Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
He who would Valiant be, Super U's to prevail at soggy Vale Park 09:03 - Feb 15 with 1847 viewsdurham_exile

JM takes his inconsistent U’s to Vale Park today for another key game in the battle for Promotion from League Two. Inconsistent because after their long unbeaten 16 game run, they have recently defeated Swindon and Plymouth but inexplicably lost to Cambridge and Grimsby.

It is this puzzling dilemma that most concerns me as a Colchester United supporter. Looking purely at League Games, we have played 33 games, won 13 drawn 13 and lost 7 with a GD of +16 and 52 points.

We lost 5 out of the first 14 league games and then have only lost 2 out of the last 19 games (but of those disturbingly have lost 2 out of the last 3 games).

We now embark upon the first of 13 cup finals with 7 Away games and 6 Home matches. In total we will have played 56 League and Cup games this season.

Our magnificent Carabao Cup run will have garnered £1M in the coffers. The transfer deals brought in almost another net £1M after the Brown transfer. So, it has already been a successful season, but if we fail at the last and languish in the basement league for another season it will have been a failure.

The 13 “Cup Finals”

Port Vale A
Salford A
Cheltenham H
Carlisle A
Scunny H
Crewe H
Newport A
Mansfield H
Bradford A
Northampton A
Oldham H
Walsall A
FGR H

They will of course determine our fate this season. Colchester must still strive for one of the top three positions. The Play Offs are a lottery and we can do without squeaky bum time in April/May.

Table:

Swindon 33 63
Crewe 32 61
Exeter 32 60
Plymouth 31 57
COL U 33 52
Northampton 32 52
Cheltenham 31 51
Bradford 33 51
Port Vale 33 51

Today we travel to another promotion contender Port Vale at Vale Park Burslem. John Askey’s side have only lost one of their last six games but will be without three players today all serving suspensions. James Gibbons the second of a two-game ban, Mitchel Clark the first of a three-game ban and talisman Tom Pope a one game ban for two yellow cards in their win on Tuesday at FGR. Ill discipline could cost them for this big game today against the Super U’s.

However, forget all about the players who will not be playing, it is the XI that take to the field that need concern us. Port Vale, like Cambridge and Grimsby have all hit form as they take on the Super U’s. Frankly there are no easy games and we will have to play superbly well between now and FGR (last game) to garner sufficient points to achieve a top three position. We probably need 30 points from 13 games, a tall order but 82 points should be enough for third position.

JM is still frustrated by the fact that Paris Cowan-Hall is out. Tom Lapslie has now picked up an injury playing against the Farmers U23. He says that one or two other players are carrying knocks. Worrying times indeed.

We now know what our best starting XI is:

Gerken

Jackson Eastman Prosser Bramall

Pell Comley

Harriott Stevenson Nouble

Robinson

But it is the optimum use of those from the subs bench that will ultimately determine our success or otherwise:

Ross, Sowunmi, Norris, Poku, Clampin, Gambin, Senior

JM must use all his 18 squad players and probably two or three other fringe players. It was unfortunate that we failed to bring in another striker or a replacement for Jevani Brown despite stating that we would.

The weather in Burslem today will be 10 degrees Celsius with rain and a stiff breeze (the Start of Storm Dennis). The pitch will drain well (it was laid on tons of crocks from the pottery factories) and it is big at 114 x 77 yards. The last time I went to Port Vale it was also very wet and we prevailed 2-1. I believe we will do the same today in similar conditions.

Safe journey to those travelling and enjoy the game.

Today is all about three points and getting our promotion wagon back on track.

Up the U’s

Durham_exile

He who would Valiant be, Super U's to prevail at soggy Vale Park on 10:38 - Feb 15 with 1121 viewsburnsieespana

Thanks for all that Durham.
With three players banned, to me indicates they are a physical team so we need to pick a team to be equal otherwise we will be overrun.
Hope not but do fear we might get a good bashing.
He who would Valiant be, Super U's to prevail at soggy Vale Park on 12:46 - Feb 15 with 1094 viewsdurham_exile

He who would Valiant be, Super U's to prevail at soggy Vale Park on 10:38 - Feb 15 by burnsieespana

Thanks for all that Durham.
With three players banned, to me indicates they are a physical team so we need to pick a team to be equal otherwise we will be overrun.
Hope not but do fear we might get a good bashing.

Burnsie it is very wet but mild.

Port Vale will be physical but several teams play a robust style of football.

I still reckon that we can win today but it will be tough.
UTU's

Durham_exile

He who would Valiant be, Super U's to prevail at soggy Vale Park on 14:20 - Feb 15 with 1071 viewsdurham_exile

He who would Valiant be, Super U's to prevail at soggy Vale Park on 12:46 - Feb 15 by durham_exile

Burnsie it is very wet but mild.

Port Vale will be physical but several teams play a robust style of football.

