Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The London Government v WAG 22:36 - Apr 24 with 4129 viewsDarran

Independent Wales my arse.

https://www.bbc.com/news/amp/business-52409358?__twitter_impression=true

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

The London Government v WAG on 09:50 - Apr 29 with 982 viewsjohnlangy

The London Government v WAG on 08:46 - Apr 29 by YrAlarch

Gordon Brown!

Jeez! This is the mentally unstable (allegedly) ex Chancellor of the Exchequer under whose tenure the controls over the Banks were relaxed to such an extent that it precipitated the crisis of 2008 and resulted in us taxpayers having to fork out to rescue them.

Shouldn't touch him with a bargepole and doesn't say much for those in the WAG.

It baffles me that people are even now making comments like this. Does anyone have a memory anymore ?

Whatever relaxing of regulations that happened under Labour/Gordon Brown in the build up to the credit crunch the Tories pilloried Labour for not relaxing them even more.

The logic is that if the Tories had been in power the crunch would have hit us even worse.

And, of course, it's obvious that Gordon Brown's financial management of the little old UK economy 'precipitated the crisis of 2008' which plunged the entire world into financial crisis, starting with the sub prime mortgage shitstorm that hit Lehman's at first, from memory, and all those other banks worldwide.
The London Government v WAG on 10:03 - Apr 29 with 953 viewsJoe_bradshaw

The London Government v WAG on 09:50 - Apr 29 by johnlangy

It baffles me that people are even now making comments like this. Does anyone have a memory anymore ?

Whatever relaxing of regulations that happened under Labour/Gordon Brown in the build up to the credit crunch the Tories pilloried Labour for not relaxing them even more.

The logic is that if the Tories had been in power the crunch would have hit us even worse.

And, of course, it's obvious that Gordon Brown's financial management of the little old UK economy 'precipitated the crisis of 2008' which plunged the entire world into financial crisis, starting with the sub prime mortgage shitstorm that hit Lehman's at first, from memory, and all those other banks worldwide.

Neither party comes out of deregulation of financial institutions well and I don’t see how political point scoring can be made by either side.

The Tories deregulated and surely would have done more after 1997 but if it was such a terrible idea then Brown had eleven years to put it right. Literally weeks before the crash he praised the UK financial sector to the hilt in the Mansion House speech.

Politicians eh? I’d throw them all under a bus.

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

The London Government v WAG on 10:04 - Apr 29 with 947 viewsCatullus

Because the tories wanted it to go further doesn't make it right or better though, it was a Labour government kow towing to corporate greed. If they hadn't maybe the recession wouldn't have hit the UK so badly because we would have been less exposed?

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

The London Government v WAG on 10:14 - Apr 29 with 933 viewsDr_Winston

One thing isn't the same as the other, even though most people view them as one.

There was little that Gordon Brown could have done to prevent the financial crisis (the roots of which lay in deregulation under the Clinton administration, deregulation copied elsewhere and made worse later). These things happen and it's harsh to lay blame at his feet for it.

There was quite a bit he could have done about the profligate spending during his tenure as Chancellor, the raids on the pension funds, the giving away of our gold reserves, decades of crippling PFI debt cynically passed off as "investment" and various other drunken sailor on a binge type spending sprees he went on. He inherited a fundamentally sound economy from Ken Clarke and blew billions.

About the only good thing he did was keep us out of the Euro.

This post has been edited by an administrator

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

The London Government v WAG on 10:25 - Apr 29 with 918 viewsCatullus

The London Government v WAG on 10:14 - Apr 29 by Dr_Winston

One thing isn't the same as the other, even though most people view them as one.

There was little that Gordon Brown could have done to prevent the financial crisis (the roots of which lay in deregulation under the Clinton administration, deregulation copied elsewhere and made worse later). These things happen and it's harsh to lay blame at his feet for it.

There was quite a bit he could have done about the profligate spending during his tenure as Chancellor, the raids on the pension funds, the giving away of our gold reserves, decades of crippling PFI debt cynically passed off as "investment" and various other drunken sailor on a binge type spending sprees he went on. He inherited a fundamentally sound economy from Ken Clarke and blew billions.

Didn't Brown have big arguments with Blair about the Euro, Blair wanted in but Brown stuck to his rules I think.

