Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Swansea officially the most divided place in Wales 22:01 - Mar 5 with 3513 viewsFieryJack

Bit of a surprise.

Also turns out that it's the 6th most divided area in England and Wales - in terms of the discrepancy between the disposable income of its richest and poorest citizens.

And zooming out from the interactive map in the article below gives you a graphic idea of how poor Wales is.

Pikeyprick, I've no doubt, must live in one of the few dark purple zones.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51742156
Swansea officially the most divided place in Wales on 22:41 - Mar 5 with 3435 viewsWxmJax

Sketty has the biggest disparity between rich and poor in Wales. Not surprised as I've got family there. Them, definitely not me.
[Post edited 5 Mar 2020 22:44]

Poll: England, General Election: How are you going to vote ?

Swansea officially the most divided place in Wales on 09:38 - Mar 6 with 3204 viewsLeonWasGod

Not so surprised given that some areas are amongst the poorest in Europe and then you've got hotspots like the Vale, some bits on South Gower, etc.

Divided in other ways stop - never stop arguing. North v South, Welsh speakers v non-Welsh speakers, Cardiff v Swansea, everyone v Cardiff......
[Post edited 6 Mar 2020 9:38]
Swansea officially the most divided place in Wales on 09:44 - Mar 6 with 3194 viewsBest_loser

Doesn't every place have poor and wealthy areas

Lots in the wealthy areas grew up in the poor ones
Swansea officially the most divided place in Wales on 09:50 - Mar 6 with 3187 viewsCatullus

There are homeless people and poverty stricken people in London, one of the richest cities in the world. How we can Wales be more divided than that?

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Swansea officially the most divided place in Wales on 09:54 - Mar 6 with 3183 viewsdickythorpe

Some areas of Pembs see an incredible divide and extreme differences in income.
Haverfordwest is a poor town, then 2 miles away you have extremely wealthy people just before Broadhaven in Portfield Gate.
Swansea officially the most divided place in Wales on 11:26 - Mar 6 with 3127 viewsSkipTheJack

I suggest anyone who thinks the UK suffers from a gaping wealth gap visits somewhere abroad such as South Africa. In Cape Town you can see either the sprawling gated mansions or the tin-shed shanty towns just by turning your head by a few degrees.
Swansea officially the most divided place in Wales on 12:18 - Mar 6 with 3085 viewspikeypaul

Pikeyprick, I've no doubt, must live in one of the few dark purple zones.

PMSL

I actually live in the 2nd shade of purple but funnily enough have property leased out in the 1st shade that is worth a 1/3rd of my main residence in the 2nd,so I would ignore that chart if i were you.

OUT

AFLI

OUT AFLI SUCK IT UP REMOANER LOSERS 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧
Poll: Where wil Judas be sitting when we play Millwall?

Swansea officially the most divided place in Wales on 12:22 - Mar 6 with 3081 viewsNotLoyal

Swansea officially the most divided place in Wales on 11:26 - Mar 6 by SkipTheJack

I suggest anyone who thinks the UK suffers from a gaping wealth gap visits somewhere abroad such as South Africa. In Cape Town you can see either the sprawling gated mansions or the tin-shed shanty towns just by turning your head by a few degrees.

A necessity born out of the control being given back to those who think they have a divine right to kill by colour indiscriminately.

OK I've changed it.
Poll: The FINALS : Poster of the year 2022

Login to get fewer ads

Swansea officially the most divided place in Wales on 13:21 - Mar 6 with 3014 viewsbennytheblue

Swansea officially the most divided place in Wales on 09:54 - Mar 6 by dickythorpe

Some areas of Pembs see an incredible divide and extreme differences in income.
Haverfordwest is a poor town, then 2 miles away you have extremely wealthy people just before Broadhaven in Portfield Gate.

Really? Extremely wealthy? I wouldn’t say people who live in the havens are wealthy either, the ones with 2nd homes might be though. If you want to see extremes go to Mumbai, on another level I tell you.
Swansea officially the most divided place in Wales on 13:37 - Mar 6 with 2997 viewspikeypaul

Or Rio . amazing city but would not like to be in the favelas.

OUT AFLI SUCK IT UP REMOANER LOSERS 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧
Poll: Where wil Judas be sitting when we play Millwall?

