Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
How would someone... 19:42 - Apr 5 with 3107 viewsDyfnant

go about ‘protecting’ an idea that could make the company they work for a significant sum of money? Want to make sure I get a reasonable cut if it works.

Poll: How much will SCFC spend on transfer fees this summer

How would someone... on 19:45 - Apr 5 with 3099 viewsFireboy2

I will tell you if you tell me your idea
How would someone... on 19:45 - Apr 5 with 3094 viewsLohengrin

I stand to be corrected but if you work for a company and this innovation you’ve thought up is within that field of endeavour as you’re under contract in the eyes of the law it’s the company’s intellectual property.

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

How would someone... on 19:49 - Apr 5 with 3074 viewsItchySphincter

How would someone... on 19:45 - Apr 5 by Lohengrin

I stand to be corrected but if you work for a company and this innovation you’ve thought up is within that field of endeavour as you’re under contract in the eyes of the law it’s the company’s intellectual property.

Agreed. You would have most likely signed away any intellectual property by accepting the terms of employment. Some companies have a good idea bonus but what's yours is theirs.

‘……. like a moth to Itchy’s flame ……’
Poll: Planet Swans or Planet Swans? Which one's you favourite.

How would someone... on 19:50 - Apr 5 with 3070 viewslondonlisa2001

If you had the idea in work, or invented something in work, and you’re an employee, it belongs to your employer, not you.

Hopefully if you ever have an idea you have it when you’re not in work. Unless you’re something like an engineer or coder etc etc, in which case your contract will often still say it’s theirs not yours.
How would someone... on 19:51 - Apr 5 with 3062 viewsraynor94

Ahh, the good old suggestions scheme with British Steel.

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

How would someone... on 19:59 - Apr 5 with 3047 viewsWxmJax

How would someone... on 19:45 - Apr 5 by Lohengrin

A company I worked for had a scheme where the best idea got a video player at the end of the year. This guy had an idea that was reckoned to save around £100k. He got £100 for his idea and a video recorder.
Another multi-European firm I worked for asked for suggestions on how to improve quality and savings. You 'could' get an award of it was the best idea but nothing concrete. There was a big push for it from the people who's job it was to improve quality and savings
I didn't partake.

Poll: England, General Election: How are you going to vote ?

How would someone... on 20:23 - Apr 5 with 3006 viewsWarwickHunt

Could it work for a competitor?
How would someone... on 20:31 - Apr 5 with 2991 viewsFireboy2

How would someone... on 20:23 - Apr 5 by WarwickHunt

Could it work for a competitor?

Nice one
Login to get fewer ads

How would someone... on 21:00 - Apr 5 with 2931 viewstheloneranger

You could do what Terry Matthews did. He completed his GPO apprenticeship at their research lab at Martlesham Heath, and then took his ideas with him to Canada to work in a chipmaking business.

Here he met his mate and future business partner Mike Cowpland, who also had great ideas, and they started up MITEL (Mike and Terry). The rest is history and Matthews became Wales first billionaire!!

Everyday above ground ... Is a good day! 😎

How would someone... on 21:09 - Apr 5 with 2921 viewsDyfnant

How would someone... on 19:50 - Apr 5 by londonlisa2001

If you had the idea in work, or invented something in work, and you’re an employee, it belongs to your employer, not you.

Hopefully if you ever have an idea you have it when you’re not in work. Unless you’re something like an engineer or coder etc etc, in which case your contract will often still say it’s theirs not yours.

I thought of it last night, only work Monday to Wednesday on minimum wage these days (had enough of shifts) does that count as in work? My idea could be used worldwide by a number of companies, could be very useful in this troubled climate.

How would someone... on 00:28 - Apr 6 with 2855 viewsDJack

How would someone... on 21:09 - Apr 5 by Dyfnant

I thought of it last night, only work Monday to Wednesday on minimum wage these days (had enough of shifts) does that count as in work? My idea could be used worldwide by a number of companies, could be very useful in this troubled climate.

Honestly, go to a competitor (with a lawyer). Good luck mate.

