Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Corona Virus 22:39 - Mar 7 with 431659 viewsSgorioFruit

Sorry for new thread,
But how bad do you lot reckon it’s going to get here in the UK?
I just been watching the news. Looking nasty in Italy.

My methods are not favoured by some but by god i speak the truth.
Poll: What Happened Today???

Corona Virus on 14:55 - Mar 8 with 2886 viewsProfessor

Corona Virus on 14:28 - Mar 8 by Thebus

Get what exactly. I’ll be flying out to the USA week tomorrow and certainly won’t be changing my plans.

They may be changed for you.
Corona Virus on 14:55 - Mar 8 with 2886 viewsowainglyndwr

Government and Broadcast company's to meet tomorrow to decide on the Premiership & Championship & other large events to be behind closed doors
Corona Virus on 15:41 - Mar 8 with 2825 viewsbennytheblue

Corona Virus on 11:54 - Mar 8 by Professor

It’s a fair degree nastier than a cold my friend. Not a runny nose and groggy and most effects on respiratory system. If you had asthma then that is a good comparison on how it will feel. Along with a dry cough

Government health people saying 80% of people who get it won’t get the nasty symptoms you talk about though.....are they talking bollox. Think I’ve only had flu once in my life.
Corona Virus on 15:42 - Mar 8 with 2820 viewsbennytheblue

Corona Virus on 14:55 - Mar 8 by Professor

They may be changed for you.

You can easily see an scenario where flying to different countries is suspended for a few weeks. The yanks in particular
Corona Virus on 15:57 - Mar 8 with 2799 viewsProfessor

Corona Virus on 15:41 - Mar 8 by bennytheblue

Government health people saying 80% of people who get it won’t get the nasty symptoms you talk about though.....are they talking bollox. Think I’ve only had flu once in my life.

Benny- those are the mild symptoms.
Severe are particularly nasty pneumonia. Essentially you suffocate
Corona Virus on 15:58 - Mar 8 with 2796 viewsProfessor

Corona Virus on 15:42 - Mar 8 by bennytheblue

You can easily see an scenario where flying to different countries is suspended for a few weeks. The yanks in particular

Yes. Due to go to New York on a family trip in April. Preparing the kids for disappointment already
Corona Virus on 15:58 - Mar 8 with 2796 viewsNeath_Jack

Corona Virus on 14:54 - Mar 8 by ExiledJack

Panic certainly won’t help the situation. Perfectly sensible though to make larger purchases than normal to limit the number of trips to the shops i.e. social distancing.

The epidemic has already hit supply chains so it’s rational for people to “buy whilst stocks last”.

I don’t think it’s rational to do that at all. This is t the end of a sales period.

It’s people being downright greedy and selfish.

I want a mate like Flashberryjacks, who wears a Barnsley jersey with "Swans are my second team" on the back.
Poll: Would you support military action against Syria on what we know so far?

Corona Virus on 16:25 - Mar 8 with 2752 viewslondonlisa2001

Corona Virus on 15:57 - Mar 8 by Professor

Benny- those are the mild symptoms.
Severe are particularly nasty pneumonia. Essentially you suffocate

Sorry prof, but people can be anything from completely asymptomatic through feeling as though they have a slight cold up.

I don’t think saying things like ‘essentially you suffocate’ is at all helpful. Indeed, it’s pretty irresponsible. Many people get pneumonia each year and many recover.

At present, of the 273 reported cases in the UK, there are no cases being reported that are classed as serious or critical.

It is quite obviously not ‘just the flu’ as countries have never quarantined 16m people for the ‘flu’. But at present, there is still huge uncertainty and medical opinion is changing quite rapidly. Just a few weeks ago everyone was convinced it was spreading from asymptomatic cases. Now the6 are saying that’s not the case. Which makes things easier. People being blasé is unhelpful but equally people making others panic is unhelpful.
[Post edited 8 Mar 2020 16:33]
Login to get fewer ads

Corona Virus on 16:28 - Mar 8 with 2746 viewsexiledclaseboy

Corona Virus on 16:25 - Mar 8 by londonlisa2001

Sorry prof, but people can be anything from completely asymptomatic through feeling as though they have a slight cold up.

I don’t think saying things like ‘essentially you suffocate’ is at all helpful. Indeed, it’s pretty irresponsible. Many people get pneumonia each year and many recover.

At present, of the 273 reported cases in the UK, there are no cases being reported that are classed as serious or critical.

It is quite obviously not ‘just the flu’ as countries have never quarantined 16m people for the ‘flu’. But at present, there is still huge uncertainty and medical opinion is changing quite rapidly. Just a few weeks ago everyone was convinced it was spreading from asymptomatic cases. Now the6 are saying that’s not the case. Which makes things easier. People being blasé is unhelpful but equally people making others panic is unhelpful.