The pension fund raids, they dripped Royal Mails pension fund, it was properly funded before Browns grab but the grab, along with taking more and more of RM profits pushed the whole company to a bad place ending up with Cameron's government having to take over the pension scheme and bail it out for billions.

That is the problem with our economy and the political cycle, one government can end up soending a lot of time trying to cure the problems the previous lot left behind and sometimes they only make things worse.
Blair and Brown inherited a stable economy, Cameron and Osborne inherited a mess which Osborne also used to his own ends.

Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?

The London Government v WAG on 10:31 - Apr 29 with 908 viewsDr_Winston

The London Government v WAG on 10:25 - Apr 29 by Catullus

Didn't Brown have big arguments with Blair about the Euro, Blair wanted in but Brown stuck to his rules I think.

The pension fund raids, they dripped Royal Mails pension fund, it was properly funded before Browns grab but the grab, along with taking more and more of RM profits pushed the whole company to a bad place ending up with Cameron's government having to take over the pension scheme and bail it out for billions.

That is the problem with our economy and the political cycle, one government can end up soending a lot of time trying to cure the problems the previous lot left behind and sometimes they only make things worse.
Blair and Brown inherited a stable economy, Cameron and Osborne inherited a mess which Osborne also used to his own ends.

Blair was all for the Euro. He was all for lots of unpleasant things.

Much like the NHS, sometimes things are too important to be left to political whims but how else do you do it?

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

The London Government v WAG on 10:31 - Apr 29 with 908 viewsjohnlangy

The London Government v WAG on 10:03 - Apr 29 by Joe_bradshaw

Neither party comes out of deregulation of financial institutions well and I don’t see how political point scoring can be made by either side.

The Tories deregulated and surely would have done more after 1997 but if it was such a terrible idea then Brown had eleven years to put it right. Literally weeks before the crash he praised the UK financial sector to the hilt in the Mansion House speech.

Politicians eh? I’d throw them all under a bus.

I agree.
The London Government v WAG on 10:33 - Apr 29 with 904 viewsjohnlangy

The London Government v WAG on 10:04 - Apr 29 by Catullus

Because the tories wanted it to go further doesn't make it right or better though, it was a Labour government kow towing to corporate greed. If they hadn't maybe the recession wouldn't have hit the UK so badly because we would have been less exposed?

Agreed as well. Neither were right but would have been worse under the Tories.
Login to get fewer ads

The London Government v WAG on 10:40 - Apr 29 with 893 viewsHighjack

Brown wanted in too but they disagreed on the timings. Blair wanted to jump straight in and was forever looking for ways to circumvent the need of a referendum that he had constantly promised. Brown wanted a slower more phased entry (ooh matron).

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

The London Government v WAG on 10:44 - Apr 29 with 881 viewsCatullus

The London Government v WAG on 10:40 - Apr 29 by Highjack

Brown wanted in too but they disagreed on the timings. Blair wanted to jump straight in and was forever looking for ways to circumvent the need of a referendum that he had constantly promised. Brown wanted a slower more phased entry (ooh matron).

Yeah, like I said, Brown stuck to his rules

The London Government v WAG on 10:48 - Apr 29 with 877 viewsHighjack

The London Government v WAG on 10:44 - Apr 29 by Catullus

Yeah, like I said, Brown stuck to his rules

He was on the verge of resigning apparently. Luckily the Prince of Darkness Lord Mandelson was in control of his positivity chip and activated it just in time.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.

The London Government v WAG on 10:56 - Apr 29 with 862 viewsCatullus

The London Government v WAG on 10:48 - Apr 29 by Highjack

He was on the verge of resigning apparently. Luckily the Prince of Darkness Lord Mandelson was in control of his positivity chip and activated it just in time.

Mandelsohn would have been excellent in a Hammer Horror Dracula film! He must have had some super powers to be able to do so much bad stuff and keep rising through the ranks, all the way to Brussels, but then, friends in high places and maybe a bit of dangerous knowledge?

Brown was a dour old Curmudgeon, still is. He's one of those people who manages to look more mserable when he smiles!

The London Government v WAG on 11:00 - Apr 29 with 854 viewsHighjack

The London Government v WAG on 10:14 - Apr 29 by Dr_Winston

“ These things happen and it's harsh to lay blame at his feet for it.”

