Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Holidays? 12:30 - Apr 26 with 14414 viewskarnataka

I was supposed to be flying to Lisbon first thing this morning then driving into the Badajoz area of central Spain for a few days. Got me wondering what sort of plans or major family holidays others on here have had to cancel or reschedule and whether they'd had refunds, vouchers or lost money.
Holidays? on 14:46 - May 9 with 2064 viewslifelong

Holidays? on 14:37 - May 9 by sainthelens

Then they are dull as fck.
You have to call their bluff, hold on and wait for it to be cancelled ( which inevitably would have). Thus they then get full refund.

It could possibly turn out that they may have been as ‘dull as feck’ to have paid the 9 grand.
Holidays? on 14:59 - May 9 with 2047 viewsWarwickHunt

Holidays? on 12:59 - May 9 by Whiterockin

Accommodation is starting to open again slowly in Spain, this will be accelerated in the coming months.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/europe/spain/articles/coronaviru

Holiday flights will be restarting well before September. Obviously there are flights now running into June and onward or there would be no 14 day quarantine planned.

So basically, don’t book a holiday...

Budget holiday flights need to be 80% full to break even - that’s not going to happen by September.
If they do fly, it won’t be at the price you booked in February.
[Post edited 9 May 2020 15:22]
Holidays? on 15:08 - May 9 with 2039 viewslifelong

Holidays? on 14:59 - May 9 by WarwickHunt

Budget holiday flights need to be 80% full to break even - that’s not going to happen by September.

This is the problem people face, if Spain should open it’s holiday Islands by the end of next month the likes of Tui will be saying that their holidays are now available. Who the hell would want to travel out there even if they were, and should you cancel your booking then you will lose everything you’ve paid.
Holidays? on 15:16 - May 9 with 2029 viewsWarwickHunt

Holidays? on 15:08 - May 9 by lifelong

This is the problem people face, if Spain should open it’s holiday Islands by the end of next month the likes of Tui will be saying that their holidays are now available. Who the hell would want to travel out there even if they were, and should you cancel your booking then you will lose everything you’ve paid.

The FCO are currently advising against non-essential travel. Until that changes, you should be entitled to a refund.

Always use a credit card if you can, anyway.
Holidays? on 15:25 - May 9 with 2016 viewsmajorraglan

It’s a very difficult to call hotels are opening albeit at reduced capacity. We are due to travel to the States at the end of next month, balance of payment was due last weekend and I have decided to pass on it. Hopefully will get a voucher for my deposit, but I am already resigned to losing it.

The quarantine isn’t being introduced until the end of May which seems bizarre, it should have been introduced at short notice. I get the impression the Government have only introduced it in response to public outrage and wouldn’t be surprised if it’s binned within a short period of time. They should have introduced it in February not at the end of May. I am not sure I’d want to head to Spain and other places this summer, they have some pretty decent medical facilities, while they will have lots of clinics and doctors not sure they would have the intensive care facilities to treat large hotels full of ill holiday makers.
Holidays? on 15:37 - May 9 with 2006 viewsmonmouth

You'd have to be mental to go to Yankee Doodle wouldn't you? Donnie Dettol is actively setting out to kill as many as possible.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Holidays? on 16:00 - May 9 with 1984 viewsWhiterockin

Holidays? on 15:25 - May 9 by majorraglan

It’s a very difficult to call hotels are opening albeit at reduced capacity. We are due to travel to the States at the end of next month, balance of payment was due last weekend and I have decided to pass on it. Hopefully will get a voucher for my deposit, but I am already resigned to losing it.

The quarantine isn’t being introduced until the end of May which seems bizarre, it should have been introduced at short notice. I get the impression the Government have only introduced it in response to public outrage and wouldn’t be surprised if it’s binned within a short period of time. They should have introduced it in February not at the end of May. I am not sure I’d want to head to Spain and other places this summer, they have some pretty decent medical facilities, while they will have lots of clinics and doctors not sure they would have the intensive care facilities to treat large hotels full of ill holiday makers.

I agree it should already be in place but possibly they are giving people 2 weeks to get back. People are still flying for work and the 2 weeks grace could be for them.
Holidays? on 16:00 - May 9 with 1982 viewsWhiterockin

Holidays? on 15:16 - May 9 by WarwickHunt

The FCO are currently advising against non-essential travel. Until that changes, you should be entitled to a refund.

Always use a credit card if you can, anyway.