Swansea officially the most divided place in Wales on 13:56 - Mar 6 with 2987 viewsCatullus

Swansea officially the most divided place in Wales on 13:21 - Mar 6 by bennytheblue

Really? Extremely wealthy? I wouldn’t say people who live in the havens are wealthy either, the ones with 2nd homes might be though. If you want to see extremes go to Mumbai, on another level I tell you.

I was born in and grew up in Mumbles and we were far from wealthy.

There was a tv program, can't remember it's title but basically they took people from the UK and swapped them over with someone from a poor country, same job on paper. In reality the job titles was the same (bus driver, refuse collector) but the job itself was very different. The refuse collector (bin man) from over here went from a 40 hour, 5 day week to a slumin Malaysia where he ended up working 12-14 hours per day, 7 days a week and he only had 2 days off a year because he couldn't afford time off.

It was a real eye opener, utterly shocking.

There are people in this country who think they are in poverty and relatively speaking, in the UK they are. Yet take them to other countries and people there would say it was comparative luxury.

Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?

Swansea officially the most divided place in Wales on 17:09 - Mar 6 with 2912 viewsbennytheblue

Swansea officially the most divided place in Wales on 13:56 - Mar 6 by Catullus

I was born in and grew up in Mumbles and we were far from wealthy.

There was a tv program, can't remember it's title but basically they took people from the UK and swapped them over with someone from a poor country, same job on paper. In reality the job titles was the same (bus driver, refuse collector) but the job itself was very different. The refuse collector (bin man) from over here went from a 40 hour, 5 day week to a slumin Malaysia where he ended up working 12-14 hours per day, 7 days a week and he only had 2 days off a year because he couldn't afford time off.

It was a real eye opener, utterly shocking.

There are people in this country who think they are in poverty and relatively speaking, in the UK they are. Yet take them to other countries and people there would say it was comparative luxury.

When you see young girls sleeping on a 2 ft wide bit of concrete separating 6 lanes of busy traffic just because they say it’s safer, you have seen poverty and desperation
Swansea officially the most divided place in Wales on 17:12 - Mar 6 with 2906 viewsbennytheblue

Swansea officially the most divided place in Wales on 22:41 - Mar 5 by WxmJax

Sketty has the biggest disparity between rich and poor in Wales. Not surprised as I've got family there. Them, definitely not me.
[Post edited 5 Mar 2020 22:44]

Bristol will be bad too, such a divided city I noticed when I lived there for 5 years. Clifton, Redlands, cotham, hot Wells all looking down on the rest, literally.
Swansea officially the most divided place in Wales on 18:19 - Mar 6 with 2870 viewsdickythorpe

Swansea officially the most divided place in Wales on 13:21 - Mar 6 by bennytheblue

Talking about Wales pal. Plus some bloke in Broadhaven has just built a £3million house but you know better so I'm out
[Post edited 6 Mar 2020 18:20]
Swansea officially the most divided place in Wales on 19:03 - Mar 6 with 2842 viewsCatullus

Swansea officially the most divided place in Wales on 18:19 - Mar 6 by dickythorpe

Talking about Wales pal. Plus some bloke in Broadhaven has just built a £3million house but you know better so I'm out

There's always been a divide, dicky. When I was 16 a millionaire bought our shop to turn into a luxury, bespoke furniture shop. It had been a lowly sweet shop. We were poor compared to him yet we were from Mumbles which, to people in some parts of Swansea meant we were rich. We never were rich but it's all relative.
The gap has widened a lot since then and when you can walk down a London street and see homeless people begging when millionaire bankers and sportspeople are walking by. When a garage in London is valued at 500k which buys you a relative mansion in South Wales, when a billionaire cuts minimum wage jobs so his business can improve the profit margin and corporations can pay less UK tax than a postman, we all know something has gone badly wrong.
I still say the wealth gap in Swansea is nothing compared to London. How many billionaires live in Swansea?

