Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Covid-19 deaths 20:07 - Mar 28 with 5414 viewsNotLoyal

Still many unanswered questions, are people dying because of the virus or are they dying and have the virus. It's vitally important, plus locations of deaths in the UK (not exact of course) but ages, culture and any other helpful information as well. How it was contracted etc.

OK I've changed it.
Poll: The FINALS : Poster of the year 2022

Covid-19 deaths on 08:17 - Mar 29 with 1244 viewsScotia

Covid-19 deaths on 22:38 - Mar 28 by Joe_bradshaw

I have been trying to find out this information without success. I've been on immunosuppressants for 26 years and am now 63. My consultant and GP have both told me that I am at considerable risk should I get it. I have asked for details and just been told to do everything possible not to get it.

More specific information about the underlying conditions would be very helpful even if it is frightening.

This is my issue too, and I think more info would be useful even if it is bad news.

My mother is just 70 but with mild, well controlled, type 2 diabetes. My Dad was 73 in Feb but seems very healthy. Obviously my old girl is lumped in the group with people with very severe diabetes and my old man with healthy 100 year olds.

They haven't left the house for a fortnight, and like everyone are going a bit nuts. Obviously can't take risks but it would be handy to have some more information about the actual risks.
Covid-19 deaths on 11:12 - Mar 29 with 1168 viewsCatullus

It seemed obvious, as soon as we realised how serious this is that people would die because of Covid but not of it. An already overstretched NHS, a country that could never have been prepared for a Pandemic (because who knew?) and too many people being utterly stupid and not obeying the distancing rules.

That said, people can criticise the government for the NHS being underfunded etc, lets face it if we kept the NHS overfunded, overstaffed and overequipped 'just in case' there would be massive complaints from some, maybe those who seek value for public money.
In reality the NHS will always need to have spare capacity even for a normal seasonal flu but that costs. Keeping spare wards clean and stocked, maintaining equipment and paying for staff who aren't needed, is everybody prepared to pay for that?

Death will always be with us regardless of Covid and in these times where we are stretched beyond any predictions can we really expect that they will clog up facilities with dead bodies to do post mortems on when the living need that space?

We could never be prepared for this but we can fight it together, get through it but all the while accepting that there are things we might never know, like this stat about deaths which, lets face it would only be a sticking plaster on peoples worries.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Covid-19 deaths on 15:15 - Mar 29 with 1097 viewsDJack

Covid-19 deaths on 11:12 - Mar 29 by Catullus

It seemed obvious, as soon as we realised how serious this is that people would die because of Covid but not of it. An already overstretched NHS, a country that could never have been prepared for a Pandemic (because who knew?) and too many people being utterly stupid and not obeying the distancing rules.

That said, people can criticise the government for the NHS being underfunded etc, lets face it if we kept the NHS overfunded, overstaffed and overequipped 'just in case' there would be massive complaints from some, maybe those who seek value for public money.
In reality the NHS will always need to have spare capacity even for a normal seasonal flu but that costs. Keeping spare wards clean and stocked, maintaining equipment and paying for staff who aren't needed, is everybody prepared to pay for that?

Death will always be with us regardless of Covid and in these times where we are stretched beyond any predictions can we really expect that they will clog up facilities with dead bodies to do post mortems on when the living need that space?

We could never be prepared for this but we can fight it together, get through it but all the while accepting that there are things we might never know, like this stat about deaths which, lets face it would only be a sticking plaster on peoples worries.

The whole world was waiting for a Flu Pandemic. We did modelling/planning for it and this knowledge was/is transferable. One of the many stupid things to happen was that Jeremy Hunt refused to pay for a stockpile of NHS kit for a pandemic.

Also, our government saw what happened in China, hell they had the full medical and epidemiological reports afterv the point that China realsed it was something they could not poo-poo. They then saw it happen to Italy and yet they still dithered and went half-arsed.

Most of the blame lies squarely with the Government, the same Government shouting " Protect the NHS" ...an instituation it has constantly underfunded and tried to part privatise for it's ideological reasons and/or its mates in the private sector. Ultimately a NHS pandemic stockpile should be part of a stategic reserve and not part of NHS budget.

So in summary it is a load of dissembling bullshit to say we could never have been prepared for this and the current Government has blood on its hands.