Panicking otters are the worst kind of otters.

Poll: Tory leader

Corona Virus on 16:31 - Mar 8 with 2739 viewsCooperman

It’s the fear of the unknown that drives people to do irrational things such as stock up on toilet roll. Vaccination for the weak, old and vulnerable against flu does give off some sense of security; COVID-19 on the other hand is a little bit of an unknown as you rightly reference below and this just fuels the panic and hysteria.

Poll: Your confectionery tub of choice

Corona Virus on 16:32 - Mar 8 with 2729 viewsCooperman

Corona Virus on 14:28 - Mar 8 by Thebus

Get what exactly. I’ll be flying out to the USA week tomorrow and certainly won’t be changing my plans.

You don’t seem to get that vaccination against flu is possible. You don’t get that there isn’t a quick fix for this.

Corona Virus on 16:33 - Mar 8 with 2724 viewslondonlisa2001

Corona Virus on 16:28 - Mar 8 by exiledclaseboy

Lol.

Bloody iPad.
Corona Virus on 16:34 - Mar 8 with 2718 viewsHighjack

Corona Virus on 16:28 - Mar 8 by exiledclaseboy

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Corona Virus on 16:34 - Mar 8 with 2717 viewsNotLoyal

Corona Virus on 14:16 - Mar 8 by ExiledJack

So you’re advocating violence against those in Britain who are taking preventative measures to help avoid the spread of the virus to the benefit of all (and most notably the heath service)?

I hope you’re right in underplaying the risk faced here. Do you have any information that gives you confidence in that viewpoint?

When two sense of humours don't match, they don't match.
Although I do love a bit of violence now and again, don't we all ❄️

OK I've changed it.
Poll: The FINALS : Poster of the year 2022

Corona Virus on 16:37 - Mar 8 with 2703 viewslondonlisa2001

Corona Virus on 16:31 - Mar 8 by Cooperman

It’s the fear of the unknown that drives people to do irrational things such as stock up on toilet roll. Vaccination for the weak, old and vulnerable against flu does give off some sense of security; COVID-19 on the other hand is a little bit of an unknown as you rightly reference below and this just fuels the panic and hysteria.

The current deliberate campaign to scare people through the media is also having an effect.

There’s a degree of behaviour change and self isolation required to prevent uncontrollable strain on the NHS and it’s working to an extent. Numbers of people around in London is noticeably down. It’s also having a noticeable effect on hygiene (people washing hands etc). it’s obviously very serious but there has to be a balance otherwise many will get ill with worry.
Corona Virus on 16:38 - Mar 8 with 2703 viewsCooperman

Corona Virus on 15:58 - Mar 8 by Professor

Yes. Due to go to New York on a family trip in April. Preparing the kids for disappointment already

We had booked to go to Hong Kong but we flipped it to Singapore due to the political unrest. This also now seems unlikely.

Corona Virus on 16:42 - Mar 8 with 2678 viewsexiledclaseboy

Corona Virus on 16:37 - Mar 8 by londonlisa2001

The current deliberate campaign to scare people through the media is also having an effect.

There’s a degree of behaviour change and self isolation required to prevent uncontrollable strain on the NHS and it’s working to an extent. Numbers of people around in London is noticeably down. It’s also having a noticeable effect on hygiene (people washing hands etc). it’s obviously very serious but there has to be a balance otherwise many will get ill with worry.

I’ve been up in the Smoke quite a lot in the last few weeks. Last week especially I noticed that there were far fewer people out and about than normal. Paddington was noticeably less crowded as was the tube. The hotel I stayed at was just off a Kensington High Street which was also quieter than usual. We’ve also had to cancel at least one industry meeting due to people being unwilling to participate at the moment. Silly mun.

Poll: Tory leader

Corona Virus on 16:47 - Mar 8 with 2666 viewslondonlisa2001

Corona Virus on 16:42 - Mar 8 by exiledclaseboy

I’ve been up in the Smoke quite a lot in the last few weeks. Last week especially I noticed that there were far fewer people out and about than normal. Paddington was noticeably less crowded as was the tube. The hotel I stayed at was just off a Kensington High Street which was also quieter than usual. We’ve also had to cancel at least one industry meeting due to people being unwilling to participate at the moment. Silly mun.

There are loads less tourists. Partly, of course, since the Chinese make up a good percentage and they’re not coming.

I had a meeting last week next to St Paul’s and I’ve never seen it with so few people.

