Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Corona Virus 22:39 - Mar 7 with 437529 viewsSgorioFruit

Sorry for new thread,
But how bad do you lot reckon it’s going to get here in the UK?
I just been watching the news. Looking nasty in Italy.

My methods are not favoured by some but by god i speak the truth.
Poll: What Happened Today???

Corona Virus on 19:08 - May 12 with 1311 viewsexiledclaseboy

Corona Virus on 18:58 - May 12 by londonlisa2001

It wasn’t fee paying when Keir went. It was a grammar school that he went to because he passed the 11 plus.

I’ve very mixed feeling about grammar school btw, but that’s a completely different conversation.

According to Wiki it converted to fee paying status in 1976 while he was still there. Easier for me to point that out in a few words than wait for Chad to compose 15 paragraphs to do it.

Poll: Tory leader

Corona Virus on 19:16 - May 12 with 1282 viewswaynekerr55

Corona Virus on 18:35 - May 12 by chad

Perhaps Reigate grammar public school fees, of circa 20K a year, worth a punt now then?

Interesting though, that comps were being imposed from Labour policy of the mid 60s, (even before the time Keir attended that school), and the widespread opportunity to try for grammar school, stripped from the majority of ordinary children.

Aye, the old "Keir's establishment and the current crop of Tories aren't" whataboutery game, is it?

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

Corona Virus on 19:23 - May 12 with 1271 viewsCatullus

Corona Virus on 23:03 - May 11 by Dr_Winston

There are so many variables involved that the simplistic analysis is worse than no analysis at all.

Population density is a factor. Difference in recording requirements is a factor. Ethnic makeup of the nations involved is a factor. External travel is a factor. And many other things. Yet so many people are pouncing on one or two headline making numbers and pretending that's the whole story.

It's going to be impossible to form any kind of serious evaluation of the current crisis for a good 12-18 months. Maybe even more than that.

Absolutely and how you calculate density also matters, if you believe this fella,

https://unherd.com/2018/03/youll-never-guess-densely-populated-country-europe/

stats eh.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Corona Virus on 19:40 - May 12 with 1247 viewschad

Corona Virus on 19:08 - May 12 by exiledclaseboy

According to Wiki it converted to fee paying status in 1976 while he was still there. Easier for me to point that out in a few words than wait for Chad to compose 15 paragraphs to do it.

Thanks ECB think it went private after his first 2 years?

Direct grant school before that?
Corona Virus on 19:41 - May 12 with 1243 viewsDr_Winston

Corona Virus on 19:23 - May 12 by Catullus

Absolutely and how you calculate density also matters, if you believe this fella,

https://unherd.com/2018/03/youll-never-guess-densely-populated-country-europe/

stats eh.

Stats are great.

I'd be curious to see the figures for Australia or Canada, which must have miniscule density figures. 25 million people in Australia, mostly packed into five coastal cities. Something like 35 million in Canada, and almost all of them live within an hour or two's drive of the US border.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Corona Virus on 19:42 - May 12 with 1240 viewsexiledclaseboy

Corona Virus on 19:40 - May 12 by chad

Thanks ECB think it went private after his first 2 years?

Direct grant school before that?

State funded before that according to Wiki again. I don’t think it matters to be honest.

Corona Virus on 19:48 - May 12 with 1225 viewsCatullus

Corona Virus on 19:41 - May 12 by Dr_Winston

Stats are great.

I'd be curious to see the figures for Australia or Canada, which must have miniscule density figures. 25 million people in Australia, mostly packed into five coastal cities. Something like 35 million in Canada, and almost all of them live within an hour or two's drive of the US border.

Whatever the stats say, I'm very happy to be living in a less densely populated area! I reckon people living in Alert, Nunavut in Canada will feel the same! These big cities are just massive incubators.

Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?

Corona Virus on 19:53 - May 12 with 1219 viewschad

Corona Virus on 19:16 - May 12 by waynekerr55

Aye, the old "Keir's establishment and the current crop of Tories aren't" whataboutery game, is it?

Really where did I say that? Just commenting how the Grammar system seemed to work for him. Fortunately it was presumably funded for him.

Was rather surprised that given his rents were such strong Labour supporters, they eschewed their primary policy of none tripartite education, there were plenty of comps around at that time (as many who would have preferred to try for grammar school, but were denied the opportunity can vouch).

In fact he and Boris both went to Oxford didn’t they?
Login to get fewer ads

Corona Virus on 19:58 - May 12 with 1205 viewsWarwickHunt

Corona Virus on 18:35 - May 12 by chad

Perhaps Reigate grammar public school fees, of circa 20K a year, worth a punt now then?

Interesting though, that comps were being imposed from Labour policy of the mid 60s, (even before the time Keir attended that school), and the widespread opportunity to try for grammar school, stripped from the majority of ordinary children.

Oops, wrong again...

It’s a Brexit thang. Obviously.
Corona Virus on 20:02 - May 12 with 1194 viewsJack_Kass

Is anyone else of the belief that when all this crap calms down to a certain level, that Johnson is a goner?

New PM by xmas, in my opinion.

Poll: FA Cup or Premier League

Corona Virus on 20:03 - May 12 with 1189 viewsexiledclaseboy

Corona Virus on 20:02 - May 12 by Jack_Kass

Is anyone else of the belief that when all this crap calms down to a certain level, that Johnson is a goner?

New PM by xmas, in my opinion.

Only way that will happen is if he resigns.

Corona Virus on 20:13 - May 12 with 1155 viewsHumpty

Stats are great.

