Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Worst teacher back in the day? Name and shame... 20:05 - Feb 16 with 26171 viewsSwanjaxs

Mr Dooley, Penlan comp back in 78.

Irish block head, ex washed up boxer in his late 50's ..

Loved to reach for his right hand draw and slipper a few 👌

Who's the teacher back in your day you'd want to meet up with now on an equal footing? 👊👊

This post has been edited by an administrator

You might think I've forgotten, but one day, when you least expect it, my time will come.
Poll: Celtic and Rangers should be fast tracked into the Championship ASAP

Worst teacher back in the day? Name and shame... on 21:59 - Feb 19 with 4083 viewsPrivate_Partz

Worst teacher back in the day? Name and shame... on 21:37 - Feb 19 by raynor94

He was the P E teacher, had a tremendous knack of grabbing you just above the elbow and squeezing , agony, another I remember was Basher Bowen, the music teacher.

I did 2 years there

Yep I got him Rayns.
Used to do a thing where pupils faced up each with a slapping hand free. You would grab your opponents wrist to stop him slapping you whilst you tried to slap him in the face.
The tw@t put me up against a geezer that looked like a sumo wrestler. The b@stard slapped the cr@p out of me. After a break he got us all to do it again.....happy days.
Sorry you had to suffer a year more than me. Remember the Squash Box?

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

Worst teacher back in the day? Name and shame... on 22:13 - Feb 19 with 4064 viewsraynor94

Worst teacher back in the day? Name and shame... on 21:59 - Feb 19 by Private_Partz

Yep I got him Rayns.
Used to do a thing where pupils faced up each with a slapping hand free. You would grab your opponents wrist to stop him slapping you whilst you tried to slap him in the face.
The tw@t put me up against a geezer that looked like a sumo wrestler. The b@stard slapped the cr@p out of me. After a break he got us all to do it again.....happy days.
Sorry you had to suffer a year more than me. Remember the Squash Box?

Doesn't ring any bells

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

Worst teacher back in the day? Name and shame... on 22:27 - Feb 19 with 4051 viewsFieryJack

Mr Walmsley - used to dish out corporal punishment in the gym.

You'd get bent over the horse and he'd take an almighty run-up and give it to you on the ar*e with a plimsoll (or dap as you call it in south Wales).

For good measure he'd chalk a big X on the sole of the dap and you'd walk off with a kiss on your ar*e.

He was a games teacher. In one games lesson a kid was in to bat during a cricket session and was larking about at the wicket holding the game up, and Mr W picked up a cricket ball in a temper and threw it at him full force, intending, I think, to knock the bat from out of his hand. Horrifically, the ball hit him on the head, and knocked him clean out. Got sacked for that.

The worst lot - no surprise here - were the psychopathic nuns in the Catholic primary school I went to. Sister John would slowly patrol the maths class and routinely smash her
bony fists into the ear-holes of 7 year old boys who were too thick to divide 38 by 7 quick enough. Brutal, skinny, frustrated, red-faced monster.

You'd get the cane for trivial misdemeanours. I once made a small green mark on a concrete fence post in the playground using a scrunched up leaf, and got hauled off to the headmistress's office - a Sister Mary Benedict - (imagine a Bulgarian shot putter in nun's gear) - who kindly gave me a choice of which cane I wanted to be hit with - I was careful not to choose the bamboo one, which had several splits in the hitting end.

Mr Burke, the geography teacher, would make us all rest our hands on the front edge of our desks and walk around bellowing at random terrified kids: "MURPHY! THE CAPITAL CITY OF DENMARK IS?" "ER, STOCKHOLM, SIR", and SMASH, down it would come, a 36 inch wooden ruler on poor Murphy's fingers. Loved it. By the time I was 10 I must have known nearly all the capital cities of all the countries in the world. Top man.

With it being a Catholic school I reckon the place was a third Irish, a third Italian and a third Polish. Even all these years later I can't expel the memory of the brutal punishment handed out to Ita McM****. She came from some well-messed up family background which meant she had particularly ingrained behavioural issues. She was regularly caned for her insolence and disobedience, but none of it had any effect, so they gave her the works - a hideous thrashing: held face down on a table (so some pupils said), and savagely beaten across the back of her legs.

I can remember her being supported out of the school, a nun each side of her, barely able to move her legs, the backs of which were a mass of red-raw, raised stripes. She was in too much pain and shock to cry, I think, just gasping and traumatised.

