Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
For anybody interested in The Falkands War, especially ex-Naval bods. 13:29 - Feb 27 with 2867 viewsLohengrin

If you’ve got an hour to spare there’s a great talk Rear Adm. Chris Parry delivered at the US Naval War College a few years ago for you here.

I’ve thoroughly enjoyed myself listening to this. Proper history: Insightful, honest and direct.

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

For anybody interested in The Falkands War, especially ex-Naval bods. on 23:34 - Feb 27 with 1979 viewsSgorioFruit

I’ll watch that tomorrow when I got some peace.
I was down there in 2002.
Ex RAF

My methods are not favoured by some but by god i speak the truth.
Poll: What Happened Today???

For anybody interested in The Falkands War, especially ex-Naval bods. on 19:20 - Feb 28 with 1866 viewsSgorioFruit

Diolch Loh

a good watch

My methods are not favoured by some but by god i speak the truth.
Poll: What Happened Today???

For anybody interested in The Falkands War, especially ex-Naval bods. on 22:25 - Feb 28 with 1823 viewssherpajacob

I've had the good fortune to spend many long hours in 1-1 conversation with the commander of HMS Conqueror.

A first class gentlemen of the highest order.

Poll: Your favourite ever Swans shirt sponsor?

For anybody interested in The Falkands War, especially ex-Naval bods. on 22:31 - Feb 28 with 1820 viewsDr_Winston

For anybody interested in The Falkands War, especially ex-Naval bods. on 22:25 - Feb 28 by sherpajacob

I've had the good fortune to spend many long hours in 1-1 conversation with the commander of HMS Conqueror.

A first class gentlemen of the highest order.

Still the only Nuclear Powered submarine to sink an enemy vessel I believe.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

For anybody interested in The Falkands War, especially ex-Naval bods. on 22:51 - Feb 28 with 1812 views1462jack

Loh were you in the Falklands back in 82 ? St David’s day Sunday Windsor you ever make appearances ?
For anybody interested in The Falkands War, especially ex-Naval bods. on 23:13 - Feb 28 with 1793 viewssherpajacob

For anybody interested in The Falkands War, especially ex-Naval bods. on 22:31 - Feb 28 by Dr_Winston

Still the only Nuclear Powered submarine to sink an enemy vessel I believe.

I believe that is true. Although they used conventional torpedoes to sink a cruiser commissioned in 1938.

https://nationalinterest.org/blog/buzz/wild-nuclear-powered-submarines-have-only

Poll: Your favourite ever Swans shirt sponsor?

For anybody interested in The Falkands War, especially ex-Naval bods. on 04:37 - Feb 29 with 1744 viewsCaptain_Sham

The whole thing kicked off on my 12th birthday. Remember being glued to the news every night and swore I was going to be Tornado pilot one day. (Nope)
I collected the Marshall Cavendish magazine series that released the year after. Still on my mantlepiece

Its just a ride.

For anybody interested in The Falkands War, especially ex-Naval bods. on 08:34 - Feb 29 with 1686 viewsDr_Winston

For anybody interested in The Falkands War, especially ex-Naval bods. on 23:13 - Feb 28 by sherpajacob

I believe that is true. Although they used conventional torpedoes to sink a cruiser commissioned in 1938.

https://nationalinterest.org/blog/buzz/wild-nuclear-powered-submarines-have-only

Yeah. The Belgrano surviving Pearl Harbour was something I didn't know until relatively recently.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Login to get fewer ads

For anybody interested in The Falkands War, especially ex-Naval bods. on 08:40 - Feb 29 with 1686 viewsepaul

Nice one Loh, I'll watch this later, I joined just after the Falklands, my views on the "conflict" are known..... Best time of my life in the mob, as for Mr Wreford-Brown, he was given command of Hms Cornwall the finest ship I served on as reward for his efforts in the south atlantic. One night out in Gib I did ask him why he sunk the Belgrano and according to his steward he gave me a very good answer(I was a bit 3 sheets the time) and apparently he was impressed I had the guts to ask him as no one ever had

Happy days

The hair and the beard have gone I am now conforming to society, tis a sad day The b*stards are coming back though

For anybody interested in The Falkands War, especially ex-Naval bods. on 12:14 - Mar 1 with 1555 viewsLohengrin

For anybody interested in The Falkands War, especially ex-Naval bods. on 22:51 - Feb 28 by 1462jack

Loh were you in the Falklands back in 82 ? St David’s day Sunday Windsor you ever make appearances ?