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan

Covid-19 deaths on 16:16 - Mar 29 with 1035 viewslondonlisa2001

Covid-19 deaths on 20:37 - Mar 28 by Neath_Jack

It was reported earlier today that 12 of the most recent deaths (last 24 hours), were people who were healthy and no known underlying health conditions. There has been other healthy people that ave died who were said to be healthy too.

Some of the reporting seems to be a little too quick.

The poor 21 year old who died last week and was said to be a death from the virus with no underlying conditions turns out to have been a heart attack and did not test positive. Still tragic, of course, but there may be instances where mistakes are made at present.
Covid-19 deaths on 16:55 - Mar 29 with 1005 viewsladyjack

Let's hope our curve flattens off very quickly.
Covid-19 deaths on 11:31 - Mar 30 with 891 viewsThebus

You watch and when the Coronavirus crisis subsides and all the data is at hand, i honestly believe probably 1 in every 1000 people who developed the virus actually needed hospital treatment.

600,000 people die each year in the U.K. that figure will more or less remain the same for this year.
Covid-19 deaths on 11:36 - Mar 30 with 880 viewsThebus

Also many of the people who have sadly died due to “Coronavirus” haven’t actually died from the virus - therefore the figures they give is extremely misleading.
Covid-19 deaths on 11:51 - Mar 30 with 864 viewsjojaca

Covid-19 deaths on 11:36 - Mar 30 by Thebus

Also many of the people who have sadly died due to “Coronavirus” haven’t actually died from the virus - therefore the figures they give is extremely misleading.

More people are questioning the numbers on the death poll. Apparently there were more deaths this time last year, but I can't confirm it.

Even when you know, you never know?

Login to get fewer ads

Covid-19 deaths on 11:58 - Mar 30 with 850 viewsJoe_bradshaw

Covid-19 deaths on 11:36 - Mar 30 by Thebus

There are people who are dying of cancer and are not expected to live more than a week or two who die and test positive. They are then included in the figures for Corvid-19 deaths.
Germany is not including those people in their statistics whilst most of the rest of the world is.
Germany has 62,000 cases and 540 deaths. We have just under 20,000 cases and 1220 deaths. Germany does not have a magic cure for Coronavirus.

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

Covid-19 deaths on 11:59 - Mar 30 with 849 viewsThebus

Covid-19 deaths on 11:51 - Mar 30 by jojaca

More people are questioning the numbers on the death poll. Apparently there were more deaths this time last year, but I can't confirm it.

The truth is lots of the people who contracted the virus and subsequently died would have died anyway, even if they hadn’t had the virus. As I’ve already said the figures are not accurate and seem to be used as a weapon to scare the population.
Covid-19 deaths on 12:00 - Mar 30 with 846 viewsThebus

Covid-19 deaths on 11:58 - Mar 30 by Joe_bradshaw

There are people who are dying of cancer and are not expected to live more than a week or two who die and test positive. They are then included in the figures for Corvid-19 deaths.
Germany is not including those people in their statistics whilst most of the rest of the world is.
Germany has 62,000 cases and 540 deaths. We have just under 20,000 cases and 1220 deaths. Germany does not have a magic cure for Coronavirus.

I totally agree
Covid-19 deaths on 12:13 - Mar 30 with 809 viewsJoe_bradshaw

Covid-19 deaths on 12:00 - Mar 30 by Thebus

I totally agree

Having said that, particularly vulnerable people will die if they get it. They would die of Flu (proper Flu that is) if they got it but they have the flu jab which normally offsets the worst of the symptoms. Those people need to be protected, ideally by inoculation.

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

Covid-19 deaths on 12:15 - Mar 30 with 803 viewsCatullus

Covid-19 deaths on 15:15 - Mar 29 by DJack

The whole world was waiting for a Flu Pandemic. We did modelling/planning for it and this knowledge was/is transferable. One of the many stupid things to happen was that Jeremy Hunt refused to pay for a stockpile of NHS kit for a pandemic.

Also, our government saw what happened in China, hell they had the full medical and epidemiological reports afterv the point that China realsed it was something they could not poo-poo. They then saw it happen to Italy and yet they still dithered and went half-arsed.

Most of the blame lies squarely with the Government, the same Government shouting " Protect the NHS" ...an instituation it has constantly underfunded and tried to part privatise for it's ideological reasons and/or its mates in the private sector. Ultimately a NHS pandemic stockpile should be part of a stategic reserve and not part of NHS budget.

