Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
RIP Rhyl FC 10:40 - Apr 22 with 6324 viewsLandore_Jack

Former Welsh champions Rhyl FC are set to close down after 141 years of existence.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52376408

#backtojack

RIP Rhyl FC on 14:16 - Apr 22 with 4675 viewshobo

Awful news
RIP Rhyl FC on 14:34 - Apr 22 with 4659 viewsswancity

Not good news for football in general. You can’t see the Welsh Premier League continuing in its current format for too much longer can you ?

Only an idiot would eat a turkey curry on Christmas day

RIP Rhyl FC on 17:20 - Apr 22 with 4550 viewsThrasher6

Hate to see any club go under.

Poll: Social Distancing: When will it be an obsolete word?

RIP Rhyl FC on 17:31 - Apr 22 with 4541 viewsNeath_Jack

RIP Rhyl FC on 14:34 - Apr 22 by swancity

Not good news for football in general. You can’t see the Welsh Premier League continuing in its current format for too much longer can you ?

When we get independence, us, those up the road and the gogs can join that league.

I want a mate like Flashberryjacks, who wears a Barnsley jersey with "Swans are my second team" on the back.
Poll: Would you support military action against Syria on what we know so far?

RIP Rhyl FC on 17:35 - Apr 22 with 4535 viewsKilkennyjack

RIP Rhyl FC on 14:34 - Apr 22 by swancity

Why ?

Facilities are v much improved.
Crowds have increased recently.
A lot of ex-Academy players get to earn a few bob.

Much less financial exposure due to semi-pro nature of the League.

I think they are ready to add a couple more teams.
Its a success story.

Beware of the Risen People

RIP Rhyl FC on 18:08 - Apr 22 with 4508 viewspencoedjack

RIP Rhyl FC on 17:31 - Apr 22 by Neath_Jack

When we get independence, us, those up the road and the gogs can join that league.

A few idiots on here will be ecstatic
RIP Rhyl FC on 18:10 - Apr 22 with 4505 viewsswancity

RIP Rhyl FC on 17:35 - Apr 22 by Kilkennyjack

Why ?

Its a success story.

Financial pressures mainly and without the (significant) commercial revenue they’re unsustainable. Just look at Neath FC. And to improve or even maintain its current playing standards Clubs have to pay decent money which they can’t afford. Just like the EFL really only a smaller scale. Much smaller.

With costs increasing and income streams limited it can’t go on. I’d disagree about attendances too as there’s not much interest in the League even in Wales.

It needs to go back to the North / South split. And somehow to find a way of allowing Swansea Cardiff Newport Merthyr back into a Welsh FA Cup with Europa League qualification still for the winner.

RIP Rhyl FC on 22:15 - Apr 22 with 4405 viewsKilkennyjack

RIP Rhyl FC on 18:10 - Apr 22 by swancity

Financial pressures mainly and without the (significant) commercial revenue they’re unsustainable. Just look at Neath FC. And to improve or even maintain its current playing standards Clubs have to pay decent money which they can’t afford. Just like the EFL really only a smaller scale. Much smaller.

With costs increasing and income streams limited it can’t go on. I’d disagree about attendances too as there’s not much interest in the League even in Wales.

It needs to go back to the North / South split. And somehow to find a way of allowing Swansea Cardiff Newport Merthyr back into a Welsh FA Cup with Europa League qualification still for the winner.

Agree with you on the Cup, thats a shame.

Instead of looking at Neath, look at the other 11 clubs that did not go bust...?

You are wrong on attendances.
Caernarfon average is near 700, an established league like the National League has half the league averaging less than 2000.
Its building slowly, but building.

Most are community clubs with a few rich local backers in the mix, nothing wrong with that.

Its far more sustainable than the full time pro game in leagues 1 and 2.
[Post edited 22 Apr 2020 22:17]

Login to get fewer ads

RIP Rhyl FC on 22:26 - Apr 22 with 4392 viewspencoedjack

RIP Rhyl FC on 22:15 - Apr 22 by Kilkennyjack

Agree with you on the Cup, thats a shame.

Instead of looking at Neath, look at the other 11 clubs that did not go bust...?

You are wrong on attendances.
Caernarfon average is near 700, an established league like the National League has half the league averaging less than 2000.
Its building slowly, but building.

