Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Anyone booked a holiday abroad for this summer? 16:24 - Mar 13 with 5173 viewslifelong

Travel Insurance companies are sending out emails telling customers to make sure they have Travel Disruption Extension cover on their policy. Otherwise, should the holiday be cancelled because of the virus you are likely to lose your money.
Anyone booked a holiday abroad for this summer? on 20:33 - Mar 13 with 4281 viewsJacksawayatWalesgame

I heard that too. The missus and I have a cruise booked for May, starting in Barcelona and ending in Rome. I'm assuming that if the cruise can't go ahead because of Coronavirus the cruise company would refund everyone anyway, so we wouldn't have to rely on the insurance ? The same for flights etc ? Hope so anyway.
Anyone booked a holiday abroad for this summer? on 20:34 - Mar 13 with 4274 viewsdickythorpe

Good luck to all, it must be deflating. A holiday is such a focal point for all who work hard, plus families never forget them.
Anyone booked a holiday abroad for this summer? on 21:05 - Mar 13 with 4220 viewsItchySphincter

So cancellation or curtailment cover on a policy is worthless without travel disruption extension?

‘……. like a moth to Itchy’s flame ……’
Poll: Planet Swans or Planet Swans? Which one's you favourite.

Anyone booked a holiday abroad for this summer? on 21:20 - Mar 13 with 4188 viewsItchySphincter

Anyone booked a holiday abroad for this summer? on 21:05 - Mar 13 by ItchySphincter

So cancellation or curtailment cover on a policy is worthless without travel disruption extension?

The OP appears to be vague scaremongering rather than informative. A quick search turned us this:

Covers you for cancellation or cutting your holiday short if the FCO advise against travel to your destination due to an unforeseen event such as a natural disaster, infectious disease (like the coronavirus) or terrorism.

Other results seem to say it covers missed or delayed flights (depending on circumstances), etc. So it appears to be something that kicks in once your holiday is due to have started rather than it being cancelled in advance by circumstances beyond your control.

Anyone booked a holiday abroad for this summer? on 21:50 - Mar 13 with 4143 viewsAndy1300

Not sure if we will be going to Paphos end of April now as they have cancelled all flights to Cyprus for now

This is to replace a previously cancelled holiday due to the Thomas Cook collapse
[Post edited 13 Mar 2020 21:50]

Number 1 team in Wales

Anyone booked a holiday abroad for this summer? on 21:52 - Mar 13 with 4128 viewsexiledclaseboy

Anyone booked a holiday abroad for this summer? on 21:50 - Mar 13 by Andy1300

Not sure if we will be going to Paphos end of April now as they have cancelled all flights to Cyprus for now

This is to replace a previously cancelled holiday due to the Thomas Cook collapse

Sounds like you’re jinxed mush. Book Butlin’s instead.

Poll: Tory leader

Anyone booked a holiday abroad for this summer? on 22:37 - Mar 13 with 4071 viewsmajorraglan

LV have stopped selling Travel Insurance and other companies are looking at their terms and conditions.

I am currently in Malta, the government had already introduced a ban on flights from some countries, they have now announced strict quarantine measures - any visitors will be quarantined for 14 days and any citizens returning home will be required to self quarantine for the same period. When we arrived our temperatures were measured by staff using laser thermometers and kitted up with masks etc. The government have also introduced a food supply service and have told people if they breach the quarantine it’s a fine of up to €1000 - per breach - not sure how they will enforce it but they aren’t messing about.
Anyone booked a holiday abroad for this summer? on 23:46 - Mar 13 with 4008 viewslifelong

Anyone booked a holiday abroad for this summer? on 21:20 - Mar 13 by ItchySphincter

The OP appears to be vague scaremongering rather than informative. A quick search turned us this:

Covers you for cancellation or cutting your holiday short if the FCO advise against travel to your destination due to an unforeseen event such as a natural disaster, infectious disease (like the coronavirus) or terrorism.

Other results seem to say it covers missed or delayed flights (depending on circumstances), etc. So it appears to be something that kicks in once your holiday is due to have started rather than it being cancelled in advance by circumstances beyond your control.