Too young to have gone South, mate. I hadn’t left school in ‘82.

Have a good ‘un today. Try not to get too drunk tonight if you’re working in the morning.

For anybody interested in The Falkands War, especially ex-Naval bods. on 16:35 - Mar 1 with 1512 viewsdickythorpe

Thanks Loh, I passed this on to my mate who is 24 and in his second year in the navy. I'm now 43 and worked with him for 2 years.
He soaks up all the history and I've ordered Parry's "Down South" diary off Amazon, used hardback.

[Post edited 1 Mar 2020 16:36]
For anybody interested in The Falkands War, especially ex-Naval bods. on 16:45 - Mar 1 with 1500 viewsNeath_Jack

For anybody interested in The Falkands War, especially ex-Naval bods. on 16:35 - Mar 1 by dickythorpe

Thanks Loh, I passed this on to my mate who is 24 and in his second year in the navy. I'm now 43 and worked with him for 2 years.
He soaks up all the history and I've ordered Parry's "Down South" diary off Amazon, used hardback.

[Post edited 1 Mar 2020 16:36]

The best book on the Falklands in my opinion, is 3 Days In June.

It's by various soldiers of 3 Para and their battle for Mount Longdon. A very sobering read.

I must have read 20+ on the Falklands, and this one stands out head and shoulders above the rest.

I want a mate like Flashberryjacks, who wears a Barnsley jersey with "Swans are my second team" on the back.
Poll: Would you support military action against Syria on what we know so far?

For anybody interested in The Falkands War, especially ex-Naval bods. on 21:19 - Mar 1 with 1445 viewsHumpty

Cheers Loh, watched it last night. Very interesting.

I wasn't aware of the MP in the commons disclosing that we were reading Argentina's coded messages. Absolutely unbelievable a man in his position could do that.
For anybody interested in The Falkands War, especially ex-Naval bods. on 21:33 - Mar 1 with 1440 viewsLohengrin

For anybody interested in The Falkands War, especially ex-Naval bods. on 21:19 - Mar 1 by Humpty

Cheers Loh, watched it last night. Very interesting.

I wasn't aware of the MP in the commons disclosing that we were reading Argentina's coded messages. Absolutely unbelievable a man in his position could do that.

Ted Rowlands, then Labour MP for Merthyr. One of Benn’s circle. Former member of the Young Communist League.

Don’t you just love them, eh?

For anybody interested in The Falkands War, especially ex-Naval bods. on 21:45 - Mar 1 with 1427 viewsHumpty

For anybody interested in The Falkands War, especially ex-Naval bods. on 21:33 - Mar 1 by Lohengrin

Ted Rowlands, then Labour MP for Merthyr. One of Benn’s circle. Former member of the Young Communist League.

Don’t you just love them, eh?

Yeah I had to look it up. Unforgivable.
For anybody interested in The Falkands War, especially ex-Naval bods. on 21:56 - Mar 1 with 1417 viewsLohengrin

For anybody interested in The Falkands War, especially ex-Naval bods. on 21:45 - Mar 1 by Humpty

Yeah I had to look it up. Unforgivable.

I’m surprised that you’re surprised, Hump. Where have you been?

All these years you have been reading me rail against the red on here, did you think it was all a figment of my overwrought imagination? Monsters were and are real. They really do mean harm, I wasn’t exaggerating anything.

For anybody interested in The Falkands War, especially ex-Naval bods. on 23:21 - Mar 1 with 1385 viewsHumpty

For anybody interested in The Falkands War, especially ex-Naval bods. on 21:56 - Mar 1 by Lohengrin

I’m surprised that you’re surprised, Hump. Where have you been?

All these years you have been reading me rail against the red on here, did you think it was all a figment of my overwrought imagination? Monsters were and are real. They really do mean harm, I wasn’t exaggerating anything.

