Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
U23s thrashed 4:0 by Newcastle and no wonder. 15:16 - Feb 3 with 2450 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Taking a settled side that had not lost in 5 games they promote Cullen, their top scorer to the 1st team and then make 6 other changes to that settled side.
The changes included 2 triallists in defence, who didn't seem to do too well and Garrick who played the first half after coming back from injury.
U23s thrashed 4:0 by Newcastle and no wonder. on 15:27 - Feb 3 with 2412 viewsFlashberryjack

The loss could have, and probably should have been much, much heavier.

Poor display IMO, sad thing is they get a dose of the bad passes as soon as they get anywhere near the opposition's goal area, very much like the senior team.

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

U23s thrashed 4:0 by Newcastle and no wonder. on 15:32 - Feb 3 with 2392 viewsThornburyswan

Whilst I do understand your very valid points I guess it comes down to how the club/Cooper see the value of the U23s - if it is too maximise their winning & gain maximum points/cup wins etc you are spot on.

However you could look at it from the perspective of (1) we have another load of change come the summer & bringing trialists in early (rather than wait until May/June) might be a decent call & with both MvdH & Nauts likely to leave plus Wilmot & maybe Guehi returning to their clubs we might need a defender or two & (2) if Garrick is to impact our last 12/14 games he needs some playing time.
U23s thrashed 4:0 by Newcastle and no wonder. on 15:41 - Feb 3 with 2378 viewsA_Fans_Dad

U23s thrashed 4:0 by Newcastle and no wonder. on 15:32 - Feb 3 by Thornburyswan

Whilst I do understand your very valid points I guess it comes down to how the club/Cooper see the value of the U23s - if it is too maximise their winning & gain maximum points/cup wins etc you are spot on.

However you could look at it from the perspective of (1) we have another load of change come the summer & bringing trialists in early (rather than wait until May/June) might be a decent call & with both MvdH & Nauts likely to leave plus Wilmot & maybe Guehi returning to their clubs we might need a defender or two & (2) if Garrick is to impact our last 12/14 games he needs some playing time.

That is all very well, but what does it do to the morale of the U23s team?
Changing over half of a winning team is not good when it results in such a disastrous outcome.
By the way Cooper does not run that team, or the U18s.
U23s thrashed 4:0 by Newcastle and no wonder. on 15:44 - Feb 3 with 2374 viewsTimTtam

I only just realised there's no relegation from PL 2 Div 2. So there's no real need for the U23s to earn points. They'd be slaughtered in Division 1. Bringing in trialists is a good idea.

It could be worse. Sunderland U23s are on 1 point after 16 games...

My name is Matt
Poll: Best option in regards to the EPL & EFL seasons?

U23s thrashed 4:0 by Newcastle and no wonder. on 15:59 - Feb 3 with 2344 viewsjack247

If Cullen is now going to be a regular senior squad player, then the under 23s have done their job. I get that it’s positive for them to win games and play with a consistent squad, but their main objective is to get players to the level they can play for the first team.

If they are missing their best striker because he is now considered part of the first team, are giving minutes to another first team squad player who is coming back from injury and a couple of players have to miss out because we’re having a look at players we may want to sign, surely that’s a good thing?
U23s thrashed 4:0 by Newcastle and no wonder. on 16:03 - Feb 3 with 2338 viewsjasper_T

Strange lineup today, with only one central midfielder in Dan Williams (just back from 4 months out) and forwards Cooper and Jones-Thomas deployed as the Byers and Gallagher either side of him. Can't say it worked at all, should have stuck with the two holders like we normally do (Tom Price or Kenko starting alongside Williams in Evans' absence).

Then on the left we had two fullbacks in Blake and the trialist Aina, who took a half each in their preferred position.

Celina looked a tidy enough player but RB not exactly a position we're short on with Rushesha and Bevan coming through. Aina was poor. Gudjohnsen's got nothing to his game to suggest investing in the family name was worth it.
U23s thrashed 4:0 by Newcastle and no wonder. on 16:17 - Feb 3 with 2310 viewsThornburyswan

U23s thrashed 4:0 by Newcastle and no wonder. on 15:41 - Feb 3 by A_Fans_Dad

That is all very well, but what does it do to the morale of the U23s team?
Changing over half of a winning team is not good when it results in such a disastrous outcome.
By the way Cooper does not run that team, or the U18s.

I know he doesn’t run the younger sides but clearly he’ll have input either directly or via Birch/Leon etc, agree on the confidence point but again depends on what messages are being delivered to the players.
U23s thrashed 4:0 by Newcastle and no wonder. on 16:30 - Feb 3 with 2266 viewsjasper_T

Without jumping to too many conclusions it did look like more of a Cooper-ish shape today. So maybe he is having input with the interim managers. That old "kids should play like the seniors to prepare them better" common sense chestnut that isn't so simple in reality.
Login to get fewer ads

U23s thrashed 4:0 by Newcastle and no wonder. on 19:52 - Feb 3 with 2048 viewsKilkennyjack

U23s thrashed 4:0 by Newcastle and no wonder. on 16:03 - Feb 3 by jasper_T

Strange lineup today, with only one central midfielder in Dan Williams (just back from 4 months out) and forwards Cooper and Jones-Thomas deployed as the Byers and Gallagher either side of him. Can't say it worked at all, should have stuck with the two holders like we normally do (Tom Price or Kenko starting alongside Williams in Evans' absence).

