Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Corona Virus 22:39 - Mar 7 with 437826 viewsSgorioFruit

Sorry for new thread,
But how bad do you lot reckon it’s going to get here in the UK?
I just been watching the news. Looking nasty in Italy.

My methods are not favoured by some but by god i speak the truth.
Poll: What Happened Today???

Corona Virus on 08:45 - Apr 13 with 3433 viewsKilkennyjack

Corona Virus on 00:52 - Apr 13 by Jack123

Most certainly! Although thinking of it straight after i made that post, it made me think perhaps I am putting too much emphasis on the stats that are being given out for the whole of the UK, like in Swansea we could be a good few weeks away of hitting the peak, or even a month or so? It seems quite hard to to get the stats up for Swansea.

This guy does the daily stats for Wales, including Swansea .... easy to read and understand. Thanks Lloyd.

Beware of the Risen People

Corona Virus on 09:38 - Apr 13 with 3396 viewscockneyswan

I just read this on a website advice for Heathrow arrivals, unbelievable no compulsory checks?
On Arrival — At London Heathrow Airport

Terminals: As of Monday, April 6, Heathrow is moving to single runway operations. Airline operations over the coming weeks will temporarily move from Terminals 3 and 4 into Terminals 2 and 5. All passengers should double-check their arrival and departure terminals, as they may change. British Airways have temporarily moved all of their flights from Terminal 3 to Terminal 5.
Screening: There are currently no temperature checks at UK airports for arriving flights. Heathrow has created of a dedicated, isolated, terminal pier area to be used by Public Health England (PHE) medical professionals while liaising with suspected cases.
Airport Transit: Many local travel partners continue to operate services to and from Heathrow. See transport operator contact details. All National Express coach services are suspended. This includes services between Heathrow and Gatwick.
More information: www.heathrow.com/coronavirus
Corona Virus on 09:58 - Apr 13 with 3372 viewsmajorraglan

Corona Virus on 08:45 - Apr 13 by Kilkennyjack

This guy does the daily stats for Wales, including Swansea .... easy to read and understand. Thanks Lloyd.

I know the PHE break the mortality rates down to areas but it seems PHW and WAG don’t. Personally I would like to see those figures published.
Corona Virus on 10:11 - Apr 13 with 3350 viewsProfessor

Corona Virus on 19:21 - Apr 12 by A_Fans_Dad

Prof, you keep mentioning chloroquine, that is not the one recommended by the US doctors or the French.
It is Hydroxychloroquine, which was introduced when Chloroquine became less effective against Malaria.

Any way if you want to read the article, go here where they have a copy

https://bluntforcetruth.com/news/covid-19-had-us-all-fooled-but-now-we-might-hav

It’s just a hydroxyl group to counter plasmodium resistance. It simply looks like it does not work. Possibly the antibiotic it was used with is helping to prevent bacterial secondary infections and reducing the likelihood of cytokine storms-
Essentially stopping a septic shock reaction. But this is just speculation
Corona Virus on 12:51 - Apr 13 with 3219 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Have the WAG taken the day off? No briefing this lunchtime. Wee Jimmy Krankie is doing hers for Scotland though?

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Corona Virus on 12:53 - Apr 13 with 3225 viewslondonlisa2001

Corona Virus on 10:11 - Apr 13 by Professor

It’s just a hydroxyl group to counter plasmodium resistance. It simply looks like it does not work. Possibly the antibiotic it was used with is helping to prevent bacterial secondary infections and reducing the likelihood of cytokine storms-
Essentially stopping a septic shock reaction. But this is just speculation

On one hand, the science, on the other hand Trump. Who to believe...
Corona Virus on 12:59 - Apr 13 with 3204 viewsKilkennyjack

Corona Virus on 12:51 - Apr 13 by Brynmill_Jack

Have the WAG taken the day off? No briefing this lunchtime. Wee Jimmy Krankie is doing hers for Scotland though?

I think Adam has a point, why has the uk govt stopped wales from testing as it contracted to do ?

UK govt has serious questions to answer.

Beware of the Risen People

Corona Virus on 13:22 - Apr 13 with 3189 viewsPentyrchJack

Corona Virus on 12:59 - Apr 13 by Kilkennyjack

I think Adam has a point, why has the uk govt stopped wales from testing as it contracted to do ?

