Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Average age of our team, worrying 16:42 - Feb 12 with 2164 viewsdunvantjack100

For under 23 games, the rule is that you can have 2 senior players over 23 I believe?
Last night, taking away Ayew and Naughton, our average age was 21.5.

As much as we are looking towards youth, there are just no where near enough senior players left. We cannot rely on Naughton and Ayew to guide this team, especially Naughton.

If our under 23’s played against QPR first team, I’d expect to lose heavily. There is a clear lack of patience with a young team who are learning, and have clear potential to go onto be very good players.

Guehi hadn’t played a senior game before he came to us, and he’s getting slated after 3 games, the patience is not there.

This summer is key, where we must look at bringing in experienced championship players, even though they may not look amazing signings.
Average age of our team, worrying on 16:52 - Feb 12 with 2143 viewsjasper_T

In Premier League 2 matches you can have up to 3 outfield players over U23 (players who turn 23 during the season are considered u23s) plus the goalkeeper.

Barnsley have used by far the youngest team this season, often fielding sides with an average age of 22-23. Our youngest this season was 23.2 (the loss to Stoke). Cooper's January acquisitions have made us younger, but we were already among the youngest sides.

https://www.transfermarkt.com/championship/durchschnittsalter/wettbewerb/GB2

Experienced Championship performers cost big wages these days. Beyond what any Championship club can sustainably spend. Game's gone mad.
Average age of our team, worrying on 17:38 - Feb 12 with 2074 viewsLuther27

Average age of our team, worrying on 16:52 - Feb 12 by jasper_T

In Premier League 2 matches you can have up to 3 outfield players over U23 (players who turn 23 during the season are considered u23s) plus the goalkeeper.

Barnsley have used by far the youngest team this season, often fielding sides with an average age of 22-23. Our youngest this season was 23.2 (the loss to Stoke). Cooper's January acquisitions have made us younger, but we were already among the youngest sides.

Experienced Championship performers cost big wages these days. Beyond what any Championship club can sustainably spend. Game's gone mad.

Good post.
Average age of our team, worrying on 20:11 - Feb 12 with 1972 viewsdunvantjack100

Average age of our team, worrying on 16:52 - Feb 12 by jasper_T

I was not aware of how young Barnsley’s team is, however they are second bottom and 10 points from safety. I feel as though the expectation around our team to be challenging is too high.

Completely agree with the costs of championship players, but if we are not prepared to pay the wages for good championship players (Which we know we aren’t), there should not be any expectation to be going for promotion.
Average age of our team, worrying on 23:11 - Feb 12 with 1862 viewsTNT

Average age of our team, worrying on 20:11 - Feb 12 by dunvantjack100

I was not aware of how young Barnsley’s team is, however they are second bottom and 10 points from safety. I feel as though the expectation around our team to be challenging is too high.

Completely agree with the costs of championship players, but if we are not prepared to pay the wages for good championship players (Which we know we aren’t), there should not be any expectation to be going for promotion.

Good posts, dunvantjack.

Poll: Would you make goalposts bigger?

Average age of our team, worrying on 23:13 - Feb 12 with 1856 viewsswancity

That’s it in a nutshell 👍🏻

Only an idiot would eat a turkey curry on Christmas day

Average age of our team, worrying on 23:22 - Feb 12 with 1839 viewspencoedjack

If Guehi was ours he’d have no grief off me.

We have better centre halves than him
Average age of our team, worrying on 16:12 - Feb 14 with 1633 viewsCatullus

I think you are right. Why do decent Championship players cost so much? Is it the knock on effect of the EPL driving up costs lower down the tiers yet not providing enough financial support lower down?
I had talksport on for a short while yesterday and I missed the start of a section with this fella (who sounded Irish, might have a book out about it) saying he thinks the EPL is basically ruining football. There's too much money in the EPL and the system is stacked so the richest clubs get ever more money. It's a debate we had on here and an opinion I agree with.
He stated that more different teams won the title in the 90's than since 2000 and that the simple lack of genuine competition was killing a sport we love. He also said look at France, PSG will win there most years, in Spain 2/3 teams will be the winners most years. These big super rich clubs are driving small teams to the wall and hovering up the supporters.

The big question is what can be done? Would we rather have a very young team but still have a team, or end up like Bury? Who knows how many lower league teams will crash and burn in the next 10 years.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Average age of our team, worrying on 16:52 - Feb 14 with 1595 viewshobo

It's testament to Cooper and the coaching staff for not only ensuring our safety, but to be in with a slim chance of playoffs too! With a bit of backing from the board we'd be a force
Login to get fewer ads

Average age of our team, worrying on 17:52 - Feb 14 with 1566 viewsAngelRangelQS

It's not a worry that we have a young team. What is a worry though is that most of them wont even be here next season so it's not as if we are building something.

Cabango should be playing regularly and certainly shouldn't be removed from the team to accommodate Guehi who has done nothing to merit it. Cooper could have also played Wilmott at CB. Why make it more difficult for yourself by making the side less experienced unless you have to?

Most clubs in the Championship would love to have Ayew, Baston (appreciate he's gone but we had him for 5 months), Rodon, Celina, Naughton and VDH in their squads along with the experience of the likes of Routledge and Dyer.

Although he's crap, Bidwell has played a couple of hundred games at this level, Grimes, Fulton are hardly strangers to first team football, Connor Roberts has a couple of seasons of league football under his belt and has PL and international experience, we had Carroll for a couple of months too.

Brewster and Gallagher, though young and inexperienced are two very highly rated youngsters as is Woodman.

We do have a young squad, we do need a bit of experience in a couple of areas but at the same time, Cooper hasn't been given a bunch of no hopers with no experience whatsoever and has somehow miraculously got us to the top half of the table.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024