Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Funeral Cost Scaremongering 09:15 - Feb 25 with 3100 viewsSTID2017

I keep getting adverts, emails, etc regarding the cost of funerals.
All are along the lines of "Funerals have gone up by 300%"
Having been involved in three fairly recently, the average cost in our area is about £3k, yet these ads are suggesting the cost has risen to about £9k.
Those who short of money and worried about these things are being frightened into taking out costly funeral plans.
It is nothing short of criminal

"Sanity and happiness are an impossible combination" - Mark Twain
Poll: Who Would You Want As Captain For Swans ?

Funeral Cost Scaremongering on 09:32 - Feb 25 with 2581 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk/en/articles/how-much-does-a-funeral-cost

Besian Idrizaj Forever a Jack
Poll: When will Duff Revert to 4 at the Back

Funeral Cost Scaremongering on 09:33 - Feb 25 with 2581 viewsCatullus

I keep getting emails and pop up ads too, it is bad.

Myself and my wife took a decision not to have a funeral at all, we have got the forms to register with Cardiff school of medicine to donate our bodies when we are gone.

Apart from the obvious of saving our son the trouble and expense, the empty shells can be put to good use training future doctors/surgeons etc and thet will cremate the body at the end of its use too.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Funeral Cost Scaremongering on 09:50 - Feb 25 with 2554 viewsCountyJim

Funeral Cost Scaremongering on 09:33 - Feb 25 by Catullus

Myself and my wife took a decision not to have a funeral at all, we have got the forms to register with Cardiff school of medicine to donate our bodies when we are gone.

Apart from the obvious of saving our son the trouble and expense, the empty shells can be put to good use training future doctors/surgeons etc and thet will cremate the body at the end of its use too.

I know a chap who did that donated his body ok that where his wishes but the family felt as though they couldn't grive without a final send off it was months before the body was released

It's ok saying it's an empty shell but you need to think of your family as well

On a similar note has anyone seen the bodyfarm where people's bodies are left out in fields etc for people to train on forensic training

Very interesting mind
Funeral Cost Scaremongering on 10:02 - Feb 25 with 2547 viewsCatullus

Funeral Cost Scaremongering on 09:50 - Feb 25 by CountyJim

I know a chap who did that donated his body ok that where his wishes but the family felt as though they couldn't grive without a final send off it was months before the body was released

It's ok saying it's an empty shell but you need to think of your family as well

On a similar note has anyone seen the bodyfarm where people's bodies are left out in fields etc for people to train on forensic training

Very interesting mind

I am thinking of my family, those I care about. Our son is eleven and we have already discussed it with him.
Everybody grieves but you don't need a funeral to do so. Many people struggle with the expense of a funeral and, in the maybe optimistic hope of seeing grandchildren, I would much prefer he spent whatever money there is on the living rather than the dead.

A long while back I saw a news item about a dying parent who wrote a book for their kid and I decided to do similar. It's not a book, just a letter really, a fairly long letter. I hope that will be the focal point for his grief, something he can back to and read. I still add to it and hiefuly will for a long while yet.

So I am thinking about my family, just from a different perspective to you.

Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?

Funeral Cost Scaremongering on 10:21 - Feb 25 with 2533 viewslifelong

My mother died of breast cancer when she was 60 in the early 1970’s and she donated her body for medical research.
It was a fairy simple process and we held a memorial service for her rather than a funeral, we were very proud of her that she chose this course of action.
Funeral Cost Scaremongering on 11:32 - Feb 25 with 2492 viewsProfessor

Funeral Cost Scaremongering on 10:21 - Feb 25 by lifelong

My mother died of breast cancer when she was 60 in the early 1970’s and she donated her body for medical research.
It was a fairy simple process and we held a memorial service for her rather than a funeral, we were very proud of her that she chose this course of action.

