Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Corona Virus 22:39 - Mar 7 with 437249 viewsSgorioFruit

Sorry for new thread,
But how bad do you lot reckon it’s going to get here in the UK?
I just been watching the news. Looking nasty in Italy.

My methods are not favoured by some but by god i speak the truth.
Poll: What Happened Today???

Corona Virus on 11:02 - Apr 8 with 2111 viewschad

Corona Virus on 10:48 - Apr 8 by Catullus

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-52212390?intlink_from_url=&link_location

Dinosaurus? Certainly neither fish nor fowl...

As the tragedy of the pandemic became clear Prof Ferrari says he pushed for a special programme directed at combating Covid-19, with the world's best scientists having the resources to fight it with new drugs, vaccines, diagnostic tools and behavioural approaches based on sciences "to replace the oft-improvised intuitions of political leaders".

His proposals were rejected unanimously, he said, by the council's governing body because the ERC funded "bottom-up" research proposed by scientists themselves and did not see the beneficial impact on society as a justification for funding.
Corona Virus on 11:06 - Apr 8 with 2097 viewschad

Corona Virus on 08:22 - Apr 8 by Highjack

I read an article by a woman called Dr Hilary Jones and she said one of the main reasons for this illness being particularly dangerous is because it triggers a response called a Cytokine storm. Basically because we’ve all been exposed so some sort of lesser coronavirus in the past our body sort of knows how to deal with it but not quite, therefore releases far too many cytokines which causes inflammation which is particularly dangerous around the lung area.

It’s believed this is what is causing young, healthy people to die, according to this Hilary bird.

I think this is a well know theory from the 1918 flu pandemic, 80ish years on RNA taken from the dead allowed reproduction of that virus, and in animal experimentation :( the virus was quite clearly observed to produce the Cytokine storm and death. It seems the less agile immune systems offers less protection and v.healthy immune systems can kill you. But with all the other variables v.possibly far from that simple.

That is what I was referring to in this post on 15th March..

What ended the 1918 flu pandemic (that is said to have infected around a third of the worlds population and estimated to have killed between 40 to 100 million)?

Of course the war and different social, economic and scientific conditions existed in 1918, but in the longer term it was unrepresentatively the stronger younger healthy adults that succumbed, Their bodies overloaded by the strength of the reaction of their robust immune systems
Corona Virus on 11:14 - Apr 8 with 2072 viewsairedale

Corona Virus on 10:48 - Apr 8 by Catullus

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-52212390?intlink_from_url=&link_location

I heard he’s working in a car factory now.
Corona Virus on 11:22 - Apr 8 with 2057 viewstheloneranger

Corona Virus on 11:06 - Apr 8 by chad

I think this is a well know theory from the 1918 flu pandemic, 80ish years on RNA taken from the dead allowed reproduction of that virus, and in animal experimentation :( the virus was quite clearly observed to produce the Cytokine storm and death. It seems the less agile immune systems offers less protection and v.healthy immune systems can kill you. But with all the other variables v.possibly far from that simple.

What ended the 1918 flu pandemic (that is said to have infected around a third of the worlds population and estimated to have killed between 40 to 100 million)?

Of course the war and different social, economic and scientific conditions existed in 1918, but in the longer term it was unrepresentatively the stronger younger healthy adults that succumbed, Their bodies overloaded by the strength of the reaction of their robust immune systems

This could also be the reason why very young people (babies and toddlers) are less affected - as their immune systems are less developed and so produce lower levels of inflammation-driving cytokines.

Everyday above ground ... Is a good day! 😎

Corona Virus on 13:09 - Apr 8 with 1977 viewsjasper_T

Corona Virus on 13:30 - Apr 8 with 1941 viewsProfessor

Corona Virus on 11:22 - Apr 8 by theloneranger

This could also be the reason why very young people (babies and toddlers) are less affected - as their immune systems are less developed and so produce lower levels of inflammation-driving cytokines.

One of the subjects I teach is microbial pathogenesis to vets and biologists-disease during infection is either the result of a bug causing damage through a toxin or altering the function of host cells and tissues or the immune response causing damage (usually inflammation) in responding to infection.

Generally if you are young with a naive immune system or old when your immune systems loses function (immunosenescence) then there is increased likelihood of infection. However pathology or damage can be lower in infants as they have less inflammatory function even if the produce cytokines (and chemokines). A classical example is the protozoan parasite Leishmania which leads to both skin and visceral damage caused by inflammation. This does not happen in young kids so nomadic aran tribes traditionally left babies buttocks bare to allow them to be bitten by the carrier, the sandfly, leading to a small lesion but protective immunity.

Cytokine storms are the main drivers of mortality in sepsis and it seems likely in Covid19 such a response to bacteria also present in the lungs is a big part of whether there is progression of disease in the under 70s. It may be that having a better regulatory immune response that controls inflammation is also important.

so yes-in essence this is very plausible
Corona Virus on 13:31 - Apr 8 with 1939 viewsProfessor

Corona Virus on 11:06 - Apr 8 by chad

I think Dr Hilary is in fact a man!
Corona Virus on 13:32 - Apr 8 with 1934 viewsCountyJim

Could be a big test Friday forecast looking very nice could get people out of the house
Login to get fewer ads

Corona Virus on 13:38 - Apr 8 with 1923 viewsraynor94

Lock down to be extended after next week, Mark Drakeford to announce it this afternoon

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

Corona Virus on 14:42 - Apr 8 with 1826 viewsCatullus

https://www.smh.com.au/world/europe/china-should-be-sued-for-6-5-trillion-for-co

There is also a suggestion that while China was covering up how bad things really were, they were covertly buying up medical supplies.