Most are community clubs with a few rich local backers in the mix, nothing wrong with that.

Its far more sustainable than the full time pro game in leagues 1 and 2.
[Post edited 22 Apr 2020 22:17]

http://www.european-football-statistics.co.uk/attn/avewal.htm

Average crowd is 300 odd in the league
RIP Rhyl FC on 22:54 - Apr 22 with 4377 viewsKilkennyjack

RIP Rhyl FC on 22:26 - Apr 22 by pencoedjack

http://www.european-football-statistics.co.uk/attn/avewal.htm

Average crowd is 300 odd in the league

Its still a relatively new league.
Facilities have dramatically improved, look at local Carmarthen Town.

All the welsh clubs (except Merthyr) are now back in the Welsh system.

Its not trying to be a professional full time league, but the product is good and getting better year on year.

Its something that deserves support.

RIP Rhyl FC on 23:07 - Apr 22 with 4364 viewsbuilthjack

RIP Rhyl FC on 22:54 - Apr 22 by Kilkennyjack

Its not trying to be a professional full time league, but the product is good and getting better year on year.

Since the introduction of artificial pitches, which cost the FAW half a million a pop, I personally think the standard has gone down. It's encouraged passing, but there are less tackles, the ball bounces high, the ball,runs away a lot etc. It brings in lots of revenue for clubs, as they let their pitches out a lot at £30 an hour. But spoilt the actual game. Just my opinion.

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

RIP Rhyl FC on 23:17 - Apr 22 with 4356 viewsswancity

RIP Rhyl FC on 22:54 - Apr 22 by Kilkennyjack

The Premier League in Wales has been going for almost 30 years. The standard hasn't improved and if anything it's getting worse. The 'product' certainly isn't good. Did you watch, for example the Welsh Cup game this season when Caramarthen lost 0-4 at home to 2nd Division Ammanford? Carmarthen were awful. Albeit a 43 year old Trundle was in the Ammanford team.

And with attendances in some cases down to around 100-150 which includes the freebies handed out by the 30 odd players, coaches, managers etc involved, not too many are paying to watch it.

I'd like to see a return to the previous North and South split which will reduce costs for Clubs as well as ensure more local derbies. With may be a Final play off game.

RIP Rhyl FC on 23:09 - Apr 24 with 4121 viewswestwalesed

I really enjoy watching the Cymru Premier - it's honest grass roots football. The quality isn't great but the grounds are cosy, in some stunning locations and the clubs are friendly. Ironically I never got to Rhyl!

If I've said it once though I've said it a thousand times - why the exile clubs don't have a youth side in the system baffles me.

Poll: Live in a country with no internet?

RIP Rhyl FC on 12:43 - Apr 27 with 3966 viewsBarrySwan

RIP Rhyl FC on 17:35 - Apr 22 by Kilkennyjack

Why ?

Its a success story.

I can only assume that you never attend a LOW game.

The standard of basic ball skills are almost too low to comment on and the crowds, aka the Welsh public who attend are virtually non existent.

I do go half a dozen times a season and never cease to be amazed by the incredibly poor standard of play. A crying shame about the demise of Rhyl however, it's always sad to see a club go under whatever system or tier that they play in.

As regards the super financial situation that you describe including the charming cosy little earning medium for failed Academy players who aren't good enough to earn a full time living in the sport, I've lost count of how many times Barry have gone bust, so many times that they have used up so many reformed club names that they are actually ludicrously officially called Barry Town United at the moment as they run out of relevant names under which to reform as a new financial entity

Here's a little tale about how close Cardiff City were to landing up in the League of Wales ( and presumably oblivion) in the 1990s.

A good friend of mine who I grew up and went to school with who was a very good semi pro player playing for several sides in the English pyramid set up just below league level told me several years ago that back in the 90s he received an evening call off Rick Wright.

My friends family had operated concessions at Barry Island owned by Wright for some years and he still ran a business at the time at the fair ground and was a fairly close friend.

He said that Wright had rung him to tell him that he had decided to take Cardiff City into the League of Wales following urgings from the FAW that all Welsh teams should play in their 'new baby'.