Aye, and there's a few on here I can think of who deserve the same.
Worst teacher back in the day? Name and shame... on 02:25 - Feb 21 with 3836 viewsJack59

Worst teacher back in the day? Name and shame... on 21:10 - Feb 17 by Robbie

Yes , Gowerton at that time was still a Boys Grammar School and I thought he thrived on the status to keep it posh , I alas did not conform to his visions and got The Cane .
Think he had a son Simon who was involved in cricket .

His son's name was Adrian Daniel, I played cricket against him a couple of times, he was a very good batsman, I think he may have played for the County seconds and Cambridge University mid 70's. His daughter Beverley may have moved to Holland when she was quite young, Rotterdam I think.
Afan Daniel could well have been Head when Leighton James was there.
Worst teacher back in the day? Name and shame... on 12:39 - Feb 21 with 3722 viewscontroversial_jack

Worst teacher back in the day? Name and shame... on 18:27 - Feb 17 by Highjack

Our teachers had a pathological hatred for football too. First ever P.E lesson in Dwr y felin, the teacher placed a rugby ball on one side of the corridor and a football on the other. He said “Go and stand next to the ball that you’d rather play with”. Probably about 90% of the group went and stood next to the football. He said “We’re playing rugby anyway, that was just to find out who the poofters are.”

They actually tried to ban football on the grounds that it was dangerous because the ball might smash a window. Even though the playing fields were massive and the football pitch was about half a mile from the school.

There was also an old bloke who used to go into the showers and the changing rooms bollock naked whilst we were showering or changing. Nobody ever knew who he was.

Football was frowned upon in the schools in Neath. it was Rugby, cricket and Athletics and that was it.I hated rugby and still do
Worst teacher back in the day? Name and shame... on 18:33 - Feb 21 with 3612 viewsmayorofpenlan

When I was there dooley would hand out comics in his English lesson.
John Mills scripture didn't know what side he batted for.
Sleepy Rowe drama could kip for Wales.
Crafty Williams what a psycho he was
Worst teacher back in the day? Name and shame... on 19:13 - Feb 21 with 3579 viewsBrynCartwright

At Gorseinon Tertiary College (now Gower College) a footie match was set up between teachers and pupils in early 1988. The PE teacher (cannot remember his name) came bounding out of the changing rooms, eager to batter the kids, with one of his hairy bollocks sticking out from the wrong side of his tight, tight shorts knicker elastic.

A few girls fainted.

Poll: Artificial Crowd Noise for Premier League and Champiionship Games is...

Worst teacher back in the day? Name and shame... on 19:36 - Feb 21 with 3560 viewsWarwickHunt

Worst teacher back in the day? Name and shame... on 02:25 - Feb 21 by Jack59

His son's name was Adrian Daniel, I played cricket against him a couple of times, he was a very good batsman, I think he may have played for the County seconds and Cambridge University mid 70's. His daughter Beverley may have moved to Holland when she was quite young, Rotterdam I think.

Yes, he did. Nice guy and a top batsman at schoolboy level. Rewrote the record books.

Was tipped to be a future England player but never made it.
Login to get fewer ads

Worst teacher back in the day? Name and shame... on 19:52 - Feb 21 with 3539 viewsmonmouth

Worst teacher back in the day? Name and shame... on 18:33 - Feb 21 by mayorofpenlan

When I was there dooley would hand out comics in his English lesson.
John Mills scripture didn't know what side he batted for.
Sleepy Rowe drama could kip for Wales.
Crafty Williams what a psycho he was

Was Mills the choir bloke as well. Probably. I remember Rowe. He just gave out some books and left us to it. Dooley I still can’t place. Titch Evans was keen on doling out the rubber too. And Carole Harris flashing her growler at all and sundry in French. Like Kenny Everett with her legs she was, if less physically appealing.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Worst teacher back in the day? Name and shame... on 20:05 - Feb 21 with 3523 viewsexiledclaseboy

Worst teacher back in the day? Name and shame... on 19:52 - Feb 21 by monmouth

Was Mills the choir bloke as well. Probably. I remember Rowe. He just gave out some books and left us to it. Dooley I still can’t place. Titch Evans was keen on doling out the rubber too. And Carole Harris flashing her growler at all and sundry in French. Like Kenny Everett with her legs she was, if less physically appealing.

Rowe and Mills were still around when I was there.

