Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Not in the public interest. Who gets to make that call? 13:58 - Feb 23 with 1750 viewsLohengrin

When Robinson’s crowd make claims of an establishment cover up Liberal commentators dismiss it as conspiracy theory bunkum.

Then this happens...

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/grooming-gang-rotherham-review-h

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Not in the public interest. Who gets to make that call? on 14:24 - Feb 23 with 1352 viewsexiledclaseboy

Ministers.

Poll: Tory leader

Not in the public interest. Who gets to make that call? on 14:47 - Feb 23 with 1326 viewsLohengrin

Not in the public interest. Who gets to make that call? on 14:24 - Feb 23 by exiledclaseboy

Ministers.

The question was rhetorical, Sir Andrew.

Not in the public interest. Who gets to make that call? on 14:52 - Feb 23 with 1312 viewsexiledclaseboy

Not in the public interest. Who gets to make that call? on 14:47 - Feb 23 by Lohengrin

The question was rhetorical, Sir Andrew.

Oh right. I’m going to double down anyway. In most cases the public interest test is applied and signed off by officials. But given the profile of this one I’d be amazed if the relevant minister didn’t sign off on it. If that didn’t happen and the first the relevant minister has heard if this was in today’s papers, someone is in a whole heap of trouble tomorrow.

Not in the public interest. Who gets to make that call? on 14:52 - Feb 23 with 1311 viewsCatullus

Who gets to decide who gets to decide?

I suppose it depends on the outcome of it all but maybe they are afraid of stoking up more racial tension. The last thing we need is more reasons to hate each other.
Or maybe the investigation has uncovered gross negligence and the people at the top of it all don't want us finding out the truth, so not in THEIR interest?

I guess it's hard to call unless you know all the facts and they rarely tell us enough of those. They tell us what they want us to know.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Not in the public interest. Who gets to make that call? on 14:53 - Feb 23 with 1303 viewsHighjack

19000 suspected incidents in one year? And those are just the ones they know about.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Not in the public interest. Who gets to make that call? on 15:14 - Feb 23 with 1266 viewsLohengrin

Not in the public interest. Who gets to make that call? on 14:52 - Feb 23 by exiledclaseboy

Oh right. I’m going to double down anyway. In most cases the public interest test is applied and signed off by officials. But given the profile of this one I’d be amazed if the relevant minister didn’t sign off on it. If that didn’t happen and the first the relevant minister has heard if this was in today’s papers, someone is in a whole heap of trouble tomorrow.

The relevant Minister being Patel? You know it wouldn’t surprise me at all if this had been leaked by a fairly senior civil servant in order to ‘return the serve,’ so to speak. She seems to have made herself fairly loathed in record time if the reports I’ve been hearing are to be believed?

Not in the public interest. Who gets to make that call? on 15:22 - Feb 23 with 1255 viewsexiledclaseboy

Not in the public interest. Who gets to make that call? on 15:14 - Feb 23 by Lohengrin

The relevant Minister being Patel? You know it wouldn’t surprise me at all if this had been leaked by a fairly senior civil servant in order to ‘return the serve,’ so to speak. She seems to have made herself fairly loathed in record time if the reports I’ve been hearing are to be believed?

Would usually be a junior minister but it could have been the Home Secretary. And the second part of your post wouldn’t surprise me either. It occurred to me when reading the article. Another theory is that ministers could have ordered the leak themselves so that they have an excuse to oust the permanent secretary Patel loathes so much.

Not in the public interest. Who gets to make that call? on 15:23 - Feb 23 with 1248 viewsLohengrin

Not in the public interest. Who gets to make that call? on 15:22 - Feb 23 by exiledclaseboy

Would usually be a junior minister but it could have been the Home Secretary. And the second part of your post wouldn’t surprise me either. It occurred to me when reading the article. Another theory is that ministers could have ordered the leak themselves so that they have an excuse to oust the permanent secretary Patel loathes so much.

It’s enough to make Machiavelli blush...

Login to get fewer ads

Not in the public interest. Who gets to make that call? on 15:30 - Feb 23 with 1234 viewsKilkennyjack

Of course its in the public interest to publish.

How can anyone think anything else ?

Beware of the Risen People

Not in the public interest. Who gets to make that call? on 15:37 - Feb 23 with 1216 viewsHighjack

Not in the public interest. Who gets to make that call? on 15:22 - Feb 23 by exiledclaseboy

Isn’t that technically tinfoil hattery?

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.

Not in the public interest. Who gets to make that call? on 15:37 - Feb 23 with 1216 viewsexiledclaseboy

Not in the public interest. Who gets to make that call? on 15:37 - Feb 23 by Highjack

Isn’t that technically tinfoil hattery?

If you like. I’m not bothered either way.

Not in the public interest. Who gets to make that call? on 15:38 - Feb 23 with 1215 viewsexiledclaseboy

Not in the public interest. Who gets to make that call? on 15:23 - Feb 23 by Lohengrin

The Home Office certainly seems like a nest of vipers at the moment.
[Post edited 23 Feb 2020 15:38]

Not in the public interest. Who gets to make that call? on 15:42 - Feb 23 with 1197 viewsHighjack

Not in the public interest. Who gets to make that call? on 15:30 - Feb 23 by Kilkennyjack

Of course its in the public interest to publish.

How can anyone think anything else ?

It’s a strange one isn’t it? You’d think it would be politically beneficial for the Tories to release it, particularly when a lot of the local authorities that covered it up were labour run. Perhaps they are waiting for the new leader to be in place. It would be even more beneficial if it is Starmer who was in charge of the CPS at the time of a lot of it.