You really don't get it do you.
Login to get fewer ads

Holidays? on 18:33 - May 9 with 1935 viewsAnotherJohn

One thing I'd be interested to hear about is how people get on with refunds for flights booked through agents. There seem to be a number of likely problems, including: (1) you may face a hefty processing fee deducted by the agent from the money returned by the airline; (2) seeking a credit card refund under s27 of the CCA may not work as the agent will say that it delivered its service by arranging the booking; and (c) seeking a "chargeback" from the credit card company (the other route) will probably get the same response and is also subject to a 120 day time limit. I have a problem with three Qatar flights from Cardiff in mid-July cancelled, The difficulty with the alternatives of rebooking or requesting a voucher is that I can't see any information about when Qatar will start flights from Cardiff again. It looks like the fee on a cash refund will be a couple of hundred pounds at least.
Holidays? on 19:54 - May 9 with 1911 viewsWarwickHunt

Holidays? on 16:00 - May 9 by Whiterockin

You really don't get it do you.

Oh I do. It’s an obvious irrelevance at the moment and for the foreseeable future.
[Post edited 9 May 2020 19:55]
Holidays? on 20:35 - May 9 with 1878 viewsJackinexile1

Holidays? on 12:59 - May 9 by Whiterockin

Accommodation is starting to open again slowly in Spain, this will be accelerated in the coming months.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/europe/spain/articles/coronaviru

Holiday flights will be restarting well before September. Obviously there are flights now running into June and onward or there would be no 14 day quarantine planned.

Only an idiot would book a holiday right now
Holidays? on 20:36 - May 9 with 1874 viewsJackinexile1

Holidays? on 14:59 - May 9 by WarwickHunt

You couldn't make it up, people bookinmg holidays!
Holidays? on 11:34 - May 10 with 1810 viewsploppy

Holidays? on 15:25 - May 9 by majorraglan

The US still has a travel ban in place for travellers from the UK and Europe (and others presumably) - unless I've missed something. Personally, I doubt they'll lift that ban before the end of June - although The Donald seems to want to get everything going regardless of the risks. On that basis, wouldn't you be entitled to a full refund?
Holidays? on 11:30 - May 13 with 1706 viewsWhiterockin

Holidays? on 19:54 - May 9 by WarwickHunt

Oh I do. It’s an obvious irrelevance at the moment and for the foreseeable future.
[Post edited 9 May 2020 19:55]

Holiday flights?

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/airports/cwl
Holidays? on 13:03 - May 13 with 1663 viewsWarwickHunt

Holidays? on 11:30 - May 13 by Whiterockin

Holiday flights?

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/airports/cwl

FFS - they aren't holiday flights, tourists aren't allowed in!

Cyprus has a curfew - my mate who lives there now was stopped three times by the police going a few miles to the supermarket in Paphos. €3000 fine if you're out without a valid reason.
Spanish people aren't even allowed to travel to their islands.

"COVID-19 Exceptional Travel Advisory Notice
As countries respond to the COVID-19 pandemic, including travel and border restrictions, the FCO advises British nationals against all but essential international travel. Any country or area may restrict travel without notice. If you live in the UK and are currently travelling abroad, you are strongly advised to return now, where and while there are still commercial routes available. Many airlines are suspending flights and many airports are closing, preventing flights from leaving".

Until the FCO advice changes, any travel insurance will be invalid and there'll be a 14 day quarantine period to come back to.
You'd also have to be fûcking insane to book a holiday now.

Don't forget to pack your Speedos...
Holidays? on 14:00 - May 13 with 1627 viewslondonlisa2001

Holidays? on 13:03 - May 13 by WarwickHunt

FFS - they aren't holiday flights, tourists aren't allowed in!

Cyprus has a curfew - my mate who lives there now was stopped three times by the police going a few miles to the supermarket in Paphos. €3000 fine if you're out without a valid reason.
Spanish people aren't even allowed to travel to their islands.

"COVID-19 Exceptional Travel Advisory Notice
As countries respond to the COVID-19 pandemic, including travel and border restrictions, the FCO advises British nationals against all but essential international travel. Any country or area may restrict travel without notice. If you live in the UK and are currently travelling abroad, you are strongly advised to return now, where and while there are still commercial routes available. Many airlines are suspending flights and many airports are closing, preventing flights from leaving".

Until the FCO advice changes, any travel insurance will be invalid and there'll be a 14 day quarantine period to come back to.
You'd also have to be fûcking insane to book a holiday now.

Don't forget to pack your Speedos...

You would indeed.

But there is a specific problem with people who’ve previously paid a deposit.

If you’ve paid a deposit and you’re now hitting the date where the balance is due common sense says the holiday won’t happen, so don’t pay the balance. But if the holiday company hasn’t cancelled the holiday yet (as they haven’t for holidays starting in a couple of months, say) then not paying the balance means legally you lose the whole lot. You’ve breached a contract and aren’t entitled to a refund of anything. The only way to avoid that is to pay the balance and wait for the holiday to be officially cancelled. But that means paying thousands of pounds extra now for a holiday you know won’t happen, effectively lending a holiday company that may well go bust in the meantime, your money for a few months.