The average cost is about 3k. These ads are just playing on people's mind. A funeral plan is not a bad idea, but look at the cost against putting away money in an ISA etc.
Funeral Cost Scaremongering on 11:53 - Feb 25 with 2484 viewsHighjack

They can do whatever they want with my rotting carcass. I won’t mind.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Funeral Cost Scaremongering on 16:57 - Feb 25 with 2412 viewsTNT

Funeral Cost Scaremongering on 11:53 - Feb 25 by Highjack

cardiff has announced that it already has plenty of fingers.

Poll: Would you make goalposts bigger?

Login to get fewer ads

Funeral Cost Scaremongering on 20:48 - Feb 25 with 2329 viewsSTID2017

Funeral Cost Scaremongering on 11:32 - Feb 25 by Professor

The average cost is about 3k. These ads are just playing on people's mind. A funeral plan is not a bad idea, but look at the cost against putting away money in an ISA etc.

I talked to a lovely funeral director, who advised me honestly that unless I had immediate family and was afraid of leaving them struggling to deal with my funeral, then there was no point in taking out a plan.
He told me as I have enough in the bank to keep it there even though he lost the sale of a plan.

Funeral Cost Scaremongering on 09:19 - Feb 26 with 2235 viewsVincent_Vega

Been scratching my head over this recently, there aren't many religious people around nowadays but we all think a religious service to send us off is appropriate. Why? I understand closure for the family but why a service where the majority of the congregation haven't been church goers for decades if ever.

Boycott Shampoo......Demand Real Poo!!!

Funeral Cost Scaremongering on 09:35 - Feb 26 with 2230 viewsHighjack

Funeral Cost Scaremongering on 09:19 - Feb 26 by Vincent_Vega

Been scratching my head over this recently, there aren't many religious people around nowadays but we all think a religious service to send us off is appropriate. Why? I understand closure for the family but why a service where the majority of the congregation haven't been church goers for decades if ever.

More and more people are having humanist services where they ditch all the God nonsense. My mate had a curious mixture of the last post and Highway to Hell blasting out as they fried him.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Funeral Cost Scaremongering on 09:40 - Feb 26 with 2227 viewsCatullus

That was part of how I came to my choice. We don't do religion, I haven't been to church in a decade and that was for a friends fathers funeral, he didn't do church either btw.

It's tradition or more likely habitual. It's a tradition/habit we are breaking and something we believe everyone should consider.

Funeral Cost Scaremongering on 12:05 - Feb 26 with 2204 viewsSTID2017

Discussed this with my wife a long time ago..
When she passed away we had a humanist funeral which was much more meaningful.
Her father passed away about 10 months later and the family did the same.
Personal choice but they are becoming more the norm now.

Funeral Cost Scaremongering on 12:21 - Feb 26 with 2199 viewsSwanjaxs

Funeral Cost Scaremongering on 12:05 - Feb 26 by STID2017

Discussed this with my wife a long time ago..
When she passed away we had a humanist funeral which was much more meaningful.
Her father passed away about 10 months later and the family did the same.
Personal choice but they are becoming more the norm now.

My mum had a humanist funeral 10 years ago, I will have the same when my time comes.

Absolutely no religion involved, but the gentleman who took the service catered for anyone with beliefs and gave over two minutes of the service for anyone who wanted to say a silent prayer.

You might think I've forgotten, but one day, when you least expect it, my time will come.
Poll: Celtic and Rangers should be fast tracked into the Championship ASAP

Funeral Cost Scaremongering on 18:43 - Feb 26 with 2139 viewsNeath_Jack

Funeral Cost Scaremongering on 11:53 - Feb 25 by Highjack

I'm the same, lob me in the Ferry canal for all I care.

I want a mate like Flashberryjacks, who wears a Barnsley jersey with "Swans are my second team" on the back.
Poll: Would you support military action against Syria on what we know so far?

Funeral Cost Scaremongering on 18:52 - Feb 26 with 2135 viewsWarwickHunt

Funeral Cost Scaremongering on 12:21 - Feb 26 by Swanjaxs

My mum had a humanist funeral 10 years ago, I will have the same when my time comes.

Absolutely no religion involved, but the gentleman who took the service catered for anyone with beliefs and gave over two minutes of the service for anyone who wanted to say a silent prayer.