Oh absolutely it’s harsh but when you’re in power you’re blamed for anything and everything that goes wrong. It’s always been the same.

The London Government v WAG on 11:10 - Apr 29 with 844 viewsDr_Winston

The London Government v WAG on 11:00 - Apr 29 by Highjack

“ These things happen and it's harsh to lay blame at his feet for it.”

Oh absolutely it’s harsh but when you’re in power you’re blamed for anything and everything that goes wrong. It’s always been the same.

True enough.

The London Government v WAG on 20:59 - May 22 with 694 viewsDarran

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/debenhams-swansea-shopping-council

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

The London Government v WAG on 21:28 - May 22 with 667 viewspikeypaul

Come on Cattulus, you are not allowed to say the way it was on here.
Half the socialust tw@ts here still believe the weapons of mass destruction nonsense Labour used to start the illegal war.
Labour started an illegal war that's caused millions of deaths,and the scum on here still defend them,but hey we see how they are desperate to politicise the Pandemic so nothing is beyond the scum.

OUT

AFLI

OUT AFLI SUCK IT UP REMOANER LOSERS 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧
Poll: Where wil Judas be sitting when we play Millwall?

The London Government v WAG on 21:38 - May 22 with 663 viewsjack2jack

The London Government v WAG on 20:59 - May 22 by Darran

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/debenhams-swansea-shopping-council

Well done to Swansea council, the last thing the city centre needs, is for Debenhams to pull out of The Quadrant Centre. Not altogether happy about the way Debenhams went about it mind, saying that they would close, here in Swansea, held a gun to our head, by the look of it. But a proactive way of safeguarding the future of the Quadrant, together with many jobs, and the profile of Swansea. Let's make no bones about it, if another flagship store closed here, it would be disastrous.
The London Government v WAG on 22:03 - May 22 with 645 viewsJack_Meoff

Finance own the politicians. It's not the other way around.
[Post edited 22 May 2020 22:03]

If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face--forever.

The London Government v WAG on 23:27 - May 22 with 596 viewslonglostjack

You have to look at the Zeitgeist of the time though. Labour was bending over backwards to prove that they could manage the economy by following Tory party orthodoxy. Blair started it with PPI. Brown continued it with looser regulation of the banking sector. The Tories at the time of course didn’t think it went far enough. Along comes the subprime mortgage scandal, a consequence of the very same deregulation the Tories were in favour of.

Poll: Alcohol in the lockdown

The London Government v WAG on 12:39 - May 23 with 525 viewsJackSomething

I'll sit back and await the flood of comments praising the labour-led Swansea Council for this shall I...? I'm sure Pikey will be the first.

You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help.

The London Government v WAG on 13:33 - May 23 with 497 viewsWhiterockin

I wonder how I would feel if I had a struggling business in Swansea and still had to pay business rates.
The London Government v WAG on 13:39 - May 23 with 491 viewsBarrySwan

You mean this Lehman brothers bank?

https://order-order.com/2008/09/15/flashback-gordon-opening-lehmans-hq/
The London Government v WAG on 14:35 - May 23 with 456 viewsDJack

The London Government v WAG on 13:33 - May 23 by Whiterockin

I wonder how I would feel if I had a struggling business in Swansea and still had to pay business rates.

At another point in time you'd be the first to complain about the council letting a major employer (and financial draw) leave Swansea.

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan

The London Government v WAG on 17:48 - May 23 with 406 viewsWhiterockin

The London Government v WAG on 14:35 - May 23 by DJack

At another point in time you'd be the first to complain about the council letting a major employer (and financial draw) leave Swansea.

No I wouldn't. I honestly believe in market forces deciding how a business survives or fails. Ok we are in unprecedented times, but this would only be a stay of execution for Debenhams, they have not moved with the times and they were seriously in trouble before this pandemic.
The London Government v WAG on 18:06 - May 23 with 397 viewsDJack

The London Government v WAG on 17:48 - May 23 by Whiterockin

No I wouldn't. I honestly believe in market forces deciding how a business survives or fails. Ok we are in unprecedented times, but this would only be a stay of execution for Debenhams, they have not moved with the times and they were seriously in trouble before this pandemic.

Ok, ta.

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024