Then on the left we had two fullbacks in Blake and the trialist Aina, who took a half each in their preferred position.

Celina looked a tidy enough player but RB not exactly a position we're short on with Rushesha and Bevan coming through. Aina was poor. Gudjohnsen's got nothing to his game to suggest investing in the family name was worth it.

‘Investing in the family name’ ..... ouch !!

Beware of the Risen People

U23s thrashed 4:0 by Newcastle and no wonder. on 11:01 - Feb 4 with 1747 viewswhiterock

If we wanted to win every game do you think Bedna would be staring for Swindon, no, he'd be between the sticks for the 23's, loaning him out gets him far more ready for first team duties and that's what the 23's are there for.
U23s thrashed 4:0 by Newcastle and no wonder. on 11:34 - Feb 4 with 1706 viewsBadlands

If we want to keep attracting good quality players in the Academy the academy needs to offer two things
a) passport to regular first team football (at Swansea in top two leagues, on loan or from a transfer) which it has been very successful at.
b) having successful 'unders' teams which we have not had of some time (partly because of 'a'.
I would like to see the strongest under 23 team compete in the next round of the International Cup but I suspect it won't happen.

Poll: Should the summer transfer window close before the season starts?

U23s thrashed 4:0 by Newcastle and no wonder. on 14:30 - Feb 4 with 1600 viewsBlue_Blood

U23s thrashed 4:0 by Newcastle and no wonder. on 11:34 - Feb 4 by Badlands

If we want to keep attracting good quality players in the Academy the academy needs to offer two things
a) passport to regular first team football (at Swansea in top two leagues, on loan or from a transfer) which it has been very successful at.
b) having successful 'unders' teams which we have not had of some time (partly because of 'a'.
I would like to see the strongest under 23 team compete in the next round of the International Cup but I suspect it won't happen.

A) is far more important than B)
U23s thrashed 4:0 by Newcastle and no wonder. on 16:38 - Feb 4 with 1516 viewsglanmORJa_k

U23s thrashed 4:0 by Newcastle and no wonder. on 14:30 - Feb 4 by Blue_Blood

A) is far more important than B)

Take away the fact that players like Cullen and Jack Evans are out on loan, who exactly would you put in the team that in your opinion would be the best players available to play in the International Cup competition.
U23s thrashed 4:0 by Newcastle and no wonder. on 17:06 - Feb 4 with 1491 viewsSwanjaxs

Seems like the cupboard is bare throughout the age groups...
https://www.swanseacity.com/news/report-swansea-city-u18s-1-aston-villa-u18s-4

You might think I've forgotten, but one day, when you least expect it, my time will come.
Poll: Celtic and Rangers should be fast tracked into the Championship ASAP

U23s thrashed 4:0 by Newcastle and no wonder. on 17:34 - Feb 4 with 1467 viewsjasper_T

U23s thrashed 4:0 by Newcastle and no wonder. on 17:06 - Feb 4 by Swanjaxs

Seems like the cupboard is bare throughout the age groups...
https://www.swanseacity.com/news/report-swansea-city-u18s-1-aston-villa-u18s-4

Less local lads in that team than the u23s.

Rough week so far for Webb in goal.
U23s thrashed 4:0 by Newcastle and no wonder. on 17:44 - Feb 4 with 1455 views34dfgdf54

U23s thrashed 4:0 by Newcastle and no wonder. on 17:34 - Feb 4 by jasper_T

Less local lads in that team than the u23s.

Rough week so far for Webb in goal.

What’s he like?

Went through same college as I did, know a few boys who know him well so like to keep an eye on how he’s getting on.
U23s thrashed 4:0 by Newcastle and no wonder. on 19:25 - Feb 4 with 1404 viewsglanmORJa_k

Webb was the only player who came out of the game with any credibility yesterday. A very good prospect who is being played in the 18's and 23's. His height is not the benchmark these days for keepers, but what he hasn't got in his all round movement is lead feet.
U23s thrashed 4:0 by Newcastle and no wonder. on 19:53 - Feb 4 with 1386 viewsTenbySwan

If Brewster and Cullen get injured looks like we are a bit exposed.
U23s thrashed 4:0 by Newcastle and no wonder. on 20:03 - Feb 4 with 1381 views34dfgdf54

U23s thrashed 4:0 by Newcastle and no wonder. on 19:53 - Feb 4 by TenbySwan

If Brewster and Cullen get injured looks like we are a bit exposed.

Ayew will go up there most likely
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024