Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The death knell for cash transactions... 13:48 - Apr 23 with 6784 viewsSwanjaxs

With most shops/supermarkets encouraging Contactless payments because of C-19, could this be the start of the end for cash?

With lockdown restrictions hopefully being eased in the coming months, surely pubs, restaurants and retailers will insist on contactless for the foreseeable future?

Personally I haven't used cash for a very long time.

You might think I've forgotten, but one day, when you least expect it, my time will come.
Poll: Celtic and Rangers should be fast tracked into the Championship ASAP

The death knell for cash transactions... on 13:51 - Apr 23 with 2630 viewsMrSwerve

Haven't used cash properly in years. Only when people want cash in hand which is a pretty rare payment. The only time I used it regularly was in my younger days going out to bars, but everywhere has contactless now so there's no need. They will get rid of physical money sometime in the future...it may not be too far away.

Poll: Decision day - who wins the PL title?

The death knell for cash transactions... on 14:11 - Apr 23 with 2613 viewsNotLoyal

You would think it was something to do with a world currency being slowly introduced.

OK I've changed it.
Poll: The FINALS : Poster of the year 2022

The death knell for cash transactions... on 16:00 - Apr 23 with 2553 viewsGlyn1

I've been set in my ways and taken out a set amount of cash at the start of the week and only used the cards for big stuff. That way I can keep track of my spending. But I haven't used cash for weeks and have no idea how much I've spent.

But like you all I'm seriously considering getting a cashback card and just using that.

What I certainly haven't used for years is a cheque book.
[Post edited 23 Apr 2020 16:02]

Poll: Who should be our next manager? Please name them.

The death knell for cash transactions... on 16:23 - Apr 23 with 2524 viewslondonlisa2001

I almost never have any cash whatsoever. Don’t use it for anything at all. If I take £50 out of a cash point once every 3 months that’ll be it.
The death knell for cash transactions... on 16:34 - Apr 23 with 2522 viewsCatullus

The death knell for cash transactions... on 14:11 - Apr 23 by NotLoyal

You would think it was something to do with a world currency being slowly introduced.

That I'd like to see, along with a one world government but nope, it ain't happening.

The USA won't give up dollars and the EU will do anything to keep the Euro going, Russia won't take part.

Hang on, the USA might go for it if the whole world adopted the dollar? The Russiands definitely wouldn't then though.

People railed against national ID cards yet if we all had to use contactless the government could trace us at every transaction anyway, every time we use our phones or drive too. Cash might well disappear and that means a lot more banks closing and it all going online.

This virus is making people think about the future in a whole new way, things we maybe would have refused to do will become the new normal, like many more people working from home.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

The death knell for cash transactions... on 16:47 - Apr 23 with 2508 viewsPozuelosSideys

Cash is king. Without at least having it as an option (even if you dont use it personally and prefer plastic), you give Governments and Corporations control of everything.

"Michu, Britton and Williams could have won 3-0 on their own. They wouldn't have required a keeper."
Poll: Hattricks

The death knell for cash transactions... on 17:04 - Apr 23 with 2487 viewsSwanjaxs

The death knell for cash transactions... on 16:47 - Apr 23 by PozuelosSideys

Cash is king. Without at least having it as an option (even if you dont use it personally and prefer plastic), you give Governments and Corporations control of everything.

Unfortunately C-19 might, in the long run, have the final say 😕

You might think I've forgotten, but one day, when you least expect it, my time will come.

The death knell for cash transactions... on 17:14 - Apr 23 with 2475 viewsGlyn1

The death knell for cash transactions... on 16:23 - Apr 23 by londonlisa2001

I almost never have any cash whatsoever. Don’t use it for anything at all. If I take £50 out of a cash point once every 3 months that’ll be it.

What the heck are your credit card statements like?

I imagine in Fulham even the Big Issue sellers have card readers.

Poll: Who should be our next manager? Please name them.

Login to get fewer ads

The death knell for cash transactions... on 17:24 - Apr 23 with 2450 viewscontroversial_jack

The death knell for cash transactions... on 17:14 - Apr 23 by Glyn1

I don't think the Landore social club takes cards
The death knell for cash transactions... on 17:27 - Apr 23 with 2448 viewsunion_jack

So will it also mean the end of The Chinese takeaway?

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

The death knell for cash transactions... on 17:38 - Apr 23 with 2431 viewsWhiterockin

It will kill the black economy, not a bad thing.
The death knell for cash transactions... on 17:43 - Apr 23 with 2422 viewsairedale

The death knell for cash transactions... on 17:27 - Apr 23 by union_jack

So will it also mean the end of The Chinese takeaway?

And barber shops.
The death knell for cash transactions... on 17:45 - Apr 23 with 2409 viewslondonlisa2001

The death knell for cash transactions... on 17:14 - Apr 23 by Glyn1

Funnily, my Big Issue man is one of the few times I use cash...

You spend the same whether on a card or in cash. But all public transport here is contactless, all food is contactless, drinks in a pub contactless, cinema contactless. Even a cup of coffee is contactless (although I don’t like to spend £3 on a coffee apart from once in a blue moon). If I pay someone for something I transfer it electronically. I can go weeks and weeks without using cash.
The death knell for cash transactions... on 17:54 - Apr 23 with 2409 viewsDr_Winston

The death knell for cash transactions... on 17:45 - Apr 23 by londonlisa2001

Funnily, my Big Issue man is one of the few times I use cash...