It’s a complete scam and the government need to sort it out.

By definition it’s hitting more ‘ordinary families’ as they tend to use package holidays more where this deposit / balance situation exists.
Holidays? on 14:25 - May 13 with 1598 viewspencoedjack

Holidays? on 14:00 - May 13 by londonlisa2001

You would indeed.

If you’ve paid a deposit and you’re now hitting the date where the balance is due common sense says the holiday won’t happen, so don’t pay the balance. But if the holiday company hasn’t cancelled the holiday yet (as they haven’t for holidays starting in a couple of months, say) then not paying the balance means legally you lose the whole lot. You’ve breached a contract and aren’t entitled to a refund of anything. The only way to avoid that is to pay the balance and wait for the holiday to be officially cancelled. But that means paying thousands of pounds extra now for a holiday you know won’t happen, effectively lending a holiday company that may well go bust in the meantime, your money for a few months.

By definition it’s hitting more ‘ordinary families’ as they tend to use package holidays more where this deposit / balance situation exists.

My balance was due in June for a holiday in September I just changed my holiday to next year.

Initially I thought I had to pay an admin fee but I didn’t.
Holidays? on 17:23 - May 13 with 1534 viewskarnataka

Holidays? on 14:25 - May 13 by pencoedjack

My balance was due in June for a holiday in September I just changed my holiday to next year.

Have they moved it to next year for the same price?
Holidays? on 17:25 - May 13 with 1528 viewslondonlisa2001

Holidays? on 14:25 - May 13 by pencoedjack

That’s a sensible solution.

Many older people won’t feel comfortable in doing that of course.
Holidays? on 17:31 - May 13 with 1522 viewslifelong

You would indeed.

You will lose your deposit but if you have paid more than the deposit you should get that refunded. Those are the terms and conditions when booking with Tui.
Holidays? on 17:38 - May 13 with 1508 viewsmajorraglan

You would indeed.

Which is exactly the position I am in. I was supposed to have paid the balance 10 days ago but didn’t, hoping to get a voucher but if I don’t I will just have to kiss the deposit good bye.
Holidays? on 07:40 - May 25 with 1388 viewskarnataka

Feeling a bit gutted this morning. Today is the day I was finally going to be in Machu Picchu, Peru, a place I've wanted to see for decades. I know it will still be there next year and hopeully I will still get there but that doesn't feel like much consolation this morning.
Holidays? on 10:26 - May 25 with 1323 viewsmajorraglan

Holidays? on 17:38 - May 13 by majorraglan

Which is exactly the position I am in. I was supposed to have paid the balance 10 days ago but didn’t, hoping to get a voucher but if I don’t I will just have to kiss the deposit good bye.

Update,

Spoke to BA on Friday. Our flights are still operating and will not be cancelled, but they have changed their guidance which means I am now entitled to apply for a voucher which I can use any time up until April 2022 which is great news. The people I work for have indicated that if the government introduces a quarantine and employees are unable to work, staff will be required to use their additional leave for the quarantine period which will mean a 2.5 week trip will consume 4.5 weeks Leave - staying home is the clear winner.

Karnataka,
Really feel for you losing out on your trip to Peru, it’s an iconic place. As you say there is always next year, Peru isn’t the kind of place you’d want to be if you were taken ill though. Hope you get there next year.
Holidays? on 11:15 - May 25 with 1291 viewscontroversial_jack

Holidays? on 10:26 - May 25 by majorraglan

Update,

Spoke to BA on Friday. Our flights are still operating and will not be cancelled, but they have changed their guidance which means I am now entitled to apply for a voucher which I can use any time up until April 2022 which is great news. The people I work for have indicated that if the government introduces a quarantine and employees are unable to work, staff will be required to use their additional leave for the quarantine period which will mean a 2.5 week trip will consume 4.5 weeks Leave - staying home is the clear winner.

Karnataka,
Really feel for you losing out on your trip to Peru, it’s an iconic place. As you say there is always next year, Peru isn’t the kind of place you’d want to be if you were taken ill though. Hope you get there next year.

South America is getting hit badly at the moment.
Holidays? on 13:08 - May 25 with 1261 viewskarnataka

Holidays? on 10:26 - May 25 by majorraglan

Update,

Karnataka,

Cheers major and glad you've got something satisfactory sorted out with your situation too. Fortunately, there does seem to be some common sense around with regards to cancellations. In a worst case scenario, I could have been around £3.5k out of pocket spread across 4 trips but I think I've got it down to about £250 that I won't get back either in refunds or vouchers so I think I've got off lightly.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024