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan

How would someone... on 00:43 - Apr 6 with 2846 viewslondonlisa2001

How would someone... on 00:28 - Apr 6 by DJack

Honestly, go to a competitor (with a lawyer). Good luck mate.

If you go to a competitor to offer them something that would harm your current employer you’d be sacked best case. Any competitor who took you up on it wouldn’t be worth a damn anyway as it’s completely unethical and any decent company would avoid it as they’d be taken to the cleaners.
How would someone... on 00:45 - Apr 6 with 2843 viewslondonlisa2001

Depends what type of work and what your contract says. Most people are shocked to find out the company they work for owns their ideas.
How would someone... on 02:24 - Apr 6 with 2823 viewsDJack

How would someone... on 00:43 - Apr 6 by londonlisa2001

If you go to a competitor to offer them something that would harm your current employer you’d be sacked best case. Any competitor who took you up on it wouldn’t be worth a damn anyway as it’s completely unethical and any decent company would avoid it as they’d be taken to the cleaners.

Aye, but the fact that your emploter can own your ideas and yet you only get a wage and not a share of the profits is criminally one sided.

If your idea has indirectly come from/during your employment then why the fck does your employer own it? As far as ethical goes look at JRM's company and many others, it's fine then to be unethical, it's just "finding opportunities".

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan

How would someone... on 08:03 - Apr 6 with 2765 viewsdickythorpe

Is it a breathing aid Dyfnant?

If so resign and go to a competitor.
[Post edited 6 Apr 2020 8:04]
How would someone... on 09:37 - Apr 6 with 2724 viewsWarwickHunt

How would someone... on 00:45 - Apr 6 by londonlisa2001

Depends what type of work and what your contract says. Most people are shocked to find out the company they work for owns their ideas.

Is it specific to your industry? Can you protect the IP?
How would someone... on 09:50 - Apr 6 with 2703 viewsladyjack

Are you close to retirement ?
How would someone... on 22:02 - Apr 6 with 2599 viewsDyfnant

How would someone... on 09:50 - Apr 6 by ladyjack

Are you close to retirement ?

Gonna be 10 - 15 years probably

How would someone... on 22:03 - Apr 6 with 2594 viewsDyfnant

How would someone... on 09:37 - Apr 6 by WarwickHunt

Is it specific to your industry? Can you protect the IP?

Pretty much so. Don’t know how I’d go about the IP bit

How would someone... on 22:04 - Apr 6 with 2591 viewsDyfnant

How would someone... on 08:03 - Apr 6 by dickythorpe

Is it a breathing aid Dyfnant?

If so resign and go to a competitor.
[Post edited 6 Apr 2020 8:04]

No.

How would someone... on 22:28 - Apr 6 with 2553 viewsWarwickHunt

How would someone... on 22:03 - Apr 6 by Dyfnant

Pretty much so. Don’t know how I’d go about the IP bit

PM’d you.
How would someone... on 22:56 - Apr 6 with 2521 viewslondonlisa2001

How would someone... on 02:24 - Apr 6 by DJack

Aye, but the fact that your emploter can own your ideas and yet you only get a wage and not a share of the profits is criminally one sided.

If your idea has indirectly come from/during your employment then why the fck does your employer own it? As far as ethical goes look at JRM's company and many others, it's fine then to be unethical, it's just "finding opportunities".

Sorry, only just seen this.

I agree - it’s crazy that you don’t own an idea you have.

But your employer owns your entire output during work, so it’s no different.
How would someone... on 07:15 - Apr 7 with 2460 viewsProfessor

How would someone... on 22:56 - Apr 6 by londonlisa2001

Sorry, only just seen this.

I agree - it’s crazy that you don’t own an idea you have.

But your employer owns your entire output during work, so it’s no different.

Universities being the odd exception where the originator keeps much of the IP
How would someone... on 07:19 - Apr 7 with 2457 viewsdickythorpe

How would someone... on 22:04 - Apr 6 by Dyfnant

No.

In that case " I'm out"
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024