Assume that's true, what can be done? Could Europe succesfully sue China?

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Corona Virus on 14:44 - Apr 8 with 1829 viewsCountyJim

Now being told we have to wear face visors when moving patients on top of any other ppe
Corona Virus on 14:44 - Apr 8 with 1827 viewsHighjack

Corona Virus on 13:38 - Apr 8 by raynor94

Lock down to be extended after next week, Mark Drakeford to announce it this afternoon

Great man. A great, great man.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Corona Virus on 14:45 - Apr 8 with 1810 viewsCatullus

Corona Virus on 14:44 - Apr 8 by Highjack

Great man. A great, great man.

Do you mean a grate man, he looks quite ashen, very grey.

Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?

Corona Virus on 14:46 - Apr 8 with 1817 viewsHighjack

Corona Virus on 13:31 - Apr 8 by Professor

How do you know? She could be a man obviously but then again he could be a woman, or they could be somewhere in between.

It’s a f*cking minefield.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.

Corona Virus on 14:48 - Apr 8 with 1814 viewsDr_Winston

Corona Virus on 13:30 - Apr 8 by Professor

One of the subjects I teach is microbial pathogenesis to vets and biologists-disease during infection is either the result of a bug causing damage through a toxin or altering the function of host cells and tissues or the immune response causing damage (usually inflammation) in responding to infection.

Generally if you are young with a naive immune system or old when your immune systems loses function (immunosenescence) then there is increased likelihood of infection. However pathology or damage can be lower in infants as they have less inflammatory function even if the produce cytokines (and chemokines). A classical example is the protozoan parasite Leishmania which leads to both skin and visceral damage caused by inflammation. This does not happen in young kids so nomadic aran tribes traditionally left babies buttocks bare to allow them to be bitten by the carrier, the sandfly, leading to a small lesion but protective immunity.

Cytokine storms are the main drivers of mortality in sepsis and it seems likely in Covid19 such a response to bacteria also present in the lungs is a big part of whether there is progression of disease in the under 70s. It may be that having a better regulatory immune response that controls inflammation is also important.

so yes-in essence this is very plausible

Leishmania sounds like a temporary form of insanity that affects football club chairmen when considering appointing a useless Scottish manager.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Corona Virus on 15:17 - Apr 8 with 1762 viewschad

His opinion no less viable for that, none the less ;)

I think my post was gender neutral

HJ did refer to him as some woman, but if he was referring to the well known (apparently male) Dr Hilary, he was possibly being facetious- he often is.
Corona Virus on 15:39 - Apr 8 with 1729 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

Corona Virus on 14:48 - Apr 8 by Dr_Winston

Leishmania sounds like a temporary form of insanity that affects football club chairmen when considering appointing a useless Scottish manager.

Easily confused with Brucellosis.
[Post edited 8 Apr 2020 15:39]

Besian Idrizaj Forever a Jack
Poll: When will Duff Revert to 4 at the Back

Corona Virus on 16:06 - Apr 8 with 1696 viewschad

Prof (or anyone else) what do you think of the reports of humans passing the virus on to animals, and (original pandemic initiation event aside) the potential for the reverse?

It has been said that there is no evidence of them (or other animals they may infect) passing it back to humans (however WHO reported a similar thing about human to human transmission).

It seems logical to me (but obviously not a given) that if we can infect animals, with exactly the same virus, then they can return the favour, even if only by stroking them.

it has been reported that a high viral load has been found in the faeces of infected animals (of course a not unreported transmission route with other viruses, especially when aerosolised for e.g. through flushing and via faulty U bends).

When cutting my lawn a couple of weeks ago with a my petrol mower I sliced up up a partially desiccated cat turd, which I could smell strongly, so something was reaching my nose, and presumably the violent slicing would have caused aerosolisation of the cat turd to some extent.

Quite seriously do you think infection back from animals, a potential transmission route? Do you think it appropriate to dismiss this route through lack of evidence, when it is very unlikely that any evidence of this could be provided, given currently it would be almost impossible to say how anyone infected was infected?
Corona Virus on 16:10 - Apr 8 with 1689 viewsHighjack

Corona Virus on 15:17 - Apr 8 by chad

His opinion no less viable for that, none the less ;)

I think my post was gender neutral

HJ did refer to him as some woman, but if he was referring to the well known (apparently male) Dr Hilary, he was possibly being facetious- he often is.

I think it’s incredibly sexist to assume she’s a man just because she’s a doctor.

Corona Virus on 16:19 - Apr 8 with 1667 viewsJoe_bradshaw

Corona Virus on 15:39 - Apr 8 by JACKMANANDBOY

Easily confused with Brucellosis.
[Post edited 8 Apr 2020 15:39]

And Moyesles.

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

Corona Virus on 18:05 - Apr 8 with 1547 viewsmonmouth

Corona Virus on 16:19 - Apr 8 by Joe_bradshaw

And Moyesles.

And Monks

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Corona Virus on 18:10 - Apr 8 with 1533 viewsFlashberryjack

Corona Virus on 13:32 - Apr 8 by CountyJim

Could be a big test Friday forecast looking very nice could get people out of the house

Idiots will be idiots, especially when the sun comes out.

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

Corona Virus on 18:18 - Apr 8 with 1514 viewslifelong

Hearing on the news today that 14 London bus drivers have died with the virus...dreadful.
Corona Virus on 18:47 - Apr 8 with 1444 viewstheloneranger

I think HighJack was ...ing
[Post edited 8 Apr 2020 18:49]

Everyday above ground ... Is a good day! 😎

Corona Virus on 18:52 - Apr 8 with 2180 viewsCatullus

Corona Virus on 18:05 - Apr 8 by monmouth

And Monks

SAMonella

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024