Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Corona Virus 22:39 - Mar 7 with 425144 viewsSgorioFruit

Sorry for new thread,
But how bad do you lot reckon it’s going to get here in the UK?
I just been watching the news. Looking nasty in Italy.

My methods are not favoured by some but by god i speak the truth.
Poll: What Happened Today???

Corona Virus on 12:22 - Apr 10 with 1450 viewsWingstandwood

Corona Virus on 11:43 - Apr 10 by BytholWyn

Good questions (not least because I'm awaiting an Asda home delivery...)
[Post edited 10 Apr 2020 11:45]

I watched a virologist recommend that some items like Cornflakes for example can have outer box/packaging removed and thrown away whilst leaving sealing inner packaging. Wash hands with soap and water for 20 seconds after handling bags, throwing away packaging, and washing items.

This virologist recommended washing/wiping other items that come without outer packaging with either soapy water or disinfecting wipes.

A loaf of bread is harder to wash to adequate standard because the top part where the polythene is tied generally has nooks and crannies because of its ruffled state. I put my bread in the freezer along with plastic container milk. A bit of advice on freezing milk is to empty the container a bit, place standing upright so it does not burst or leak within the freezer.

On long life carton milk? ASDA sells it, I bought some this week and the sell by date is mid November, in store I found it in the cereal shelving area and not within the refrigerated milk section. I've got a little more room in the freezer now! Lessens the need for single item shopping trips. Taste test review.

Argus!

Corona Virus on 12:25 - Apr 10 with 1442 viewsWingstandwood

Corona Virus on 12:22 - Apr 10 by Professor

All good questions. We don’t know the answer to any of this.
1. Whilst genetic material can be detected on a surface for 24 hours or so we don’t know viability in terms of infection
2. We don’t know how much virus is needed to cause disease-the infectious dose
3. We don’t know how domestic fridges and freezers affect the virus

It’s not something I have seen recommended by major researchers in the area but I know some very media savvy (relatively junior) scientists have been saying to do this..

So I genuinely don’t know. I would certainly take care handling and washing hands on receipt of any delivery, but iI can’t see this being a major risk.-Certainly much lower than going to the supermarket . I would say take care and be sensible. I won't Be washing or decanting. Wash all fruit and veg prior to use and wash hands before and after handling food.

Thanks, for your time and input!

Argus!

Corona Virus on 12:28 - Apr 10 with 1444 viewsKilkennyjack

Imagine thinking that the uk could not have possibly prepared better ?

Imagine thinking that to ask questions of the uk govt is to make it political ?
It is political.
Decisions made by govt are now life or death decisions.

This man warned us all .... what can you say given recent events ?
To say its sad seems to understate it all....

Beware of the Risen People

Corona Virus on 12:50 - Apr 10 with 1401 viewsProfessor

Corona Virus on 12:22 - Apr 10 by Professor

All good questions. We don’t know the answer to any of this.
1. Whilst genetic material can be detected on a surface for 24 hours or so we don’t know viability in terms of infection
2. We don’t know how much virus is needed to cause disease-the infectious dose
3. We don’t know how domestic fridges and freezers affect the virus

It’s not something I have seen recommended by major researchers in the area but I know some very media savvy (relatively junior) scientists have been saying to do this..

So I genuinely don’t know. I would certainly take care handling and washing hands on receipt of any delivery, but iI can’t see this being a major risk.-Certainly much lower than going to the supermarket . I would say take care and be sensible. I won't Be washing or decanting. Wash all fruit and veg prior to use and wash hands before and after handling food.

As an update- WHO, FDA, European Food Safety Authority and Food Standards Agency advice is to wash fruit and veg. If you have cereal etc with an inner packet that seems reasonable. Beyond good hygiene the other measures may have as much risk in washing (especially around aerosol formation). This is pretty much standard to avoid food poisoning too.

I think a few people, notably a guy called Chris Smith, have suggested the
More extreme action. Although he is a medical virologist, he is more involved in public understanding of science through his excellent Naked Scientisit podcast/radio show-
I have been on it twice, he is not a coronavirus person by any means. But as a big media presence on TV and radio, he has influenced a lot of people to think this. My wife even.
Other people is by far your biggest risk
Corona Virus on 15:21 - Apr 10 with 1307 views3swan

14:58 on the link below - South Korean patients thought cured test positive again
South Korean health authorities say 91 people thought recovered after contracting coronavirus have tested positive for the disease again.

The Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (KCDC) said on Friday it was not clear why the patients had tested positive for a second time.

KCDC director Jeong Eun-kyeong told a news conference it was possible that the virus had “reactivated” in the patients, as opposed to them being re-infected.

Other health experts suggested the patients may have "relapsed” or been misdiagnosed by faulty tests.

The results will be of keen interest internationally, as health experts worldwide hope people infected by Covid-19 will develop immunity to the disease, allowing them to return to work. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-52239925
Corona Virus on 17:00 - Apr 10 with 1259 viewsJoe_bradshaw

Corona Virus on 15:21 - Apr 10 by 3swan

14:58 on the link below - South Korean patients thought cured test positive again
South Korean health authorities say 91 people thought recovered after contracting coronavirus have tested positive for the disease again.

The Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (KCDC) said on Friday it was not clear why the patients had tested positive for a second time.

KCDC director Jeong Eun-kyeong told a news conference it was possible that the virus had “reactivated” in the patients, as opposed to them being re-infected.

Other health experts suggested the patients may have "relapsed” or been misdiagnosed by faulty tests.

The results will be of keen interest internationally, as health experts worldwide hope people infected by Covid-19 will develop immunity to the disease, allowing them to return to work. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-52239925

South Korea should take a leaf out of North Korea’s book. They haven’t had a single case of Covid-19 in North Korea and hence no fatalities.

Apparently.

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

Corona Virus on 17:09 - Apr 10 with 1248 viewsHighjack

Corona Virus on 17:00 - Apr 10 by Joe_bradshaw

South Korea should take a leaf out of North Korea’s book. They haven’t had a single case of Covid-19 in North Korea and hence no fatalities.

Apparently.

They’ve been on lockdown since 1948.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Corona Virus on 17:31 - Apr 10 with 1193 viewssainthelens

Watching Matt Hancock on today's briefing.
Jesus wept, what a stuttering gibbering bellend.
Login to get fewer ads

Corona Virus on 17:35 - Apr 10 with 1187 viewsJackfath

Corona Virus on 17:31 - Apr 10 by sainthelens

Watching Matt Hancock on today's briefing.
Jesus wept, what a stuttering gibbering bellend.

He's like Jeffrey Fairbrother.

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.
Poll: Should Darran's ban be lifted?

Corona Virus on 17:35 - Apr 10 with 1187 viewsNeath_Jack

Pathetic questions again by the media.

Alistair Campbell suggested 20 questions to ask them in an article i read on Twitter earlier today.

I want a mate like Flashberryjacks, who wears a Barnsley jersey with "Swans are my second team" on the back.
Poll: Would you support military action against Syria on what we know so far?

Corona Virus on 17:37 - Apr 10 with 1176 viewssainthelens

Corona Virus on 17:35 - Apr 10 by Jackfath

brilliant fair play.
Corona Virus on 17:59 - Apr 10 with 1146 viewsraynor94

Corona Virus on 17:35 - Apr 10 by Jackfath

Outstanding

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

Corona Virus on 18:08 - Apr 10 with 1138 viewslifelong

Some of the footage coming out of New York today, mass graves in, what appears to be, derelict land...fecking hell.
Corona Virus on 18:16 - Apr 10 with 1126 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

Corona Virus on 18:08 - Apr 10 by lifelong

Some of the footage coming out of New York today, mass graves in, what appears to be, derelict land...fecking hell.

Very , very sad, and people are still breaking the rules, there are no words.

Besian Idrizaj Forever a Jack
Poll: When will Duff Revert to 4 at the Back

Corona Virus on 18:18 - Apr 10 with 1117 viewsHighjack

Corona Virus on 18:08 - Apr 10 by lifelong

Not surprising considering how densely populated it is. The big cities will always suffer a lot more from things like this, as they did in the time of cholera and the plague.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.