You spend the same whether on a card or in cash. But all public transport here is contactless, all food is contactless, drinks in a pub contactless, cinema contactless. Even a cup of coffee is contactless (although I don’t like to spend £3 on a coffee apart from once in a blue moon). If I pay someone for something I transfer it electronically. I can go weeks and weeks without using cash.

I had no idea that they've knocked the daily limit of contactless transactions on the head. Knew they'd upped the amount due to the current situation but when I first got one there was a max of five uses per day to limit fraud.

Only now I've looked into it because of this and the limit has gone. Never bothered checking before.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

The death knell for cash transactions... on 18:03 - Apr 23 with 2403 viewsSwanjaxs

The death knell for cash transactions... on 17:38 - Apr 23 by Whiterockin

It will kill the black economy, not a bad thing.

Bed and breakfast establishment's, self employed, farmers etc will have to declare absolutely everything.

Lucky they didn't have contactless only back in Malcolm Struel's day's at the Vetch when every attendance was 2,347 👀

The death knell for cash transactions... on 18:03 - Apr 23 with 2396 viewslondonlisa2001

The death knell for cash transactions... on 17:54 - Apr 23 by Dr_Winston

I had no idea that they've knocked the daily limit of contactless transactions on the head. Knew they'd upped the amount due to the current situation but when I first got one there was a max of five uses per day to limit fraud.

Only now I've looked into it because of this and the limit has gone. Never bothered checking before.

I think that went ages and ages ago?

I use it 4 or 5 times sometimes just on transport. We get travel much cheaper if we use contactless in London.
The death knell for cash transactions... on 18:10 - Apr 23 with 2387 viewsDr_Winston

The death knell for cash transactions... on 18:03 - Apr 23 by londonlisa2001

I think that went ages and ages ago?

I use it 4 or 5 times sometimes just on transport. We get travel much cheaper if we use contactless in London.

It probably did, I'd just never bothered checking.

I never really had that many daily transactions as a rule anyway, only when I went to the pub.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

The death knell for cash transactions... on 18:15 - Apr 23 with 2377 viewslondonlisa2001

The death knell for cash transactions... on 18:10 - Apr 23 by Dr_Winston

It probably did, I'd just never bothered checking.

I never really had that many daily transactions as a rule anyway, only when I went to the pub.

It’s travel for me. Couple of tubes, couple of buses. Mounts up,
The death knell for cash transactions... on 18:16 - Apr 23 with 2382 viewscmajack

The death knell for cash transactions... on 16:00 - Apr 23 by Glyn1

I've been set in my ways and taken out a set amount of cash at the start of the week and only used the cards for big stuff. That way I can keep track of my spending. But I haven't used cash for weeks and have no idea how much I've spent.

But like you all I'm seriously considering getting a cashback card and just using that.

What I certainly haven't used for years is a cheque book.
[Post edited 23 Apr 2020 16:02]

This. The poster hasn't used cash for weeks and doesn't know how much he has spent. Multiply that millions of times with youngsters on a weekend and you will soon find lots getting into financial trouble. It's far too easy to just swipe your card and sometimes it feels as if you haven't spent anything. Prefer cash myself .
The death knell for cash transactions... on 18:30 - Apr 23 with 2369 viewsAl_Bundy

Biblical prophecy unfolding ... the cashless society
The death knell for cash transactions... on 18:33 - Apr 23 with 2364 viewsbuilthjack

Using card all,the time is so easy, but then you haven't a clue what you spend.
At least with cash you can keep an eye on your spending.
Cash is king.

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

The death knell for cash transactions... on 18:37 - Apr 23 with 2348 viewslondonlisa2001

The death knell for cash transactions... on 18:33 - Apr 23 by builthjack

Using card all,the time is so easy, but then you haven't a clue what you spend.
At least with cash you can keep an eye on your spending.
Cash is king.

You can get an instant check on what you’ve spent on your phone. Quicker than looking in your wallet.

It’s easier to keep it all on the card than a mix. And given you can’t use cash on transport in London you may as well stick to a card.

Just transfer a set amount a week onto a contactless card and that’s the same as going to the cash point.
The death knell for cash transactions... on 18:41 - Apr 23 with 2343 viewsAl_Bundy

The death knell for cash transactions... on 18:37 - Apr 23 by londonlisa2001

You can get an instant check on what you’ve spent on your phone. Quicker than looking in your wallet.

It’s easier to keep it all on the card than a mix. And given you can’t use cash on transport in London you may as well stick to a card.

Just transfer a set amount a week onto a contactless card and that’s the same as going to the cash point.

Until you lose your phone then suddenly you own a house share in Lagos ..
The death knell for cash transactions... on 18:47 - Apr 23 with 2332 viewsSwanjaxs

The death knell for cash transactions... on 18:37 - Apr 23 by londonlisa2001

Plus you can do all your banking on your phone, you can move money from one account to another, PayPal, Google pay, Samsung pay and plenty more for all your transactions, and as you say you can check your balance in the matter of seconds.

I see a cashless society in as little as five years, possibly before with the current pandemic around.

The death knell for cash transactions... on 18:48 - Apr 23 with 2327 viewscontroversial_jack

The death knell for cash transactions... on 18:41 - Apr 23 by Al_Bundy

Until you lose your phone then suddenly you own a house share in Lagos ..

I believe contactless is capped daily. It really is a great system, so easy
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024