Was the correspondence about the so called "contract" between WG and Roche ever released????

Poll: Fox Hunting - what do you think?

Login to get fewer ads

Corona Virus on 13:32 - Apr 13 with 3161 viewschad

Corona Virus on 18:29 - Apr 12 by DJack

Incorrect he has pushed some false things.

Yes you can have your opinion and I can provide links to facts when able.

The Prof actually pointed out this

"I am not virologist, but I have worked in infectious disease research for nearly 25 years. I set up and ran a successful MSc on Infection and Disease Control and have published more than a 100 research papers. I am not a coronavirus expert but have a good friend and colleague who is. I have other medic colleagues who are absolute leaders in treating emerging viral infections. I am reading the primary literature not some opinion on the internet. " Quite a difference don't you think?

Incorrect - Ok what did I say that was incorrect given you are making that accusation, if you cannot provide any evidence then it is very possibly you that is incorrect

I think you and a couple of others on here need to refresh themselves on the meaning of the absolute statements they make and an understanding of Boolean logic.

Facts are not only correct if you can provide links to them. For instance you dismissed a link by another poster to detailed research, as not being about what was being discussed, when in fact it mentioned that in the first word of the title.

I have linked my comments to research, it is not about me being wrong or right, I count for nothing in this pandemic, but it is about the conflicting reports and studies of experts.

Yes you confirmed that I correctly reported that the Prof is not a virologist. Perhaps he would have called himself the virologist if he had have been. But he actually felt qualified to put down the ability of actual virologists at Lancaster uni. I am not disagreeing with him but it does somewhat question your opinion on experts as does the link I provided to an expert on the subject of experts and the need for a wider view.

Edited for a sp correction
[Post edited 13 Apr 2020 13:41]
Corona Virus on 16:17 - Apr 13 with 3048 viewsDJack

Corona Virus on 13:32 - Apr 13 by chad

Incorrect - Ok what did I say that was incorrect given you are making that accusation, if you cannot provide any evidence then it is very possibly you that is incorrect

I think you and a couple of others on here need to refresh themselves on the meaning of the absolute statements they make and an understanding of Boolean logic.

Facts are not only correct if you can provide links to them. For instance you dismissed a link by another poster to detailed research, as not being about what was being discussed, when in fact it mentioned that in the first word of the title.

I have linked my comments to research, it is not about me being wrong or right, I count for nothing in this pandemic, but it is about the conflicting reports and studies of experts.

Yes you confirmed that I correctly reported that the Prof is not a virologist. Perhaps he would have called himself the virologist if he had have been. But he actually felt qualified to put down the ability of actual virologists at Lancaster uni. I am not disagreeing with him but it does somewhat question your opinion on experts as does the link I provided to an expert on the subject of experts and the need for a wider view.

Oddly enough in life sciences and in general the science of our universe Bayesian logic/inference is used to gather the probability of the article. Things aren't always yes/no.

As to the article I dismissed, this conversation started with a computer model on slipstream particle (running/ jogging) with you adding to it with a comment and introduced a print media article about a choir infecting each other whilst singing - it contained nothing tested just an anecdotal "link".

My reply to this was "The rest of us will await a review with a link to the actual science rather than a press article without such proof. However it, if true, is noteworthy. " Then Squarebear proided a link to the NEJM article on "Aerosol and Surface Stability of SARS-CoV-2 as Compared with SARS-CoV-1"

My reply to this was badly phrased as I meant to comment on the fact that it did not demonstrate it maintaing a long term viable threat at distance and time over the current data and for that I'm culpable. My reply was "Thank you but that report deals with virus viability on different surfaces after (a simulated) cough or sneeze." . Yes, it mentioned maintaing viability for three hours but this was in an artificial "environment and I touched on this later on when you got caught up with the phrase "viable in aerosols" before I pointed out the artificiallity of the environment.

As to the Professor, it was he who reported that he was not a virologist and you later referenced this.

A couple of final points which might touch on why you and I clash so vehemently...

I'm looking out for the peer reviewed data that demonstrates what we do know as fact(currently) - so we can act upon that if/when required. You, appear, to be looking for articles which may indicate further threat models and my issue with these is that they either aren't proven in any shape or form or have questionable validity as a viable path for infection in the "real world". Additionally there is enough anxiety around Covid19 without introducing "scary possibilities" rather than actual probabilities, IMHO. Yes, caution is needed and it may be that being extra cautious is helpful but there is the danger of people being so afraid of "possibilities" that they don't function well enough to do what we do know to protect ourselves - again this is just my opinion..