Corona Virus on 18:41 - Apr 10 with 1084 viewscontroversial_jack

8,600 new cases here today.This country is by far the worse, per head of population, and we are an Island.Something isn't right.
Corona Virus on 18:59 - Apr 10 with 1066 viewslondonlisa2001

Corona Virus on 18:41 - Apr 10 by controversial_jack

8,600 new cases here today.This country is by far the worse, per head of population, and we are an Island.Something isn't right.

Today’s numbers include the results from NHS testing and family testing for the first time.

It’s actually an important step forward to include these as it should have happened weeks ago.

On a like for like measure (hospital only) cases are, thankfully, beginning to flatten.

There are hundreds of thousands positive or have had it - it’s all about increasing tests to gather the proper info.
Corona Virus on 19:01 - Apr 10 with 1066 viewsHighjack

Corona Virus on 18:41 - Apr 10 by controversial_jack

Again we are far more densely populated than a lot of countries. When you think of 70 million people on a what is quite a small island and a huge swathes of that population is concentrated in the south east. I think it’s to be expected that we have more cases than other countries where people tend to be further apart.

Corona Virus on 19:32 - Apr 10 with 1037 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

Corona Virus on 19:01 - Apr 10 by Highjack

Again we are far more densely populated than a lot of countries. When you think of 70 million people on a what is quite a small island and a huge swathes of that population is concentrated in the south east. I think it’s to be expected that we have more cases than other countries where people tend to be further apart.

Yes France has a similar population and double the land.

Corona Virus on 19:40 - Apr 10 with 1023 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

Corona Virus on 18:59 - Apr 10 by londonlisa2001

Today’s numbers include the results from NHS testing and family testing for the first time.

It’s actually an important step forward to include these as it should have happened weeks ago.

On a like for like measure (hospital only) cases are, thankfully, beginning to flatten.

There are hundreds of thousands positive or have had it - it’s all about increasing tests to gather the proper info.

The like for like figures in the daily briefing were pretty flat compared to the last few days. I presume these are using the same data collection principles that have been employed from the start.

Corona Virus on 19:40 - Apr 10 with 1023 viewsHighjack

Corona Virus on 19:32 - Apr 10 by JACKMANANDBOY

Yes France has a similar population and double the land.

Yeah but Paris is one of the most densely populated cities in the world so the figures are distorted somewhat. This is why we shouldn’t really be comparing ourselves to other countries as their distribution of people and population densities are far different to ours. Not to mention other factors such as climate, travel etc.

The fact is all contagious diseases will thrive more when people are packed together and/or move around more. We tick the box for both of those in normal times.

Corona Virus on 19:42 - Apr 10 with 1018 viewsDr_Winston

Corona Virus on 19:01 - Apr 10 by Highjack

I've seen comparisons of the UK with Sweden, Norway and New Zealand. Greater London alone has a population not far off any two of those three countries combined.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Corona Virus on 19:44 - Apr 10 with 1012 viewsKilkennyjack

Lions led by donkeys in the UK.

Beware of the Risen People

Corona Virus on 19:50 - Apr 10 with 996 viewsHighjack

Corona Virus on 19:42 - Apr 10 by Dr_Winston

I've seen comparisons of the UK with Sweden, Norway and New Zealand. Greater London alone has a population not far off any two of those three countries combined.

Taking London as an example, you’ve probably got a good eight to ten million people living there and working there with another couple of million moving in and out every day from places like Slough, Reading, Watford for example. Then chuck the tourists in on top of that. Any self respecting virus would be rubbing their filaments with glee at those conditions.

This is what sets the likes of London, Paris and New York apart from a lot of other big cities (apart from the presence of Trotters Independent Traders offices) is the huge amounts of movement in and out, people packed on trains and buses.

Corona Virus on 19:56 - Apr 10 with 1652 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

Corona Virus on 19:44 - Apr 10 by Kilkennyjack

Lions led by donkeys in the UK.

Worth bearing in mind over 90 percent of deaths have underlying health conditions, obesity rate in Japan is less than 3 percent, in the UK it is 29 percent, that's millions of people..

We are a very unhealthy nation with an estimated 50 percent of NHS demand avoidable cardiovascular disease.

We can't carry on like that.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024