Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Corona Virus 22:39 - Mar 7 with 432486 viewsSgorioFruit

Sorry for new thread,
But how bad do you lot reckon it’s going to get here in the UK?
I just been watching the news. Looking nasty in Italy.

My methods are not favoured by some but by god i speak the truth.
Poll: What Happened Today???

Corona Virus on 17:44 - Apr 30 with 1963 viewsKilkennyjack

Corona Virus on 15:03 - Apr 30 by WarwickHunt

I quoted it because you scoffed at the Guardian and also because it was witty and a very apt summary.

Starmer v Raab is like Steven Pinker v Paul Merson.
Other opinions are available.

😂😂

Beware of the Risen People

Corona Virus on 18:29 - Apr 30 with 1923 viewswaynekerr55

Corona Virus on 15:43 - Apr 30 by Glyn1

What news websites do people read? And which ones are people happy to pay for? Thanks for any suggestions.

Always read from a variety of sources. Also, follow people on Twitter you disagree with.

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

Corona Virus on 19:06 - Apr 30 with 1886 viewslondonlisa2001

Corona Virus on 08:30 - Apr 30 by Scotia

That an ebola drug, Remdesivir, may reduce recovery time for some Covid paitients by about 4 days. Dr Fauci has said there is clear evidence that it worked, unfortunately a different (incomplete and earlier) study in China said there was no benefit in using Remdesivir.

Let's hope the US study is correct, at lease it will be a start.

They spoke of it today in the briefing. Cautious optimism but at an early stage and certainly no magic bullet.

By far the most positive news that’s emerged in the past 48 hours isn’t the treatment update, but rather the confirmation from Korea that the ‘reinfected’ were not reinfected after all. They’ve proved that the ‘positive’ tests were in fact picking up dead virus being shed by the bodies of recovered patients. Virus that was no longer viable even in lab conditions let alone humans.
Corona Virus on 19:40 - Apr 30 with 1841 viewsLeonWasGod

Corona Virus on 19:06 - Apr 30 by londonlisa2001

They spoke of it today in the briefing. Cautious optimism but at an early stage and certainly no magic bullet.

By far the most positive news that’s emerged in the past 48 hours isn’t the treatment update, but rather the confirmation from Korea that the ‘reinfected’ were not reinfected after all. They’ve proved that the ‘positive’ tests were in fact picking up dead virus being shed by the bodies of recovered patients. Virus that was no longer viable even in lab conditions let alone humans.

Thank fugg for that. Virologists have been saying that it would be highly unlikely to get reinfected, but it's nice to have a bit more evidence to suggest that's the case. Gives some more confidence in a future vaccine.

I liked the Reuters piece on Vietnam today - thought that was a nice good news story (especially considering the concern there's been over developing nations). Not quite on topic to this discussion, but interesting good news nonetheless. https://uk.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-vietnam-fight-insi/after-ag
Corona Virus on 19:52 - Apr 30 with 1835 viewscontroversial_jack

Corona Virus on 19:06 - Apr 30 by londonlisa2001

That's really good news if true.Do you have a link for this please?
Corona Virus on 20:21 - Apr 30 with 1805 viewslondonlisa2001

Corona Virus on 19:52 - Apr 30 by controversial_jack

That's really good news if true.Do you have a link for this please?

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/coronavirus-patients-cant-relapse-south-korea

If you can’t see behind the firewall, there are numerous reports linked to this now all over social media. Virologists have said it ends the issue and that so many have now recovered all over the world, we’d be seeing reinfection all over Europe if it happened.

So, I agree, it’s very good news to have it confirmed albeit it’s what was expected.

There also continues to be good news on the vaccine firing, with AstraZeneca joining the Oxford team to manufacture hundreds of millions of vaccines this year if it works. Apparently they’ll know by June or July.
Corona Virus on 20:29 - Apr 30 with 1794 viewscontroversial_jack

Corona Virus on 20:21 - Apr 30 by londonlisa2001

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/coronavirus-patients-cant-relapse-south-korea

If you can’t see behind the firewall, there are numerous reports linked to this now all over social media. Virologists have said it ends the issue and that so many have now recovered all over the world, we’d be seeing reinfection all over Europe if it happened.

So, I agree, it’s very good news to have it confirmed albeit it’s what was expected.

There also continues to be good news on the vaccine firing, with AstraZeneca joining the Oxford team to manufacture hundreds of millions of vaccines this year if it works. Apparently they’ll know by June or July.