Australia has a population density of 9 people per square mile, Canada 10. The UK's is 725.

All according to Wikipedia.
Corona Virus on 20:24 - May 12 with 1135 viewslondonlisa2001

Corona Virus on 19:08 - May 12 by exiledclaseboy

It did, which I why I said ‘when he went’.

Obviously it means he’s a lot posher than the old Etonians.
Corona Virus on 20:25 - May 12 with 1131 viewsDr_Winston

Corona Virus on 20:13 - May 12 by Humpty

Australia has a population density of 9 people per square mile, Canada 10. The UK's is 725.

Apparently it's still much less dense even in the urban areas. Melbourne covers the same land area as London with just over half the people.

Thinking about it now I was in Quebec City back in the mid-90's and that seemed to go on forever despite having about the same number of people as Bristol.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Corona Virus on 20:28 - May 12 with 1123 viewslondonlisa2001

Corona Virus on 19:53 - May 12 by chad

Really where did I say that? Just commenting how the Grammar system seemed to work for him. Fortunately it was presumably funded for him.

Was rather surprised that given his rents were such strong Labour supporters, they eschewed their primary policy of none tripartite education, there were plenty of comps around at that time (as many who would have preferred to try for grammar school, but were denied the opportunity can vouch).

In fact he and Boris both went to Oxford didn’t they?

That doesn’t mean anything. Many went to Oxford from very working class backgrounds courtesy of the entrance exam, full grant etc...
But Starmer went to Leeds and Oxford for post grad.
Corona Virus on 20:31 - May 12 with 1114 viewscockneyswan

Apologies if this has already been posted, some truly shocking figures re COVID 19 from the ONS, this is the true death rate caused by COVIID 19
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/amp/health-52623141
Corona Virus on 20:32 - May 12 with 1110 viewsCatullus

Corona Virus on 20:13 - May 12 by Humpty

That was the point of my link though. Is it better to have a really small population density if the vast majority are crowded into small parts of the country?

Spain is a large country with a smaller population than the UK but they are crowded into 13% of Spain's total area, by that measure Spain is more densely crowded than us. By the traitional measure we are second (in Europe) only to the Netherlands.

Corona Virus on 20:35 - May 12 with 1108 viewschad

Corona Virus on 19:58 - May 12 by WarwickHunt

Oops, wrong again...

It’s a Brexit thang. Obviously.

What part is wrong?

Does the ‘again’ refer to your opinion that a person living inside this country throughout the CV crises, is not giving an inside view, when they report on it from here
Corona Virus on 20:45 - May 12 with 1081 viewschad

Corona Virus on 20:28 - May 12 by londonlisa2001

That doesn’t mean anything. Many went to Oxford from very working class backgrounds courtesy of the entrance exam, full grant etc...
But Starmer went to Leeds and Oxford for post grad.

Yep know that, just WK seemed to be saying that I was suggesting Tories not establishment, so mentioned them both going to Oxford.

Oxford still pretty establishment, hardly a working class hotbed, even more markedly for those from further afield.
Corona Virus on 20:48 - May 12 with 1073 viewsJack_Kass

Corona Virus on 20:32 - May 12 by Catullus

That was the point of my link though. Is it better to have a really small population density if the vast majority are crowded into small parts of the country?

Spain is a large country with a smaller population than the UK but they are crowded into 13% of Spain's total area, by that measure Spain is more densely crowded than us. By the traitional measure we are second (in Europe) only to the Netherlands.

Paris has 21k people per sq km

Milan 7.5k

Madrid 5.4k

London 4.5k

Poll: FA Cup or Premier League

Corona Virus on 20:52 - May 12 with 1065 viewschad

Corona Virus on 20:24 - May 12 by londonlisa2001

It did, which I why I said ‘when he went’.

Obviously it means he’s a lot posher than the old Etonians.

I think he went every year, not just the first few.

Possibly not when he started, although was grant funded at one stage so unsure if there was a fee paying element then, but even if so, presumably not by him?
Corona Virus on 21:30 - May 12 with 1010 viewsGaryjack

Corona Virus on 20:48 - May 12 by Jack_Kass

Paris has 21k people per sq km

Milan 7.5k

Madrid 5.4k

London 4.5k

Paris has a population of only 2.15m so by your reckoning it's only 10 square miles in total area. Swansea has a square mileage of roughly 250! Are you sure you have your figures correct?
Corona Virus on 21:37 - May 12 with 986 viewsHighjack

Corona Virus on 21:30 - May 12 by Garyjack

Paris has a population of only 2.15m so by your reckoning it's only 10 square miles in total area. Swansea has a square mileage of roughly 250! Are you sure you have your figures correct?

Where did you get that figure from? Paris is well over 10 million.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Corona Virus on 21:41 - May 12 with 974 viewswaynekerr55

Corona Virus on 20:45 - May 12 by chad

Yep know that, just WK seemed to be saying that I was suggesting Tories not establishment, so mentioned them both going to Oxford.

Oxford still pretty establishment, hardly a working class hotbed, even more markedly for those from further afield.

Sorry I should have been more clear; I meant to say that I find it hilarious that Sir Keir is somehow more detached from the average man and woman than the bunch of Tufton Street grifters in charge.

I was being facetious

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

Corona Virus on 21:42 - May 12 with 971 viewsairedale

Stats are great.

Round about 1985 I think it was 26 millish in Canada. Don’t quote me though. If I’m right it doesn’t seem to have gone up very much. Unless you look at it as a percentage though.

Second biggest country on the planet, I wonder what the population density is?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024