Poll: Tory leader

Worst teacher back in the day? Name and shame... on 20:26 - Feb 21 with 3498 viewssherpajacob

Worst teacher back in the day? Name and shame... on 02:25 - Feb 21 by Jack59

The change from Grammar to Comp mentally broke Ab Dab. When I got there in mid 80s he was still head master, but just a figure head, the school was run through fear and violence by the deputy head OJ Hughes. I also remember the care taker, a, strange man in all respects, he made the front page of the evening post once for locking Norman Tebbit out of his own meeting.

My only real memory of Afan Daniel is when I was in 6th form. A few of us set up a cricket pitch on the lawn area in the front of the school. Some builders/decorator blokes who were working in the school joined us and we had a,proper match, missing several lessons in the process. Ab Dab spotted us and came out from his office. Instead of telling us off and to get back to school, he watched the game, applauding any good play. He came over to us afterwards and said "well done boys, that was nice to see."

I'm sure a few of us had good UCCA references on the back of it.
[Post edited 21 Feb 2020 20:31]

Poll: Your favourite ever Swans shirt sponsor?

Worst teacher back in the day? Name and shame... on 21:10 - Feb 21 with 3457 viewsangryjack

Worst teacher back in the day? Name and shame... on 20:05 - Feb 21 by exiledclaseboy

Rowe and Mills were still around when I was there.

And me Rowe was library teacher made me stand on chair held held my side burns and had some boys in class kijck chair away while my body dropped and my side burns were still in the air
Worst teacher back in the day? Name and shame... on 22:04 - Feb 21 with 3413 viewsRobbie

Worst teacher back in the day? Name and shame... on 20:26 - Feb 21 by sherpajacob

The change from Grammar to Comp mentally broke Ab Dab. When I got there in mid 80s he was still head master, but just a figure head, the school was run through fear and violence by the deputy head OJ Hughes. I also remember the care taker, a, strange man in all respects, he made the front page of the evening post once for locking Norman Tebbit out of his own meeting.

My only real memory of Afan Daniel is when I was in 6th form. A few of us set up a cricket pitch on the lawn area in the front of the school. Some builders/decorator blokes who were working in the school joined us and we had a,proper match, missing several lessons in the process. Ab Dab spotted us and came out from his office. Instead of telling us off and to get back to school, he watched the game, applauding any good play. He came over to us afterwards and said "well done boys, that was nice to see."

I'm sure a few of us had good UCCA references on the back of it.
[Post edited 21 Feb 2020 20:31]

Surprised he lasted that long, I left in 1977 , he was passionate about the title and status of

Gowerton Boys Grammar School even then . The teaching methods them days were to

say the least dubious . Never heard him called Ab Dab mind .
Worst teacher back in the day? Name and shame... on 22:14 - Feb 21 with 3408 viewsRobbie

Leighton James is a few years older than me so do not remember him there but I know

he attended the school , . Think he had a brother Wyn who was also a bit older than me .

Afan Daniels might have come after the brothers left .

Going back 47 years now , so memory could be playing tricks .
Worst teacher back in the day? Name and shame... on 18:29 - Feb 22 with 3295 viewswaynekerr55

Mrs Rees Science in Pentrehafod clearly had hearing problems. The poor lady. I remember asking her for a chair before to which she replied "what for?"

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

Worst teacher back in the day? Name and shame... on 08:24 - Feb 23 with 3182 viewsSTID2017

In Bishop Vaughan, the physics teacher was John Gow, the internationally famous football referee.
If he caught you misbehaving in his class he would throw a duster at you.
As those with a wont to misbehave usually say at the back, it usually came at quite a speed and with unnerring accuracy !!
I dropped physics as soon as I could, needless to say (plus I was useless at it anyway )

"Sanity and happiness are an impossible combination" - Mark Twain
Poll: Who Would You Want As Captain For Swans ?

Worst teacher back in the day? Name and shame... on 18:23 - Feb 23 with 3111 viewsSwanjaxs

Looking through a lot of the comments it seems teachers back in the day got away with murders.

To balance things up I think that pupils have probably become more "balanced" than they were in the 70's and 80's and a teachers job is more stress free.