So in summary it is a load of dissembling bullshit to say we could never have been prepared for this and the current Government has blood on its hands.

It wasn't dissembling at all, it was an honest opinion.

I will stand by the belief that if we spent many millions on keeping the NHS over staffed and over equipped in case an event (truly a once in a generation event) strikes there would be even more complaints than we have now.
Next time around ther will be a tried and tested plan, like many Asian countries who have sadly experienced epidemics (SARS, MERS) we will have the experience needed.

You can wait all your life for something and it might not happen. We need a plan for when it does but we can't spend money keeping at a state of readiness for every outcome.

Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?

Covid-19 deaths on 12:17 - Mar 30 with 798 viewsjasper_T

The NHS is the largest employer in the UK (last I checked) so investment into it is good for the economy. There's isn't a "national credit card" that has to be paid off when you're talking about employment and infrastructure investment, the calculations aren't that straightforward. Austerity doesn't bring prosperity to other sectors. We try to give big companies massive tax breaks to bring jobs all the time.

There's obviously market share our national health service could move into in times of comfort, or else private medicine wouldn't exist in the UK.
Covid-19 deaths on 12:20 - Mar 30 with 790 viewsThebus

Covid-19 deaths on 12:13 - Mar 30 by Joe_bradshaw

Having said that, particularly vulnerable people will die if they get it. They would die of Flu (proper Flu that is) if they got it but they have the flu jab which normally offsets the worst of the symptoms. Those people need to be protected, ideally by inoculation.

I agree again. Problem is how many people will die due to the lockdown ?
It’s imperative that the lockdown ends ASAP.
Covid-19 deaths on 12:20 - Mar 30 with 789 viewsNotLoyal

Just spoken to family in Spain, jeez there’s nearly a thousand people dying a day there, and let’s not forget a huge country of only 46 million or so. Honestly govts need to release proper figures on causation. Bloody ice rinks being turned in to temporary mortuaries in certain areas. However, people are being very cautious, all wearing masks and gloves, police on the streets in large numbers and implementing the new laws to the full. And in Spain I can imagine that’s very properly.

OK I've changed it.
Poll: The FINALS : Poster of the year 2022

Covid-19 deaths on 12:33 - Mar 30 with 759 viewsThebus

According to the death toll in Italy over 10,000 people have been counted, but according to the Financial Times only 12% of those deaths are directed attributed to the virus itself.
Covid-19 deaths on 12:42 - Mar 30 with 743 viewsjasper_T

Covid-19 deaths on 12:15 - Mar 30 by Catullus

It wasn't dissembling at all, it was an honest opinion.

I will stand by the belief that if we spent many millions on keeping the NHS over staffed and over equipped in case an event (truly a once in a generation event) strikes there would be even more complaints than we have now.
Next time around ther will be a tried and tested plan, like many Asian countries who have sadly experienced epidemics (SARS, MERS) we will have the experience needed.

You can wait all your life for something and it might not happen. We need a plan for when it does but we can't spend money keeping at a state of readiness for every outcome.

There'd probably have been less complaints about waiting times and working hours and conditions before the pandemic began, though. Less people forced to pay for privatised medicine to get treatment they need.
Covid-19 deaths on 13:01 - Mar 30 with 703 viewsCatullus

Covid-19 deaths on 12:42 - Mar 30 by jasper_T

There'd probably have been less complaints about waiting times and working hours and conditions before the pandemic began, though. Less people forced to pay for privatised medicine to get treatment they need.

Well yes, obviously. If it was overstaffed, overequipped and overfunded there might not have been any waiting lists. In which case we'd have been more prepared for this Pandemic. That wasn't my point though.

Maybe I should state that I would like to see the NHS with a permanent spare capacity, I wouldn't be complaining but still, I absolutely guarantee there would be ructions because people would ask why we are paying so much extra tax or that we should be spending more on schools or police, on infrastructure (not on staff and equipment that at the time we don't need) and the biggest complaints of all would come from the rich and from corporate power brokers who would want a bigger share of the very lucrative pie.

Then there's the politicians, the opposition would be calling the over staffed/funded/equipped situation a waste of public money.