Not scaremongering whatsoever, attempting to be informative.
Attached is a copy of a document received today,by someone close, from a travel insurance company.
Login to get fewer ads

Anyone booked a holiday abroad for this summer? on 04:05 - Mar 14 with 3944 viewsNotLoyal

Anyone booked a holiday abroad for this summer? on 22:37 - Mar 13 by majorraglan

LV have stopped selling Travel Insurance and other companies are looking at their terms and conditions.

I am currently in Malta, the government had already introduced a ban on flights from some countries, they have now announced strict quarantine measures - any visitors will be quarantined for 14 days and any citizens returning home will be required to self quarantine for the same period. When we arrived our temperatures were measured by staff using laser thermometers and kitted up with masks etc. The government have also introduced a food supply service and have told people if they breach the quarantine it’s a fine of up to €1000 - per breach - not sure how they will enforce it but they aren’t messing about.

I should imagine they will throw the bastards in jail.

OK I've changed it.
Poll: The FINALS : Poster of the year 2022

Anyone booked a holiday abroad for this summer? on 07:58 - Mar 14 with 3870 viewsWhiterockin

Anyone booked a holiday abroad for this summer? on 21:52 - Mar 13 by exiledclaseboy

Sounds like you’re jinxed mush. Book Butlin’s instead.

Would be fine if you stayed in your chalet. Gatherings over a certain number will be banned this week, so this will affect holiday resorts in this country.
Anyone booked a holiday abroad for this summer? on 08:04 - Mar 14 with 3864 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Anyone booked a holiday abroad for this summer? on 21:50 - Mar 13 by Andy1300

A friend is out there now, I wonder if he will be allowed back?

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Anyone booked a holiday abroad for this summer? on 09:41 - Mar 14 with 3792 viewsdickythorpe

I saw on the news that if you go to New Zealand you have to self isolate for 2 weeks.
Anyone booked a holiday abroad for this summer? on 11:46 - Mar 14 with 3707 viewsFerryjack

Anyone booked a holiday abroad for this summer? on 23:46 - Mar 13 by lifelong

Not scaremongering whatsoever, attempting to be informative.
Attached is a copy of a document received today,by someone close, from a travel insurance company.

I have holiday insurance with Staysure & received this same email on Thursday, since then i have phoned on numerous occasions & after giving more numbers to phone it says sorry but this call will be terminated due to the volume being received. Tried to access the website it takes to long to connect so can chucks you out. Tried again this morning & was put in a queue for 45 mins got through but again chucked out. Went on the site 5mins ago & it says sorry but you cannot add Travel Disruption Extension any more brilliant. I have a cruise booked that needs paying in 14 days i think i will cancel loss the £100 deposit & rebook if things get better.
Anyone booked a holiday abroad for this summer? on 12:29 - Mar 14 with 3653 viewsNeath_Jack

My mate is out in Poland on a stag do at the moment. All flights out of there are getting cancelled tonight, so they are now on a train to Berlin, and hoping to fly home Monday morning from there.

I want a mate like Flashberryjacks, who wears a Barnsley jersey with "Swans are my second team" on the back.
Poll: Would you support military action against Syria on what we know so far?

Anyone booked a holiday abroad for this summer? on 12:53 - Mar 14 with 3636 viewsCatullus

We tend to save the cash up then go in a see what last minute bargains there are. This year though, we shall mostly be holidaying in the back garden and see how next year pans out.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Anyone booked a holiday abroad for this summer? on 18:32 - Mar 14 with 3475 viewsPacemaker

Anyone booked a holiday abroad for this summer? on 09:41 - Mar 14 by dickythorpe

I saw on the news that if you go to New Zealand you have to self isolate for 2 weeks.

Just had to cancel everything, I was going for 3 weeks to see my daughter and grandchildren, the NZ policy whilst understandable to self isolate for two weeks means there was no point in is going as we were travelling around NZ with all our family.

The problem for me was I had spent a lot of money on flights accommodation etc but NZ were not stopping you going, but stopping you going anywhere so airline attitude was not our problem we just have to get you there as part of our contract.

Luckily Trump sorted it by blocking UK flights going through US.

Life is an adventure or nothing at all.

Anyone booked a holiday abroad for this summer? on 18:37 - Mar 14 with 3466 viewsWxmJax

A friend is holidaying in Australia before going on to visit her son for a month in NZ next week. Pretty crap.

Poll: England, General Election: How are you going to vote ?