Yes, I saw that ty. a bit of good news at last
Corona Virus on 20:48 - Apr 30 with 1774 viewsScotia

Also it seems that children under 10 are very unlikely to infect others. For me personally, and many other people that could be a game changer regarding the lock down.

I saw that Dr Karol Sikora (worth a follow)had tweeted the false positive situation in South Korea, but I hadn't realised it had been reported elsewhere - excellent news.
Login to get fewer ads

Corona Virus on 21:46 - Apr 30 with 1730 viewscontroversial_jack

Corona Virus on 20:48 - Apr 30 by Scotia

Also it seems that children under 10 are very unlikely to infect others. For me personally, and many other people that could be a game changer regarding the lock down.

I saw that Dr Karol Sikora (worth a follow)had tweeted the false positive situation in South Korea, but I hadn't realised it had been reported elsewhere - excellent news.

It's early days yet though, let's not get carried away
Corona Virus on 22:07 - Apr 30 with 1707 viewsmonmouth

Corona Virus on 20:21 - Apr 30 by londonlisa2001

Please god, even though I know you don't exist.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Corona Virus on 22:25 - Apr 30 with 1684 viewschad

Corona Virus on 20:48 - Apr 30 by Scotia

Is there any evidence that children under 10 are unlikely to infect others?

As far as I had seen this is unknown and was said again that it was not known in relation to a question asked on TV today (however I have repeatedly seen the supposed experts giving misleading information when put on the spot about things they seem to not know the answer to, when it would be best to say things are not known, or they don’t know).

If it’s not known then it is as true to say they are far more likely to pass on the disease, and if the suggestions their symptoms are generally much lower are correct then there would be some logic to that.

In fact if it has not been evidenced then surely we would be better to err on the side of caution, especially given all the criticism the government has been given for not being thought to have done that.

Of course if there is significant strong evidence on this, that is great news.

Good news about the false positives if correct, previously only been assumed not reinfected, which seemed the most expected outcome but as this virus is novel We need to be really careful taking anything for granted or we could open up another easy foothold for it.
Corona Virus on 22:38 - Apr 30 with 1659 viewscontroversial_jack

Corona Virus on 22:07 - Apr 30 by monmouth

Please god, even though I know you don't exist.

Don't get your hopes up.Even if there is a vaccine it won't be practical to vaccinate the entire country. Vulnerable groups will get it, but not the average person
Corona Virus on 23:40 - Apr 30 with 1602 viewsairedale

Corona Virus on 22:38 - Apr 30 by controversial_jack

Don't get your hopes up.Even if there is a vaccine it won't be practical to vaccinate the entire country. Vulnerable groups will get it, but not the average person

Why would Mr Average need it?
Corona Virus on 00:18 - May 1 with 1581 viewscontroversial_jack

Corona Virus on 23:40 - Apr 30 by airedale

Why would Mr Average need it?

Because of it's randomness.All ages and physical conditions can get very ill
Corona Virus on 00:48 - May 1 with 1562 viewslonglostjack

Piers Morgan. Fair play. I’m warming to him.

Poll: Alcohol in the lockdown

Corona Virus on 07:21 - May 1 with 1450 viewsScotia

Corona Virus on 22:25 - Apr 30 by chad

Is there any evidence that children under 10 are unlikely to infect others?

As far as I had seen this is unknown and was said again that it was not known in relation to a question asked on TV today (however I have repeatedly seen the supposed experts giving misleading information when put on the spot about things they seem to not know the answer to, when it would be best to say things are not known, or they don’t know).

If it’s not known then it is as true to say they are far more likely to pass on the disease, and if the suggestions their symptoms are generally much lower are correct then there would be some logic to that.

In fact if it has not been evidenced then surely we would be better to err on the side of caution, especially given all the criticism the government has been given for not being thought to have done that.

Of course if there is significant strong evidence on this, that is great news.

Good news about the false positives if correct, previously only been assumed not reinfected, which seemed the most expected outcome but as this virus is novel We need to be really careful taking anything for granted or we could open up another easy foothold for it.

No evidence formally presented yet, it would be very early for that. But there has been a study sponsored by the Royal College of Paediatricians (although at the moment published via a blog) which cannot identify a single case of a child under 10 passing the virus on.

It seems to be a large study of thousands of cases across China and Europe. One example used in the media is the child of the first UK case, who had been in close contact with almost 200 people. Many had caught a common cold from him but none caught Covid, despite Covid being more contagious .