Nah. He was a Baron mun. Can't have been that bad.
For anybody interested in The Falkands War, especially ex-Naval bods. on 23:26 - Mar 1 with 1383 viewsLohengrin

For anybody interested in The Falkands War, especially ex-Naval bods. on 23:21 - Mar 1 by Humpty

Nah. He was a Baron mun. Can't have been that bad.

They sell themselves in the end when all else has been betrayed.

For anybody interested in The Falkands War, especially ex-Naval bods. on 23:31 - Mar 1 with 1378 viewsHumpty

For anybody interested in The Falkands War, especially ex-Naval bods. on 23:26 - Mar 1 by Lohengrin

They sell themselves in the end when all else has been betrayed.

Did Baron Rowlands ever give an explanation for his actions?
For anybody interested in The Falkands War, especially ex-Naval bods. on 23:33 - Mar 1 with 1376 viewsLohengrin

For anybody interested in The Falkands War, especially ex-Naval bods. on 23:31 - Mar 1 by Humpty

Did Baron Rowlands ever give an explanation for his actions?

No. How do you think he could have salved his conscience given that there were sons of Merthyr on The Galahad? Did he have a conscience? I doubt it.

For anybody interested in The Falkands War, especially ex-Naval bods. on 19:57 - Mar 2 with 1261 viewsunion_jack

An excellent video. Thanks.

When he started talking about the SAS wanting to land on that glacier, I thought he was going to say something like although it was impossible and against all advice they took it on and conquered it. I couldn’t believe how scathing he was of them and their intransigence and that they cost them two helicopters and could have been worse.

I’d also like to hear the story about why he didn’t agree with his CO at the time. Has anyone read his diaries and is it mentioned within?

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

For anybody interested in The Falkands War, especially ex-Naval bods. on 20:21 - Mar 2 with 1244 viewsLohengrin

For anybody interested in The Falkands War, especially ex-Naval bods. on 19:57 - Mar 2 by union_jack

An excellent video. Thanks.

When he started talking about the SAS wanting to land on that glacier, I thought he was going to say something like although it was impossible and against all advice they took it on and conquered it. I couldn’t believe how scathing he was of them and their intransigence and that they cost them two helicopters and could have been worse.

I’d also like to hear the story about why he didn’t agree with his CO at the time. Has anyone read his diaries and is it mentioned within?

I’ve read them and yes he does go into detail. The book is a good few years old by now and I doubt it’s still in print, although sourcing a used copy shouldn’t prove too difficult.

For anybody interested in The Falkands War, especially ex-Naval bods. on 20:38 - Mar 2 with 1226 viewsunion_jack

I think Amazon have it so may give it a go.

Just finishing Storm Of Steel by Ernst Jünger about life as a junior officer in the trenches from a German perspective. Recommended (the book not the trenches).

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

For anybody interested in The Falkands War, especially ex-Naval bods. on 20:47 - Mar 2 with 1217 viewsLohengrin

For anybody interested in The Falkands War, especially ex-Naval bods. on 20:38 - Mar 2 by union_jack

I think Amazon have it so may give it a go.

Just finishing Storm Of Steel by Ernst Jünger about life as a junior officer in the trenches from a German perspective. Recommended (the book not the trenches).

Storm of Steel is undoubtedly one of a select handful of first-hand accounts emanating from The Great War that make for essential reading.

For anybody interested in The Falkands War, especially ex-Naval bods. on 20:47 - Mar 2 with 1216 viewsWingstandwood

Here is another good one! Video No 9. Falklands!
https://www.legasee.org.uk/veteran/tom-howard/

Tom was former artillery, airborne forces artillery and airborne forces combat medic. He served during the Northern Ireland troubles and Falklands.

Tom suffered terribly from his Falkland experiences after the war (not on Google or any book) especially after seeing a young teenage Commando being almost ripped in two by a howitzer shell. What really affected Tom was the young kid saying "I want my Mum". Sadly the kid passed away. I think everyone would agree with me that Tom was one top class soldier and a really nice guy to top all that.

Argus!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024