Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Wales v West Germany 13:24 - Apr 4 with 1307 viewsdickythorpe

Rush anytime goalscorer 4/1 lump on
Wales v West Germany on 14:07 - Apr 4 with 1279 viewssP7qupUf

Just watching now when having a bit of lunch. That Welsh team was so much better than the present one.
Wales v West Germany on 14:16 - Apr 4 with 1268 viewspencoedjack

Wales v West Germany on 14:07 - Apr 4 by sP7qupUf

Just watching now when having a bit of lunch. That Welsh team was so much better than the present one.

Ratcliffe gives the ball away on a regular basis.

Agree though very good side.
Wales v West Germany on 14:19 - Apr 4 with 1265 viewsNeath_Jack

Wales v West Germany on 14:07 - Apr 4 by sP7qupUf

Its nuts how a team containing Rush, Saunders, Hughes, Southall and Ratcliff (all in their prime), never got to a major tournament. Yet the rag tag 2016 team, containing Ledley et al did.

I want a mate like Flashberryjacks, who wears a Barnsley jersey with "Swans are my second team" on the back.
Poll: Would you support military action against Syria on what we know so far?

Wales v West Germany on 14:28 - Apr 4 with 1253 viewsdickythorpe

Thought they were better than they were mind.

Hughes, Rush, Saunders all massive egos.
Peter Nicholas would be laughed at today
Wales v West Germany on 15:31 - Apr 4 with 1198 viewsFireboy2

Wales v West Germany on 14:19 - Apr 4 by Neath_Jack

Its nuts how a team containing Rush, Saunders, Hughes, Southall and Ratcliff (all in their prime), never got to a major tournament. Yet the rag tag 2016 team, containing Ledley et al did.

Better 'team' see.

And imo it's right as well.

Apart from rush, hughes, saunders, southall and ratcliffe who were all class the other were poor.

Today's team are better as the poor players of today are far better than the poor players of then therefore making today's team a better team.
Wales v West Germany on 15:38 - Apr 4 with 1189 viewsNeath_Jack

Wales v West Germany on 15:31 - Apr 4 by Fireboy2

Better 'team' see.

Apart from rush, hughes, saunders, southall and ratcliffe who were all class the other were poor.

Today's team are better as the poor players of today are far better than the poor players of then therefore making today's team a better team.

2016 were a better "team", agreed.

Individuals, the earlier team wins, numerous genuine world class players there, compared with 2016 who had just Bale.

I want a mate like Flashberryjacks, who wears a Barnsley jersey with "Swans are my second team" on the back.
Poll: Would you support military action against Syria on what we know so far?

Wales v West Germany on 15:39 - Apr 4 with 1183 viewsJoe_bradshaw

Wales v West Germany on 14:28 - Apr 4 by dickythorpe

Thought they were better than they were mind.

Hughes, Rush, Saunders all massive egos.
Peter Nicholas would be laughed at today

Rush didn’t have a massive ego, Dicky.

My Mrs worked in a hotel where that Welsh team regularly stayed. She often remarked that the biggest star of them all, Ian Rush was the most polite, reserved and pleasant of them all. Some of the younger players in the squad who rarely played were in her words “utter tw@ts”.

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

Wales v West Germany on 15:43 - Apr 4 with 1165 viewsdickythorpe

Wales v West Germany on 15:39 - Apr 4 by Joe_bradshaw

Rush didn’t have a massive ego, Dicky.

My Mrs worked in a hotel where that Welsh team regularly stayed. She often remarked that the biggest star of them all, Ian Rush was the most polite, reserved and pleasant of them all. Some of the younger players in the squad who rarely played were in her words “utter tw@ts”.

I don't doubt it at all that he was polite to the ladies Joe.
Login to get fewer ads

Wales v West Germany on 17:53 - Apr 4 with 1092 viewsthornabyswan

Wales v West Germany on 14:19 - Apr 4 by Neath_Jack

24 teams now Rush and Co would have made the Euros as well.
[Post edited 4 Apr 2020 17:54]

Poll: Would you like Cooper to stay or go (regardless of compensation situation)

Wales v West Germany on 01:48 - Apr 5 with 952 viewsKerouac

Wales v West Germany on 17:53 - Apr 4 by thornabyswan

24 teams now Rush and Co would have made the Euros as well.
[Post edited 4 Apr 2020 17:54]

This.

That team usually had to top a group that had Germany or the Netherlands (when the Netherlands had a great team) in.
These days you can finish 3rd and still be given a playoff place.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss9VZ1FHxy0
Poll: Which manager should replace Russell Martin (2) ?

