Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Big brother is watching 21:51 - Feb 19 with 3169 viewsCatullus

Just not the government, as it turns out the in house surveillance is done by...Amazon.

I watched a program on BBC iplayer where former Amazon senior management wondered why people who would vote against letting the government have stronger surveiilance powers would buy Alexa, and often have 3/4 in a house, when Amazon can listen in to every word. They also talked about the video doorbells which Amazon can also access. 3 UK police forces have been giving them out free calling them a massive tool in th fight against crime but it's basically a camera they can access directly without a warrant, which you agree to when you accept it apparently.
The program didn't reflect well on Amazon.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Big brother is watching on 22:01 - Feb 19 with 2501 viewsexiledclaseboy

I saw bits of this. Not sure why they singled out amazon part from them being a company with a big UK presence. Apple, android, google home, smart TVs etc all do much the same thing. We had a family bereavement back last summer. We were talking about it in the kitchen where one of the google home things is. Went online minutes later and the first ads I saw were for funeral services and urns for ashes. It’s very sinister when you think about it. But I can shout at it to put the radio on and off so I’ll live with it I suppose.

Poll: Tory leader

Big brother is watching on 22:09 - Feb 19 with 2479 viewsWingstandwood

There has been a fair bit of negative publicity regarding lots of Amazon customers who have accidentally signed up to Amazon Prime. The company seems to have acted rather deviously. It's worthwhile for Amazon customers to check for unwanted 'Amazon Prime' debiting on their bank statements just in case they have accidentally signed up.

Never ever respond to any recorded/automated phone calls claiming to be from Amazon even if there has been a recent Amazon Prime cancellation. Scammers have taken full advantage of Amazons rather questionable practices.

Argus!

Big brother is watching on 22:28 - Feb 19 with 2444 viewsLuther27

Big brother is watching on 22:01 - Feb 19 by exiledclaseboy

I saw bits of this. Not sure why they singled out amazon part from them being a company with a big UK presence. Apple, android, google home, smart TVs etc all do much the same thing. We had a family bereavement back last summer. We were talking about it in the kitchen where one of the google home things is. Went online minutes later and the first ads I saw were for funeral services and urns for ashes. It’s very sinister when you think about it. But I can shout at it to put the radio on and off so I’ll live with it I suppose.

Strangely enough whenever I have a chat about anything random with anyone, sign on to Facebook ,and flipping 'eck, there's several adverts relevant to the previous private conversation we'd had. I don't have Alexa, Google etc. We do however have IPhones.
Big brother is watching on 22:37 - Feb 19 with 2429 viewshobo

Anyone who has bought an 'Alexa' is an idiot. They should be paying you to put these things in your homes
Big brother is watching on 22:38 - Feb 19 with 2421 viewsunion_jack

Big brother is watching on 22:28 - Feb 19 by Luther27

Strangely enough whenever I have a chat about anything random with anyone, sign on to Facebook ,and flipping 'eck, there's several adverts relevant to the previous private conversation we'd had. I don't have Alexa, Google etc. We do however have IPhones.

I get those scantily clad women popping up on my screen as well. Can’t think why!

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

Big brother is watching on 22:41 - Feb 19 with 2414 viewsHighjack

It’s all there in the terms and conditions. You agreed for them to spy on you and harvest your data for all sorts of insidious purposes.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Big brother is watching on 23:09 - Feb 19 with 2389 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/amp/technology-46181800

This is where it becomes very interesting, using your smart device recordings to support the legal process.

Besian Idrizaj Forever a Jack
Poll: When will Duff Revert to 4 at the Back

Big brother is watching on 23:12 - Feb 19 with 2385 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

Big brother is watching on 22:41 - Feb 19 by Highjack

It’s all there in the terms and conditions. You agreed for them to spy on you and harvest your data for all sorts of insidious purposes.

Yep, sign into a website or buy something on line, tick the box and you are sharing data with the organisation that owns the website ants its 'partners' i.e. anybody and everybody.

Besian Idrizaj Forever a Jack
Poll: When will Duff Revert to 4 at the Back

Login to get fewer ads

Big brother is watching on 23:17 - Feb 19 with 2376 viewsThrasher6

Brexit, Boris, Trump.....the level of stupidity displayed by the general public doesnt need a device planted in your home. You can sell them anything....they are thick as sh*t.....

To quote Winston Churchill.....all you nationalists.....Brexit types... love old Churchill...Boris loves him..wrote a book about him. Here's what he's got to say...

"The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter"

It'll be lost on most....
[Post edited 19 Feb 2020 23:27]

Poll: Social Distancing: When will it be an obsolete word?

Big brother is watching on 23:28 - Feb 19 with 2352 viewssainthelens

Big brother is watching on 22:38 - Feb 19 by union_jack

I get those scantily clad women popping up on my screen as well. Can’t think why!

I get that, I've deleted history that many times, I don't even know who the Romans are.
Big brother is watching on 23:44 - Feb 19 with 2329 viewsHighjack

Big brother is watching on 23:17 - Feb 19 by Thrasher6

Brexit, Boris, Trump.....the level of stupidity displayed by the general public doesnt need a device planted in your home. You can sell them anything....they are thick as sh*t.....

To quote Winston Churchill.....all you nationalists.....Brexit types... love old Churchill...Boris loves him..wrote a book about him. Here's what he's got to say...