On to the subject of experts...some of the "facts" talked about are based upon flawed studies (Prof Riaoult or however it is spelled and his "work"). Some are not proven facts just a proposition that may explain the noted data. Often these are taken out of context and printed by the media without a care for the veracity of the argument and avoidance of highlighting the fact that it is just a proposed hypothesis. Others are accepted, peer reviewed papers which will be adjusted to accommodate further datasets. Again here I believe that you highlight posible issues a bit too early in the cycle and I won't accept them until the end of the cycle as it were.

In essence we are looking at the issues from vastly different perspectives and as such there is little room for agreement and so we continue the cycle. So here is an idea that might reduce the cluttering up of the board with our various positions on articles and their rebuttals and counter-rebuttal.

Why don't we draw a line under our previous discussions and we can move on to any new articles/data. I will need to work harder on my clarity and cogency of argument to reduce mis-understandings and produce fewer points of dis-agreement. As to what you might do I will not profer my thoughts as I may be wrong and I may cause unecessary umbrage.

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan

Corona Virus on 16:54 - Apr 13 with 2991 viewsJoe_bradshaw

Whilst all this point scoring takes place there are countless human tragedies out there.

I have just spoken to my daughter in law whose uncle was admitted to the Royal Gwent late last night. He’s 80 but the most active and fittest 80 year old you are likely to meet. His family has just been informed that one person is allowed to go and see him briefly. They will be gowned up and given PPE. It can’t be his housebound wife for whom he has been a carer for the last 6 years because it’s too risky for her. They are making him as comfortable as possible but it’s unlikely that he’ll see tomorrow.

Stay safe Jack Army.

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

Corona Virus on 17:00 - Apr 13 with 2970 viewssainthelens

Did the United States give $1100 dollars to every man and woman after?
What about the pre/post op transsexual? They get a rough deal.
Corona Virus on 17:26 - Apr 13 with 2941 viewsDJack

Information

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41573-020-00073-5?fbclid=IwAR3EO-GdRjX8MCSrrKV8

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan

Corona Virus on 17:28 - Apr 13 with 2929 viewschad

Corona Virus on 16:54 - Apr 13 by Joe_bradshaw

Whilst all this point scoring takes place there are countless human tragedies out there.

I have just spoken to my daughter in law whose uncle was admitted to the Royal Gwent late last night. He’s 80 but the most active and fittest 80 year old you are likely to meet. His family has just been informed that one person is allowed to go and see him briefly. They will be gowned up and given PPE. It can’t be his housebound wife for whom he has been a carer for the last 6 years because it’s too risky for her. They are making him as comfortable as possible but it’s unlikely that he’ll see tomorrow.

Stay safe Jack Army.

An awful awful situation sadly amongst so many, who knows which of us or our loved ones will be next. Many best wishes for your daughter in laws uncle, so dreadful for his wife and the rest of the family.

Sorry about the other stuff but there is lots of research and evidence about the extent and persistence of aerosols and with so many infected, many with little or no symptoms in the early stages when it seems they are most infectious, it is really important people understand how very careful we need to be and hopefully potentially save some from becoming infected by this dreadful disease.
Corona Virus on 18:14 - Apr 13 with 2885 viewsHighjack

You have to question a world where people aren’t allowed to visit their loved ones in their final hours but Ross “Art o my pub you slaaag” Kemp has free reign to take an entire documentary film crew in to intensive care units.

Now I like Ross Kemp, even if he did cheat on Tiffany with her mother, and he also head butted a horse once, but whoever made this decision should be thoroughly ashamed of themselves.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Corona Virus on 18:23 - Apr 13 with 2867 viewsJackinexile1

Corona Virus on 18:14 - Apr 13 by Highjack

You have to question a world where people aren’t allowed to visit their loved ones in their final hours but Ross “Art o my pub you slaaag” Kemp has free reign to take an entire documentary film crew in to intensive care units.

Now I like Ross Kemp, even if he did cheat on Tiffany with her mother, and he also head butted a horse once, but whoever made this decision should be thoroughly ashamed of themselves.