Anyone booked a holiday abroad for this summer? on 19:02 - Mar 14 with 3432 viewsperplex

If your travel insurance do try to pull a fast one and use the Corona Virus as an excuse not to pay out you simply go down another path for eg medical onset problems etc, always have a plan b because a lot of these company`s will look for any excuse not to pay out, just be as clever as them if they try it on.
Anyone booked a holiday abroad for this summer? on 19:02 - Mar 14 with 3432 viewsCooperman

Anyone booked a holiday abroad for this summer? on 18:32 - Mar 14 by Pacemaker

Just had to cancel everything, I was going for 3 weeks to see my daughter and grandchildren, the NZ policy whilst understandable to self isolate for two weeks means there was no point in is going as we were travelling around NZ with all our family.

The problem for me was I had spent a lot of money on flights accommodation etc but NZ were not stopping you going, but stopping you going anywhere so airline attitude was not our problem we just have to get you there as part of our contract.

Luckily Trump sorted it by blocking UK flights going through US.

Have you already cancelled? If not then consider not rushing in. Many airlines are introducing waivers for change fees and the like. If the airline is forced to cancel the flight due to them not being able to fly you there then refunds are almost certain.

Poll: Your confectionery tub of choice

Anyone booked a holiday abroad for this summer? on 10:47 - Mar 15 with 3230 viewsPacemaker

Anyone booked a holiday abroad for this summer? on 19:02 - Mar 14 by Cooperman

Have you already cancelled? If not then consider not rushing in. Many airlines are introducing waivers for change fees and the like. If the airline is forced to cancel the flight due to them not being able to fly you there then refunds are almost certain.

I have not cancelled the flights as I cannot actually fly through SFO now due to US ban, I am trying to see if I can reschedule for next December. The flights are non refundable so hopefully my travel insurance will cover me.

This is actually my second set of flights to NZ, my first was through China on China Southern that was cancelled as NZ refused all flights from China last month, I booked these Flights thinking stay away from Asia and go through the States, that has now shut down, hopefully I can get out next winter. My daughter and grandchildren are my main concern and I wouldn’t do anything to cause any harm.

Everyone just needs to calm down and hopefully by next year we will be over the worst of it.

Is it going to effect your work much Coops? I know you are travelling worldwide regularly.

Anyone booked a holiday abroad for this summer? on 10:49 - Mar 15 with 3226 viewsPacemaker

Anyone booked a holiday abroad for this summer? on 19:02 - Mar 14 by perplex

If your travel insurance do try to pull a fast one and use the Corona Virus as an excuse not to pay out you simply go down another path for eg medical onset problems etc, always have a plan b because a lot of these company`s will look for any excuse not to pay out, just be as clever as them if they try it on.

I think that falls under fraud so I dint think I will take your advice, if they don’t pay out I will have lost money not my liberty.

Anyone booked a holiday abroad for this summer? on 10:57 - Mar 15 with 3212 viewsmonmouth

Anyone booked a holiday abroad for this summer? on 11:46 - Mar 14 by Ferryjack

I have holiday insurance with Staysure & received this same email on Thursday, since then i have phoned on numerous occasions & after giving more numbers to phone it says sorry but this call will be terminated due to the volume being received. Tried to access the website it takes to long to connect so can chucks you out. Tried again this morning & was put in a queue for 45 mins got through but again chucked out. Went on the site 5mins ago & it says sorry but you cannot add Travel Disruption Extension any more brilliant. I have a cruise booked that needs paying in 14 days i think i will cancel loss the £100 deposit & rebook if things get better.

It had to happen. Insurance is about pricing risks. Personally, I wouldn't be going near a cruise ship at the moment anyway. I'd rather lose £100 in a heartbeat.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Anyone booked a holiday abroad for this summer? on 11:18 - Mar 15 with 3191 viewsItchySphincter

Anyone booked a holiday abroad for this summer? on 12:53 - Mar 14 by Catullus

We tend to save the cash up then go in a see what last minute bargains there are. This year though, we shall mostly be holidaying in the back garden and see how next year pans out.

Good plan. We're supposed to be in Cyprus mid-May but I can't really see it going ahead. I had to pay the lot up a month or so ago and because I take out my own multi-trip travel insurance annually due to work I don't have the tour operators insurance. So, according to this thread I don't think I'm covered for a refund event though I have cancellation and curtailment on the policy.

