Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Windrush scandal: Home Office showed 'ignorance’ of race ... 11:26 - Mar 20 with 139 viewstheloneranger

"The Home Office showed “ignorance and thoughtlessness” on the issue of race, a review of the Windrush scandal says.

The long-awaited review comes after some of those who came to the UK from Commonwealth countries were wrongly told they were in Britain illegally.

There was a “profound institutional failure” which turned thousands of people’s lives upside down, it said.

Warnings about the “hostile environment” policy were “not heeded”, the review concludes.

Report writer Wendy Williams, an inspector of constabulary, called on the government to provide an “unqualified apology” to those affected and the wider black African-Caribbean community.

Speaking in the House of Commons Home Secretary Priti Patel said there was "nothing I can say to undo the pain" but added "on behalf of this and successive governments I am truly sorry for the actions that span decades".

Ms Patel said people from the Windrush generation were subject to "insensitive treatment by the very country they called home".

"I am sorry that people's trust has been betrayed."

She added that those who were eligible would receive compensation"

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/mar/19/windrush-report-condemns-home-of

Everyday above ground ... Is a good day! 😎

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024