leave the EU,” Dorling told the Sunday Times. “Wales was made to look like a Brexit-supporting nation by its English settlers.”

About 21% (650,000) of people living in Wales were born in England, with nearly a quarter aged over 65. The country voted for Brexit by a majority of just 82,000.

Border towns and areas of central Wales with large English communities, such as Wrexham and Powys, recorded a higher proportion of leave votes, whereas Welsh-speaking areas such as Gwynedd and Ceredigion had high remain votes.

So Welsh people did not after all vote for Brexit.
Wales' Brexit Vote on 17:49 - Feb 2 with 3278 viewsHighjack

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Wales' Brexit Vote on 17:57 - Feb 2 with 3251 viewsNeath_Jack

I stopped reading at the "more genuinely Welsh areas".

F*cking knob.

I want a mate like Flashberryjacks, who wears a Barnsley jersey with "Swans are my second team" on the back.
Poll: Would you support military action against Syria on what we know so far?

Wales' Brexit Vote on 18:03 - Feb 2 with 3240 viewsKilkennyjack

Enjoy .... 👍

Beware of the Risen People

Wales' Brexit Vote on 18:06 - Feb 2 with 3219 viewsNeath_Jack

Wales' Brexit Vote on 18:03 - Feb 2 by Kilkennyjack

Enjoy .... 👍

He can talk (type) mind, throws some proper hissy fits him, a classic gammon, or Welsh lamb if you prefer.

I want a mate like Flashberryjacks, who wears a Barnsley jersey with "Swans are my second team" on the back.

Wales' Brexit Vote on 18:09 - Feb 2 with 3211 viewsexiledclaseboy

Pointless nonsense.

Poll: Tory leader

Wales' Brexit Vote on 18:09 - Feb 2 with 3208 viewsKilkennyjack

Wales' Brexit Vote on 18:06 - Feb 2 by Neath_Jack

He can talk (type) mind, throws some proper hissy fits him, a classic gammon, or Welsh lamb if you prefer.

Wales' Brexit Vote on 18:11 - Feb 2 with 3203 viewsNeath_Jack

Wales' Brexit Vote on 18:09 - Feb 2 by Kilkennyjack

You ok hun?

Wales' Brexit Vote on 18:16 - Feb 2 with 3185 viewsladyjack

The English want to be like us and call themselves British, lots of them don't want anything to do with the rest of the World they basically just want to be Welsh.
Login to get fewer ads

Wales' Brexit Vote on 18:25 - Feb 2 with 3162 viewsbryncochjack

" more genuinely Welsh areas"?

Try making that point in Neath, Aberdare, Ebbw Vale etc!
Wales' Brexit Vote on 18:30 - Feb 2 with 3122 viewsmonmouth

Seriously who gives a f*ck now. It's done. Johnno can throw toys at the EU from his pram as much as he likes now and nobody can do a single thing about it. Time to just let it run its course. Half the country 'won' and half the country 'lost'. it really is time to suck it up. We've left, whether all the constituemnt nations wanted to or not. It's up to hem now to decide what, if anything, they want to do next, not cry over the fact.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Wales' Brexit Vote on 18:36 - Feb 2 with 3110 viewsexiledclaseboy

Wales' Brexit Vote on 18:30 - Feb 2 by monmouth

Seriously who gives a f*ck now. It's done. Johnno can throw toys at the EU from his pram as much as he likes now and nobody can do a single thing about it. Time to just let it run its course. Half the country 'won' and half the country 'lost'. it really is time to suck it up. We've left, whether all the constituemnt nations wanted to or not. It's up to hem now to decide what, if anything, they want to do next, not cry over the fact.

Bang on. I’ve had the Brexit argument as many times as anyone but I gave it up just after 10pm on 12 December. It’s over so now we all just have to suck it up whether we “won” or “lost”.

Poll: Tory leader

Wales' Brexit Vote on 18:52 - Feb 2 with 3082 viewsHighjack

Wales' Brexit Vote on 18:03 - Feb 2 by Kilkennyjack

Enjoy .... 👍

I love horrible histories. It’s fantastic.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.

Wales' Brexit Vote on 08:31 - Feb 3 with 2936 viewsjack_lord

Wales' Brexit Vote on 18:36 - Feb 2 by exiledclaseboy

Bang on. I’ve had the Brexit argument as many times as anyone but I gave it up just after 10pm on 12 December. It’s over so now we all just have to suck it up whether we “won” or “lost”.

Pretty much the same for me. We reap what they sow!

Lord_Jack increasingly detached from the riches of kicking a ball
Poll: The E U : Stay or Leave

Wales' Brexit Vote on 08:55 - Feb 3 with 2912 viewsraynor94

Wales' Brexit Vote on 18:30 - Feb 2 by monmouth

Kilkenny obviously does

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

Wales' Brexit Vote on 10:55 - Feb 3 with 2818 viewsHighjack

If anybody is offended by a sketch from Horrible Histories, which is probably one of the most innocent and fun loving shows ever made then they are almost as stupid as Nish Kumar for using it for political point scoring.

Wales' Brexit Vote on 10:57 - Feb 3 with 2814 viewsBadlands

Wales' Brexit Vote on 18:36 - Feb 2 by exiledclaseboy

An election that gave us a right wing, Brexit, Tory government despite pro-Brexit parties winning more votes and three of the four nations rejecting Tories and Brexit.
A union can not function when only one area controls the the other three.
Within the EU every nation has equal value in votes and vetos and that highlights why England couldn't cope ...