How many people on here would be happy if our income tax was 5 or even 10p in the pound higher?

Covid-19 deaths on 13:12 - Mar 30 with 680 viewschad

Likely that some of those who are not positive could be dying because of the virus too. Where operations etc. cancelled.
Covid-19 deaths on 13:44 - Mar 30 with 639 viewskarnataka

Covid-19 deaths on 21:03 - Mar 28 by BillyChong

Same goes for number of cases. How can it be even roughly accurate when they aren’t testing everyone?

Germany and S Korea and a few other places seem to be reporting much lower mortality rates because they introduced early massive test and trace programs so their number of confirmed cases is higher and more accurate. Germany are now also due to start issuing antibody certificates to those who have recovered. They are ahead of the curve while we are pissing £5.8M of potential NHS PPE, ventilators, etc up against the wall by writing a letter ffs.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/03/29/germany-will-issue-coronavirus-antib
Covid-19 deaths on 14:04 - Mar 30 with 614 viewsjasper_T

Covid-19 deaths on 13:01 - Mar 30 by Catullus

Well yes, obviously. If it was overstaffed, overequipped and overfunded there might not have been any waiting lists. In which case we'd have been more prepared for this Pandemic. That wasn't my point though.

Maybe I should state that I would like to see the NHS with a permanent spare capacity, I wouldn't be complaining but still, I absolutely guarantee there would be ructions because people would ask why we are paying so much extra tax or that we should be spending more on schools or police, on infrastructure (not on staff and equipment that at the time we don't need) and the biggest complaints of all would come from the rich and from corporate power brokers who would want a bigger share of the very lucrative pie.

Then there's the politicians, the opposition would be calling the over staffed/funded/equipped situation a waste of public money.

How many people on here would be happy if our income tax was 5 or even 10p in the pound higher?

So what's your argument? That we should bow to those people and graciously accept our NHS reaching breaking point with no PPE at the start of a pandemic, because they'd moan a bit?

We could be spending far more than we are on the NHS and still not be "overstaffed, overequipped and overfunded". We've been stripping it bare and making the level of service it provides worse for decades now.

The British public have internalised this "common sense" idea that we can't have nice things because they're just too expensive. It's why so many vote against their best interests, thinking they're the smart and responsible ones. Meanwhile wealth inequality grows wider and wider every year. The people at the top are laughing themselves silly (until the corona gets them, fingers crossed).
Covid-19 deaths on 14:34 - Mar 30 with 569 viewslondonlisa2001

Covid-19 deaths on 14:04 - Mar 30 by jasper_T

So what's your argument? That we should bow to those people and graciously accept our NHS reaching breaking point with no PPE at the start of a pandemic, because they'd moan a bit?

We could be spending far more than we are on the NHS and still not be "overstaffed, overequipped and overfunded". We've been stripping it bare and making the level of service it provides worse for decades now.

The British public have internalised this "common sense" idea that we can't have nice things because they're just too expensive. It's why so many vote against their best interests, thinking they're the smart and responsible ones. Meanwhile wealth inequality grows wider and wider every year. The people at the top are laughing themselves silly (until the corona gets them, fingers crossed).

“ (until the corona gets them, fingers crossed).”

That just makes you a complete tw*t.

Grow up.
Covid-19 deaths on 14:41 - Mar 30 with 559 viewspencoedjack

Covid-19 deaths on 13:01 - Mar 30 by Catullus

Personally I the NHS is way overstaffed unfortunately not with doctors & Nurses but admin staff.

Whichever department I go to in the POW Bridgend there seems to be so many people behind a counter its mind blowing.

One good thing that can come from the shite storm we find ourselves in is the need of using the correct IT tools for different jobs.
Covid-19 deaths on 14:43 - Mar 30 with 546 viewsjasper_T

Covid-19 deaths on 14:41 - Mar 30 by pencoedjack

Personally I the NHS is way overstaffed unfortunately not with doctors & Nurses but admin staff.

Whichever department I go to in the POW Bridgend there seems to be so many people behind a counter its mind blowing.

One good thing that can come from the shite storm we find ourselves in is the need of using the correct IT tools for different jobs.

A lot of people thought there were too many admin staff until those jobs started being cut and doctors and nurses had more and more paperwork added to their regular duties to make up for it.

A hospital takes a lot of organising.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024