I still reckon that we can win today but it will be tough.
UTU's

Colchester team as predicted but Senior in for Harriott

Gerken
Jackson Eastman Prosser Bramall
Pell Comley
Senior Stevenson Nouble
Robinson

Subs
Ross Sowunmi Norris Harriott Clampin Gambin Poku

UTU's

Durham_exile

He who would Valiant be, Super U's to prevail at soggy Vale Park on 14:23 - Feb 15 with 1067 viewsGOSBTS

2-1 to the U’s is my prediction, with Pell well up for the physical battle today.

Up the U’s!
He who would Valiant be, Super U's to prevail at soggy Vale Park on 15:16 - Feb 15 with 1050 viewsdurham_exile

He who would Valiant be, Super U's to prevail at soggy Vale Park on 14:23 - Feb 15 by GOSBTS

2-1 to the U’s is my prediction, with Pell well up for the physical battle today.

Up the U’s!

Well we are making it difficult already.

1-0

Up the U's

Durham_exile

He who would Valiant be, Super U's to prevail at soggy Vale Park on 15:18 - Feb 15 with 1047 viewsMoor_Pinot

He who would Valiant be, Super U's to prevail at soggy Vale Park on 15:16 - Feb 15 by durham_exile

Well we are making it difficult already.

1-0

Up the U's

And there we are like we've all been saying. And hey-ho, now we're 8th.

Moor Pinot

He who would Valiant be, Super U's to prevail at soggy Vale Park on 15:38 - Feb 15 with 1033 viewsgerry_us

He who would Valiant be, Super U's to prevail at soggy Vale Park on 15:18 - Feb 15 by Moor_Pinot

And there we are like we've all been saying. And hey-ho, now we're 8th.

Err...9th actually.
He who would Valiant be, Super U's to prevail at soggy Vale Park on 15:58 - Feb 15 with 1013 viewsMoor_Pinot

He who would Valiant be, Super U's to prevail at soggy Vale Park on 15:38 - Feb 15 by gerry_us

Err...9th actually.

Sorry Gerry, and I don't think we'll improve on that and nor will there be 22 on the pitch at the end either!

Moor Pinot

Login to get fewer ads

He who would Valiant be, Super U's to prevail at soggy Vale Park on 15:59 - Feb 15 with 1013 viewsnoah4x4

U’s better team. Gerken at fault for goal. Underarm bowls ball to a less than alert Prosser who is immediately tackled inside our area. 1-0. Why do we pi55 around at the back?

Still hopeful
He who would Valiant be, Super U's to prevail at soggy Vale Park on 16:02 - Feb 15 with 1010 viewsdurham_exile

He who would Valiant be, Super U's to prevail at soggy Vale Park on 15:59 - Feb 15 by noah4x4

U’s better team. Gerken at fault for goal. Underarm bowls ball to a less than alert Prosser who is immediately tackled inside our area. 1-0. Why do we pi55 around at the back?

Still hopeful

Noah how is the weather the pitch looked reasonable before the game

Come on the U's

Durham_exile

He who would Valiant be, Super U's to prevail at soggy Vale Park on 16:11 - Feb 15 with 999 viewsdurham_exile

He who would Valiant be, Super U's to prevail at soggy Vale Park on 16:02 - Feb 15 by durham_exile

Come on the U's

Now 2-0

Shocking

Durham_exile

He who would Valiant be, Super U's to prevail at soggy Vale Park on 16:11 - Feb 15 with 999 viewsnoah4x4

Poku on for Senior. Loses ball. 2-0.
He who would Valiant be, Super U's to prevail at soggy Vale Park on 16:12 - Feb 15 with 997 viewsMoor_Pinot

He who would Valiant be, Super U's to prevail at soggy Vale Park on 16:02 - Feb 15 by durham_exile

Come on the U's

Pitch seems to be ok Durham though Noahs better placed than I-follow. Gerken hasn't been great in recent weeks in my view. 5 yellow cards so far. Still hoping.

Moor Pinot

He who would Valiant be, Super U's to prevail at soggy Vale Park on 16:15 - Feb 15 with 990 viewsdurham_exile

He who would Valiant be, Super U's to prevail at soggy Vale Park on 16:12 - Feb 15 by Moor_Pinot

Pitch seems to be ok Durham though Noahs better placed than I-follow. Gerken hasn't been great in recent weeks in my view. 5 yellow cards so far. Still hoping.