Poll: Should the summer transfer window close before the season starts?

Wales' Brexit Vote on 11:38 - Feb 3 with 2782 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

Wales' Brexit Vote on 10:57 - Feb 3 by Badlands

An election that gave us a right wing, Brexit, Tory government despite pro-Brexit parties winning more votes and three of the four nations rejecting Tories and Brexit.
Within the EU every nation has equal value in votes and vetos and that highlights why England couldn't cope ...

The EU uses qualified majority voting if there is no agreement amongst all nations which means the larger EU countries carry the day. The voting power of larger counties was increased further in the Lisbon Treaty.
[Post edited 3 Feb 2020 11:44]

Besian Idrizaj Forever a Jack
Poll: When will Duff Revert to 4 at the Back

Wales' Brexit Vote on 12:48 - Feb 3 with 2747 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Wales' Brexit Vote on 10:57 - Feb 3 by Badlands

I think you will find England and Wales voted for Brexit. Scotland and NI voted remain. Overall the UK voted to leave the EU.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

Wales' Brexit Vote on 16:43 - Feb 3 with 2659 viewsjohnlangy

Wales' Brexit Vote on 12:48 - Feb 3 by felixstowe_jack

I think you will find England and Wales voted for Brexit. Scotland and NI voted remain. Overall the UK voted to leave the EU.

You're correct. England and Wales voted for Brexit. But I refer you to my original post re how Welsh people voted in the referendum.
Wales' Brexit Vote on 17:31 - Feb 3 with 2625 viewsKilkennyjack

Wales' Brexit Vote on 16:43 - Feb 3 by johnlangy

You're correct. England and Wales voted for Brexit. But I refer you to my original post re how Welsh people voted in the referendum.

Just 82,000....

So if an extra 41,001 voted Remain then the whole of Wales would have gone Remain.
For scale, the population of llanelli is circa 49,000.

Just saying ‘Wales voted Leave’ masks that reality somewhat.... ? 🇪🇺🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🇪🇺🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

Thanks for posting John 👍

Wales' Brexit Vote on 11:35 - Feb 4 with 2491 viewsBarrySwan

Wales' Brexit Vote on 17:31 - Feb 3 by Kilkennyjack

Just 82,000....

So if an extra 41,001 voted Remain then the whole of Wales would have gone Remain.
For scale, the population of llanelli is circa 49,000.

Just saying ‘Wales voted Leave’ masks that reality somewhat.... ? 🇪🇺🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🇪🇺🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

Thanks for posting John 👍

Hmmmm

So the referendum to set up the Welsh assembly when the Welsh public were made to vote again because the Political class didn't like the result of the first one with just 50% of the electorate bothering to take part returned a yes vote by just a 6,000 majority.

So if just over 6,000 had voted no then the whole of Wales would have gone No

For scale about the size of the population of the village of Dinas Powys

Just saying. 'Wales voted for an assembly' masks that reality somewhat....?

Thanks once again for your hypocritical analysis Killy you don't really understand the concept of democracy at all do you?

Or more likely just the bits of democracy that suit you.
Wales' Brexit Vote on 15:13 - Feb 4 with 2395 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Wales' Brexit Vote on 16:43 - Feb 3 by johnlangy

As far as I know you did not have to state your nationality when you filled in your ballot paper in the EU referendum. Any attempt to claim all welsh people voted to remain is clearly nonsense.

In fact all my Welsh friends in England voted to leave as did I.

Wales' Brexit Vote on 15:21 - Feb 4 with 2386 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Wales' Brexit Vote on 11:35 - Feb 4 by BarrySwan

Hmmmm

So the referendum to set up the Welsh assembly when the Welsh public were made to vote again because the Political class didn't like the result of the first one with just 50% of the electorate bothering to take part returned a yes vote by just a 6,000 majority.

Thanks once again for your hypocritical analysis Killy you don't really understand the concept of democracy at all do you?

A recent poll asked by people in Wales would you vote for independence
yes 21%
No 56%
Would not vote 8%
Don't know 12%
Refused to answer 3%

Would you vote to abolish Welsh Assembly
Yes 24%
No 47%
Would not vote 8%
Don't know 17%
Refused to answer 4%

Wales' Brexit Vote on 15:27 - Feb 4 with 2379 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Wales' Brexit Vote on 11:35 - Feb 4 by BarrySwan

Hmmmm

Don't forget all welshmen living in the rest of the UK were not allowed to vote in welsh devolution referendum. That is 500,00 who were not allowed to vote on the future of Wales.

Wales' Brexit Vote on 15:27 - Feb 4 with 2379 viewsjohnlangy

Wales' Brexit Vote on 15:13 - Feb 4 by felixstowe_jack

As far as I know you did not have to state your nationality when you filled in your ballot paper in the EU referendum. Any attempt to claim all welsh people voted to remain is clearly nonsense.

In fact all my Welsh friends in England voted to leave as did I.

Did I claim that ALL Welsh people voted remain ? Obviously a great number did vote for Brexit.

The point i'm making is about the fact there are a huge number of English people live in Wales. And a very large proportion of those are retired (I mention that because it's agreed that older people voted more for Brexit than younger people) so had a big effect on the outcome in Wales.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024