What strikes me as odd though, and I'm not sure what point I'm missing here, is this: I am supposed to be in Cyprus for seven days and the current UK advice is that travel to the destination is permitted. The Cypriot advice is that anyone arriving from the UK must self isolate for 14 days upon arrival. How does that even tally up and why are the operators still advising us to go? The foreign office needs to advise against all but essential foreign travel at which point we become ATOL protected but they'd rather the customer lose their money than the operators and airlines.

Anyone booked a holiday abroad for this summer? on 11:34 - Mar 15 with 3179 viewsCooperman

Anyone booked a holiday abroad for this summer? on 10:47 - Mar 15 by Pacemaker

I have not cancelled the flights as I cannot actually fly through SFO now due to US ban, I am trying to see if I can reschedule for next December. The flights are non refundable so hopefully my travel insurance will cover me.

This is actually my second set of flights to NZ, my first was through China on China Southern that was cancelled as NZ refused all flights from China last month, I booked these Flights thinking stay away from Asia and go through the States, that has now shut down, hopefully I can get out next winter. My daughter and grandchildren are my main concern and I wouldn’t do anything to cause any harm.

Everyone just needs to calm down and hopefully by next year we will be over the worst of it.

Is it going to effect your work much Coops? I know you are travelling worldwide regularly.

What airline and what was your ticket set up? Were you heading to NZ via SFO all on one ticket? If so then you will almost certainly be covered for refund as the airline has / will cancel the first leg of your travel. British Airways (as an example) are offering zero change fees and the option of delaying travel dates to later in the year; the last thing the airlines need is being forced to refund hundreds of millions of Pounds to the public as they simply don't have the cash. At the very worst I hope you can rearrange your flights for a different date and for zero cash outlay. My only warning is that you will need extreme patience when calling the airline.

As for me, at a corporate level I am well and truly grounded. My three main destinations were Japan, Italy and China. As it stands now my Italian flights for the next few weeks have been cancelled; China in May is also cancelled but Japan week after next and in mid May are still going so watch this space. The latter is accompanying the UK Government and Department for International Trade so I'm waiting to see their stance.

I'm also hanging on with regards to holidays. Toronto for Easter isn't yet locked down but I am expecting it any day now and I've got my fingers cross that all this clears up in time for the summer.

Poll: Your confectionery tub of choice

Anyone booked a holiday abroad for this summer? on 11:47 - Mar 15 with 3160 viewsPacemaker

Anyone booked a holiday abroad for this summer? on 11:34 - Mar 15 by Cooperman

What airline and what was your ticket set up? Were you heading to NZ via SFO all on one ticket? If so then you will almost certainly be covered for refund as the airline has / will cancel the first leg of your travel. British Airways (as an example) are offering zero change fees and the option of delaying travel dates to later in the year; the last thing the airlines need is being forced to refund hundreds of millions of Pounds to the public as they simply don't have the cash. At the very worst I hope you can rearrange your flights for a different date and for zero cash outlay. My only warning is that you will need extreme patience when calling the airline.

As for me, at a corporate level I am well and truly grounded. My three main destinations were Japan, Italy and China. As it stands now my Italian flights for the next few weeks have been cancelled; China in May is also cancelled but Japan week after next and in mid May are still going so watch this space. The latter is accompanying the UK Government and Department for International Trade so I'm waiting to see their stance.

I'm also hanging on with regards to holidays. Toronto for Easter isn't yet locked down but I am expecting it any day now and I've got my fingers cross that all this clears up in time for the summer.

I was flying with Austrian/United On a code share LHR to AKL via SFO. Not a route I would choose ordinarily but this was early Feb and I wanted to avoid Asia and thought the US would be a safer route.

So ticket is fine from the US block point of view, I normally always fly Air NZ or Singapore Airlines out to NZ but my family have had some brilliant business class flights with China Southern so thought I would try them out, that obviously didn’t end well but I did get almost all of the fare refunded.

I have made contact with travel agent and I am waiting to see what comes back. If I can fly out next Christmas then fine otherwise it’s not much use to me later in the year unless I can transfer to my daughter to come back or just use the SFO leg to visit my brother who lives between Houston and San Fran depends on work.

Hopefully the annual travel Insurance I pay a lot of money for comes up trumps otherwise.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024