"The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter"

You know Churchill never actually said that, right?

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.

Big brother is watching on 23:50 - Feb 19 with 2319 viewsHighjack

As the great man once said:

Big brother is watching on 08:04 - Feb 20 with 2188 viewsmonmouth

Big brother is watching on 23:44 - Feb 19 by Highjack

Ouch.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Big brother is watching on 09:22 - Feb 20 with 2132 viewsWarwickHunt

Big brother is watching on 23:44 - Feb 19 by Highjack

Not formally attributed to him, it’s pretty spot on though.

30 seconds of vox pops on the news should be enough to convince you.
Big brother is watching on 09:31 - Feb 20 with 2118 viewsmonmouth

Big brother is watching on 09:22 - Feb 20 by WarwickHunt

Not formally attributed to him, it’s pretty spot on though.

30 seconds of vox pops on the news should be enough to convince you.

Not so ouch then.

How foolish of me to think a brexiter would not play fast and loose with the substance of truth. Schoolboy error.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Big brother is watching on 09:37 - Feb 20 with 2105 viewsHighjack

Big brother is watching on 09:31 - Feb 20 by monmouth

Not so ouch then.

How foolish of me to think a brexiter would not play fast and loose with the substance of truth. Schoolboy error.

The truth is he never said it.

https://winstonchurchill.org/publications/finest-hour/finest-hour-141/red-herrin

Big brother is watching on 11:07 - Feb 20 with 2046 viewsEbo

Big brother is watching on 22:38 - Feb 19 by union_jack

Me too, never knew there was so many Thai and Russian women living in Aberdare willing to chew my spuds.

Thank you, goodnight and bollocks
Poll: What couldn't you live without?

Big brother is watching on 11:54 - Feb 20 with 1995 viewsElward

I got a video doorbell, among other items. It benefits me. Have fun looking at my driveway I guess?
Big brother is watching on 20:46 - Feb 20 with 1854 viewsCatullus

Big brother is watching on 11:54 - Feb 20 by Elward

I got a video doorbell, among other items. It benefits me. Have fun looking at my driveway I guess?

Maybe some crooks will hack in and monitor your movements so they know the best time to break in?

Why would a society that doesn't want the government to have all this surveillance capability be alright with private businesses having it? I'll keep asking that question until someone can adequately answer it. Bearing in mind those businesses will probably allow security services access to the footage.

Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?

Big brother is watching on 21:09 - Feb 20 with 1830 viewsFlashberryjack

Big brother is watching on 23:17 - Feb 19 by Thrasher6

sophomania = A delusion of having superior intelligence.

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

Big brother is watching on 21:45 - Feb 20 with 1811 viewsCatullus

Big brother is watching on 21:09 - Feb 20 by Flashberryjack

sophomania = A delusion of having superior intelligence.

There's a few pantomaths on here as well, me, I know what I know which is a small percentage of a fraction of a tiny bit. In other words feck all

Big brother is watching on 21:52 - Feb 20 with 1800 viewsNeath_Jack

Big brother is watching on 11:54 - Feb 20 by Elward

Driveway? How very Tory.

I want a mate like Flashberryjacks, who wears a Barnsley jersey with "Swans are my second team" on the back.
Poll: Would you support military action against Syria on what we know so far?

Big brother is watching on 08:44 - Feb 21 with 1718 viewsElward

Big brother is watching on 20:46 - Feb 20 by Catullus

Maybe some crooks will hack in and monitor your movements so they know the best time to break in?

Why would a society that doesn't want the government to have all this surveillance capability be alright with private businesses having it? I'll keep asking that question until someone can adequately answer it. Bearing in mind those businesses will probably allow security services access to the footage.

Not impossible no, however it does have 2 factor authentication, so if someone does manage to guess my password, they still need to then be able to retrieve the temporary code from my phone as well which has a short duration to be used. In terms of checking movement of when I'm out the house, it's not that much different to the traditional way of just staking out a property. Atleast with that you can generally tell if people are home or not whereas with a doorbell you can only see facing out at what it's pointed towards.
Big brother is watching on 09:30 - Feb 21 with 1690 viewsEbo

This is really not good. Not the Brexit YOU voted for

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2020/feb/20/uk-google-users-to-lose-eu-gd

Thank you, goodnight and bollocks
Poll: What couldn't you live without?

Big brother is watching on 10:40 - Feb 21 with 1667 viewsCatullus

Big brother is watching on 08:44 - Feb 21 by Elward

Not impossible no, however it does have 2 factor authentication, so if someone does manage to guess my password, they still need to then be able to retrieve the temporary code from my phone as well which has a short duration to be used. In terms of checking movement of when I'm out the house, it's not that much different to the traditional way of just staking out a property. Atleast with that you can generally tell if people are home or not whereas with a doorbell you can only see facing out at what it's pointed towards.

If a kid in bedroom somewhere in England can hack into the Pentagon, I'm sure a criminal hacker can find a way into a doorbell. It's not like big corporations never get hacked.

Just this morning I was prompted to change my email password because there was activity in another country, unauthorised log in.
It's not just about criminality though, it's about trust, do you trust Amazon? They are data miners, they want your data as much as your money because the more data they obtain the more they can increase their profits.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024