Corona Virus on 18:34 - Apr 13 with 2854 viewsHighjack

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Corona Virus on 18:46 - Apr 13 with 2829 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

Corona Virus on 16:54 - Apr 13 by Joe_bradshaw

Stay safe Jack Army.

All the best for your family.

Besian Idrizaj Forever a Jack
Poll: When will Duff Revert to 4 at the Back

Corona Virus on 21:33 - Apr 13 with 2716 viewsScotia

Corona Virus on 17:28 - Apr 13 by chad

An awful awful situation sadly amongst so many, who knows which of us or our loved ones will be next. Many best wishes for your daughter in laws uncle, so dreadful for his wife and the rest of the family.

Sorry about the other stuff but there is lots of research and evidence about the extent and persistence of aerosols and with so many infected, many with little or no symptoms in the early stages when it seems they are most infectious, it is really important people understand how very careful we need to be and hopefully potentially save some from becoming infected by this dreadful disease.

That is a very sad situation, my heart goes out to the family. The lack of contact for the person in hospital and their family at that time must be very difficult.
Corona Virus on 21:39 - Apr 13 with 2700 viewsHeadmaster

I had a family funeral last week. It was awful not being able to grieve together.
Corona Virus on 22:09 - Apr 13 with 2656 viewsProfessor

Corona Virus on 13:32 - Apr 13 by chad

Only as I know him (Mo Munir at Lancaster) and have colleagues who are working with him. He is Ok, but is a avian influenza researcher. Not sure he has ever worked with any coronavirus .
Corona Virus on 22:19 - Apr 13 with 2642 viewsmajorraglan

Corona Virus on 12:59 - Apr 13 by Kilkennyjack

Be interesting to see the Roche documentation, but it seems that NHS England secure Roche’s services and the WAG didn’t.

I am not interested in all this political points scoring that’s going on, what I am concerned with is the health and well-being of the people living in this country. Many families have already been touched by Covd 19 and sadly, many more will be going forward.

Read this on the BBC earlier and can’t say I was very pleased, Wales only testing centre at the Cardiff City Stadium was closed today, PHW due to the “low number of key workers anticipated to be working”. If they suspect they have Covid, they wouldn’t be in work anyway! If I was a key worker and ill, whether I was working or not if I had the chance of a test I’d be there like a shot. If they can fill it with a key workers offer it to others who would benefit.

Only 1 centre open, PHE and Vaughan Gething need to sort it out, 5000 tests a day by mid April was the target. Are they using private labs, commercial labs and Universities? We need some answers.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-52272919
Corona Virus on 22:21 - Apr 13 with 2633 viewsGwyn737

One for Prof if you don’t mind. When the easing of the lockdown comes, do you think that opening schools will be one of the first actions?

I can’t wait to get the kids back in, but I’m concerned if there still would need to some social distancing. It would be difficult in secondary school but I’ve got 60 kids aged 5 and under - god knows how I’d do it!
Corona Virus on 22:39 - Apr 13 with 2601 viewsProfessor

Corona Virus on 22:21 - Apr 13 by Gwyn737

One for Prof if you don’t mind. When the easing of the lockdown comes, do you think that opening schools will be one of the first actions?

I can’t wait to get the kids back in, but I’m concerned if there still would need to some social distancing. It would be difficult in secondary school but I’ve got 60 kids aged 5 and under - god knows how I’d do it!

Not really my thing . Going to be incredibly challenging to maintain this. My wife is a TA and we reckon perhaps alternating days for classes with a short (
Perhaps 9-2) day. Would be primary first. Can’t see
Anyone back until Whitsun though. We have finished for the year with only online assessments
Now
Corona Virus on 23:16 - Apr 13 with 3802 viewsBanosswan

Interesting arguments here from obvious academics, who (as they should) want peer reviewed, evidential based answers.

The reality is, at the moment, people on the front line are reacting to evolving situations, with individual patients and making little adjustments as and when we can.

Decisions are being made by specialists, using their best judgement, at an unprecedented time, often outside their particular specialism.

Listen to the government, stop pointing fingers, the time for that will come eventually.

Ever since my son was... never conceived, because I've never had consensual sex without money involved... I've always kind of looked at you as... a thing, that I could live next to... in accordance with state laws.
Poll: How do you like your steak?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024