Thankfully the bullying/anti social behaviour at school is going the same way as football hooliganism

You might think I've forgotten, but one day, when you least expect it, my time will come.
Poll: Celtic and Rangers should be fast tracked into the Championship ASAP

Worst teacher back in the day? Name and shame... on 18:50 - Feb 23 with 3094 viewsCatullus

Worst teacher back in the day? Name and shame... on 08:24 - Feb 23 by STID2017

In Bishop Vaughan, the physics teacher was John Gow, the internationally famous football referee.
If he caught you misbehaving in his class he would throw a duster at you.
As those with a wont to misbehave usually say at the back, it usually came at quite a speed and with unnerring accuracy !!
I dropped physics as soon as I could, needless to say (plus I was useless at it anyway )

I used to have regular chats with John about refereeing, he had a tendency to defend bad decisions, a ref til the end I guess! Is he still with us, was living down Derwen Fawr way.

Teachers, now he wasn't particularly bad or nasty but Mr Abrahams in Bishop Gore, he adminstered the corporal punishment, he had a sawn off cricket bat and used to leave his door open so you could hear the thwacks echoing down the corridors. He was tall too, well over 6ft.

Oystermouth infants, I forget her name but a teacher there would refuse to let you go to the toilet and then punish you if you 'had an accident'

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Worst teacher back in the day? Name and shame... on 19:17 - Feb 23 with 3067 viewsSTID2017

Worst teacher back in the day? Name and shame... on 18:50 - Feb 23 by Catullus

I used to have regular chats with John about refereeing, he had a tendency to defend bad decisions, a ref til the end I guess! Is he still with us, was living down Derwen Fawr way.

Teachers, now he wasn't particularly bad or nasty but Mr Abrahams in Bishop Gore, he adminstered the corporal punishment, he had a sawn off cricket bat and used to leave his door open so you could hear the thwacks echoing down the corridors. He was tall too, well over 6ft.

Oystermouth infants, I forget her name but a teacher there would refuse to let you go to the toilet and then punish you if you 'had an accident'

Glad to hear he's still trundling on, although once a referee always a referee by the sounds on it.
He could be gruff in school but apart from his trick with the duster, he was a good teacher and fair.
Problem was Physics was compulsory for a couple of years back then so he still had to try and teach numpties like me who had not a clue or interest about it.
Ask me about Swans at the time (mid 70's) and I'd have told you chapter and verse

Worst teacher back in the day? Name and shame... on 21:20 - Feb 23 with 2993 viewslonglostjack

Worst teacher back in the day? Name and shame... on 19:17 - Feb 23 by STID2017

Glad to hear he's still trundling on, although once a referee always a referee by the sounds on it.
He could be gruff in school but apart from his trick with the duster, he was a good teacher and fair.
Problem was Physics was compulsory for a couple of years back then so he still had to try and teach numpties like me who had not a clue or interest about it.
Ask me about Swans at the time (mid 70's) and I'd have told you chapter and verse

Physics was one of those subjects. We had a Mr Green teaching it. Ex-Navy. Remember his wave machine and when he got it out he’d always say something along the lines of “You’ll remember my vibrator.” We thought it was hilarious because he was too old and not with it. Years later we realized the joke was on us.

Poll: Alcohol in the lockdown

Worst teacher back in the day? Name and shame... on 21:42 - Feb 24 with 2876 viewsCatullus

Worst teacher back in the day? Name and shame... on 19:17 - Feb 23 by STID2017

I looked him up, sadly not with us anymore,

https://www.faw.cymru/en/news/john-gow-1930-2017/

I liked John, spoke with him about football 3/4 times a week about football.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Worst teacher back in the day? Name and shame... on 09:21 - Feb 25 with 2799 viewsSTID2017

Worst teacher back in the day? Name and shame... on 21:42 - Feb 24 by Catullus

I looked him up, sadly not with us anymore,

https://www.faw.cymru/en/news/john-gow-1930-2017/

I liked John, spoke with him about football 3/4 times a week about football.

Sad to hear.
RIP sir

Worst teacher back in the day? Name and shame... on 12:51 - Feb 25 with 2763 viewsPastor_Flapps

I can't believe Death Dick of Bishop Gore hasn't made the list yet.

He used to take great delight in taking petrified girls into his back office.
Worst teacher back in the day? Name and shame... on 13:45 - Feb 25 with 2725 viewsHighjack

Worst teacher back in the day? Name and shame... on 12:51 - Feb 25 by Pastor_Flapps

Is that a euphemism?

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Worst teacher back in the day? Name and shame... on 13:50 - Feb 25 with 2718 viewssainthelens

Worst teacher back in the day? Name and shame... on 12:51 - Feb 25 by Pastor_Flapps

In Bishop Gore late 70s, Holbrook the physics teacher was literally the biggest perv walking. No girl in a skirt was safe.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024