A mate died young (melanoma) leaving his wife to deal with three teenage kids with varying degrees of autism from mild to severe and deaf mute. Had to sit through the bullshit platitudes about how he was in a better place now he was with God blah fûcking blah

Insulting to anyone with half a brain. Humanist funerals celebrate life and don’t patronise the families of the departed.
Funeral Cost Scaremongering on 20:04 - Feb 26 with 2096 viewsGlastonbury

Be careful mate. Only 3% of bodies get accepted at the time but a funeral plan as a back up and at least if u don't need a funeral the NOK gets the money back
Funeral Cost Scaremongering on 20:06 - Feb 26 with 2094 viewsGlastonbury

Funeral Cost Scaremongering on 11:32 - Feb 25 by Professor

The funeral directors prices go up a lot more than an ISA he right FP is good idea ps I sell them lol
Funeral Cost Scaremongering on 20:14 - Feb 26 with 2089 viewsmonmouth

Buried my father last year, £50 for a good shovel and half a days work.

Ok, I know, bad taste, but he would have liked it.

Had to suffer all the God shit, as that's what he wanted but the creepy and smarmy vicar had never met him and basically read out my words. I'm intereted in alternatives as I hate all that bollocks. I'd quite like to be stuffed, pickled and sat in my seat at the Liberty.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Funeral Cost Scaremongering on 20:43 - Feb 26 with 2077 viewslifelong

Funeral Cost Scaremongering on 20:14 - Feb 26 by monmouth

Buried my father last year, £50 for a good shovel and half a days work.

Ok, I know, bad taste, but he would have liked it.

Had to suffer all the God shit, as that's what he wanted but the creepy and smarmy vicar had never met him and basically read out my words. I'm intereted in alternatives as I hate all that bollocks. I'd quite like to be stuffed, pickled and sat in my seat at the Liberty.

If you want to be stuffed Mon, it can be arranged. 👍
Funeral Cost Scaremongering on 20:52 - Feb 26 with 2066 viewsCatullus

Funeral Cost Scaremongering on 20:04 - Feb 26 by Glastonbury

Be careful mate. Only 3% of bodies get accepted at the time but a funeral plan as a back up and at least if u don't need a funeral the NOK gets the money back

I'll be ok thanks, the life insurance will cover all the costs. I've read the info and I know it depends how I die, eg if It's a car crash and my body is mangled it won't be accepted.

Funeral Cost Scaremongering on 22:44 - Feb 26 with 2037 viewsDJack

Funeral Cost Scaremongering on 20:43 - Feb 26 by lifelong

If you want to be stuffed Mon, it can be arranged. 👍

At least buy him a drink/flowers first Lifey.

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan

Funeral Cost Scaremongering on 10:34 - Feb 27 with 1973 viewspembsjack

I recently had the unenvious task in helping to arrange my father in laws funeral. Horrible to have to think about money at a time like that, but we shared the cost with other family members and it was manageable. If you go for all the added extras costs will spiral, couldn't believe when we got the itemised bill that the directors charged us nearly £100 to meet us at the cemetery to choose the plot!
Funeral Cost Scaremongering on 11:10 - Feb 27 with 1959 viewsCountyJim

I read somewhere that you can do a cremation for less than 1k if you know someone with a van they can pick up the body from mortury and take it straight to crematorium no service there just straight in burner
You need paper work obviously from coroner to hand to mortury staff
Funeral Cost Scaremongering on 12:53 - Feb 27 with 1933 viewsSwanjaxs

Funeral Cost Scaremongering on 11:10 - Feb 27 by CountyJim

I read somewhere that you can do a cremation for less than 1k if you know someone with a van they can pick up the body from mortury and take it straight to crematorium no service there just straight in burner
You need paper work obviously from coroner to hand to mortury staff

Has it got to be a van?

What about a roof rack?

You might think I've forgotten, but one day, when you least expect it, my time will come.
Poll: Celtic and Rangers should be fast tracked into the Championship ASAP

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024