Wales v West Germany on 08:29 - Apr 5 with 895 viewsVetchfielder

This was fascinating to watch yesterday. I didn't think I'd have the patience to watch the whole match but just got taken along with it.
I'd forgotten the good saves by Southall, forgot the sending off and how great a performance it was by Aizlewood too.
Nice to be reminded of Saunders's busyness and Hughes's control and aggression.
And a lot of the tackles would have been fouls these days.

Proud to have been one of the 231

Wales v West Germany on 09:09 - Apr 5 with 875 viewsFergal

Wales v West Germany on 08:29 - Apr 5 by Vetchfielder

This was fascinating to watch yesterday. I didn't think I'd have the patience to watch the whole match but just got taken along with it.
I'd forgotten the good saves by Southall, forgot the sending off and how great a performance it was by Aizlewood too.

Saunders worked so hard and Aizlewood could cetainly nut the ball.
Wales v West Germany on 11:18 - Apr 5 with 806 viewsNotLoyal

Wales v West Germany on 09:09 - Apr 5 by Fergal

Saunders worked so hard and Aizlewood could cetainly nut the ball.

He was a decent player (aizlewood) but a prime example of where he would have spent most of his life had he not had an average talent.

OK I've changed it.
Poll: The FINALS : Poster of the year 2022

Wales v West Germany on 11:24 - Apr 5 with 798 viewsblaenaugwentjack

Wales v West Germany on 15:31 - Apr 4 by Fireboy2

Better 'team' see.

Watched the game and noticed how poor as a team we were, constantly giving the ball away and banging it long. We did,nt qualify for a major tournament because we were not good enough. The welsh FA put the BELGIUM V wales 2016 qualifier on Facebook yesterday, the contrast between the two games is massive. Much more passing and football, not just the likes of Bale or Ramsey, but Allen, Williams, Chester are way ahead of the 90,s era squad.
Wales v West Germany on 12:06 - Apr 5 with 759 viewsblaenaugwentjack

fa WALES on Facebook 8/4/20 7.30 ISREAL v WALES 2016 Euro Qualifer.
Wales v West Germany on 12:36 - Apr 5 with 730 viewsKerouac

Wales v West Germany on 11:24 - Apr 5 by blaenaugwentjack

Watched the game and noticed how poor as a team we were, constantly giving the ball away and banging it long. We did,nt qualify for a major tournament because we were not good enough. The welsh FA put the BELGIUM V wales 2016 qualifier on Facebook yesterday, the contrast between the two games is massive. Much more passing and football, not just the likes of Bale or Ramsey, but Allen, Williams, Chester are way ahead of the 90,s era squad.

You didn't notice that Germany weren't exactly playing sparkling football either?

The difference you are noticing between the 2 matches is the difference between professional football between then and now.
Professional sport evolves in 25 years.

If that team could have had the same opportunity to qualify from the groups that Wales 2016 and Wales 2020 were given, they would have in my opinion.
This Wales team haven't been set the task of finishing above a major nation (Germany, Netherlands) in order to qualify. If they had they would probably fail.
We finished 2nd to Croatia in 2020.
We finished 2nd to Belgium in 2016.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss9VZ1FHxy0
Poll: Which manager should replace Russell Martin (2) ?

Wales v West Germany on 12:39 - Apr 5 with 724 viewsunion_jack

Wales v West Germany on 08:29 - Apr 5 by Vetchfielder

Didn’t we go to that game together?

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

Wales v West Germany on 16:39 - Apr 5 with 649 viewsVetchfielder

Wales v West Germany on 12:39 - Apr 5 by union_jack

Didn’t we go to that game together?

Yeah, quite possibly Tim

I was definitely there but, embarrassingly, I don't remember who I went with, how I got there or how I got home.

Proud to have been one of the 231

Wales v West Germany on 17:00 - Apr 5 with 627 viewsWxmJax

A mate had Generous 9/1 for the Derby in a double with Wales. Paid for the coach down and his day out.

Poll: England, General Election: How are you going to vote ?

Wales v West Germany on 18:26 - Apr 5 with 596 viewsunion_jack

Wales v West Germany on 16:39 - Apr 5 by Vetchfielder

Yeah, quite possibly Tim

I was definitely there but, embarrassingly, I don't remember who I went with, how I got there or how I got home.

You and me too😄.

I remember I was, I think but not entirely sure, on the upper tier the opposite end to Rush’s goal.

The rest of it is not even a blur!

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

Wales v West Germany on 23:19 - Apr 5 with 535 viewsmajorraglan

A lot has changed since 1991.
The Euro’s up to 92 had smaller numbers of teams competing as the tournaments predated the break up of some of the old Eastern Block countries. The break up of Yugoslavia, Czechoslovakia and the Soviet Union must have added 20 odd teams to the mix some good, some not so good.

The Wales team that beat Germany had some great players, I reckon they would definitely have made the grade and qualified for a finals if they were playing now.

I was there that night, great atmosphere and an awesome result.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024