I’m not sure it’s silly. Delaying a major drain on the NHS until the weather picks up and the usual flu season subsides will be a huge help. Also they are unsure at present whether UV light will kill the virus (or weaken it) as it does with other viruses. If so, and it disappears until next winter, that gives them a window to develop a vaccine for the vulnerable. Or to find the most effective treatments.
Corona Virus on 16:47 - Mar 8 with 2667 viewsExiledJack

Corona Virus on 16:34 - Mar 8 by NotLoyal

When two sense of humours don't match, they don't match.
Although I do love a bit of violence now and again, don't we all ❄️

I’m not treating this as a laughing matter, so would disagree that’s it’s a case of sense of humour not matching.

Our respective understanding of the situation clearly doesn’t match though, and as I’ve said before I hope you are right.
Corona Virus on 16:56 - Mar 8 with 2641 viewsProfessor

Lisa

Sadly this is the best simple description of the pathology in the severe cases. Yes, there is a range of pathologies and there will be milder cases, but like a common cold is a gross understatement.
This is a serious disease in the susceptible populations where mortality rates are well over 10%. I am surprised by how serious it is. I just hope our awareness is sufficient to limit spread. Will certainly worry if we get to 500 new cases per day. And yes, of course, the vast majority will recover.
Corona Virus on 16:57 - Mar 8 with 2636 viewsNotLoyal

Corona Virus on 16:47 - Mar 8 by ExiledJack

I’m not treating this as a laughing matter, so would disagree that’s it’s a case of sense of humour not matching.

Our respective understanding of the situation clearly doesn’t match though, and as I’ve said before I hope you are right.

So do I, if I can remember what the point of our conversation is I'll get back to you.

OK I've changed it.
Poll: The FINALS : Poster of the year 2022

Corona Virus on 17:03 - Mar 8 with 2609 viewsProfessor

Corona Virus on 16:47 - Mar 8 by londonlisa2001

There are loads less tourists. Partly, of course, since the Chinese make up a good percentage and they’re not coming.

I had a meeting last week next to St Paul’s and I’ve never seen it with so few people.

I’m not sure it’s silly. Delaying a major drain on the NHS until the weather picks up and the usual flu season subsides will be a huge help. Also they are unsure at present whether UV light will kill the virus (or weaken it) as it does with other viruses. If so, and it disappears until next winter, that gives them a window to develop a vaccine for the vulnerable. Or to find the most effective treatments.

This is absolutely the case. A hot, sunny spell would be great. The contain/delay approach is pretty sensible
Corona Virus on 17:51 - Mar 8 with 2560 viewslondonlisa2001

Corona Virus on 16:56 - Mar 8 by Professor

Lisa

Sadly this is the best simple description of the pathology in the severe cases. Yes, there is a range of pathologies and there will be milder cases, but like a common cold is a gross understatement.
This is a serious disease in the susceptible populations where mortality rates are well over 10%. I am surprised by how serious it is. I just hope our awareness is sufficient to limit spread. Will certainly worry if we get to 500 new cases per day. And yes, of course, the vast majority will recover.

Indeed. But the post you replied to differentiated between 80% and 20%. 20% of infections are not going to result in that extreme outcome.

The estimates are that around 5% may result in that sort of reaction, and generally in cases where there are severe underlying issues. In Italy, as an example, 98% of those that have died have two or more underlying health issues according to their medical staff. The issue there of course, was that sustained infection occurred in hospital before testing commenced. By definition, those in hospital are there due to an underlying health issue.
Corona Virus on 18:06 - Mar 8 with 2518 viewsProfessor

Corona Virus on 17:51 - Mar 8 by londonlisa2001

Indeed. But the post you replied to differentiated between 80% and 20%. 20% of infections are not going to result in that extreme outcome.

The estimates are that around 5% may result in that sort of reaction, and generally in cases where there are severe underlying issues. In Italy, as an example, 98% of those that have died have two or more underlying health issues according to their medical staff. The issue there of course, was that sustained infection occurred in hospital before testing commenced. By definition, those in hospital are there due to an underlying health issue.

I believe the latest thinking is about 20% of all infections would
Ordinarily be hospitalised. Of course this be disproportionately higher than a healthy population when including the susceptibles. Nevertheless 0.1 to 0.2% mortality in healthy 20-49 year olds is
Much higher than seasonal flu. This is very much a foretaste
Of what a truly pandemic flu could do and indeed the longer term impact of AMR in day-to-day life

Let’s just hope we keep the epidemic rate or R0 as close to one as possible
Corona Virus on 18:08 - Mar 8 with 2511 viewsThebus

Corona Virus on 16:32 - Mar 8 by Cooperman

You don’t seem to get that vaccination against flu is possible. You don’t get that there isn’t a quick fix for this.

No what you don’t realise is I’m happy to go about my daily life and don’t want to be put in quarantine by the authorities. If you have underlying health problems, take more care.
As for the rest of us carry on as usual.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024