It is obviously too early to be sure, and more research is needed, but Switzerland are acting on it and allowing children close contact with grandparents.

If young kids could go to school and see family members at some point before too long, without increasing the risk of transfer, it would be massive for people and an economic boost.
[Post edited 1 May 2020 7:33]
Corona Virus on 08:46 - May 1 with 1395 viewschad

Corona Virus on 07:21 - May 1 by Scotia

No evidence formally presented yet, it would be very early for that. But there has been a study sponsored by the Royal College of Paediatricians (although at the moment published via a blog) which cannot identify a single case of a child under 10 passing the virus on.

It seems to be a large study of thousands of cases across China and Europe. One example used in the media is the child of the first UK case, who had been in close contact with almost 200 people. Many had caught a common cold from him but none caught Covid, despite Covid being more contagious .

It is obviously too early to be sure, and more research is needed, but Switzerland are acting on it and allowing children close contact with grandparents.

If young kids could go to school and see family members at some point before too long, without increasing the risk of transfer, it would be massive for people and an economic boost.
[Post edited 1 May 2020 7:33]

Thanks for the reply and info :) . Totally agree.

Kind of makes sense as you would think if they are low symptom they would not carry a high viral load, although in adults it is thought the low / asymptomatic carriers are a large contributor to spread, but a lot of that may be pre symptomatic as it is infectious v.early, from the viral load in the throat.

However UKs 3rd case (after 2 Chinese nationals in York) the super spreader (identified on 6th Feb), who had contracted it at a conference in Asia, just had cold symptoms I seem to recall (as his wife made that comment about a fuss over nothing!). In fact except for the initial 2 Chinese I think all of our 8 cases to mid Feb were attributed to him.

Having had a look and also heard mention recently, they seem to think young children do not have the receptors (or enough of them) for the virus to bind (although of course some under 10s have caught it).

I was a bit concerned by the Chinese evidence as i read 1 thing that suggested they could not ‘recall’ a case of transmission by an under 10 which, did not seem so scientific, although of course indicative.

That other study you mention revolving around the child of our super spreader, most of that child’s contacts were at ski school. But if other children are less likely to get it, plus the tendency to wear masks and suppressing effects of extreme chill, then not sure how typical that is.

Of corse scientists saying not enough evidence and even the Swiss allowing grandparents contact (but only with under 10s) seem to be saying it should only be brief (no childminding, no outings) so don’t seem fully committed themselves.

But at least they are looking into it more and agree hopefully will be correct and would be a major boost, as the youngsters must be missing their friends and family so much, as well as their grandparents sorely missing them.

Despite all the tragic deaths it seems we may be moving on a little, hopefully not just a catching of breath before it’s next assault.
Corona Virus on 08:51 - May 1 with 1390 viewsCooperman

Corona Virus on 00:48 - May 1 by longlostjack

His good points - he asks the direct questions to the right people
His bad points - he then doesn't let them answer and it becomes all about him

If he could hone his people interaction skills then he could gain much greater popularity. I think he has aspirations on a future career in politics or possibly the role of Mayor of London.

Poll: Your confectionery tub of choice

Corona Virus on 09:11 - May 1 with 1377 viewsScotia

Corona Virus on 08:46 - May 1 by chad

Thanks for the reply and info :) . Totally agree.

Kind of makes sense as you would think if they are low symptom they would not carry a high viral load, although in adults it is thought the low / asymptomatic carriers are a large contributor to spread, but a lot of that may be pre symptomatic as it is infectious v.early, from the viral load in the throat.

However UKs 3rd case (after 2 Chinese nationals in York) the super spreader (identified on 6th Feb), who had contracted it at a conference in Asia, just had cold symptoms I seem to recall (as his wife made that comment about a fuss over nothing!). In fact except for the initial 2 Chinese I think all of our 8 cases to mid Feb were attributed to him.

Having had a look and also heard mention recently, they seem to think young children do not have the receptors (or enough of them) for the virus to bind (although of course some under 10s have caught it).

I was a bit concerned by the Chinese evidence as i read 1 thing that suggested they could not ‘recall’ a case of transmission by an under 10 which, did not seem so scientific, although of course indicative.

That other study you mention revolving around the child of our super spreader, most of that child’s contacts were at ski school. But if other children are less likely to get it, plus the tendency to wear masks and suppressing effects of extreme chill, then not sure how typical that is.