My friend said that after almost fainting at the news he was unsuccessful in persuading Wright over the phone not to do anything so daft despite pointing out that it would be the end of Cardiff City as a serious footballing entity.

After the initial failure to bring Wright round to his senses he jumped in his car and dashed round to Wright's house in order to try and reverse his decision, he found several other acquaintances of Wrights who he had rung with the same story already there all trying to talk him out of the madness that he had decided to embark on.

My mate maintained that they all stayed until the early hours of the next morning as he was adamant that he was taking Cardiff into the LOW before they all finally managed to talk him out of it by the skin of their teeth and they all left still fearing that he might reverse his reversal and still pull Cardiff out of the Football League.

Fortunately for Welsh football he didn't.

[Post edited 28 Apr 2020 10:53]
RIP Rhyl FC on 12:55 - Apr 27 with 3953 viewsBarrySwan

RIP Rhyl FC on 23:09 - Apr 24 by westwalesed

I really enjoy watching the Cymru Premier - it's honest grass roots football. The quality isn't great but the grounds are cosy, in some stunning locations and the clubs are friendly. Ironically I never got to Rhyl!

If I've said it once though I've said it a thousand times - why the exile clubs don't have a youth side in the system baffles me.

Could it be something to do with revulsion of the senile bullying incompetent fools who virtually bankrupted the FAW by taking on Newport, Merthyr and the others through the courts before being defeated?
RIP Rhyl FC on 16:26 - Apr 27 with 3885 viewsCountyJim

Should have stuck with us and other exiled Clubs but backed down to FAW where we beat them in High Court
RIP Rhyl FC on 16:57 - Apr 27 with 3867 viewswestwalesed

RIP Rhyl FC on 12:55 - Apr 27 by BarrySwan

Could it be something to do with revulsion of the senile bullying incompetent fools who virtually bankrupted the FAW by taking on Newport, Merthyr and the others through the courts before being defeated?

Could you tell me more about this because I'm not aware. Are you saying the FAW tried to force the Welsh clubs in the English pyramid into the LOW?

RIP Rhyl FC on 17:49 - Apr 27 with 3819 viewsDarran

RIP Rhyl FC on 16:57 - Apr 27 by westwalesed

Could you tell me more about this because I'm not aware. Are you saying the FAW tried to force the Welsh clubs in the English pyramid into the LOW?

Yes he is.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

RIP Rhyl FC on 10:38 - Apr 28 with 3715 viewsBarrySwan

RIP Rhyl FC on 16:57 - Apr 27 by westwalesed

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football-welsh-exiles-to-take-legal-action-o

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/faw-loses-court-case-1615503.html

To think that those complete and utter freeloading morons on the FAW actually tried to ban Welsh clubs from competing at the highest level that they were capable of almost denies belief and their actions virtually bankrupted the FAW using money that could and should have been spent on developing Welsh football.

To complete their display of hypocrisy they continue to allow TNS whose ground is in England to carry on playing in the LOW which directly contradicts their own stated policy as used against Newport and the other exiled clubs during the court case period.

They even got FIFA involved at the time who issued a statement that no registered football club could take action against their national football association and that there would be huge repercussions for Newport and Co.

Newport told them to get lost and mind their own business and that FIFA didn't take precedence over British law, exit FIFA from the fray with their tails between their legs after just the one statement.

I've played just about every sport under the sun and there is really only one common view that is held throughout them all.......That you only get better by playing against better opposition.

There is of course just one exception to that almost universally held view... The Welsh Football association who think that withdrawing from higher competition to play against a bunch of parks players in front of 200 people is the best way to raise standards.
[Post edited 28 Apr 2020 10:45]
RIP Rhyl FC on 13:18 - Apr 28 with 3654 viewsoh_tommy_tommy

Great to see wales has its own league and representation in European competitions .

It’s hugely improved in facilities from nearly 30 years ago also .

Shame about Rhyl FC , hopefully they’ll try and resurrect another form of the club like so many welsh clubs have done in the past .
[Post edited 28 Apr 2020 13:34]

Poll: DO you support the uk getting involved in Syria

RIP Rhyl FC on 13:37 - Apr 28 with 3640 viewsDarran

RIP Rhyl FC on 13:18 - Apr 28 by oh_tommy_tommy

Great to see wales has its own league and representation in European competitions .