Thanks Pinault

I'm afraid it looks like third defeat in four games

Grim times indeed

Durham_exile

He who would Valiant be, Super U's to prevail at soggy Vale Park on 16:17 - Feb 15 with 987 viewsdurham_exile

He who would Valiant be, Super U's to prevail at soggy Vale Park on 16:15 - Feb 15 by durham_exile

Thanks Pinault

I'm afraid it looks like third defeat in four games

Grim times indeed

Weather absolutely shocking

Pleased I decided not to go because of the poor conditions

Very wet and M6 grim

Up the U's

Durham_exile

He who would Valiant be, Super U's to prevail at soggy Vale Park on 16:20 - Feb 15 with 985 viewsdurham_exile

He who would Valiant be, Super U's to prevail at soggy Vale Park on 16:17 - Feb 15 by durham_exile

Weather absolutely shocking

Pleased I decided not to go because of the poor conditions

Very wet and M6 grim

Up the U's

Every season we hit the wall and we've done it again Cambridge Grimsby and Port Vale are turning this into a poor month.

Salford next week

We failed to bring in the two promised players strikers and number 10 and we are paying the penalty

Very disappointing

UTU's

Durham_exile

He who would Valiant be, Super U's to prevail at soggy Vale Park on 16:31 - Feb 15 with 966 viewsdurham_exile

He who would Valiant be, Super U's to prevail at soggy Vale Park on 16:20 - Feb 15 by durham_exile

Every season we hit the wall and we've done it again Cambridge Grimsby and Port Vale are turning this into a poor month.

Salford next week

We failed to bring in the two promised players strikers and number 10 and we are paying the penalty

Very disappointing

UTU's

Now 3-0

I have no words

McGreal out

Another year in league two beckons

Signing off now

Durham_exile

He who would Valiant be, Super U's to prevail at soggy Vale Park on 16:34 - Feb 15 with 957 viewsgerry_us

I wrote on last week's mat match thread.

"I would normally be trecking towards Vale Park tomorrow but with the current abject management and the onset of Storm Dennis I am staying in the warm and dry. I fear the worst tommorow that could put auto promotion out of our reach and play-offs highly unlikely. I hope I am wrong but...."

Mmm. Me and my big mouth. Sorry guys.
He who would Valiant be, Super U's to prevail at soggy Vale Park on 16:41 - Feb 15 with 950 viewsdurham_exile

He who would Valiant be, Super U's to prevail at soggy Vale Park on 16:34 - Feb 15 by gerry_us

"I would normally be trecking towards Vale Park tomorrow but with the current abject management and the onset of Storm Dennis I am staying in the warm and dry. I fear the worst tommorow that could put auto promotion out of our reach and play-offs highly unlikely. I hope I am wrong but...."

Gerry I am sure that the club has no ambition for promotion.

I really don't understand it at all.

We always implode and have done so in spectacular fashion.

Things will not change because there are no more players to draw from and we failed to bring in the players that we needed.

As sick as a parrot

Incidentally I am going to Salford next week.

Suddenly the unbeaten run is looking like a sick joke.

Disgraceful

Durham_exile

He who would Valiant be, Super U's to prevail at soggy Vale Park on 16:42 - Feb 15 with 948 viewsMoor_Pinot

He who would Valiant be, Super U's to prevail at soggy Vale Park on 16:34 - Feb 15 by gerry_us

Now you're right Gerry.
The question to ask, the fact to muse is that this club took Plymouth apart a week ago, played very very well and looked like a top four team.
What has changed and why?
Does anyone know what to do about that and does anyone even recognise that the question needs posing?
That concerns me because no thing's changed in three years. 16 games unbeaten equates to what?

Moor Pinot

He who would Valiant be, Super U's to prevail at soggy Vale Park on 16:45 - Feb 15 with 945 viewsnoah4x4

This is dire.

Worst performance in years.
He who would Valiant be, Super U's to prevail at soggy Vale Park on 16:58 - Feb 15 with 931 viewsdurham_exile

He who would Valiant be, Super U's to prevail at soggy Vale Park on 16:45 - Feb 15 by noah4x4

This is dire.

Worst performance in years.

Shocking result against Port Vales reserves

They simply don't want promotion

Durham_exile

He who would Valiant be, Super U's to prevail at soggy Vale Park on 17:02 - Feb 15 with 924 viewsgerry_us

He who would Valiant be, Super U's to prevail at soggy Vale Park on 16:58 - Feb 15 by durham_exile

Shocking result against Port Vales reserves

They simply don't want promotion

How the hell do we get back into a play-off spot. Some teams even worse than us?
He who would Valiant be, Super U's to prevail at soggy Vale Park on 17:02 - Feb 15 with 923 viewswessex_exile

Northampton and Bradford implode, U's still in the play-offs. After today, that's our only hope now.

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #23

He who would Valiant be, Super U's to prevail at soggy Vale Park on 17:15 - Feb 15 with 906 viewsGOSBTS

He who would Valiant be, Super U's to prevail at soggy Vale Park on 17:02 - Feb 15 by wessex_exile

Northampton and Bradford implode, U's still in the play-offs. After today, that's our only hope now.

I'm usually quite optimistic but that is the only saving grace I can find from today too. Let's just hope we turn things around at Salford next week before a big game against Cheltenham.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024