Not in the public interest. Who gets to make that call? on 15:43 - Feb 23 with 1194 viewsHighjack

Not in the public interest. Who gets to make that call? on 15:37 - Feb 23 by exiledclaseboy

If you like. I’m not bothered either way.

Excellent. I love a bit of tinfoil hattery on a Sunday.

Not in the public interest. Who gets to make that call? on 15:43 - Feb 23 with 1198 viewsLohengrin

Not in the public interest. Who gets to make that call? on 15:38 - Feb 23 by exiledclaseboy

The Home Office certainly seems like a nest of vipers at the moment.
[Post edited 23 Feb 2020 15:38]

That sort of contumacious atmosphere has to make the actual processes of governance trying, to say the least.

Not in the public interest. Who gets to make that call? on 15:45 - Feb 23 with 1187 viewsexiledclaseboy

Not in the public interest. Who gets to make that call? on 15:43 - Feb 23 by Lohengrin

That sort of contumacious atmosphere has to make the actual processes of governance trying, to say the least.

To be fair, the Home Office has been dysfunctional for years. Decades even.

Edited to add - apparently the Secretary of State isn’t big on the rule of law. In which case her officials are perfectly within their rights to bring her back in line. Or at least attempt to.
[Post edited 23 Feb 2020 15:47]

Not in the public interest. Who gets to make that call? on 21:40 - Feb 23 with 961 viewsmonmouth

Not in the public interest. Who gets to make that call? on 15:45 - Feb 23 by exiledclaseboy

To be fair, the Home Office has been dysfunctional for years. Decades even.

Edited to add - apparently the Secretary of State isn’t big on the rule of law. In which case her officials are perfectly within their rights to bring her back in line. Or at least attempt to.
[Post edited 23 Feb 2020 15:47]

My best mate was verysenior under Reid and Smith. He said the whole place was a pile of shit. He ended up (not metaphorically) banging his head on the table at one meeting with the utter impossibility of trying to get anyone to be effective at what they did, or even to actually do anything. He decided on early retirement that very day.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Not in the public interest. Who gets to make that call? on 17:30 - Feb 24 with 777 viewsLohengrin

Not in the public interest. Who gets to make that call? on 21:40 - Feb 23 by monmouth

My best mate was verysenior under Reid and Smith. He said the whole place was a pile of shit. He ended up (not metaphorically) banging his head on the table at one meeting with the utter impossibility of trying to get anyone to be effective at what they did, or even to actually do anything. He decided on early retirement that very day.

The wife’s cousin holds a senior position at Whitehall, not the HO. With my childlike trust I’d taken it for granted that his department ran with professional competence and clockwork efficiency.

When I said something similar at a wedding to him recently he looked at me with a mixture of sympathy and astonishment. I should have known better, really. As a kid I took it for granted that MPs were an intellectual elite... than I started to meet them.

Not in the public interest. Who gets to make that call? on 17:48 - Feb 24 with 764 viewsCatullus

Not in the public interest. Who gets to make that call? on 17:30 - Feb 24 by Lohengrin

The wife’s cousin holds a senior position at Whitehall, not the HO. With my childlike trust I’d taken it for granted that his department ran with professional competence and clockwork efficiency.

When I said something similar at a wedding to him recently he looked at me with a mixture of sympathy and astonishment. I should have known better, really. As a kid I took it for granted that MPs were an intellectual elite... than I started to meet them.

The best argument against democracy is a 5 minute chat with your average MP.

NB, Churchill very definitely did not say that.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Not in the public interest. Who gets to make that call? on 18:32 - Feb 24 with 741 viewsHighjack

Not in the public interest. Who gets to make that call? on 17:48 - Feb 24 by Catullus

He did, but only in theory at least.

Not in the public interest. Who gets to make that call? on 18:49 - Feb 24 with 717 viewstheloneranger

Imagine being this young boys family?? ...

"Christopher Kapessa Drowned in the River Cynon, in South Wales Last Year."

"The CPS said there was no "public interest" to bring a manslaughter case despite "sufficient evidence".

"In a letter to the family, the CPS said there was 'sufficient evidence to support a charge of unlawful act of manslaughter"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-51611880

Everyday above ground ... Is a good day! 😎

Not in the public interest. Who gets to make that call? on 19:48 - Feb 24 with 680 viewsexiledclaseboy

Not in the public interest. Who gets to make that call? on 15:23 - Feb 23 by Lohengrin

Strongly worded email from the Cabinet Secretary today warning officials about briefing the press.
[Post edited 24 Feb 2020 19:53]

Not in the public interest. Who gets to make that call? on 20:22 - Feb 24 with 662 viewsDr_Winston

Not in the public interest. Who gets to make that call? on 17:48 - Feb 24 by Catullus

I've met both central Swansea MP's. If anything you're understating it.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Not in the public interest. Who gets to make that call? on 20:23 - Feb 24 with 659 viewsexiledclaseboy

Not in the public interest. Who gets to make that call? on 20:22 - Feb 24 by Dr_Winston

I've met both central Swansea MP's. If anything you're understating it.

Yeah but they were at an immediate disadvantage when meeting you on account of them not being Tories.

Not in the public interest. Who gets to make that call? on 20:27 - Feb 24 with 653 viewsDr_Winston

Not in the public interest. Who gets to make that call? on 20:23 - Feb 24 by exiledclaseboy

Yeah but they were at an immediate disadvantage when meeting you on account of them not being Tories.

So you keep saying. Despite me never voting Tory. Ever.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024