Swansea officially the most divided place in Wales on 19:16 - Mar 6 with 2832 viewsThebus

What a load of rubbish. Swansea is no different to any other city in the U.K.
Also I’d say 99 % of homelessness in Swansea is the result of alcohol/drug dependency.
[Post edited 6 Mar 2020 19:18]
Swansea officially the most divided place in Wales on 19:50 - Mar 6 with 2791 viewsbennytheblue

Swansea officially the most divided place in Wales on 18:19 - Mar 6 by dickythorpe

Yes I know, my uncle and grandad built a house there in 1975 and I’ve been going there all my life. lived there for a few years and still own the house now. 3 million pound house? If it’s the one on the cliff top that’s enormous and had diggers there for as long as I can remember then maybe. There isn’t many worth over a million down that way. Believe me, I would know.
Swansea officially the most divided place in Wales on 19:56 - Mar 6 with 2779 viewsbennytheblue

Swansea officially the most divided place in Wales on 19:16 - Mar 6 by Thebus

What a load of rubbish. Swansea is no different to any other city in the U.K.
Also I’d say 99 % of homelessness in Swansea is the result of alcohol/drug dependency.
[Post edited 6 Mar 2020 19:18]

Yes a few good suburbs to north for us, lisvane cyncoed Radyr rhiwbina on to to rudry Pentyrch the surrounding posh area like the.vale etc....Bristol has Clifton, redland etc and Swansea has killay and on to the Gower is it? We all have them.
Swansea officially the most divided place in Wales on 20:01 - Mar 6 with 2776 viewsdickythorpe

Swansea officially the most divided place in Wales on 19:50 - Mar 6 by bennytheblue

Yes I know, my uncle and grandad built a house there in 1975 and I’ve been going there all my life. lived there for a few years and still own the house now. 3 million pound house? If it’s the one on the cliff top that’s enormous and had diggers there for as long as I can remember then maybe. There isn’t many worth over a million down that way. Believe me, I would know.

You're not one of those East walian Amroth caravan park owners are you that spoil things in the evenings cos you can't hold your drink?
Swansea officially the most divided place in Wales on 21:17 - Mar 6 with 2717 viewsCatullus

Swansea officially the most divided place in Wales on 19:56 - Mar 6 by bennytheblue

Yes a few good suburbs to north for us, lisvane cyncoed Radyr rhiwbina on to to rudry Pentyrch the surrounding posh area like the.vale etc....Bristol has Clifton, redland etc and Swansea has killay and on to the Gower is it? We all have them.

If we were just talking about Wales, I can't see how Swansea would be more divided than Cardiff. Is someone suggesting the wealth gap is greater down here? Do the poverty stricken in Cardiff own massive houses and expensive cars?
If you live on benefits in Cardiff you are roughly the same as someone in Swansea but as house prices are relatively higher in Cardiff, wouldn't Cardiff be more divided?
Put another way, are the poor in Swansea poorer than in Cardiff and the rich in Swansea richer than the rich in Cardiff?

Swansea officially the most divided place in Wales on 08:03 - Mar 7 with 2610 viewsbennytheblue

Swansea officially the most divided place in Wales on 20:01 - Mar 6 by dickythorpe

You're not one of those East walian Amroth caravan park owners are you that spoil things in the evenings cos you can't hold your drink?

No, not me. Don’t own a caravan and don’t really drink much.👍
Swansea officially the most divided place in Wales on 08:07 - Mar 7 with 2606 viewsbennytheblue

Swansea officially the most divided place in Wales on 21:17 - Mar 6 by Catullus

If we were just talking about Wales, I can't see how Swansea would be more divided than Cardiff. Is someone suggesting the wealth gap is greater down here? Do the poverty stricken in Cardiff own massive houses and expensive cars?
If you live on benefits in Cardiff you are roughly the same as someone in Swansea but as house prices are relatively higher in Cardiff, wouldn't Cardiff be more divided?
Put another way, are the poor in Swansea poorer than in Cardiff and the rich in Swansea richer than the rich in Cardiff?

I’d say there is barely any difference in the cardiff wealth to Swansea or the poor in both areas.
However, there might well be more wealthier folk this way as there are definitely more high end jobs in Cardiff area than Swansea. You only have to see the other threads on investment and jobs to know this. Maybe there is also more hope of non wealthy people landing a decent job over time too.
Swansea officially the most divided place in Wales on 08:45 - Mar 7 with 2584 viewssherpajacob

Swansea officially the most divided place in Wales on 09:44 - Mar 6 by Best_loser

Doesn't every place have poor and wealthy areas

Lots in the wealthy areas grew up in the poor ones

Our house does.

Poll: Your favourite ever Swans shirt sponsor?

Swansea officially the most divided place in Wales on 09:03 - Mar 7 with 2573 viewsBillyChong

Swansea officially the most divided place in Wales on 19:50 - Mar 6 by bennytheblue

Got lost trying to find Trecco Bay did they?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024