It’s hugely improved in facilities from nearly 30 years ago also .

Shame about Rhyl FC , hopefully they’ll try and resurrect another form of the club like so many welsh clubs have done in the past .
[Post edited 28 Apr 2020 13:34]

Within the last few years or so Neath FC with LT10 in the side asked the FAW if they could switch their top of the table clash against TNS to the Sunday because it clashed with the Wales v England rugger match,TNS had agreed to the switch.
The FAW refused. About 20 people turned up to watch.
The FAW are a pathetic bunch of old cronies which is probably why Dai Griff watches everyone of our home games sitting in the Directors Box on a freebie instead of watching a welsh league game.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

RIP Rhyl FC on 14:22 - Apr 28 with 3619 viewswestwalesed

RIP Rhyl FC on 10:38 - Apr 28 by BarrySwan

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football-welsh-exiles-to-take-legal-action-o

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/faw-loses-court-case-1615503.html

To think that those complete and utter freeloading morons on the FAW actually tried to ban Welsh clubs from competing at the highest level that they were capable of almost denies belief and their actions virtually bankrupted the FAW using money that could and should have been spent on developing Welsh football.

To complete their display of hypocrisy they continue to allow TNS whose ground is in England to carry on playing in the LOW which directly contradicts their own stated policy as used against Newport and the other exiled clubs during the court case period.

They even got FIFA involved at the time who issued a statement that no registered football club could take action against their national football association and that there would be huge repercussions for Newport and Co.

Newport told them to get lost and mind their own business and that FIFA didn't take precedence over British law, exit FIFA from the fray with their tails between their legs after just the one statement.

I've played just about every sport under the sun and there is really only one common view that is held throughout them all.......That you only get better by playing against better opposition.

There is of course just one exception to that almost universally held view... The Welsh Football association who think that withdrawing from higher competition to play against a bunch of parks players in front of 200 people is the best way to raise standards.
[Post edited 28 Apr 2020 10:45]

Cheers for that rundown.

It's always been a mystery to me - I have travelled quite widely in the Faroe Islands nd their league is bustling - on a population TOTAL of 50,000 which is less than half of Pembrokeshire!

RIP Rhyl FC on 14:34 - Apr 28 with 3601 viewsBarrySwan

RIP Rhyl FC on 14:22 - Apr 28 by westwalesed

Cheers for that rundown.

It's always been a mystery to me - I have travelled quite widely in the Faroe Islands nd their league is bustling - on a population TOTAL of 50,000 which is less than half of Pembrokeshire!

Lack of other things to do possibly?

Don't get me wrong I'd like to see a strong LOW with players displaying decent skill levels feeding on class players to the national team.

But years and years after seeing the superior skills and ball control of players in other European domestic leagues, years and years after boasts from the FAW of our kids playing on smaller pitches which would improve their game as they wouldn't be worn out chasing all over the place our leading LOW teams almost without fail get knocked out in the qualifying rounds of European competion by pub teams from countries we've never heard of.

The lack of basic skills suggests to me that there have been an awful lot of senile old fools on the FAW over the years enjoying free trips home and abroad who failed year after year after year to put adequate coaching schemes into place which if such programmes had been implemented at least might now have resulted in a watchable domestic game with perhaps a modicum of minor success in the early rounds of European competition rather than the annual ritual humiliation that occurs at present.
[Post edited 28 Apr 2020 14:51]
RIP Rhyl FC on 15:10 - Apr 28 with 3585 viewsYrAlarch

You are spot on with your analysis BarrySwan.
[Post edited 28 Apr 2020 15:12]
RIP Rhyl FC on 16:03 - Apr 28 with 3559 viewsoh_tommy_tommy

RIP Rhyl FC on 13:37 - Apr 28 by Darran

Within the last few years or so Neath FC with LT10 in the side asked the FAW if they could switch their top of the table clash against TNS to the Sunday because it clashed with the Wales v England rugger match,TNS had agreed to the switch.
The FAW refused. About 20 people turned up to watch.
The FAW are a pathetic bunch of old cronies which is probably why Dai Griff watches everyone of our home games sitting in the Directors Box on a freebie instead of watching a welsh league game.

Diabolical stuff that Daz

Poll: DO you support the uk getting involved in Syria

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024