Of corse scientists saying not enough evidence and even the Swiss allowing grandparents contact (but only with under 10s) seem to be saying it should only be brief (no childminding, no outings) so don’t seem fully committed themselves.

But at least they are looking into it more and agree hopefully will be correct and would be a major boost, as the youngsters must be missing their friends and family so much, as well as their grandparents sorely missing them.

Despite all the tragic deaths it seems we may be moving on a little, hopefully not just a catching of breath before it’s next assault.

As far as I am aware it is one and the same study, although it may be a collation of several studies drawn togther in one blog? I was encouraged it was under the RCPCH umbrella.
The child the media mention is the child of the UK's super spreader who had come back from Singapore, despite living in a chalet with several infected adults he/she didn't infect anyone outside of the chalet despite being infected themselves. As the study is based on WHO contact tracing I'm assuming those in contact had been tested at that time in the outbreak?
I think the Swiss mantra of "brief contact" is down to their other lock down restrictions rather than the risk of spread.

Anyway - yesterday was quite a positive day, lets hope we keep getting positive days.
Corona Virus on 10:25 - May 1 with 1324 viewschad

Corona Virus on 09:11 - May 1 by Scotia

As far as I am aware it is one and the same study, although it may be a collation of several studies drawn togther in one blog? I was encouraged it was under the RCPCH umbrella.
The child the media mention is the child of the UK's super spreader who had come back from Singapore, despite living in a chalet with several infected adults he/she didn't infect anyone outside of the chalet despite being infected themselves. As the study is based on WHO contact tracing I'm assuming those in contact had been tested at that time in the outbreak?
I think the Swiss mantra of "brief contact" is down to their other lock down restrictions rather than the risk of spread.

Anyway - yesterday was quite a positive day, lets hope we keep getting positive days.

Ah one study you think thanks, the point I was making about that one case they were picking out was, that although the child had lots of contacts, they were linked to ski school, so presumably outdoor, and in an atypical situation that would not be conducive to spread...

I was really interested when reading up on Germany’s first reported outbreak, that they could identify the order of infection by slight changes in the viral RNA as it went from person to person. Although luckily it was in a controlled environment with limited spread and documentary and video evidence.of contacts within the factory and illness reported quickly by the case 0 employee on her return to China after her brief visit.
Corona Virus on 10:29 - May 1 with 1320 viewsairedale

Corona Virus on 00:18 - May 1 by controversial_jack

Because of it's randomness.All ages and physical conditions can get very ill

OK, but unless they do an examination of the body they won’t be sure that the deceased was indeed ‘healthy’, or that they had an underlying health condition that they were unaware of.

Also, it could be scaremongering tactics to keep the stupids indoors.
Corona Virus on 11:00 - May 1 with 1296 viewsScotia

Corona Virus on 10:25 - May 1 by chad

Ah one study you think thanks, the point I was making about that one case they were picking out was, that although the child had lots of contacts, they were linked to ski school, so presumably outdoor, and in an atypical situation that would not be conducive to spread...

I was really interested when reading up on Germany’s first reported outbreak, that they could identify the order of infection by slight changes in the viral RNA as it went from person to person. Although luckily it was in a controlled environment with limited spread and documentary and video evidence.of contacts within the factory and illness reported quickly by the case 0 employee on her return to China after her brief visit.

You may well be correct about the situation in the ski school, and the child seemed to attend three. It has been about 30 years since I was last in a Ski School but I seem to remember about 15 - 20 kids in a class, so it could well be that around 60 of their contacts were outside, were other children and wearing masks which is a difficult environment to spread Covid. Potentially that could still leave in excess of 100 outisde of that environment who didn't catch Covid from them, plus of course this is one child in a study of many.

Very early days but definitely something which could make social distancing more bearable for many people. I am one of those - so forgive my optimistic bias.
Corona Virus on 11:47 - May 1 with 1263 viewsA_Fans_Dad

More good news Vitamin D boosting your Immune system can mean less severe symptoms and actually save you from dying.
Corona Virus on 12:00 - May 1 with 1250 viewsOldjack

https://www.swanseacity.com/news/swans-make-liberty-stadium-available-coronaviru

Prosser the Tosser dwells on Phil's bum hole like a rusty old hemorrhoid ,fact You Greedy Bastards Get Out Of OUR Club!

Corona Virus on 12:04 - May 1 with 1808 viewsLeonWasGod

Corona Virus on 00:48 - May 1 by longlostjack

He's been body snatched by a leftie. It's the only logical explanation.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024